The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Day 3 Thread

+9
reckoner
barrystar
sirfredperry
lydian
time please
laverfan
invisiblecoolers
bogbrush
The Special Juan
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Olympic Day 3 Thread Empty Olympic Day 3 Thread

Post by The Special Juan Mon 30 Jul - 6:43

Midday
Centre Court: Azarenka v Begu then Federer v Benneteau then Seppi v Del Potro then Wickmayer v Wozniacki

Court 1: Goffin v Monaco then Serena Williams v U Radwanska then Isner v Jaziri then Suarez Navarro v Clijsters

11:30 Start
Court 2: Roddick v Klizan then Errani v Venus Williams then Petzschner v Tipsarevic then Cirstea/Halep v Williams/Williams then Nishikori/Soeda v Federer v Wawrinka

Court 7: Martinez Sanchez v Hercog then Stepanek v Davydenko then Schiavone v Zvonareva then Hlavackova/Hredecka v Babos/Szavay then Medina Garrigues/Parra Santonja v Pennetta/Schiavone

Court 11: Tursunov v Lopez then Darcis v Giraldo then Pennetta v Pironkova then Cilic/Dodig v Cabal/Giraldo then Kas/Petzschner v Davydenko/Youzhny

Court 12: Cetkovska v Kerber then Lisicki v Jabeur then Bogomolov Jr v Almagro then Djokovic/Troicki v Brunstrom/Lindstedt then Tipsarevic/Zimonjic v Klizan/Lacko

Court 14: Cilic v Melzer then Soeda v Baghdatis then Kvitova v Peng then Nestor/Pospisil v Tecau/Ungur then Llagostera Vives/Martinez Sanchez v Peng/Zheng

Court 15: Gasquet v Haase then Kirilenko v Duque-Marino then Muller v Istomin then Shvedova/Voskoboeva v Petrova/Kirilenko then Berdych/Stepanek v Bracciali/Seppi

Court 16: Ito v Raonic then Lepchenko v Cepede Royg then Hantuchova v Cornet then Melzer/Peya v Lopez/Ferrer then Radwanska/Radwanska v Cibulkova/Hantuchova

Court 17: Zheng v Petrova then Soler Espinosa v Watson then Chakhnasvili/Tatishvili v Klepac/Srebotnik

Court 18: Hewiit v Stakhovsky then Robson v Safarova then Baltacha v Ivanovic then Simon v Dimitrov then Goerges/Gronefeld v Baltacha/Keothavong

Court 19: Erakovic v Wozniak then Vardhan v Kavcic then Bury/Mirnyi v Bhupathi/Bopanna then Haase/Rojer v Paes/Vardhan

Court 20: News to Follow
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Olympic Day 3 Thread Empty Re: Olympic Day 3 Thread

Post by bogbrush Mon 30 Jul - 8:35

Fed / Benny; the rematch. Interesting.

Seppi to beat Del Potro.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 30 Jul - 9:02

bogbrush wrote:Fed / Benny; the rematch. Interesting.

Seppi to beat Del Potro.

Sorry BB, I don't think so Seppi got anything special to beat DP, DP likely to blow him off the court with the likely score line of 6-3 6-4. thumbsup

Cilic vs. Melzer for me interesting, the odds on Melzer is quite high and we all know what Melzer can do and what Cilic is when things don't go his way. I would bet on this match more than the above match.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 30 Jul - 13:18

Goffin v Monaco and Isner v Jaziri may also prove to be interesting.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 30 Jul - 17:51

Feeling very nervous for TMF today - hope bad feeling is not portent

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Roger-Federer-believes-Olympics-format-is-tougher-than-that-of-Grand-Slams-articolo5123.html

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jul - 17:58

I have been very underwhelmed by the Olympic tennis event.

For me the grass looks longer on the courts and thus prolonging the rallies excessively. Again the rain is decimating the fixtures.

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 30 Jul - 18:05

The grass certainly looks very different and it is horribly slippy. I thought it was playing very slow in the Fed/Falla match but Tsonga and Belluci were really hitting through the court so it all looked faster yesterday - would the roof immediately make that much difference?

I agree with you legend, the atmosphere is not really anything special. It completely lacks the buzz of Wimbledon - there don't seem to be so many people on the AELTC grounds moving from court to court, and the empty seats in Centre Court are a real shame. Just would never see Fed playing to so many gaps in the audience anywhere really, but unthinkable at SW19. Crowd a little better for Murray vs Wawrinka but it still lacked the intensity of Murray's matches at Wimbledon proper.

Perhaps it will all improve, but have been disappointed so far - very little big time atmosphere.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jul - 18:18

Not sure what has killed the buzz TP. I don't think Wimbledon having such an event so soon after it's own showpiece has helped the cause. If it was held indoors, then maybe the buzz may have been much more different. I think the fact the same courts have played completely different does not bode well for organisers.

The grass looks 'sticky' and the Falla and Federer match it played like Paris indoors.

Someone get a Flymo out and shorten the grass!!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 30 Jul - 18:54

Once the match goes indoors the conditions change markedly...no air conditioning in the world can precent moisture building on the grass so it plays quicker. We saw that with Belluci/Tsonga vs Fed/Falla.

If the conditions stay wet and Fed plays indoors he'll be fine. However, there is a backlog building and players may have to play twice per day at this rate. Also, why arent they starting matches at 10am given the forecast all week isnt great? Come on guys, use your noggin's for a change!

But damned this British weather, Wimbledon is not meant to be an indoors event!!! furious
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jul - 19:05

Come on lydian. Use initative? Tournament organisers? Laugh

Chance would be a fine thing. I agree that we could see players playing twice or even 3 times with doubles in one day.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 30 Jul - 20:19

I bet Murray will be on Centre all tournament. I don't think he has to play 1 match away from Centre unlike Wimbledon.

I think Pironkova will win today. And Goffin hopefully.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Jul - 20:22

Agree totally with the suggestion for earlier starting times. Weather favours the top seeds like Rog and Andy as they'll be safe under the roof.
Fed could be through to the third round today before some have played their first match. We could well have Queen's Club two-matches-in-one-day scenarios if the weather stays bad.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 30 Jul - 20:30

Simon v Dimitrov might be a good game.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 30 Jul - 20:54

The Special Juan wrote:Simon v Dimitrov might be a good game.

I do hope so. Will be rooting for Dimitrov, but I like Simon's tenacity too.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 30 Jul - 22:14

Any idea why so few of the Courts are in use even though there's a logjam?

I can only think of:

a. they aren't using Aorangi park for practice at the moment
b. so many players are playing doubles and singles that you can't get the matches out.

Oh, on another point apparently they have taped over all the names on the hand dryers to stop them getting free advertising!

Any other bright ideas?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 30 Jul - 22:41

barrystar wrote:Oh, on another point apparently they have taped over all the names on the hand dryers to stop them getting free advertising!

What a bunch of cretins!

barrystar wrote:Any other bright ideas?

How about we take the most iconic venue in tennis and make it look like a 5 year old has scrawled all over it in purple crayon?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 30 Jul - 22:48

There's a part of me wouldn't mind Fed dumping out and going to Canada fresh.

Now the Olympics have begun they look even more of a sideshow to the tour than I thought beforehand.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 30 Jul - 23:22

Caught a little bit of the Hewitt match earlier (he's never been the sort of guy I'd pay to watch, but all credit for past glories and for sticking around through his plethora of injuries). Made it past Stakhovsky in 3

Anyone notice this plonker-like habit he's developed of pointing very theatrically at the ball boy/girl for a towel, straight after a winning (or even losing) point ?

Like the 'c'mons' and his ever-dwindling band of crude 'Fanatics' in the Aus Open crowd .... no harm done I guess. Just very tiresome Rolling Eyes

Didn't see Monaco/Goffin but seems a clean performance from Monaco judging from scoreline OK

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 30 Jul - 23:32

bogbrush wrote:There's a part of me wouldn't mind Fed dumping out and going to Canada fresh.

Now the Olympics have begun they look even more of a sideshow to the tour than I thought beforehand.
I would not even watch this Olympic tennis if it wasnt streamed on the BBC
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 30 Jul - 23:52

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
bogbrush wrote:There's a part of me wouldn't mind Fed dumping out and going to Canada fresh.

I would not even watch this Olympic tennis if it wasnt streamed on the BBC

Phew ... bet that's a relief for the Beeb. Just as well ITV or Sky didn't get the contract Wink

But yes, I'd agree the tennis somehow seems a bit of a sideshow really....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon 30 Jul - 23:54

Fed's in the next round.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 30 Jul - 23:57

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Fed's in the next round.

Room for a 2nd set walkabout for so long as Benneteau can defend his serve, but looking good at the moment I agree.

Re BB's comment, I'd like to see Fed win this ahead of Canada because it's the one he hasn't got, he won't get another serious chance, and it would pretty much guarantee him staying at No. 1 until October when you look at the respective points that need defending between now and then of Fed and Djoko. Canada is just another TMS, he's already won it, and he'll get other chances to win HC TMS tournaments. He should be fresh for Cincinnati whatever happens, and he's better there.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul - 0:02

Cannot find the motivation to watch which is a shame.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 31 Jul - 0:03

It is a sideshow....when we assess Agassi's career none of us talk about the gold medal he won...nor will we about Nadal, or Federer if he won it.

I dont think it belongs in the Olympics anyway but thats a whole different discussion/thread!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 31 Jul - 0:05

Now the score looks terminal for Benneteau with Federer serving at 3-1 in the second set having taken the first.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul - 0:06

Had there not been a pile up of matches I might have been motivated, but seeing what we are in for weather wise just makes me think urgh another excuse to bash British summer Laugh

Start a thread on it lydian and see what the masses think Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 31 Jul - 0:09

barrystar wrote:

Room for a 2nd set walkabout for so long as Benneteau can defend his serve, but looking good at the moment I agree.

Re BB's comment, I'd like to see Fed win this ahead of Canada because it's the one he hasn't got, he won't get another serious chance, and it would pretty much guarantee him staying at No. 1 until October when you look at the respective points that need defending between now and then of Fed and Djoko. Canada is just another TMS, he's already won it, and he'll get other chances to win HC TMS tournaments. He should be fresh for Cincinnati whatever happens, and he's better there.

How well did he do in Cincinatti last year? Can he gain a lot of points there? The surface suits his game quite well.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 31 Jul - 0:17

break_in_the_fifth wrote:
barrystar wrote:

How well did he do in Cincinatti last year? Can he gain a lot of points there? The surface suits his game quite well.

Fed got 90 points at Canada last year and 180 points at Cincinnati. He can improve on both, but since he's better historically at Cincinnati, it's closer to the USO in time, and he'll have more chance of being fresh for it I'd say concentrating there makes more sense. Also, Djoko's respective tally was 1,000 and 600, so there's no chance of Djoko eating substantially into a Federer lead (if there's one left after the Olympics) by even winning at Canada.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul - 0:23

Did Robson win?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 31 Jul - 0:24

More intrested in the dressagé than the tennis quite frankly, Beijing was rubbish in 08 too.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 31 Jul - 0:27

Looks like Federer will get Muller likely next. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 31 Jul - 0:28

Josiah Maiestas wrote:More intrested in the dressagé than the tennis quite frankly, Beijing was rubbish in 08 too.
Beijing was a fantastic tournament IIRC.
This isn't as great.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul - 0:29

Oh both Robson and 'Ev won.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 31 Jul - 0:30

It Must Be Love wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:More intrested in the dressagé than the tennis quite frankly, Beijing was rubbish in 08 too.
This isn't as great.
The best player in Beijing was the runner up. How is that fantastic?!

James Blake got multiple in calls when the ball was out in the Federer match too, IIRC.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul - 0:33

I think Baltacha will have Ivanovic.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 31 Jul - 0:37

barrystar wrote:
barrystar wrote:

Fed got 90 points at Canada last year and 180 points at Cincinnati. He can improve on both, but since he's better historically at Cincinnati, it's closer to the USO in time, and he'll have more chance of being fresh for it I'd say concentrating there makes more sense. Also, Djoko's respective tally was 1,000 and 600, so there's no chance of Djoko eating substantially into a Federer lead (if there's one left after the Olympics) by even winning at Canada.

Provided the olympics goes well then I guess it's smooth sailing up to the USO and maybe afterwards too given how good Fed is indoors.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 31 Jul - 0:37

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
This isn't as great.

James Blake got multiple in calls when the ball was out in the Federer match too, IIRC.

Gonzalez was the best?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 31 Jul - 0:42

Ugh or not. 3-0 Ivanovic who will be crushed by the first decent player she meets.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 31 Jul - 0:42

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
This isn't as great.

Gonzalez was the best?
Gonzalez is a fraud.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 31 Jul - 0:44

So Blake was the best?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 31 Jul - 3:45

Cant believe Goffin went down meekly to Monaco on grass...looking like his run at FO was a flash in the pan.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 31 Jul - 3:54

Watching Fed/Wawrinka vs. the Japanese pairing. Surprised to see all four wearing their own variant of team kit with the sponsor's logo more prominent than the national flat - except Stan has "Suisse" on his back.

Stan playing in the backhand court and Fed not particularly standing out except on service.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 31 Jul - 3:55

You wonder about Fed's motivation for the doubles given he's won it before and he'd probably rather save his energy and focus for the singles. Wouldnt surprise me if they lost tonight.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 31 Jul - 4:07

They are not a great team - not playing together very well.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 31 Jul - 4:18

Too many BPs wasted by Fedrinka. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 31 Jul - 4:19

Looks heading towards a TB.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 31 Jul - 4:21

Nishikori trying to hit as hard as he can. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul - 4:24

I like this match, just been watching for five minutes but some really good exchanges.

Much better than the usual doubles matches.

Tie break time.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 31 Jul - 4:24

Fedrinka may lose the TB. Crying or Very sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 31 Jul - 4:27

On the subject of all the debate currently swirling around, I actually think it would be better to make tennis a doubles-only event at the Olympics.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next