The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garcia Morales II, Ocotber 20th no rematch for Khan!!!

+17
manos de piedra
TopHat24/7
bellchees
Seanusarrilius
bhb001
owen10ozzy
azania
hampo17
Rowley
Gordy
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
JabMachineMK2
Fists of Fury
trottb
88Chris05
Valero's Conscience
irishbrads
21 posters

Go down

Garcia Morales II, Ocotber 20th no rematch for Khan!!! Empty Garcia Morales II, Ocotber 20th no rematch for Khan!!!

Post by irishbrads Thu 26 Jul 2012, 8:11 am

So Richard schaefer has confirmed that Garcia and Morales will meet again on October 20th. Garcia won the 1st meeting on a UD, whats your thoughts on this, will the result be different this time around? I know Zab Judah was hinting at a fight with him and Garcia after Garcia's win over Khan, thats a fight i'd personally rather see than Garcia v Morales II.

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Garcia Morales II, Ocotber 20th no rematch for Khan!!! Empty Re: Garcia Morales II, Ocotber 20th no rematch for Khan!!!

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 26 Jul 2012, 8:37 am

Regardless of Garcia's win over Khan, I don't rate him that highly but from what I here he beat Morales quite easily so seems to show little ambition on Garcia's part to go for the rematch for his next fight.

I guess he wants another defence and payday before stepping up and will probably lose.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Garcia Morales II, Ocotber 20th no rematch for Khan!!! Empty Re: Garcia Morales II, Ocotber 20th no rematch for Khan!!!

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:04 am

Not really surprised by this - Garcia's been on the fringes of the higher echelons until now, but now that he's there he's likely to milk it for all the money it's worth.

As Alma says, though, it's not much of fight. Garcia isn't a contender or a mere 'titlist' anymore - he's the WBC/WBA unified, Ring Magazine champion, so basically thedivisional top dog. So for him to be feasting off an over-the-hill fighter like Morales who he's already beaten convingly a few months ago is disappointing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:07 am

With regards to Garcia being unified. Weren't the WBC trying to get whoever won the fight to drop one of the belts, or did they see sense?

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:38 am

alma wrote:Pointless fight. That's all that needs to be said basically.

Agreed, although Scheafer has come out and said Morales problems before the last garcia fight, (think he had a bladder operation or something) affected his training and you can never write him off etc, even said as Morales gave Garcia the chance then its only right Garcia gave him a chance back, and here's me thinking that you had to earn the right to fight for a world title Doh

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

alma wrote:You could argue I suppose that he's due a comfortable defence but I for one feel that as fighters only fight twice a year these days, easy defences should be banned!

Entirely agree!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:19 am

Would love Erik to somehow beat him, but really cannot see it. As said above, an entirely pointless fight on the face of it, though I'll be supporting El Terrible one last time (hopefully!).

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:22 am

Seems pointless. Garcia comprehensively beat Morales last time. He'd have gotten eaten alive in Eriks prime, but youth powered through.

Its a shame because there doesn't seem to be any other outcome - Khan was boxing Garcias ears off until he got KTFO so a rematch could show a different result. Can't see it in Morales vs Garcia II

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 11:17 am

alma wrote:
I disagree slightly. He clearly won the first two and a half rounds, I wouldn't say he was boxing his ears off, but Garcia did land some decent shots and I was fearing slightly for Khan given his porcelain chin even before the first knockdown. Khan was just too easy to hit.

I don't think there's been a fight yet that I haven't feared for Khan throughout the 12 rounds - he's proven it only takes one punch. People seemed to assume he had grown this extra chin because he took a punch from Maidana in the 10th round of their fight - but bear in mind he was wobbling all over the show, he was lucky it wasn't stopped and lets be honest, if he'd landed that punch in round 1 - 6 Khan would have been gone. There just wasn't all of Maidana behind it. One of those impact punches that look amazing but didn't have the power of a fresh out of the blocks Maidana.

Still did well to stand up to it, but he's always gonna have chin issues.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:18 pm

Can't stop laughing at people praising Khan for avoiding getting hit for 7 minutes and think that warrants a rematch.

At least the Morales fight was more competitive.

Khan got blasted embarrasingly and deserves nout. Its his 2nd straight loss and all he has done is cry about rematches.

Its still woeful matchmaking but if its a choice of who warrents a rematch more between Khan or Erik, it has to be Erik for at least going the distance. China chin couldn't manage that
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Can't stop laughing at people praising Khan for avoiding getting hit for 7 minutes and think that warrants a rematch.

Khan got blasted embarrasingly and deserves nout. Its his 2nd straight loss and all he has done is cry about rematches.

Its still woeful matchmaking but if its a choice of who warrents a rematch more between Khan or Erik, it has to be Erik for at least going the distance. China chin couldn't manage that

You are 100% correct. Khan has been exposed as an overhyped fighter. I have said this all along. He would get knocked out again in a rematch.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

Gordy, if Khan was twice as much of a 'hype job' as you claim he is, he'd still only be a quarter of the hype job that Chris Eubank actually was.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:36 pm

Eubank was a far better fighter than Khan. He did not rely on media hype but he did the business in the ring against top class fighters like Watson and Benn. Part of an incredibly strong era of fighters like Benn, Watson, Calzaghe and Collins. He did not lose until late in his career against world class fighters. Khan has already been knocked out several times by very average fighters. Nobody in their right mind would think Khan is better than Eubank!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:40 pm

Gordy wrote: He did not lose until late in his career against world class fighters.

Yep, that Carl Thompson was the very dictionary definition of world class.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

He also fought nobodies up until Benn. Fighting someone with a record of 33-40-20 in your 22nd fight is poor.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:46 pm

Yep, it sure was a competitive era in Britain with Eubank, Benn and Watson kncoking around. It was an even stronger era over in America with Nunn, Jones, McClellan and Toney plying their trade, and Eubank didn't want to go anywhere near them.

Khan, as a Light-Welterweight, has at least tested himself against the best his division has to offer him and has gone after the toughest challenges - which is more than can be said of Eubank at Middleweight. And Super-Middleweight. And Cruiserweight.....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:49 pm

Rematch with Morales is pointless. Only way Garcia loses is if he thinks it will be an easier fight and doesn't trian.

Don't know what Khan has done to deserve a rematch. Rematches are often warranted if there is controversy or a razor thin decision. Neither happened.

I'd rather someone like Maidana or Mathysse get a shot, but I suppose Garcia wants an easier first defence.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:51 pm

Of course there was controversy, Az. Premature stoppage, remember?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

I cant believe alot of what I am reading about Euabank. Eubank was a great fighter and one of the best Britain has ever produced. Khan is average at best and will not go down as a great. Eubank and Khan are miles apart.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:00 pm

You often have trouble believing what you read in regards to Eubank, Gordy - particularly when it's a direct quote from his autobiography saying that he had no intention of ever fighting Jones, because he pretty much knew that he'd have lost.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:01 pm

The best Britian has ever produced doesn't compare to the best USA produced in the same era.

Dwain Chambers is one of the best sprinters Britain has ever produced. He'd be hard pressed to make it to the semis of the Olympics.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:01 pm

No response to any hype job remark - Just ignorance in my opinion, a stab at annoying other posters without bringing any kind of debate, insight or intellect.

Onto the original post - I'm not completely sold on this as a rematch however it does also depend on who else threw their hat in for a fight with Garcia.

A look around would suggest that their was only really three names in the hat for a bout:

Matthysse - Tied up in a September bout with Olesugen.

Peterson - The less said about him the better and I would hope he never gets another World title shot.

Maidana - Fighting Karass in September and has confirmed he is staying at Welter for the foreseeable future.

Bradley - Well he is up at Welterweight now and whilst their is talk he could return to Light Welter we all know he is most likely to rematch Pacman in October/November.

Outside of those you have Guzman who has only just started campaigning at LW and doesn't warrant a shot yet, J Vargas who is an upcoming prospect and isn't going to shift tickets, H Soto who was knocked out in his last fight.

So as I said that only really leaves the 3 names mentioned so far:

Judah - Disagree with the OP in that I would hate to see this. I think Garcia walks him down very easily and either bullies him for the entire fight or stops him late. Judah hasn't done anything which even remotely means he deserves a shot...in fact the last time he was relevant was when he fought Mayweather.

For me that only leaves Morales & Khan. I actually wouldn't say the first fight between Garcia & Morales was as one sided as many would have people believe (certainly not a 118-109 as one judge had it picard ) I had Morales up after 6 rounds but from their on Garcia was just to strong and started walking him down.

The chances are that Schaefer is talking complete guff with regards to Morales not being 100% etc heading into the fight....but if their is just the slight chance that was the case then logic would say that he could perhaps put up a better showing this time around (assuming of course he stays fit).

However the flip side is that in comparison Khan is the bigger ticket...for their first fight Garcia made his biggest pay day, $525,000 I believe, and whilst he did blow Khan out of the water to a certain degree I do think that a 2nd fight would sell alot better than a Garcia v Morales rematch will.

If the fight was as easy as his father said it was and Garcia is confident he could do exactly the same again then I am slightly confused as to why he would take a Morales rematch...he will earn less money and presumably have it tougher...chances are your not stopping him even though he is well past his best.

So for me both Khan & Morales were the most viable options for his first defence. Morales went close with Maidana (some think he won), beat the young prospect in Cano and then was in the fight with Garcia first time around. Khan has lost his last two, however lets not forget the controversy surrounding the bout with Peterson which for me writes off the result...before that he had beaten contenders in Judah, Maidana, Malignaggi and unified the WBA & IBF belts.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

Not too sure how much the Khan camp would be interested in a rematch, to be fair. After losing 2 in a row then they need to re-build and probably wouldn't fancy facing any sort of puncher.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Gordy, if Khan was twice as much of a 'hype job' as you claim he is, he'd still only be a quarter of the hype job that Chris Eubank actually was.

Erm When I figure out what that actually means I'll come back to you.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

I can't figure out if Goldenboy are trying to feed Garcia to the lions (Kahn) or protect him (Morales). Either way, pointless rematch really, was hoping Erik would call it. If he is fit and has anything left he could win this, but the state of him last time out? (Gall bladder, i know)

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

Seanusarrilius - I know he was a little (being polite) flabby around the waist last time out but how did you actually see the fight?

The problem is that aside from the two rematches who else is really out their. The way people go on about this you would think their is someone blindingly obvious who Goldenboy/Garcia camp are ignoring...

The fact is that their isn't...

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

Robert Guerrero fights at the weekend. If he comes through that he would be a good opponent.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

Hes fighting at Welter though
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:03 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Hes fighting at Welter though

He answered my question in our Q & A with him saying he'll fight in any division if its a good fight for him. And Garcia is a very good fight for him. He won't be ranked at Lightwelter but surely he's a better option than Morales.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

alma wrote:Can't believe how much Guerrero's stock has risen in the last 15 months, despite the fact he hasn't fought! And his last fight was a points win over Katsidis

Is an odd one with Guerrero, he does appear to have a status way beyond anything he has actually done in the ring would justify. Remember when he beat Katsidis people were saying he would be a good opponent for Floyd, as if beating Kats qualified you to leap two weight divisions and fight the best fighter in the world. Am not saying he can’t fight as on the few occasions I have seen him he looks like he can but really tend to agree that his status is way beyond his achievements thus far.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:14 pm

Gordy wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Can't stop laughing at people praising Khan for avoiding getting hit for 7 minutes and think that warrants a rematch.

You are 100% correct. Khan has been exposed as an overhyped fighter. I have said this all along. He would get knocked out again in a rematch.

Are there any boxers active today you don't think are hype jobs??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:16 pm

Gordy wrote:I cant believe alot of what I am reading about Euabank. Eubank was a great fighter and one of the best Britain has ever produced. Khan is average at best and will not go down as a great. Eubank and Khan are miles apart.

Now you know how everyone else feels.......... Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:17 pm

azania wrote:The best Britian has ever produced doesn't compare to the best USA produced in the same era.

Dwain Chambers is one of the best sprinters Britain has ever produced. He'd be hard pressed to make it to the semis of the Olympics.

Olympic gold medallist Linford Christie.... Erm

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Seanusarrilius - I know he was a little (being polite) flabby around the waist last time out but how did you actually see the fight?

The problem is that aside from the two rematches who else is really out their. The way people go on about this you would think their is someone blindingly obvious who Goldenboy/Garcia camp are ignoring...

The fact is that their isn't...

I saw the fight. Morales was winning after 4/5 then Garcia, age and pizza caught up with him. I just don't want to se a legend lose to fighters he would have killed in his prime, let alone twice . He even busted Garcia up in 1st fight.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:39 pm

alma wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Gordy wrote:

Are there any boxers active today you don't think are hype jobs??

Clearly boxing is rubbish these days and was much better in the 80s and 90s when ITV showed fights and Christopher Livingston Eubank, Steve 'Interesting' Davis and Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards bestrode the world like a colossal triumvirate

I don't know Gordy's age and don't much care but I would guess the likes of Eubank, Benn and Lewis were around when he first got into the sport, is remarkable how many of us consider the era we first got into the sport as a golden age.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:47 pm

A lot depends what follows it Alma, you see frequent references to Lewis being an exciting heavyweight bandied about now, this was certainly not how he was perceived at the time, nor was his era seen as a particularly golden age for the division.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:12 pm

I dont think the K2 era will be remembered as a golden age, mainly because America switched off during it. Although in Europe it will be seen much more fondly. I often wonder whether it will become a significant moment in boxing history as the heavyweight crown(s) moved West to East for the first time ever really.

I think the Klitschkos like Larry Holmes an to a lesser extent Lennox Lewis will be remembered in history alot better as they are seen now though and appreciated as better fighters. The divisions that many of the other top heavyweights with similar dominance werent light years ahead.

Far more often than not the heavyweight division has been criticed and complained about at the time only to be looked back and more fondly remembered. Other than the first heavyweight era, the Dempsey era and then the Ali era everything else has pretty much been criticised for lacking quality or having an unworthy champion heading it.

Ironically, I think the first heavyweight era and the Dempsey years were not particulalry strong either and lacked in many cases actual real "heavyweights". The first era I think has a massive advantage because they were trend setters and did not have to contest the weight of history. Had Jeffries/Fitzsimmons/Corbett/Sharkey arived on the scene after Alis era then it would probably be seen as a weak era. Similarly if the Klitschkos were the first heavyweight champions I think history would remember them as near undefeatable giants.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:35 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
azania wrote:The best Britian has ever produced doesn't compare to the best USA produced in the same era.

Olympic gold medallist Linford Christie.... Erm

2nd best UK sprinter of all time makes him ONE OF the best.......

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:40 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I dont think the K2 era will be remembered as a golden age, mainly because America switched off during it. Although in Europe it will be seen much more fondly. I often wonder whether it will become a significant moment in boxing history as the heavyweight crown(s) moved West to East for the first time ever really.

I think the Klitschkos like Larry Holmes an to a lesser extent Lennox Lewis will be remembered in history alot better as they are seen now though and appreciated as better fighters. The divisions that many of the other top heavyweights with similar dominance werent light years ahead.

Far more often than not the heavyweight division has been criticed and complained about at the time only to be looked back and more fondly remembered. Other than the first heavyweight era, the Dempsey era and then the Ali era everything else has pretty much been criticised for lacking quality or having an unworthy champion heading it.

Ironically, I think the first heavyweight era and the Dempsey years were not particulalry strong either and lacked in many cases actual real "heavyweights". The first era I think has a massive advantage because they were trend setters and did not have to contest the weight of history. Had Jeffries/Fitzsimmons/Corbett/Sharkey arived on the scene after Alis era then it would probably be seen as a weak era. Similarly if the Klitschkos were the first heavyweight champions I think history would remember them as near undefeatable giants.

Can you imagine that? Shocked 6'6" and 245lbs at the turn of the century, they genuinely would be giants among men!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 26 Jul 2012, 7:32 pm

the first fight was more competitive than some seem to be suggesting. maybe they didnt watch it. the scorecards seemed biased towards garcia as morales couldnt win the belt anyway. having said that, the ref did everything in his power to keep morales in the fight just after the heavy knock down.
im sure there are better fights for garcia right now in terms of ranking. but morales brings money and attention to the table, and the likelyhood of an entertaining fight. garcia knows he can hurt him and will probably look for the knock out. if morales can turn up in better shape, with his favouring by the wbc, it wouldnt shock me if he outboxed him like he did early on last time, and got the decision.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 26 Jul 2012, 8:26 pm

We'll watch but it isn't an inspiring defense, IMO.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:50 pm

i think morales garcia makes more money than garica khan II.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperCert Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:57 pm

alma wrote:Pointless fight. That's all that needs to be said basically.

Yep.

SuperCert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down