The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25 Greatest Wrestlers to never be WWE World Champion!

+12
bretmeharty
Miz NG
dallym
Samo
Kay Fabe
paulscholes
MIG
VDT
The Awesome Giz
MetalMotty
Marsh
Crimey
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

25 Greatest Wrestlers to never be WWE World Champion! - Page 2 Empty 25 Greatest Wrestlers to never be WWE World Champion!

Post by Crimey Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

After weeks of build up, mainly out of my laziness, the list is finally here, and you can see who was our runaway leader at the top of the pile in the Greatest Wrestlers to never be WWE World Champion!

To be eligible for this list you had to have not won either of the WWE World Titles, and have wrestled in WWE, WCW, TNA or ECW significantly rather than in one match etc.

There are certainly a few surprises from the 22 votes I received. Overall there are 52 people who got at least one vote.

49=. X-Pac- 1 point
49=. Finlay- 1 point
49=. Tazz- 1 point
49=. Tito Santana- 1 point
45=. R-Truth- 2 points
45=. Tommy Dreamer- 2 points
45=. Ron Simmons- 2 points
45=. Rick Martel- 2 points
41=. Jeff Jarrett- 3 points
41=. Nigel McGuinness- 3 points
41=. Val Venis- 3 points
41=. A-Train- 3 points
38=. Cody Rhodes- 4 points
38=. Jim Duggan- 4 points
38=. Wade Barrett- 4 points
35=. Honky Tonk Man- 5 points
35=. Justin Credible- 5 points
35=. Bam Bam Bigelow- 5 points
31=. AJ Styles- 6 points
31=. Gory Guerrero- 6 points
31=. Road Dogg- 6 points
31=. Lance Storm- 6 points
28=. Raven- 7 points
28=. Al Snow- 7 points
28=. Jimmy Snuka- 7 points
26=. Heath Slater- 9 points
26=. Lex Luger- 9 points

Now we're down to the ones who matters!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

25 Greatest Wrestlers to never be WWE World Champion! - Page 2 Empty Re: 25 Greatest Wrestlers to never be WWE World Champion!

Post by Crimey Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:42 pm

4. Owen Hart- 78 points

Spoiler:

Other championships held: WWF European Championship (1 time)
WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times)
WWF World Tag Team Championship (4 times)

Owen Hart who so tragically died in 1999 never made it to the heights of his elder brother by winning the WWF World Championship. 606v2 believe that his technical wrestling ability means that he deserved to. Unfortunately it seems unlikely even if Owen Hart had lived longer that he would have won the world championship.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

25 Greatest Wrestlers to never be WWE World Champion! - Page 2 Empty Re: 25 Greatest Wrestlers to never be WWE World Champion!

Post by Crimey Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:45 pm

3. William Regal- 92 points

Spoiler:

Other championships held: World Tag Team Championship (4 times)
WWF Hardcore Championship (3 times)
WWF/E European Championship (4 times)
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (2 times)

Cynics will say that William Regal is only so high because of the UK membership of 606v2 proving biased. However many will disagree and point out that Regal has one of the most popular characters in history, whether being a dastardly heel or a comedic heel he has always been popular. The closest he came was when he unexpectedly won the King of the Ring while GM of Raw, however a Wellness violation ended any chance he had of winning the world championship leaving 606v2 feeling unsatisfied.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:48 pm

2. Mr Perfect- 103 points

Spoiler:

Other championships held: WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times)

One of the greatest Intercontinental champions of all time, Curt Hennig would never make the jump to world championship level in the WWF. Clearly 606v2 thought he was perfect by voting him into 2nd place with a huge 103 points. While Mr Perfect did return to WWE in 2002, at 43 it was unlikely that he'd have ever won the world title and he would die just a year later.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 pm

1. 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper- 153 points

Spoiler:

Other championships held: WWF Intercontinental Championship (1 time)[
World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Was it ever going to be anybody else? Most people would assume that Piper did win a world championship such is his legend in the WWF. One of the most recognisable faces in the history of wrestling Piper will always be remembered as one of the heels that made Hogan so popular. Piper never got to win the big one in the WWF, but despite this he is still one of the most legendary wrestlers in their history. 606v2 believes that Piper should have been world champion at some point, and that is why he is top by 50 points, a runaway, clear leader.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:54 pm

clap Well done Crimey. Another fantastic piece of work
Had me gripped

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Great job Crimey! clap

Should do another one, like the 25 Greatest Tag Matches Playa Ever Made By Teddy Long Laugh

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm

I can't remember what the next one is.

I think it's Greatest Intercontinental.

Then best entrance music.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:01 pm

BEST ENTRANCE MUSIC!

Oh - switch it around and do that one first! That will be immense!

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 pm

How about the 25 Greatest Wrestlers to Not Have Entrance Music?

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 pm

How about 25 top catch phrases

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 pm

Top 25 legends Heath Slater could actually beat Ha!

VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz NG Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 pm

Great list and great work Crimey!

How about Top 25 promos?

Miz NG

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:16 am

My top 10 would be in no particular order

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Ravishing Rick Rude
Gentleman Chris Adams
Magnum T.A
Terry Funk
Nigel McGuinness
Michael 'P.S' Hayes
Dusty Rhodes
Scott Hall

The others that would make up my top 25 would be in no particular order

David Von Erich
Brian Pillman
Sting
Shane Douglas
Owen Hart
Dan Spivey
Ken Shamrock
Bad News Brown
Ahmed Johnson
Goldust
Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin
Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorff
Umaga
Gino Hernandez
Ted DiBiase

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:18 am

Of your top ten, 4 made the top 25, 5 made the entire list of 52 people.

I was very surprised to receive no votes for Dusty Rhodes, but a few for Goldust and Cody Rhodes...

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 am

Sign of the times I suppose when Dusty and Terry Funk aren't even listed

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:27 am

the-gaffer wrote:Sign of the times I suppose when Dusty and Terry Funk aren't even listed

I agree, it shows that there's a new generation of top guys who haven't reached the heights they are believed to have deserved.

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:31 am

the-gaffer wrote:Sign of the times I suppose when Dusty and Terry Funk aren't even listed

I'm quite surprised that there was only 52 names on this list.

I'm sure Dusty and Funk would have been in must peoples top 20, I found it really difficult to whittle my list of about 50 down to 10!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:33 am

CactusJack2k12 wrote:

I agree, it shows that there's a new generation of top guys who haven't reached the heights they are believed to have deserved.

Yeap, judging by the votes, guys like Drew McIntyre, Wade Barrett and Heath Slater

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:36 am

the-gaffer wrote:
CactusJack2k12 wrote:

Yeap, judging by the votes, guys like Drew McIntyre, Wade Barrett and Heath Slater

You know as well as anyone who voted for ED, so using that as an argument is pretty irrelevant. McIntyre was hyped up and then let down, so to the more recent fan will be up there, Barret is questionable as he probably will win it at some point, but he definitely should have have already had a run. I personally had Raven and X-Pac in mine for their promos and X-Pac for his in ring ability in particular.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:44 am

I just don't know why Slater, Barrett or McIntyre should be involved though, makes a mockery of Crimeys hard work having to tally that up, they've done next to nothing as of yet and have only been around 5 minutes, not 1 of them are anywhere near deserving of a World Title yet

Kid and Raven are good choices, both where in my 50, Kid was groomed to be the next HBK and Raven should have been given a far better role when he came in 10/11 years ago, he was a provan talent

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 am

How about Top 25 IC Champ who never became World Champ!

Or

Top 25 Triple Crown (WWE, IC and Tag)
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:49 am

I'd say Barret is more than deserving of a World Title. He was the stand out man of the feud of the year in 2010, he's had a terrific feud with Randy Orton already and is one of the few heels in WWE which can draw a major reaction from the crowd.

I like that in this list, bar Slater obviously, there are names coming up that people didn't entirely expect, so it shows a range of ideas, rather than everyone just keeping the same line.

The upsetting thing about the list is the number of guys the WWE have had and haven't made use of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:55 am

Barrett had the stand out feud of the year in 2010? Don't agree, he was seen as the leader of Nexus but after 4 weeks it was a bum steer, HBK/Taker II was the feud of the year in 2010 and Cena/Batista wasn't far behind it, Barrett unless he has improved dramatically in the last 6 months isn't a Heat magnet, I honestly don't get why being pushed into a major debut feud, which is all he has done that's been truly interesting makes him 'deserving'

The fact that he wasn't credible, or deemed as credible is the reason the Nexus angle fell flat, a credible Main Eventer would have got a years Main Event storyline out of Nexus at the very least

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 am

the-gaffer wrote:Barrett had the stand out feud of the year in 2010? Don't agree, he was seen as the leader of Nexus but after 4 weeks it was a bum steer, HBK/Taker II was the feud of the year in 2010 and Cena/Batista wasn't far behind it, Barrett unless he has improved dramatically in the last 6 months isn't a Heat magnet, I honestly don't get why being pushed into a major debut feud, which is all he has done that's been truly interesting makes him 'deserving'

The fact that he wasn't credible, or deemed as credible is the reason the Nexus angle fell flat, a credible Main Eventer would have got a years Main Event storyline out of Nexus at the very least

Laugh

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:00 am

Bother, forgot about Taker vs HBK Laugh , fine second feud of the year, I'd put it ahead of Batista vs. Cena easily. Barret when he wasn't feuding with Big Show and in a menial feud with the Corre managed to get heat on himself, his problem was always having opponents the crowd didn't care about in the slightest.

The Nexus angle fell flat because a key member in Sheffield was put out injured just as the angle began, and in a key match at Summerslam, Nexus weren't allowed to go over Super Cena and WWE for whatever reason. I don't think you can blame Barret for WWE's love affair with Orton and Cena at that point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:37 am

I'd definitely not put it ahead of Batista/Cena, Batista was superb in that angle, the best he'd been in 5 years and miles in front of Barrett, as for the fall of Nexus, if we're really blaming the fall of Nexus on the injury to Skip freaking Sheffield then that says it all about how credible Wade Barrett was back then never mind right now

I can blame Barrett, if he was considered credible then the WWE would have booked him as such, no-one is going to oust Super Cena or even Randy orton, the problem was Barrett didn't even look like he could live with that company after the initial buzz of their arrival had faded

Still, its hard to complain about the bookers not putting him over when it was the bookers that propelled him into that position in the first place

I just don't buy how when Barrett fails its Cenas fault, ortons fault, the Big Shows fault, the crowds fault because they just don't care, when is it ever going to be Barretts fault?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:54 am

It'll be Barret's fault on the day that he was given a feud with one of those previous names and doesn't have to job out to them. The crowd were into the Orton vs. Barret feud and then when the injury struck, it was at a bad time, however, that'd be another excuse you don't want.

The Nexus worked at that point due to the whole group together, and when you look at the three guys being pushed up at that point; Barret, Gabriel and Sheffield, it'd be obvious to see why an injury to one would cause so many problems.

You can blame the bookers even though they got Barret to that position as you can also blame the same bookers who got CM Punk into his position as head of WWE and then made him boring and predictable.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:56 am

Slater was clearly tongue in cheek, Gaff. I was hoping it would make someone laugh that I put him in, but only in second. (If someone was astute enough to see he only got 9 pts) And I got my wish because Marshall picked up on it.

The other 9 in my list were completely credible and serious.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Best in the World Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:10 am

great work Crimey, dedication at it's best. Can we do best entrance music first?That sounds great Smile
The Best in the World
The Best in the World

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:21 am

Just to let you know:

v2Journal ‏@v2Journal
@R_Roddy_Piper You came top in our poll of best ever not to win the WWE title - https://www.606v2.com/t33046p50-25-greatest-wrestlers-to-never-be-wwe-world-champion … - Well done! Acceptance speech?

3m Rowdy Roddy Piper ‏@R_Roddy_Piper
@v2Journal I'm honored!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:22 am

That's great!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:22 am

I love Roddy - always takes time to chat on twitter.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:23 am

Friggin' awesome! Very Happy

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:24 am

This is the full list by the way:

1. Roddy Piper 153
2. Mr Perfect 103
3. William Regal 92
4. Owen Hart 78
5. British Bulldog 76
6. Razor Ramon 76
7. Jake Roberts 64
8. Ted Dibiase Snr 59
9. Rick Rude 59
10. Ricky Steamboat 52
11. Sting 50
12. Muhammad Hassan 36
13. Vader 34
14. Arn Anderson 33
15. Billy Gunn 28
16. Goldust 21
17. Bobby Lashley 19
18. Brian Pillman 16
19. Ken Shamrock 15
20. Shelton Benjamin 15
21. Jerry Lawler 14
22. DDP 13
23. Drew McIntyre 12
24. Mr Kennedy 11
25. Umaga 10

26. Lex Luger 9
27. Heath Slater 9
28. Jimmy Snuka 7
29. Al Snow 7
30. Raven 7
31. Road Dogg 6
32. Lance Storm 6
33. Gory Guerrero 6
34. AJ Styles 6
35. Justin Credible 5
36. Bam Bam Bigelow 5
37. Honky Tonk Man 5
38. Wade Barrett 4
39. Jim Duggan 4
40. Cody Rhodes 4
41. A-Train 3
42. Val Venis 3
43. Nigel McGuinness 3
44. Jeff Jarrett 3
45. Rick Martel 2
46. Ron Simmons 2
47. Tommy Dreamer 2
48. R-Truth 2
49. X-Pac 1
50. Tito Santana 1
51. Tazz 1
52. Finlay 1

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:24 am

Thats why I want to do a feature on Roddy - https://www.606v2.com/t32845-help-required

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:26 am

The oddest votes, not including people like Drew McIntyre, Cody Rhodes and Heath Slater, I thought were:

Finlay
Jeff Jarrett
A-Train
Justin Credible
Al Snow
Bobby Lashley

I'm also surprised at how high Muhammad Hassan got.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:33 am

Crimey wrote:The oddest votes, not including people like Drew McIntyre, Cody Rhodes and Heath Slater, I thought were:

Finlay
Jeff Jarrett
A-Train
Justin Credible
Al Snow
Bobby Lashley

I'm also surprised at how high Muhammad Hassan got.

I am not surprised by JJ to be honest. He was a big draw in the South and carried the NWA title for a gazillion years (none of what I have stated has been researched and nor do I have any evidence to back up either claim!)

But I can still understand why he was nominated ahead of the others on your list,

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:59 am

Guessing you didn't tweet The Great Khali informing hin that 606v2 voted him the worst world champion of all time
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:59 am

VDT wrote:Guessing you didn't tweet The Great Khali informing hin that 606v2 voted him the worst world champion of all time

Laugh

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:01 am

Roddy Piper has won this by the biggest distance of all the lists.

Roddy Piper won by 50 points.

Great Khali won by 41 points.

Steve Austin won by 1 point.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Great work Crimey. Not sure how I missed this poll. clap

Good to see Mr Perfect and Piper at the top. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 pm

good work Crimey clap
love the Hot Rod watched They live again the other night haha Smile

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:55 am

WWE have just added a 20 Legends Who Never Won a World Title feature on their website.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/20-legends-who-never-won-a-world-title

Arn Anderson
British Bulldog
Chief Jay Strongbow
Dean Malenko
George “The Animal” Steele
Goldust
Greg “The Hammer” Valentine
Honky Tonk Man
Jake “The Snake” Roberts
Jesse "The Body" Ventura
Junkyard Dog
Marty Jannetty
Magnum TA
“Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase
“Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff
Rikishi
“Rowdy” Roddy Piper
Scott Hall
Tatanka

Last edited by VDT on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am

I pointed it out to Jim Ross the other night. The thieveing git!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:10 am

I loved Marty Jannetty but he was never near World Title territory

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:18 am

7 people from their top 20 in our top 20.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:33 am

It looks like they're not including guys who won World Titles elsewhere

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2