The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AllBlacks Squad named

+3
majesticimperialman
Taylorman
emack2
7 posters

Go down

AllBlacks Squad named Empty AllBlacks Squad named

Post by emack2 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 1:03 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7418250/Faumuina-joins-All-Blacks-for-Rugby-Championship
Charlie Faumina is the only newcomer in the AllBlacks 28,a 16 Forward,12 Backs mix,Conrad Smith and Luke Romano picked
But injured.SBW is expected to be added after contract details are finalised this week,only 2 Hookers Mealamu and Hore,Locks Whitelock
and Retalick.A cover for Romano is required possibly Hoerta or Callum Clarke,Loose forwards,Messam and Thomson at 6,Read,and Vito at 8,McCaw and Sam Cane at 7.Aaron Smith and Weepu at 9,Carter and Crudon at 10,Carter named Vice -Captain.Cory Jane,Hosea Gear,
Savea and Ben Smith Wings,Dagg FullBack.Ellison,Nonu, Conrad Smith mid field.Savea at the expense of Guildford,Ben Smith utily covering wing/centre/fullback.Props Woodcock,The Brothers Grimm,Wyatt Crockett,and Faumina.No real surprises.New boys will probably get a run in the Autumn.

emack2

Back to top Go down

AllBlacks Squad named Empty Re: AllBlacks Squad named

Post by Taylorman Sun 05 Aug 2012, 2:42 am

Thanks Alan hadn't seen that. Another from my club Otahuhu in Faumuina. Fairly predictable but the backs are still a lottery in a good way. Carter and Cruden offer different things and while cruden is the obvious successor his extra pace off the mark and skills in testing opposition backlines must be starting to seriously test Hansen.

Not a fan of a sbw nonu midfield where although it has potential to smash up some sides its also vulnerable to smarter midfields. Interesting though.

Wings? Who knows... toss a coin?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 05 Aug 2012, 6:45 am

Very surprised that Guilford is not in the squad.

But i am happy that Hosa Gear gets a chance to show what he can do.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 05 Aug 2012, 6:48 am

Surely all the negotiations have been done with SBW?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:39 am

Billy
This week will be the first chance they have had to put the package together.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 05 Aug 2012, 9:55 am

SBW negotiation will as usual run until 5 minutes before kicking off the first game to maximise his media exposures. THis should not be the surprise.

Beginning to wonder if the Conrad Smith thing is not some treachery. 6 weeks is very long time for detached retina recovery. Might be he will start and surprising the opponents who prepare for SBW/Nonu.

Surprised Weepu still there and none of the up and comers, like TJP. Also surprised about no sign of Taylor at FB. I didn't think Ben Smith did enough and Israel Dagg is so erratic, he needs some sideline time to clearing the mind and refocus. What happen to Elliot at hooker? My mind he is better than Hore at set piece, but offer a little less around the field; but core duty is important to match SA and ARG in this tournament.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Aug 2012, 10:32 am

Perenara broke his ankle didn't he AWoP?

Andre Taylor has been hyped up, but for me, I don't see what the fuss is about. Sure he scored a few tries and ran the ball ok but he kind of faded a bit. I reckon Robbie Robinson has come on, perhaps not AB material just yet but he can run a ball back and has a good boot. His defence must be ok, chiefs didn't let too many tries in.

Things may have clicked for Messam, would like to see him get game time over Thompson. He does more graft and less fancy stuff these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 05 Aug 2012, 10:38 am

Did he EBOP? I am sure you are correct. But what about Elliot? Is he injury or did something wrong?

Messam looked the business in Ireland T3, will be interesting to put that into perspective in the Rugby Championship against firing opposition on the big stage I agree.

Andre Taylor - well Dagg pulled out one good game in the SXV against him and put him to shade, but Dagg was picked on promise and delivered to the ABs so maybe the same rule should apply. Taylor is more consistency this year in my mind and if psychology shows that Dagg respond to pressure then maybe he need some sideline time to get his head straight. He was excellent in Ireland T1 but make a lot of silly mistakes in the other games.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 05 Aug 2012, 3:27 pm

The squad is: (with province and Test caps. * denotes a new cap)

Hookers: Andrew Hore - Taranaki (65), Keven Mealamu - Auckland (93)

Props: Wyatt Crockett - Canterbury (6), Charlie Faumuina - Auckland*, Ben Franks - Canterbury (18), Owen Franks - Canterbury (34), Tony Woodcock - North Harbour (86)

Locks: Brodie Retallick - Bay of Plenty (3), Luke Romano - Canterbury (1), Samuel Whitelock - Canterbury (28)

Loose forwards: Sam Cane - Bay of Plenty (2), Richie McCaw (C) - Canterbury (106), Liam Messam - Waikato (10), Kieran Read - Canterbury (38), Adam Thomson - Otago (27), Victor Vito - Wellington (14)

Halfbacks: Aaron Smith - Manawatu (3), Piri Weepu - Auckland (59)

First five-eighths: Daniel Carter - Canterbury (87), Aaron Cruden - Manawatu (11)

Midfielders: Tamati Ellison - Otago (2), Ma'a Nonu - Wellington (66), Conrad Smith - Wellington (58)

Outside backs: Israel Dagg - Hawke's Bay (15), Hosea Gear - Wellington (9), Cory Jane - Wellington (31), Ben Smith - Otago (5), Julian Savea - Wellington (2

Just an awesome squad. The experienced guys are the big game players and the new ones bring some firepower. If Nonu gets cropped the midfield start to look a bit out of sorts; I guess that would lead to Carter at 12 then?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 05 Aug 2012, 4:06 pm

We are in a new era Hansen and his team have to succeed Coaches who had 8 years to get things right.The 3 Wise men were extremely successful over that period.But made a few poor or sideways Selections too Grizz Wyllie and John Hart given a second chance.May have been more successful than Henry and co.had they played somany NH sides in there era.Hansen and his Coaches have to prove themselves,and also build for the next 4-8 years.Many Senior players will be at the end of there test careers come 2015.Super Rugby does`nt equate to test Rugby most of the players named have been there and done it.Messam yes he`s been good with the Chiefs and had one good test versus Ireland.BUT he has been very much in and out Thomson has been a fixture in the squad for years.Has been very good for the Highlanders all year too,his ability to cover 6,7,8 plus his Lineout skills make him a good bet.Also he was the established 6 pre injury before Kaino took over.The problem is that Kaino only in his last season added an abrasive edge.Hansen has made it clear that his choice at 6 needs to modify his game in the ABs.Isreal Dagg is the established FB at this level,no one else tho promising has at this level.The All Blacks by the record are the best side in the history of the game.Also there fans/media are the most unforgiving lose a couple and its sack the Coaches remember 2009.Injury has limeted his scope Boric if uninjured would probably have been Thorn`s replacement.No Elliott,Schwalger has been Chiefs starting Hooker recently,Dane Coles and Crusaders second stringer.Should be in the frame too as I have said before some players are ordinary at Super level.But seldom perform badly in Black Mealamu,Hore,Nonu,Weepu,CoryJane are all in that category.When you are facing the 3 best teams in the world a load of promising wannabees does`nt cut it.Conspiracy theories are not my Bag AWOP,Conrad Smith is the best back consistently the ABs have.Why rush him back prematurely and risk him for the rest of the season.Aaron Smith has not yet faced real pressure as yet Weepu/Ellis have.If anyone should be agrieved it is Ellis ,he`s worked hard on his game.But been given no chance to prove himself Savea over Guildford one good match,plus one as the invisible man.Guildford like Rocokoco is always involved and creates chances for his teammates Savea is a finisher.A Conservative approach is what you will see until the AI`s then the youngsters will get a run.A 6-0 4Ns title will do me without the Boy wonders there time will come.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:55 am

We need to get through the sydney match to have any chance of a 6-0 win and its likely we'll lose at least one test. I don't think SA have the pack to match the ABs let alone dominate it and they need to if they're sticking with m steyn and jdv but we usually lose one or two so away against SA or a well prepared Oz first up are the most likely suspects. Henrys been with argentina so the boks are going to have to be ready quickly after having three teams in the playoffs.

Ireland T2 showed the way to beat us. Match the intensity and get up into their faces, same as what the chiefs did to the saders in the semi's.

He won't do it but id be fne with cruden sbw against ozzie as cruden certainly mixes it up more. Watching zxv final again he keps the opposites guessing and gets his line moving forward very quickly. Carter will be replaced by cruden one day. Just a matter of when. Good to see dc has got someone so close on his heels as every AB knows never to take the jersey for granted.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 06 Aug 2012, 9:06 am

Taylorman wrote:
Ireland T2 showed the way to beat us. Match the intensity play offside with copious obstruction for 80 minutes without being penalised and get up into their faces, same as what the chiefs did to the saders in the semi's.

Fixed this for you.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 06 Aug 2012, 9:18 am

Thanks awop. Told you we have different ways of saying the same thing. Now plumtree is using the same lines.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down