The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

+31
Skydriver
ryan86
LastDamnation
Mad for Chelsea
Hero
AlciG
sandy_trap
Thomond
John Cregan
mystiroakey
monty junior
themightyone
EmmDee57
Tinmar
bluestonevedder
Conehead
super_realist
Sand
Slowride
princedracula
Hibbz
Shotrock
McLaren
pedro
GPB
Redrage
NedB-H
sirbenson
robopz
incontinentia
kwinigolfer
35 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Aug 2012, 3:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!
Has Five Hour Furyk forgotten how to win? He experienced quite a drought in the late 2000's, rediscovered winning ways at the 2010 Transition (despite shanking down the 72nd hole and singeing KJ Choi's eyebrows on the way), and won squeakily at Hilton Head followed by a round full of fortitude to win the Tour Championship (and FedEx Play Offs). Now he's been in the driver's seat three times this year and parked in the wrong place each time.

2).Meanwhile, Keegan Bradley finally wins without a play-off but still due to the haplessness of another. Still not convinced that Keegs is the real thing. And nor is his local newspaper - the biggest paper in Bradley's Vermont had not one word of the golf in Monday's edition, not even the result. But he's secured his Ryder Cup place and it looks increasingly as if Furyk (so brilliant in the Presidents Cup in Melbourne but very dodgy in Ryder Cup play) will be hoping for a Captain's pick.

3).A perennial gripe about these WGC's - what incentive is there for the pros once they slip out of, say, the top twenty? There aren't many bigger admirers of Lee Westwood than me, but his weekend demonstrates that the WGC people have got their prizemoney structure all wrong. +14 was Westwood's weekend "effort" in finishing 70th, but he still took home $42K, only $30K less than two level par rounds would have earned him.
And then there's Jaidee, Crane and the vanishing Taniguchi who handed in sick notes, banked $40K and limped off to South Carolina.
Time for a cut (like The Masters, say, top 44 and those within ten shots) and lower paydays for the bottom trawlers. Spend that money instead on the leaders and create differentials worth playing for.

4).Didn't see much of the Bridgestone but really enjoyed the coverage of the Reno-Tahoe Open. A leaderboard full of characters and a worthy winner in JJ Henry. The four rookies on the USA Ryder Cup Team at the K Club, Zach, Wetterich, Vaughn Taylor and JJ have had mixed fortunes since their drenching in Ireland. Zach Johnson, of course, has gone from strength to strength, injuries have derailed Wetterich's career almost before it really started, Taylor has hit the buffers, but JJ has been like a journeyman freight train, chugging his way through the Tour season, consistently keeping his card for 12 years while supporting minor events, but never returning to the winners' platform. Until now.
Great to see Brazil's Alex Rocha getting in to the mix, four years early?, and pleased to see Romero back in the shake-up. Then there were the Open Champions: Daly tied with Leonard for his first top five since 2005, Hamilton in 8th, Harrington 19th, and Cink (talk about a slump) and Duval squandering chances of a decent payday. Seemed the modified Stableford format was very popular among the pros.

5).Very disappointing performances at the Bridgestone for those hoping for a Ryder Cup qualification. Given that Rose, McIlroy, Westwood, McDowell and Donald have their places secure, the best Bridgestone finish by the next ten contenders was T29 for Cabrera-Bello, Sergio, Kaymer and Poulter. Expect Davis Love to be quaking in his boots.

6).And look at the Europeans' form this year. Of the current owgr top fifty, the following have all lost more points this year than they've gained, indicative of their games being off the boil:
Donald, Westwood, Kaymer, Garcia, Poulter, Bjorn, Jacobson, Dyson, F'dez and Quiros. (While others such as Casey, Karlsson, Hansen, Luiten and The Mechanic have disappeared completely.) Is it too late to have another look at Carl Pettersson's eligibility?

7).But the Americans only have the long-term absentee Dustin Johnson, Watney and Toms from the top 55 with more points lost than gained, the rest (Mickelson possibly excepted) in decent to sparkling form.
There may be a turnround on the Carolina Shore this week, but I doubt it.

8).And so to Kiawah Island, home of the War on the Shore. (For accounts by those who were there, read your August Golf Digest - the most telling part to me was American disbelief at the amount the Europeans were drinking!)
Very few of those in the 156-man field for this week's PGA Championship have competitive form at Pete Dye's "Ocean Course", although some such as Rafa C-Bello, have played Junior competitions there.
But the WGC World Cup was played there twice, in 1997 and 2003, and these guys played well!
1997: 1st: Harrington (won with McGinley)
2003: 1st: Sabbatini and Immelman, with Casey and Rose runners up.

9).No Bernhard Langer or Hale Irwin this week, no Paul Broadhurst and no Steve Pate (come to think of it we didn't see much of him in the Ryder Cup either. Hmmmmm.), and hopefully no camo gear.

10).Weather will play a big part this week though; Pete Dye took a gorgeous ocean-side property, raised much of it above the dunes, and created a seaside target-golf monster, with almost all the course exposed to the elements but very few run-up areas in front of the greens. There has been significant rain these past few days and a steady diet of 10 - 15 mph breezes is forecast. Yorkshireman Kerry Haigh is responsible for setting up the course and he'll need all his skill to strike a fair balance, but he has an impeccable reputation and let's hope he lives up to it!

No idea who might win, but I fancy local-ish boy Dustin Johnson as best of the Americans. Otherwise I expect Ireland (North and South) and South Africa to contest the medals. For a rank outsider, how about Simon Dyson?

But of one thing you may be certain: If the sole survivor from the War of 1991, Jose Maria Olazabal, plays as he did 21 years ago, there'll only be one winner!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:13 am

Only 13 of the leading FORTY FIVE golfers are Americans, which just goes to show what a pathetic first round was endured by Donald and Westwood, behind so many fellow Eiuropeans and Internationals.

The tongues will be wagging again, not good enough. (Equally poor by Bubba, Phil, Rickie and Webb Dowd of course also.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:35 am

NedB-H wrote:A bit of a charge from the Europeans in the afternoon.... Gonzo, MAJ and Donaldson. Not exactly what Jose Maria was hoping for....

And Noren too. And Luiten this morning

Not exactly what Sergio, Kaymer, and Poulter were looking for either.

Not good for LUUUUKE and Westy.

Ollie cannot be rooting for the Swedish Redneck either. I think Carl P would be a better fit for Medinah than most of Ollie's short list of candidates. How many Euro contenders have won as many times on the PGAT. I don't think anyone.

Carl P has 5 wins
Luke and Paddy also have 5 wins
Rory 3
Westy 2
Not sure if any other serious contender has more than one win on the PGAT.

Edit: Sergio has more PGAT wins than any Euro. forgot him

Last edited by GPB on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:58 am

GPB wrote:
NedB-H wrote:A bit of a charge from the Europeans in the afternoon.... Gonzo, MAJ and Donaldson. Not exactly what Jose Maria was hoping for....

And Noren too. And Luiten this morning

Not exactly what Sergio, Kaymer, and Poulter were looking for either.

Not good for LUUUUKE and Westy.

Ollie cannot be rooting for the Swedish Redneck either. I think Carl P would be a better fit for Medinah than most of Ollie's short list of candidates. How many Euro contenders have won as many times on the PGAT. I don't think anyone.

Carl P has 5 wins
Luke and Paddy also have 5 wins
Rory 3
Westy 2
Not sure if any other serious contender has more than one win on the PGAT.

Little harsh on Poulter, -2 vs +4 vs +7! In fact with Colsaerts struggling and Poulter (I think) being closer to the team than Padraig, he's probably the best placed of the borderline boys.

Not sure how significant that win stat is, but what is significant is that Fat Carl is having a blinder of a season, in comparison to a large number of Euros having rubbish ones. Still pretty sure he's ineligible though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:06 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Only 13 of the leading FORTY FIVE golfers are Americans, which just goes to show what a pathetic first round was endured by Donald and Westwood, behind so many fellow Eiuropeans and Internationals.
More surprising still, only 3 of those 13, Woods, Keegan and Dustin, are in the OWGR top 50, the other ten including outliers like Ken Duke, George McNeill and Blake Adams. The other 18 Americans in the top 50 a collective +24.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:08 am

Yes, not good by major winners Bubba and Phil -- but given that Luke and Lee are Blutarski "0.0" for all things major it would take an incredible next 3 days.

I'll be surprised!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:08 am

Re: Poulter. I am thinking that he does not want Sergio or Kaymer to fall out of the top 10, unless he is the one doing the displacing.

He will be fighting Sergio for pick, should it come down to that. And T20 something won't do a lot for Poulter's RC Ranking.

IMO, If Poulter is not part of the top 10, the current top 10 is about his dream top 10 for him to get a Captains pick.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:31 am

GPB,
Poulter's a banker, don't get exercised about it. He'll be at Medinah with bells on.

PS: Remember two of Harrington's PGA Tour wins were at Birkdale and Carnoustie, so irrelevant to any discussion.
But Thursday's all about who plays themselves out of a tournament, Friday all about who plays themselves in. Doesn't hide disappointment at Lukey and Lee though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:32 am

GPB wrote:Re: Poulter. I am thinking that he does not want Sergio or Kaymer to fall out of the top 10, unless he is the one doing the displacing.

He will be fighting Sergio for pick, should it come down to that. And T20 something won't do a lot for Poulter's RC Ranking.

IMO, If Poulter is not part of the top 10, the current top 10 is about his dream top 10 for him to get a Captains pick.
Ah, I see the logic! Hadn't looked at it like that, but yes, fair point, although I imagine Poults is still thinking only of automatic entry at this point. Said it before, but he'd be my first pick no matter who else he was up against.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:44 am

Given Poulter's match play record I can't imagine him not being a pick.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:35 am

I'm actually thinking that Poulter is fast becoming Englands number 1.
He's certainly had a very good year so far. No missed cuts, and unusually for him very good finishes in the US.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:43 am

I didnt expect anything from westy- his form has just gone downhill. he is clealy in a mini slump- I am sure he will be back. Not sure what happened to Donald- he seemed to be playing ok- Now see him as a 99/1 shot!!! I know the weather got up, but still

Good solid round by poults- he has been playing well since his phenomia..

Great round by rose, was he a late starter? becase if he was that is some round from him!

Also. PGA Tour: PGA Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 1710857839 to Adam scott.

Btw what a random leaderboard..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:15 am

Guys if Donaldo misses the cut, how high does Tiger have to finish to regain the world no.1 spot?

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:46 am

Pretty sure Tiger has to win to go back to No. 1?

Donald's play was so poor yesterday. Never seen him miss so many greens before.

From a Ryder Cup perspective there is only a handful of players coming in with form, mainly Gmac, McIlroy and Rose. Hopefully Poulter can play himself into some form (he doesn't need the confidence!) and somehow Westy and Donald can turn their fortunes around.

Great to see Adam Scott around the top of the leaderboard - it would be amazing if he managed to come back and win at his 1st attempt after his blow up like Rory did after The Masters.

As usual most of my bets look pretty grim bar Ogilvy and perhaps Dustin Johnson.

Tiger's putting - 22 in total yesterday much improved which is what needed the most work on if he is going to get back on the major trail.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:01 am

for tiger back to number 1 questions all you have to do is read Prince D's thread.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:16 am

Never sure what this shows or whether people care but I think the scoring averages for round 1 were;

Round 1 morning avg; 73.19230769
Round 1 afternoon avg; 73.46153846

I guess it shows there were no extreme shifts in conditions that good play could not overcome.

Major winners avg; 72.06666667

British players avg; 72.76923077

Just a shame some big names are well off the pace.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sandy_trap Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:33 am

It shows that Monty is a buffoon. One of his only contributions other than constantly talking about the ryder cup was to say the course was playing much harder than 1 shot in the afternoon.

sandy_trap

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:59 am

sandy_trap

Are you a bunker or a waste area?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

McLaren wrote:Never sure what this shows or whether people care but I think the scoring averages for round 1 were;

Round 1 morning avg; 73.19230769
Round 1 afternoon avg; 73.46153846

I guess it shows there were no extreme shifts in conditions that good play could not overcome.

Major winners avg; 72.06666667

British players avg; 72.76923077

Just a shame some big names are well off the pace.

I allways am interseted- Ta

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

If the weather forecast today of 15-20 mph wind is true it will be interesting to see how Mcilroy copes.....

Another solid day required today Padraig!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

In my opinion it is too soon to rule out the likes of Donald and Westwood granted they need three excellent rounds but they are capable....however I cannot see it with Westwood at the moment, his game has gone right off the boil, cannot see him making the cut to be honest.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:19 pm

Ermm its a very tough call- gonna rule out westy. But donald maybe if the weather picks up. he normally allways does better incrimentally throughout the tourny and if the weather starts affecting some players then anything can happen. Els was totally out of it in the open. So donald is still just about a factor

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:24 pm

Went to have a look on donalds top 10 odds- 3/1- i think it tells us all we need to know!!

Not worth it- because he seems to do it all the time even with these bad starts

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:27 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Ermm its a very tough call- gonna rule out westy. But donald maybe if the weather picks up. he normally allways does better incrimentally throughout the tourny and if the weather starts affecting some players then anything can happen. Els was totally out of it in the open. So donald is still just about a factor

Exactly and considering the amount of leads squandered this season and the fact it is a major. It is far too soon to rule someone 8 shots behind after one round.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:29 pm

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/golf/golfm/release/pgachampionship/sites/pgachampionship/files/docs/Hole%20Sheet%20-%20Rd2%20Shift.pdf

Seems as though they have put away some flags beside the water.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm

Those are some tough pins for round 2. I dont know what the gradient is like but jeas all look like there are in the corners! Maybe they want the scoring to come down- This could play into the packs hands!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:35 pm

It seems they are trying to being the water more into play on the 17th as apart from Donald hitting it yesterday I didn't see anyone else hit it (I am sure someone else did lol)

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

Not sure if i am being paranoid but we do seem to see a high proprtion of bad shots from the Europeans/Internationals and way more average to good shots by the yanks!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:49 pm

Oakey, the American director simply chooses not to show the bad shots from the Amerians.

The amount of poor shots played at Tournaments is pretty surprising.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:51 pm

Bring on those skulls!!

the Open brought up some horrific amatuer golf shots- maybe that was due to us showing them!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:57 pm

The welsh lad Donaldson is doing well!

up to 4 under

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:01 pm

I've seen tops, shanks, fluffs, chunks, all sorts from tour events when you are actually there.
What you actually see on TV is seldom live, sometimes 2-3 minutes out of line with the real action, but stitched together by the director to show shots people want to see.

American directors are particularly parochial though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:03 pm

mystiroakey wrote:The welsh lad Donaldson is doing well!

up to 4 under

He talked a good game yesterday, he seems a very confident player and rightfully so after his Irish Open win!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:05 pm

super_realist wrote:I've seen tops, shanks, fluffs, chunks, all sorts from tour events when you are actually there.
What you actually see on TV is seldom live, sometimes 2-3 minutes out of line with the real action, but stitched together by the director to show shots people want to see.

American directors are particularly parochial though.

yeah its so great watching them do it live!! Makes you feel good about your own game!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:07 pm

Lots of club players are just as good tee to green as a pro, it's just the chipping and putting where they lack, and in the mental department.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:10 pm

Nothing especially apocalyptic in the Kiawah forecast for today, 30% chance of rain, but winds increasing to 15 mph. Looks like they received some decent overnight rain so softness of the course could mitigate the impact of the wind.

Maybe the cut will go from +1 to +2 but can't see anything worse than that, so Westwood needs something special today or he can return to his househunting.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:12 pm

The live video coverage has started and wind already seems quite strong.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:13 pm

super_realist wrote:Lots of club players are just as good tee to green as a pro, it's just the chipping and putting where they lack, and in the mental department.

yep thats true.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:14 pm

I once played with a amateur who had played The Open and The Masters and we were pretty even for most of it, but he gubbed me around the green, good lesson though, as I now put all my effort into the short game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:43 pm

Poor start for Donald and he will be lucky to play the weekend but if this wind continues the cut could move to plus 3/4

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:54 pm

I know one open player vaugely, and played against him at junior level , The biggest difference was actually his ball striking from some of the worst lies immaginable!

The ball might as well have been from a perfect lie in the fairway!

But his short game was also mint

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:01 pm

sirbenson wrote:The live video coverage has started and wind already seems quite strong.
where could one find said coverage benson?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:03 pm

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/live/pga/player.html?pga_iid=12pgachamps_PGAEditorial

It usually only works in the states but it is working perfectly here for me (in Dublin) it is featuring the major champions group.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:03 pm

Arr donald come on dig deep!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:08 pm

8 shots separate world #1 from John Daly ... but expect that gap to narrow. Still, a fine start for the redneck vet.

Can't finally win a major if you don't play the weekend, however.

Chasing a little white ball for a living very hard work, so the difference between the local scratch player who has honed his game on a few courses vs. a touring pro who plays all types of courses, setups, and has to make cuts to cash in is huge. Short game has a lot to do with it - but it's more about the extra gear IMO.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:12 pm

Mickelson off birdie birdie and the only one under par for the day on the back nine.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:21 pm

Who put a Spaniard in the works (sorry John Lennon)?
The Mechanic with a snowman on the shortish par-4 3rd.

The Most Interesting Man In The World will no doubt be muttering, "Stay thirsty my friends". RedWine

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:37 pm

It could be a big break for the afternoon's groups if it gets stormy this afternoon and they play in calmer conditions tomorrow.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:38 pm

Looks like there's some elephant traps about for anyone not playing sensibly this morning. Gonzo +3 for his first 5, MAJ +5 thru 3, Molinari +3 thru 4, Charl ditto, Bubba +2 thru 3, Sneds +4 thru 3, Stanley +4 thru 4, Donald +2 thru 1, Colsaerts +3 thru 5, Hansen +4 thru 5, Rollins +5 thru 5, Scott +2 thru 4, Bae +5 for his last 4.
Rollins, Molinari and Gonzo have pulled shots back at least. Makes Donaldson's 4 par, 2 birdie start all the more impressive.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:46 pm

Apologies Jamie...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:24 pm

Anyone with live coverage know what's going on? Scoring as high as I can remember in a PGA round.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next