The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

official list of wwe banned terms

+2
theundisputedY2D2
ncfc_Tooze
6 posters

Go down

official list of wwe banned terms Empty official list of wwe banned terms

Post by ncfc_Tooze Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:13 am

From WWE's information sheet taken from F4W:

We noted last week the irony of "Wrestling" being removed from the company name on the weekend of WrestleMania, and in the past we've noted other terms that Vince McMahon finds undesirable. "Belt," for instance, is not allowed. Superstars do not win belts. They win championships. For a while he didn't even want the superstars to wear the championships around their waists, because, well, you wear a belt around your waist and this isn't your father's pro-rasslin where folks wear title belts.

This week we are going to look at a list of banned terms. Every now and then you'll hear "wrestling" uttered on WWE television, at which point some people will say this is proof that there aren't really any set rules about what you can and cannot say, and that perhaps people like Dave Meltzer and I are making this up. As a matter of fact, WWE has an information sheet that they send all over the world to folks who do international voice-overs in other countries, and it includes a list of "Incorrect Terminology," which is further identified as being incorrect via a bright red "X," and an accompanying list of "Correct Terminology," which is accompanied by a happy green check mark. The information sheet, titled, "The Language of WWE," reads in full:

The Language of WWE

World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) is a publicly traded entertainment company (NYSE: WWE) that creates and delivers a weekly action soap opera to its passionate fans.

WWE has been a recognized leader in entertainment for more than 25 years and has developed into one of the most popular and sophisticated forms of global entertainment today.

As a global entertainment brand, the language that we use when communicating on WWE is critical.

Please ensure that you are familiar and employing the below, effective immediately.

Let's take a look at these terms, shall we?

"Wrestling" or "Catch" is prohibited. Several European countries still use the 19th-century term "catch" to describe the art of pro-wrestling and "catchers" to describe wrestlers. Catch (as in "catch-as-catch-can") was a style of submission-based grappling practiced in Lancashire, England and later brought to the United States by immigrants in the mid-1800s. Many of the terms used up through the '90s, including "collar-and-elbow tie-up," have their roots in catch, and several MMA stars today, perhaps most notably Josh Barnett, claim their submission style is catch wrestling. "The Language of WWE" states that the following phrases are incorrect: "Wrestling is broadcast in 145 countries," or "Catch is broadcast in 145 countries." The correct terminology is: "WWE is broadcast in 145 countries."

"Sports" is incorrect. What is allowed is "Entertainment or Action Soap Opera." "Eg: WWE is exciting entertainment," or "WWE is an exciting action soap opera." It should be noted that "action soap opera" in the above example is also printed in bold, presumably to make sure that there is no confusion.

"Catchers or Wrestlers." Definitely banned. Incorrect examples are "Catchers are unique characters" or "Wrestlers are unique characters." You may only say "WWE Superstars." "Eg: WWE Superstars are unique characters." As is their Chairman.

"Athletes or Sportsmen." Banned. I will admit, I was surprised to learn that "athlete" is a banned term, if only because for years and years I have heard wrestlers and fans say, "It might be fake, but these guys are tremendous athletes." No longer can you say, for example, "WWE Superstars are brilliant athletes," or "WWE Superstars are brilliant sportsmen." Nope. You must call them, and I am not making this up, "Entertainers with tremendous athletic prowess." They even give an example: "WWE Superstars are entertainers with tremendous athletic prowess." What normal person in their right mind would ever utter a sentence such as that?

"Fight." Not allowed. You cannot say, "WWE's first fight of the night." You may say, "Match" or "Bout." "Eg: WWE's first match of the night" or "WWE's first bout of the night."

"Fighting." "The fighting was enthralling" is ixnayed. OK, however, is the term "action." "Eg: The action was enthralling."

The printout concludes with the following three "Key Soundbytes":

* WWE is pure entertainment

* WWE is an action soap opera

* WWE Superstars are entertainers with tremendous athletic prowess

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

official list of wwe banned terms Empty Re: official list of wwe banned terms

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:37 am

So does that mean if Billy Gunn, Kurt Angle or Shelton Benjamin returned to the WWE they'd be known as 'the best pure entertainer with athletic prowess in the WWE'?

There's only one thing for it:

🤦

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:49 am

Yes Y2 Yes it would
🤦

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:53 am

I knew most of this, not it all but everytime I read this BS I hate Vince McMahon just a little bit more, I really can't believe that TNA are still finding it so hard tro grow into a legitimate Competitor given that the WWE have basically left the field wide open for them to be the quintisential WRESTLING company on TV

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark_Seven Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:08 pm

Speaking of banned things. Wasn't the knife edge chop supposedly banned when ric flair went to tna? Sin Cara did a few on raw this week to big 'woooo's from the crowd. Also, in relation to the belt/championship thing, I noticed JR called it the 'WWE Title' a few times and King kept jumping in saying 'yes it's for the number one contender to the WWE Championship.' Is 'title' allowed?

Mark_Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:14 pm

Mark_Seven wrote:Also, in relation to the belt/championship thing, I noticed JR called it the 'WWE Title' a few times and King kept jumping in saying 'yes it's for the number one contender to the WWE Championship.' Is 'title' allowed?

It's probably just the ban on Jim Ross they've tried enforcing.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark_Seven Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

And by the sounds of it he hates the idea of the jr/king tag match as much as everyone else. He said on twitter: "King could have done much better in picking a tag partner 4 Extreme Rules than me. Maybe I'll get 'waived' or traded 4 someone w/ skills. Smile"

At least JR is back though. Just get the man at the announce table and leave him be.

Mark_Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:29 pm

Mark_Seven wrote:At least JR is back though. Just get the man at the announce table and leave him be.

Totally agree thumbsup

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:40 pm

I still think they're only using JR for his popularity to get Cole over as a hated heel, I'd like to see JR back full time but just don't think it'll happen

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark_Seven Wed 13 Apr 2011, 4:10 pm

Yeah Gaffer, I would have to agree. Just have to enjoy it while it lasts.. but still hold out hope they might give Cole some other on-screen role for a while allowing a brief full-time JR return. Saw an interview with King in on the Sun website where he said the work-related stress brings on JRs bells-palsy attacks and Vince is frightened of what might happen if he brought him back full time. So maybe a short stint could work. (apologies to NCFC for digressing from the original topic - got caught up in a JR love-in)

Mark_Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Wed 13 Apr 2011, 4:32 pm

so is this why the Rock is the most electrifying man in ALL of entertainment

and here was me thinking it was because he'd been away to other entertainment (movies) and done well

dont worry i'll give myself 1 🤦

Kaiser

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 13 Apr 2011, 5:25 pm

I don't think Vince cares about JR's illness I think his only concern is JR falling ill on live TV and making life difficult for Vince McMahon

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat 16 Apr 2011, 1:05 am

I wonder if Evan Bourne will get in trouble for taking the pee with this tweet?

I'm an entertainer with athletic prowess, in a sophisticated action soap opera...hahaha but thatssssss my life!! Come see IT live people!

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down