The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallaby v All Blacks: Live Match Thread

+33
yappysnap
Portnoy
Knackeredknees
EnglishReign
rainbow-warrior
dw7
wales606
valjester
doctor_grey
munkian
FerN
Notch
Ozzy3213
dallym
Full Credit
pete (buachaill on eirne)
kiakahaaotearoa
disneychilly
formerly known as Sam
George Carlin
Rory_Gallagher
emack2
boomeranga
nganboy
OzT
ChequeredJersey
aucklandlaurie
Biltong
Morgannwg
Taylorman
gowales
bluestonevedder
Pal Joey
37 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Wallaby v All Blacks: Live Match Thread Empty Wallaby v All Blacks: Live Match Thread

Post by Pal Joey Wed 08 Aug 2012, 3:27 am

1st Match: 2012 Bledisloe Cup - The Rugby Championship
Saturday 18th August, 2012.
Sydney Olympic Stadium, 8:00pm

Wallabies:

15 Kurtley Beale
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
13 Rob Horne
12 Anthony Fainga'a
11 Digby Ioane
10 Berrick Barnes
9 Will Genia
8 Scott Higginbotham
7 David Pocock (capt)
6 Dave Dennis
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Sitaleki Timani
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tatafu Polota Nau
1 Benn Robinson

Reserves:
16 Stephen Moore, 17 James Slipper, 18 Rob Simmons, 19 Radike Samo, 20 Michael Hooper, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Drew Mitchell

All Blacks:

15 Israel Dagg
14 Cory Jane
13 Ma'a Nonu
12 Sonny Bill Williams
11 Hosea Gear
10 Dan Carter
9 Aaron Smith
8 Kieran Read
7 Richie McCaw
6 Liam Messam
5 Sam Whitelock
4 Luke Romano
3 Owen Franks
2 Keven Mealamu
1 Tony Woodcock

Reserves:
16 Andrew Hore, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Victor Vito, 19 Brodie Retalick, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Aaron Cruden, 22 Ben Smith

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:58 am; edited 7 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Wallaby v All Blacks: Live Match Thread Empty Re: Wallaby v All Blacks: Live Match Thread

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:18 am

Good looking squad- as always. I'm interested in seeing how Liam Gill goes. Should hopefully provide some excellent competition for Pocock.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Wallaby v All Blacks: Live Match Thread Empty Re: Wallaby v All Blacks: Live Match Thread

Post by gowales Wed 08 Aug 2012, 2:11 pm

Strange to see so many forwards and so few backs but i suppose the majority of the Aussie backs can play pretty much every position!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 09 Aug 2012, 1:52 am

Gotta love the confidence of the aussies. Theyre already in camp talking up revenge for the semi final last year. Theyre without JOC and Howill and Cooper is suss at best and no certified goal kicker.

They've had all 5 teams suffer terribly at sxv something I predicted would happen beginning of the year if they spread the talent the way they did- injuries to key players and no real top side.

And given all that I'm still gonna be shaking on the day in Sydney cos with these guys you just never know what to expect Tumbleweed

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:17 am

I think the guys that stepped proved they were good cover. I think Barnes should stay at fly-half, Cooper is too flaky. Don't see why JOC is such a big loss? Is McCabe injured?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 09 Aug 2012, 6:23 am

Mccabes injured yes. Confidence is the biggest thing going for this side. Sometimes I wish the Abs had this swagger that all Australian teams have. They don't seem to care what problems or issues they have. They just want to get on with it.

Love it...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Aug 2012, 6:37 am

Taylorman wrote:Gotta love the confidence of the aussies. Theyre already in camp talking up revenge for the semi final last year. Theyre without JOC and Howill and Cooper is suss at best and no certified goal kicker.

They've had all 5 teams suffer terribly at sxv something I predicted would happen beginning of the year if they spread the talent the way they did- injuries to key players and no real top side.

And given all that I'm still gonna be shaking on the day in Sydney cos with these guys you just never know what to expect Tumbleweed

They should be more concerned about the revenge that is coming for the last few years and the QF.

There's a storm coming. The Neanderthal storm.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 09 Aug 2012, 6:38 am

Morgannwg wrote:I think the guys that stepped proved they were good cover. I think Barnes should stay at fly-half, Cooper is too flaky. Don't see why JOC is such a big loss? Is McCabe injured?

You arent referring to james O'Connor are you?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 09 Aug 2012, 6:45 am

Taylorman wrote:Mccabes injured yes. Confidence is the biggest thing going for this side. Sometimes I wish the Abs had this swagger that all Australian teams have. They don't seem to care what problems or issues they have. They just want to get on with it.

Love it...

Your lot aren't short of swagger... and neither are SA.

Or is that a remnant of the 'neanderthal limp', BB? Hug

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:32 am

Whistle Yeah, ours aren't really a swagger it is more of a side to side shuffle, we keep dragging our knuckles though.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:36 am

Some interesting tips in your thread... have you done yours yet?
(also did my Currie Cup ones on SB... don't ask me to explain!) Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:39 am

Which thread?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 09 Aug 2012, 8:10 am

Your Rugby Championship tipping one and the SportsBru one for the first 3 Currie Cup games too.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 09 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:I think the guys that stepped proved they were good cover. I think Barnes should stay at fly-half, Cooper is too flaky. Don't see why JOC is such a big loss? Is McCabe injured?

Yes. Aus have good fly-halves and wingers (the positions he covers). He was good at the world cup against the minnows. Cooper was erratic and just not very effective at the world cup. We haven't seen much of either since. A good player no doubt but where's the huge loss?

Aside from the December match against Wales, where O'Connor was excellent in the number 10 jersey.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

The Aussies will need all the X factor they can get to beat NZ.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:52 pm

At least we've done it 41 times before - one more time is not out of the realms of possibility. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:15 pm

Well to get the Bledisdole anyway thumbsup

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:28 pm

Is JOC still out?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:04 pm

Linebreaker wrote:At least we've done it 41 times before - one more time is not out of the realms of possibility. Smile

See what I mean LB...swagger..."always look on the bright side...of...life"..(sung to the tune of....)... clap

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:35 pm

Notice how I conveniently forgot to mention the other 102 games... 5 of which were draws? Laugh

(note: my 'source' may be incorrect - I thought it was more like 114-46 or something?)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:49 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Notice how I conveniently forgot to mention the other 102 games... 5 of which were draws? Laugh

(note: my 'source' may be incorrect - I thought it was more like 114-46 or something?)

Yep thats what I mean, its the glass is half full thinking I like...what could be not 'but this or that...'

On our ABs site Ozzie are looking to have 'the perefct scrum'... I mean...not even just a good one... OK

Last edited by Taylorman on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 09 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm

'the perfect scrum', oh man, I can't wait to see those new Neanderthals we've dragged up from the Northern Territories.... ooops, nope, I see from the team sheet we haven't unearthed any new Neanderthals.... so back to just having a 'good un' then!!

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:55 am

Biltong wrote: Whistle Yeah, ours aren't really a swagger it is more of a side to side shuffle, we keep dragging our knuckles though.

that's your best side step isn't it?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:06 am

Morgannwg wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Yes. Aus have good fly-halves and wingers (the positions he covers). He was good at the world cup against the minnows. Cooper was erratic and just not very effective at the world cup. We haven't seen much of either since. A good player no doubt but where's the huge loss?

Aside from the December match against Wales, where O'Connor was excellent in the number 10 jersey.

McCabe is a bit of a journeyman in my opinion good enough for the bench though.
And Barnes is only a little less flakey than Cooper - though a better defender.
I think OConnor's best position is 12 and if they had time together could form a fantastic combination with AAC at 13.
I think he is a huge loss.
An Aus back line with all its top players on form is probably the most creative and dangerous in the world. Luckily they don't get to play together much due to injuries
9 - Genia
10 - Cooper
11 - Ioane
12 - O'Connor
13 - Ashely-Cooper
14 - Mitchell (probably a tiny bit past it to be honest)
15 - Beale

With Barnes, McCabe, Fainga as reserves

Just so much skill and pace.
If they could get it together they could score a few tries against a AB team without Conrad Smith

Note - got to big up those criminals just in case they steal one off us
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:14 am

I honestly rate JOC as Australia's 2nd best winger, best FH, best 12 and 3rd best 15
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:16 am

And I think he is in the top 5 in the world at least in the positions of wing, 10 and maybe 12 and the top 10 fullbacks
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:16 am

Actually, definitely 12
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:30 am

Morgannwg wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

The Loss is that besides the positions you mention, he also is a World class International Fullback and centre,Plus He also happens to be one of the most talented backs in International rugby. I just presumed that you were talking about someone else with the initials JOC.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:16 am

nganboy wrote:
Biltong wrote: Whistle Yeah, ours aren't really a swagger it is more of a side to side shuffle, we keep dragging our knuckles though.

that's your best side step isn't it?
Some of the opposition players in the past fell for that, and thought it was, but no.

Neanderthals don't have sidesteps. laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:50 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:And I think he is in the top 5 in the world at least in the positions of wing, 10 and maybe 12 and the top 10 fullbacks

That's a bit strong...

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

The Loss is that besides the positions you mention, he also is a World class International Fullback and centre,Plus He also happens to be one of the most talented backs in International rugby. I just presumed that you were talking about someone else with the initials JOC.

I don't doubt his talent. He's yet to show me he is as world class as made out. He could have showed it this tournament if his liver wasn't lacerated, so I guess he is a bit of a loss. I still think Barnes is their best fly-half. Cooper will be world class if he gets back to his form before the world cup, otherwise I see him being another Giteau.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 14 Aug 2012, 4:49 am

Berrick Barnes retains his spot at 10, Quade Cooper not selected. Scott Higginbotham moves back to No.8 as Dave Dennis starts at blindside flanker. Anthony Fainga'a will start at 12 in JOC's absence.

Wallabies:

15 Kurtley Beale
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
13 Rob Horne
12 Anthony Fainga'a
11 Digby Ioane
10 Berrick Barnes
9 Will Genia

8 Scott Higginbotham
7 David Pocock (capt)
6 Dave Dennis
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Sitaleki Timani
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tatafu Polota Nau
1 Benn Robinson

Reserves:
16 Stephen Moore, 17 James Slipper, 18 Rob Simmons,
19 Radike Samo, 20 Michael Hooper, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Drew Mitchell.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 14 Aug 2012, 7:59 am

Morgannwg wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:And I think he is in the top 5 in the world at least in the positions of wing, 10 and maybe 12 and the top 10 fullbacks

That's a bit strong...

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

I don't doubt his talent. He's yet to show me he is as world class as made out. He could have showed it this tournament if his liver wasn't lacerated, so I guess he is a bit of a loss. I still think Barnes is their best fly-half. Cooper will be world class if he gets back to his form before the world cup, otherwise I see him being another Giteau.

I'd argue that he showed he was World class in the past 2 trinations tournaments
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:37 am

Linebreaker wrote:Berrick Barnes retains his spot at 10, Quade Cooper not selected. Scott Higginbotham moves back to No.8 as Dave Dennis starts at blindside flanker. Anthony Fainga'a will start at 12 in JOC's absence.

Wallabies:

15 Kurtley Beale
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
13 Rob Horne
12 Anthony Fainga'a
11 Digby Ioane
10 Berrick Barnes
9 Will Genia

8 Scott Higginbotham
7 David Pocock (capt)
6 Dave Dennis
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Sitaleki Timani
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tatafu Polota Nau
1 Benn Robinson

Reserves:
16 Stephen Moore, 17 James Slipper, 18 Rob Simmons,
19 Radike Samo, 20 Michael Hooper, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Drew Mitchell.

I think we are getting there, but there's definitely some limitations in that side. Timani will have to perform beyond anything we've seen so far to make a real mark, but I agree with his selection. Without Horwill or Vickerman I don't see a better partner for Sharpe.

Dennis is a reasonable player, but is a bit of a poor man's Higginbotham. Samo on the bench seems proof we are very light on for backrowers other than opensides. We desperately need a Ferris or an Alberts.

Centers we are struggling. I think Horne will get there, but he's a fair way off the peak at the moment.

Going to be tough, but no point handing it over yet.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 14 Aug 2012, 4:26 pm

What is Higginbotham's position? I know he's played a bit of both, but I thought he was a fine 6, in the mould of Ferris, Alberts, etc.. but could run about more. Pretty good Wallabies team anyway.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

From the look of the back line they are going to meet force with force to Counter act DC,SBW,Nonu.Powerful back row so its down to the set piece.Goal kicking could be crucial hope DC is practicing his.Aaron Smith needs to be on his toes Genia is the worlds best 9.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:43 pm

Yep you got it Alan. Big match up in th centres and faainga is there simply to smash whatever comes his way.

Genia as spoken very highly of Smith during the sxv and has admited his style will improve AB backplay considerably and although that may be typical ozzie 'swagger' he seemed genuine so there's a bit of respect both ways.

A Smith has made it his goal to climb over the top of his position. Started with cowan and its continuing over ellis and weepu.

His real challenges will inevitably be from kerr barlow and Perenara, the latter considered perhaps the best of the three all round.

The real battle is up front and whether oz can foot it without horwill and with new players in. Hansen is a well known tight phase believer in training and won't cut corners there.

The rest I think will be the pressure and the key moments that we know both teams are capable of. How much will oz continue to miss the cooper factor?

We're about to find out.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:56 pm

For me Smith over Kerr Barlow purely because he has what others lack,the ability to pass quickly.His service is the best since Graham Bachop,Weepu is only there for his versatility.Ellis would have been a better bet for me I want to see a 9 playthe full 80minutes.The Bench is very important but there is a tendency to just empty it for the sake of it at times.THAT applies to ALL sides not just the AllBlacks.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:00 pm

Aussie fans - if all players are fit and firing, what would be your preferred centre partnership? Australia have played quite a few different ones over the years. It looks like Horne may have the 13 shirt now though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 14 Aug 2012, 11:04 pm

Morgannwg wrote:What is Higginbotham's position? I know he's played a bit of both, but I thought he was a fine 6, in the mould of Ferris, Alberts, etc.. but could run about more. Pretty good Wallabies team anyway.

He seemed to be heading for 8 Morgan, but the Rebels have Delve at 8 so he will probably go back to 6 next season. We really need another one though as we're paper thin for big physical back rowers. Palu goes ok but is too much of a sick note.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 14 Aug 2012, 11:18 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Aussie fans - if all players are fit and firing, what would be your preferred centre partnership? Australia have played quite a few different ones over the years. It looks like Horne may have the 13 shirt now though.

I'd go for Ben Tapuai at 12 and AAC at 13 Rory. Neither are massive units, but they're both strong-ish, fast-ish and decent defenders. Tapuai is a mix of ball player / runner and AAC more a strike runner so I think they could work well. McCabe has been improving and could make it a 12 or 13 in future. He's not abundantly talented, but he has enough and a great attitude to work at it.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 14 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm

What about O'Connor at 12? To be honest, I think he would thrive there. He also seems to prefer that position apparently.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:02 am

Yeah, there are plenty of calls for him to be in at 12 Rory. I think he's certainly good enough, but a small guy and 12's just seem to be getting bigger and bigger. He gives almost 20kgs to SBW, Nonu, Roberts, etc. He lacks no courage to try, but I fear he would spend his career injured. I'd rather have him on the outside coming in than have him battling injuries.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 15 Aug 2012, 7:12 am

O'Connor's hamstring is still fecked until (current best guess) September, apparently.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 15 Aug 2012, 9:16 am

He said today he was about 90% there so September seems about right.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 15 Aug 2012, 11:56 am

LB; this has been bugging me for a while, but a friend of mine met some Wallabies back in Cardiff in 2010. Who is this guy? At first I thought it might be Tapuai, but that's him in the background right?!

Wallaby v All Blacks: Live Match Thread Wallab11
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 15 Aug 2012, 11:59 am

Hard to tell... you mean the guy to the right? Looks like him.

Is that Glas a du right at the back in the pale blue shirt? Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

No the one with his arm around the girl/guy :-s. But that is Ben in the background.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:20 pm

People look a bit different after a few... it's not a younger Anthony Fainga'a?

girl/guy... Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:26 pm

I don't think so.

Yeah haha, I don't know that person and can't really tell on the photo...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

What about O'Connor at 12? To be honest, I think he would thrive there. He also seems to prefer that position apparently.

I think he looks a little stiffled at times in the centres, when he is at 10 and has a bit of licence to try to make things happen he looks good but I think in the back three is where he is most lethal. Give him space to exploit and O'Connor is just lethal, at fullback is where he is best but then what do you do with the equally gifted Kurtley Beale?

Well personally I'd move Beale to 10 have O'Connor at 15 and then solidify that midfield defence in the short term. The return of Cooper will make things interesting there though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next