The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you been/Are you going to the Olympics?

+5
Leff
Hero
Shelsey93
GSC
BamBam
9 posters

Go down

Have you been/Are you going to the Olympics? Empty Have you been/Are you going to the Olympics?

Post by BamBam Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:48 pm

As the title states really, just wondering what events people are seeing?

I started ticket hunting a long time ago, joining the 2012tweeps on Twitter and have got a decent collection of tickets.

Been to Swimming already, saw Ryan Lochte beat Michael Phelps in their big showdown on Saturday night, now I have tickets to see some Track Cycling, Athletics, and the Men's basketball quarter final matches!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Have you been/Are you going to the Olympics? Empty Re: Have you been/Are you going to the Olympics?

Post by GSC Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:49 pm

Went Rowing on sunday, going hockey on friday, then a wander round the olympic park for a while.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Have you been/Are you going to the Olympics? Empty Re: Have you been/Are you going to the Olympics?

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:57 pm

Been twice. Table Tennis was great (8 matches in the men's last 16 within two hours, including some thrillers). Boxing was still good, but I must say I struggled to get into it - probably because I don't really understand the details of the scoring system, and you don't get the scores until the end of the rounds so it is hard to know who is on top all of the time.

Spent the last hour trying to get Athletics tickets. Sunday night (including the 100m) final were going at £40 at one stage, but they'd gone by the time I'd spend half an hour watching the spinny thing go round. Tried and failed for Monday morning too Crying or Very sad

Will have another look tomorrow. Might go for Handball/ Water Polo if Athletics/ Cycling remain elusive, as I'd really like to go into the Olympic Park (the events I've been too were at the ExCeL which is itself great)

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:34 am

I saw the football today at Old Trafford with my kids, shame it was little more than friendly ue to Spain already being knocked out but still a great memory for the kids to treasure.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:55 am

I had been to Atlanta in 1996. Now, arriving in London on Friday. We will be in the stands for track & field events Sat-Wed.

Definitely going to Rio in 2014 and again in 2016. Closer to us.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:47 am

We are travelling up to London tomorrow on the overnight train.

We have tickets for the gymnastics on Sunday, and the athletics on Wednesday and Thursday.

We will be staying with my parents who live in Blackheath and we intend to go down to Greenwich Park, where I used to play as a girl, to soak up the atmosphere and see what they've done to my old playground. What a pity we don't have tickets for the show jumping too. That would have been amazing.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:47 pm

We leave tonight from Miami, arriving in London tomorrow morning. My parents, who live in Wilmslow, Cheshire, are coming to London to spend a short time with us. We will stay in a hotel in the Chelsea harbour area. Not going to the Olympic venue on Friday. On Sat and Sun, we have seats in a corporate box with snacks and drinks. Not as good seats on Mon. Better seats again on Wed to watch athletics. Not going on Tue. We leave for Holland on Thu to spend a couple of days with my wife's parents. Back in the US on Sun.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:51 pm

Men's basketball this evening (GBR v Spain, USA v Nigeria).

Was very surprised to find tickets available when I looked on Sat night. They might have just been released when I checked, so probably very lucky.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 4:13 pm

Leff wrote:We leave tonight from Miami, arriving in London tomorrow morning. My parents, who live in Wilmslow, Cheshire, are coming to London to spend a short time with us. We will stay in a hotel in the Chelsea harbour area. Not going to the Olympic venue on Friday. On Sat and Sun, we have seats in a corporate box with snacks and drinks. Not as good seats on Mon. Better seats again on Wed to watch athletics. Not going on Tue. We leave for Holland on Thu to spend a couple of days with my wife's parents. Back in the US on Sun.

Wishing you a warm welcome to London and I hope you have a fantastic time. Do you have your tube maps..? It's the easiest way to get around London. If you have and you need any tips in reading them or planning your journey across London please feel free to PM me. Chelsea is in West London and Stratford is in the East so you should leave plenty of time to get to the Olympic Park.

The Tube is best for cross-city travel. Buses are ok and plentiful but traffic can be heavy in the West End, which you would have to cross. Taxis can be expensive but if you get one, have earplugs handy. London cabbies can be very talkative. Remember to look right when you cross the road. That's the direction the traffic will be coming from.

You sound like old hands at this globetrotting lark (laughing) so I'm sure you're wise about the perils of tourism. Sadly, the Olympics has acted as a bit of a magnet for pickpockets from continental Europe so take care of your possessions.

I'm a Londoner and am pretty wise to most things that could happen, so if you feel I may be able to help with any advice at all, please feel free to get in touch.

Again..... Welcome to London.
Best wishes.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Thu 02 Aug 2012, 4:39 pm

Jen, Thanks for your warm wishes and kind advice. Our company has arranged a car for us as needed during our stay. Given the distance between Chelsea and Stratford, we may still use the Tube. I knew Chelsea is not the ideal location for this Olympic visit, but we have old friends in Chelsea.

I made about 15 short visits to London in the past ten years. The city looks different every time.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 3:53 pm

Leff wrote:Jen, Thanks for your warm wishes and kind advice. Our company has arranged a car for us as needed during our stay. Given the distance between Chelsea and Stratford, we may still use the Tube. I knew Chelsea is not the ideal location for this Olympic visit, but we have old friends in Chelsea.

I made about 15 short visits to London in the past ten years. The city looks different every time.

Thanks again for your kindness.

You're welcome.

We arrived at Paddington this morning and my dad picked us up off the train, only to have to drive the long way round to Greenwich because the Triathlon was taking place in Central London..!!

We've been for a walk around Greenwich Park today and there is just such a fantastic atmosphere about the place. It really is buzzing. We stood on the hill and watched some of the show jumping on the big screen. Some people had taken picnic lunches (I wish we'd thought of that. Just seeing that food made me totally Hank..!!). The crowd is so enthusiastic and we had to laugh at the little girl we heard hankering her parents for riding lessons so she can be a famous show jumper too. She must have been all of nine..!! Awwww, bless..!!

But hey.... this is what "Inspiring A Generation" is all about. Who knows, come 2024...??? It has to start somewhere, doesn't it..?

Everywhere there is so much excitement and of course, Greenwich Park has other attractions. There was a loooooooong queue of visitors lining up to have their picture taken standing on the Prime Meridian line at the Flamsteed Observatory and the chap selling ice cream must think all his Christmases have come at once.

I'm just so glad everybody is enjoying their visit to London. You sound like you've seen it all before so I hope you're enjoying meeting your friends on this occasion and the weather stays good for next week.

Take Care.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 4:26 pm

Couldn't get tickets, haven't tried to get any since because of uni. Watched the starts of the women's and men's road race and caught the latter part of the men's cycling time trial in Kingston
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 4:49 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Couldn't get tickets, haven't tried to get any since because of uni. Watched the starts of the women's and men's road race and caught the latter part of the men's cycling time trial in Kingston

Did you not get to see Wiggo on Wednesday..?

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

Jennifer1984 wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Couldn't get tickets, haven't tried to get any since because of uni. Watched the starts of the women's and men's road race and caught the latter part of the men's cycling time trial in Kingston

Yeah but I only watched from the road in Kingston at the bridge, I didn't have tickets
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:19 pm

was at the Olympic Park on Thursday and got tickets to see Dream Team version 2. Amazing day.

Tomorrow have tickets to the hockey and plan to spend the rest of my day awaiting the 100m final

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:28 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Jennifer1984 wrote:

Yeah but I only watched from the road in Kingston at the bridge, I didn't have tickets

I watched it on TV. The atmosphere looked fantastic.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:32 pm

We were very nervously waiting for the result on a radio!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon 13 Aug 2012, 1:30 am

Back in the US this afternoon. NBC's delayed coverage of the closing ceremony just began.

We watched the olympics last Sat-Wed. Spent a few days in Holland before returning home. Thoroughly enjoyed our time. Wonderful, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and well behaved spectators. Thought London did a great job running the olympics. thumbsup

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down