The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Currie Cup round 1: Preview

5 posters

Go down

Currie Cup round 1: Preview Empty Currie Cup round 1: Preview

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 am

The Currie Cup Premier division start off this weekend and there is much anticipation in the country to see our 120 year old tournament kick off. The Lions who won the Campionship last year is currently in some turmoil after sacking their coaches and with John Mitchell still on suspension. Their captain Josh Struass has resigned his captaincy and former Springbok Johan Ackerman is currently caretaker coach.

Fixtures for the weekend.

Friday 10th August: Bulls vs Griquas at Loftus

The Bulls has a rather youthfull squad after losing 11 players to the Springbok squad but the good news is young Jan Serfontein, star of the JWC winning squad will make his debut for the Bulls. The Griquas team should not be written off or taken lightly, they usually start the Currie Cup of with a bang and this season should be no different, expect a close game, the Bulls squad is young and the Griquas will be out to win this one.

My prediction Bulls by 7

Saturday 11th August:

Lions vs Cheetahs at Ellispark

The Lions as defending champions will be looking to start off their campagin with a win, having only lost Elton Jantjies to the Springboks you can expect them to do well even with a new coaching structure, the Cheetahs on the other hand has lost some players to the Springboks and are also suffering from a number of injuries to key individuals such as Johan Goosen and Coenie Oosthuizen. Expect a competitive game, but the Lions to ultimately win it.

My prediction Lions by 10

Western Province vs Sharks at Newlands.

Western Province at home against a Sharks team who has lost 12 players for the Currie Cup, 10 to the Springboks with Kankowski on his way to Japan and Freddy Michalack going back to France. Western Province still has some injury concerns, but with only a handful of Springboks out of the mix, you would expect them to win this one, the difficult thing about this game is the form of the Sharks and the depth they have. I am not so sure how to predict this one, Peter Grant will likely be the catalyst and the Western Province defensive system might just pull this through by virtue of some solid defence.

My prediction and I am going to be bold here: Sharks by 7

I will put the teams up as the are available.

I am loooking forward to the Currie Cup this year, it has been reduced to six teams from eight last year, so the games should all be very competitive and I doubt there will be many blow outs. you can expect plenty of tries, around 6 per match and some great running rugby with a good number of newcomers to the premier division who will be wnating to stamp their mark on the competition.

If you are playing the Sportsguru/Superbru competition, don't forget to make your predictions early.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Currie Cup round 1: Preview Empty Re: Currie Cup round 1: Preview

Post by Biltong Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Results week 1

Bulls 35 - Griquas 20

Blue Bulls – Tries: Akona Ndungane, Ruan Snyman. Conversions: Louis Fouche (2). Penalties: Fouche (7).

Griquas – Tries: Rocco Jansen, Martin Muller. Conversions: Francois Brummer (2). Penalty: Brummer. Drop Goal: Brummer

The Bulls baically dominated the territory game with their kicking, Griquas tried to compete with that and it cost them the match, they should keep ball in hand rather as they looked rather competent on attack when they did.

Griquas led 13-9 at halftime.

Lions 43 - Cheetahs 20

MTN Golden Lions – Tries: Derrick Minnie, Andries Coetzee, Hendrik Roodt, Ruan Combrinck. Conversions: Butch James (3), Guy Cronje (1). Penalties: James (5).

Toyota Free State Cheetahs – tries: Raymond Rhule (2). Conversions: Riaan Smit (2). Penalties: Smit (2)

the youngster Raymond Rhule from the victorious JWC made his debut for the Cheetahs and scored both their tries, the first was an easy one, all he had to to was run through to dot the ball down, his second was a 30 meter run down the sideline, he had to beat three defenders and his pace and feet got him clear for a well worked try.

Sarel Pretorius came back from the Waratahs to join the Cheetahs for the Currie Cup and when he came on as replacement in the second half he immediately made a big difference with some sharp service behind the ruck and a few sniping runs.

The Lions was stifled of possession and territory for most of the game but executed their attack a lot better, Butch James took the place of Elton Jantjies who was called up to the Boks and controlled the game well and had a 100% goal kicking display.

The Lions scrum was also very solid at the setpiece.

Sharks 25 - Western Province 23

MR Price Sharks - Tries, Craig Burden (2), Paul Jordaan. Conversion: Riaan Viljoen (2) Penalty (1), dropgoal (1)

DHL Western Province - Tries, Deon Fourie (2). Conversions: Joe Pietersen (2), penalties (3)

The Sharks started very slowly and went into the halftime break 13-3 down. But two early tries in the first 5 minutes of the second half put them ahead, it was very wet underfoot,and both teams opted for the up and under which worked to the detriment of Western Province, two of the sharks tries came directly from poor execution of the high ball and Craig burden were on hand both times to score.

Both teams chose to run the ball in the second half and it made for some exciting rugby inspite of the wet weather. Western Province seems to have realised that kicking the ball away in the last ten minutes is not going to win many games, and as they recieved a penalty with 9 minutes to go and 6 points behind tey opted for the corner kick which led to their second try.

If they keep this attitude for the rest of the Currie Cup, it might just put them in good stead for next year.

One thing that was disappointing from the weekend was the very poor crowds at all three matches. It must be said though that the past week has been the coldest week this winter and might have convinced people to stay at home.

But overall a good start to the Currie Cup.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:54 pm

How did Serfontein play? Does he look comfortable at this level?

Also why did Strauss resign as the Lions captain? I thought he was the standout for them.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Serfontein only had about 7 minutes on the field and made one or two tackles, I expected him to get more time.

Struass said he wants to concentrate on his own game, I think he wants that Bok spot.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:47 am

Is Serfontein related to Divan is it?

Used to like that name years ago.

He looks good anyway. His size might help him get into the boks quicker but in the under 20s he showed some good energy with ball in hand. Didn't see a lot of him but a potential star for sure.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:21 am

Yellow cap for me in Superbru Yahoo
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Yeah, lucky guess on the points difference, but I am right behind you. steam

I am sure my tips were usefull though, in fact more useful to you than to me.Currie Cup round 1: Preview Banghe10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Biltong wrote:Yeah, lucky guess on the points difference, but I am right behind you. steam

I am sure my tips were usefull though, in fact more useful to you than to me.Currie Cup round 1: Preview Banghe10

Actually I didn't read your tips until today Very Happy

Did a bit of research on my own. I might guess but am never lucky Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:05 pm

It seems your research is then better than my suggestions. Crying or Very sad
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Biltong wrote:It seems your research is then better than my suggestions. Crying or Very sad

Biltong mate, I'm 56. My early promise won't last.

Just ask the missus Laugh
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Laugh Thanks mate, I feel a lot better now, problem is I am not that far behind you. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:45 am

Round 2:

Friday 17th August 2012
Freestate Cheetahs vs Blue Bulls - Bloemfontein.

The Bulls have only made one (injury enforced) change to their side CJ Stander comes in for Arno Botha (Hamstring injury). The Cheetahs have reshuffled their backline to gain more empitus on attack, and added Sias Ebersohn at 10, and Sarel Pretorius who made a big impact when he came on in the second half last week will start at nine.

The Bulls dominated the Griquas with their tactical kicking but won't find that as easy against a Cheetah side who will be disappointed with their performance last weeked when they had the lion share of the possession and territory and yet couldn't break down the defences of the Lions, with Sarel Pretorius and Ebersohn as their half back pairing, the Bulls might find it hard to beat the Cheetahs.

My pick - Cheetahs by 9

Saturday 18th August 2012.
Griquas vs Western Province - Kimeberley.

The Griquas will have to do without their Super Rugby star Willie le Roux who has been suspended for dangerous play. Western Province have lost Tiaan Liebenberg to the Springboks after the injury to Chiliboy Ralapelle so had to move Deon Fourie from 8 to 2.

Western Privince will want to bounce back after their loss to the sharks last weekend and will have to use their backline a lot more in attack. The result of this match will depend heavily on the game plan Griquas brings to the table and their discipline will be key.

Dimitri Catrakilis has a very accurate boot and will punish them for any offences they might commit.

My pick - Western Province by a few.

18th August 2012
Sharks vs Golden Lions - Durban.

This is the match of the weekend, defending Champions vs defeated finalists. Both had a good start to their respective campaigns last weekend and will be keen to conitue their march.

The biggest question is how motivated will the Lions be after the decision this week to kick them out of the Super rugby competition for 2013.

My pick - Sharks by 15

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:23 am

Didn't get my superbru predictions in, but for the first week I would have not gotten much extra points in anycase

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down