The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bath Rugby Thread

+49
Higher_Ground
munkian
Hood83
SecretFly
mbernz
Sgt_Pooly
boomeranga
twoeightnine
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
The Great Aukster
tigerleghorn
toml
Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
Scrumdown
ScarletSpiderman
Scrumpy
nathan
Captain_Sensible
Taylorman
GavinDragon
aucklandlaurie
sirtidychris
EnglishReign
Pot Hale
bluestonevedder
Bathman_in_London
thebandwagonsociety
gregortree
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ChequeredJersey
tatterd
SirJohnnyEnglish
Portnoy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
beshocked
DaveM
PJHolybloke
maestegmafia
thebluesmancometh
bathmad
HongKongCherry
Jimpy
yappysnap
rodders
Effervescing Elephant
formerly known as Sam
Bathite
HERSH
53 posters

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Bath Rugby Thread - Page 13 Empty The Bath Rugby Thread

Post by HERSH Wed 15 Aug 2012, 1:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

The dedicated home of all things Bath Rugby,

Please feel free to discuss all things Bath related, so pull up a chair an have a quite drink among friends, mines a Bath Ales Dark Side please. guinness

Other fans welcome but remember, play nicely.

Last edited by HERSH on Sun 04 Nov 2012, 8:22 pm; edited 8 times in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

The Bath Rugby Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Bath Rugby Thread

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm

Aye, fella, can't wait - should be a cracking w/end guinness

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:02 am

Looking forward to it more than Christmas. Very Happy guinness
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:10 pm

I don't understand why Bath don't just pay him off and book him a one way ticket back to NZ
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 05 Jan 2013, 5:59 pm

VictorU3 wrote:I don't understand why Bath don't just pay him off and book him a one way ticket back to NZ

If they had a whip round next home game they would easily cover that.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:19 pm

I expect even a few Glaws fans would chip in!

On a serious note Bath seem to be going backwards since GG took over, I know he needs to be given time to bring in the players he wants but how much time and patience do Bath fans have left?

I'm gutted with how we are playing these days and won't be forking out any more money to watch them this season, how do you guys feel?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

Pretty much the same Vic, that was just appalling really.

Abendanon and Louw were the only two players to come out of that with their heads held high.

I don't know what's going on at the club, but if the players are playing for the coach, you can't see it. If they're playing for new contracts, you can't see it. If they're playing for the club, you can't see it. If they're playing for pride, you can't see it...

Makes you wonder why WE bother sometimes, but that's really been the lot of a Bath fan for a few seasons now, come back Smee, come back. Cry
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 07 Jan 2013, 10:45 am

PJHolybloke wrote:Pretty much the same Vic, that was just appalling really.

Abendanon and Louw were the only two players to come out of that with their heads held high.

I don't know what's going on at the club, but if the players are playing for the coach, you can't see it. If they're playing for new contracts, you can't see it. If they're playing for the club, you can't see it. If they're playing for pride, you can't see it...

Makes you wonder why WE bother sometimes, but that's really been the lot of a Bath fan for a few seasons now, come back Smee, come back. Cry

I was hearing good things about Banahan at 12, and Mercer's performance?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 07 Jan 2013, 10:52 am

Well that was fairly awful. I had come back from hols, feeling perky, sat down to watch my team play and saw a seriously limp second half. Did Bath even have the ball in their half?

I really don't understand what is going on. Bath made a great start but as has been seen repeatedly, as soon as the other team comes back in to it there doesnt seem to be the fight. You can't lose the ball that much and expect to win.

We are currently less than the sum of our parts and considering a new coaching team was brought in at great expense, thats not good enough frankly.

The plus' for me were Bendy and Louw (how long will they hang around? I wouldnt blame either if they left) and Attwood and Beech both looked good when they came on.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:03 am

Just seem to make so many unforced errors. How many times did we make a very basic handling error and/or lose it in contact yesterday? Couldn't string 3/4 phases together or get territory to play the game. Very frustrating.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 08 Jan 2013, 3:43 pm

Whats going on now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20831944

Is it me or does being a Bath fan get worse and worse each day?

If only I had a fast forward button to get to the end of the season.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 08 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

Brad hasn't appeared at any of the last few games, it sounded to me as if he was being edged out and has asked to leave his contract early.

If he does leave it will be a real shame, he was a good ambassador for the club and a good bloke into the bargin. Worth noting that Bath's defence was one of the best the league last season, prior to the bringing in of Mike Ford.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote:Pretty much the same Vic, that was just appalling really.

I was hearing good things about Banahan at 12, and Mercer's performance?

Banners was OK, did what he does, got across the gainline, fixed the Wasps defence more than once, but just didn't get out of the first couple of gears and found nothing on the outside, his offload game has gone to schitt too, possibly because it's too high risk for GG?

Mercer was effective at the breakdown but needs to be more dynamic in his link play. I guess the first half with Beaver at his ineffective best didn't offer him much and although Heathcote came on at half time, Bath spent pretty much the second half defending. Net result was the equivalent of having a note from his mom excusing him from PE. Very Happy

I think it's a collective problem as there appears to be a disconnect between the squad, the coaches and the gameplan, maybe there's unrest over Davisgate, who knows?

I'm already of the opinion that this season is a right-off and we'll have to give the head-shed a chance to build their own squad over the spring/summer, I just don't see that there's enough leeway in the salary cap and contracts coming to an end to make the kind of difference Bath are crying out for...

More of the same next season anyone? Rolling Eyes
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 09 Jan 2013, 11:19 am

"More of the same next season anyone?"

God I hope not!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Thu 10 Jan 2013, 9:35 pm

Mike phillips to bath according to S4C

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:25 pm

Everyone to Bath according to the media Scrumdown, it makes us very weary.

I wouldn't mind Phillips, but I'll believe it when I see him in the BB&W. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat 12 Jan 2013, 11:47 am

Bath Team vs Agen

Abendanon;
Woodburn,
Hipkiss
Ben Williams
Agulla
Heathcote
McMillan

James
Mears
Wilson
Attwood
Caldwell
Skuse
Louw (capt)
Koster.

Replacements: Dunn, Beech, Perenise, Hooper, Mercer, Cook, Eastmond, Vesty.

This is the most balenced Bath team I have seen in a while, we have a proper 12,13 combo not a backline of converted wingers and we have a very mobile backrow. Great to see woodburn and Koster starting hopefully they will step up and show the potential they are known to have.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat 12 Jan 2013, 11:39 pm

Bath win 19-16 in horrendous conditons...shabby game but we are into the 1/4 finals..

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 13 Jan 2013, 9:57 am

One for the aficionados then STC?

A comfortable 5 pointer against Bucharesti will see Bath play a home quarter- final against the 5th placed pool winner, most likely to be one of Wasps, Worcester or Stade.

It's about time the competition got interesting, when you have a group like Bath's it's only ever going to be exciting if you're doing the away games.

Two Low Value games to come against Exeter and Glaws followed by two very winnable games in the AP. The next 6 weeks could define Bath's season, is it too late to turn things around, or are we destined for another disappointing season as Bath fans?

Fearns is on his way back, Webber is chucking his weight about in training, Ovens is ready, Koster is proving his fitness, Taylor is due back anytime now... he'll we may be able to see the first choice XV if Davy gets let off England duty.

Just in the nick of time perhaps?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sun 13 Jan 2013, 12:30 pm

It wasn't pretty but Tom Mcheathcote did the job with the boot and our defense was pretty good....conditions probably suited our current style of play TBH.

I worry about bath for the rest of the season as I don't think Gold still has a clue what his best team is ! At lock, backrow, flyhalf, centre and wing we seem to chop and change all the time with no-one really putting their hand up. for me going forward (injuries and call ups permitting) i would like to see this team

James
Mears
Wilson
Attwood
Caldwell
Fearns
Louw
Koster

Claasens
Heathcote
Biggs
Banahan
Hipkiss
Agulla
Bendy

Catt
Webber
Perenise
Hooper
Taylour/Louw/Ovens
Mcmillan
Donald
Eastmond

I honestly think things would be alot brighter if we held onto OB1, how we let him go at that point in the season i'll never know !!! he was on fire, scoring all our points, would offer so much balance to our back line now allowing banners to push out to 13, and can nail his kicks unlike daffy duck....poor poor decision, by all accounts he's struggling abit at metro now as well.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Sun 13 Jan 2013, 1:01 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:Everyone to Bath according to the media Scrumdown, it makes us very weary.

I wouldn't mind Phillips, but I'll believe it when I see him in the BB&W. OK

S4C are usually in the know about these things as one of their pundits Derwyn Jones is an agent. Mike Phillips is a client of his.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 14 Jan 2013, 9:42 am

sirtidychris wrote:

James
Mears
Wilson
Attwood
Caldwell
Fearns
Louw
Koster

Claasens
Heathcote
Biggs
Banahan
Hipkiss
Agulla
Bendy

Catt
Webber
Perenise
Hooper
Taylour/Louw/Ovens
Mcmillan
Donald (really! we could run a raffle each week to see who'll get the place on the bench, could they be any worse than Donald?)
Eastmond

I like that team, on paper anyway. OK
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:11 am

Can't argue too much with that team, the pack looks strong, we could really do with Fearns staying fit for more than a handful of games!

I hope this Amlin period will provide a bit of a kick start to the season, hopefully some of the players like Koster and McHeathcote will come into some form and force their way into the team,mix things up a bit and hopefully get some fire in the players.

Also does anyone know why Ovens hasn't played much this season? I would have thought he would have played more?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 14 Jan 2013, 5:37 pm

Ovens is injured at the moment with a back problem, but not sure if thats the reason why he's been horrendously underplayed by bath this season? He was on fire when on loan at bristol, and rumour has it he's peeved at his lack of game time, still he has one year left on his contract so wont be off to exeter just yet !

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

Not sure Mike Phillips is coming to us next season, but I think either or both of Mickey Young and Martin Roberts will. Derwyn Jones represents the latter, as well as Dom Day and Paul James, so has connections with us already.

I have a hunch (hope) Donald won't take up the last year of his contract and head to the Land of the Rising Sun, freeing up a mighty wedge for us to bring in Joseph, Garvey, and Watson from Irish, plus a prop, together with the marquee player slot, which can be used to chain Flouw to the club.

There'll be a good few departures beyond Donald, too. Claassy, McMillan, Hipkiss, Vesty, Cuthbert, Taylor, Skirving, Ovens, and maybe Attwood and Mercer. That again will replenish the coffers for newbies and contract renewals.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 15 Jan 2013, 4:02 pm

Hipkiss out of contract?

I think Karl Dickson would be a perfect SH signing. He's far too good to be 2nd choice at a club.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 15 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm

Dickson would be a very good signing. Mcky Young could be interesting, he hasnt really kicked on since leaving Newcastle.

It will be interesting to see who leaves, we will be able to see what sort of squad/long term plan GG has for the club.

I would be annoyed if Ovens left, I can see him leaving and becoming a regular performer for another club.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:29 pm

Yep, Hipkiss signed on a two year deal. He's looked good when he's played, but he won't want to play second fiddle to JJ and don't think he'll stay.

Both Dickson brothers are good players- too good to be back ups. Joe Simpson is out of contract with Wasps. A cracking attacking scrum half, but not sure he meets GG's model for a 9. Mickey Young was top drawer for Newcastle- Tigers rarely sign duffs, but found his chances limited by Ben Youngs, then when he did play, the dope gouged a Frenchman and ended up being banned.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:09 pm

Hope we don't lose Attwood, he's played some immense games and doesn't disappear with England...unfortunately that's why he might leave for a top 4 team to get another crack at the England shirt...his demise from even the saxons has been mighty unfair..he's probably gone from 3/4th to 10th choice since joining bath and considering Lancaster only has 3 locks in the EPS he's pretty far away now !

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:13 am

If Bath sign another tiggers cast-off, I'm going to stab myself in the eye with one of Jimpy's blunt crayons.

Bath let Freddie Burns move up the road to Castle Grim and in his stead, signed a fat under-talented over-paid whitebait fisherman who falls off tackles my 76 year old Ma could make, and just because he pulled on a black jersey a couple of times when New Zealand were desperate.

Bath have issues when it comes to bringing the young talent through the academy system and integrating them into the senior squad. I don't know why, I'm just a kitchen fitter, but I do know talent when I see it and I do know Bath will let some more go before the end of May. Ovens, Mercer and Heathcote could be just 3 of them.

GG has a master plan that the team just aren't buying into, if he has half a mind that he can mould this club in his own image and produce the goods from 'kick and chase' to get himself a contract renewal, he's in cloud cuckoo land. There is neither the time nor the enthusiasm for it.

This is Bath, we practically invented the idea of dominating the opposition with forwards power before handing the ball over to the magical girls at the back (admittedly that was shortly after nicking the idea from our Welsh neighbours), and our club has now apparently evolved into one where those halcyon days are not only ignored but positively frowned upon.

Bring back SMee, he''ll be wasted down there anyway.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:16 am

How has Cardwell been going since he came back? Any return to the form he was showing last season

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:48 am

PJHolybloke wrote:If Bath sign another tiggers cast-off, I'm going to stab myself in the eye with one of Jimpy's blunt crayons.

Bath let Freddie Burns move up the road to Castle Grim and in his stead, signed a fat under-talented over-paid whitebait fisherman who falls off tackles my 76 year old Ma could make, and just because he pulled on a black jersey a couple of times when New Zealand were desperate.

Bath have issues when it comes to bringing the young talent through the academy system and integrating them into the senior squad. I don't know why, I'm just a kitchen fitter, but I do know talent when I see it and I do know Bath will let some more go before the end of May. Ovens, Mercer and Heathcote could be just 3 of them.

GG has a master plan that the team just aren't buying into, if he has half a mind that he can mould this club in his own image and produce the goods from 'kick and chase' to get himself a contract renewal, he's in cloud cuckoo land. There is neither the time nor the enthusiasm for it.

This is Bath, we practically invented the idea of dominating the opposition with forwards power before handing the ball over to the magical girls at the back (admittedly that was shortly after nicking the idea from our Welsh neighbours), and our club has now apparently evolved into one where those halcyon days are not only ignored but positively frowned upon.

Bring back SMee, he''ll be wasted down there anyway.

Your Donald description made me chuckle, but I don't see how a big bloke can be so bad at grabbing someones legs and then falling over. Frankly if he is going to Japan then I don't see why he should be anything other than a bench warmer for the rest of the season. Heathcote is a young local lad and given that he is bound to be tempted away, should be given as much game time as possible so he actually wants to stay, rather than being driven out like so many of our decent young players.

Letting Burns go will have to rank up there as one of the worst choices an English club has made. For the sake of what, less than £10k? Mind you the whole Brownsword era, while bringing financial stability to the club did result in a lot of players leaving as they weren't being offered the market rate. How can a club expect to lose Catt, Tindall, Balshaw, Voyce etc. all internationals, over the course of a season or 2 and not suffer?

Generally not impressed at the moment (and havent been for a while), it was only a couple of years ago that we played some of the best rugby in the league, the likes of Stevens, Mears, Lipman etc offloading out of the tackle, always playing at pace, scoring tries for fun. On paper Biggs, Eastmond, Bendy etc should be arguably even better but the just don't get the ball!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:11 am

For my sanity I've written Baths season off and I won't be going to anymore away games this year, I might think twice about home games too.
As for bringing back Meehan, yes please.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:17 am

VictorU3 wrote:For my sanity I've written Baths season off and I won't be going to anymore away games this year, I might think twice about home games too.
As for bringing back Meehan, yes please.

That isn't what you said last time HERSH.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:28 am

I'm sure following me topic to topic counts as harassment Jimpy, once again I'm not this hersh guy.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:39 am

Michael Claassens enters Toulon talks

Bath head coach Gary Gold has confirmed scrum-half Michael Claassens has entered talks with Toulon over a potential summer move.

The South Africa international, 30, is out of contract at the end of the season and reports over the weekend linked him with a move to France.

"He's been open and honest with us and he is in talks," boss Gold told BBC Radio Bristol.

"I'm sure Michael will tell us as soon as anything can be confirmed."

Claassens has been at The Rec since 2007, having previously played for the Cheetahs in his homeland, and has made 117 Premiership appearances.

Meanwhile, Gold has said he is already looking at potential signings for the summer.

"Since January we've been allowed to go out and have a look. We've known who is on the market for a while," added Gold.

"We've got a few irons in the fire and some potentially exciting prospects coming through."

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:59 am

Pretty much consigned to losing claasens...hope we can get some decent signings, probably end up with Harry Ellis !

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:01 am

I dont blame him, big money, sunshine and a successful club. He has given more than enough to Bath in the last 5 years or so.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:03 am

That wouldn't surprise me if we signed Ellis
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:29 am

VictorU3 wrote:I'm sure following me topic to topic counts as harassment Jimpy, once again I'm not this hersh guy.

Following you from topic to topic?

You mean on two, possibly three - that I had previously posted on anyway and was tracking?

picard

You havent changed.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:46 am

Grow up mate, try and add something to this forum other than insults and general nastiness, since I've been on here I haven't seen you make a single comment that isn't designed to annoy someone else.

I guess it’s a sign of the times that rugby fans are more like football fans these days.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:51 am

VictorU3 wrote:Grow up mate, try and add something to this forum other than insults and general nastiness, since I've been on here I haven't seen you make a single comment that isn't designed to annoy someone else.

I guess it’s a sign of the times that rugby fans are more like football fans these days.

You said it HERSHY boy.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:57 am

Whatever mate.

I don't have anytime for you.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:00 am

Anyway let's talk about Bath rugby. Afterall that's what the thread is called.

Bath fans how close to the cap do you think you are?

You have been linked to quite a few players but do you think you'll be to lure them to your cause?

I think the best signing for you would be Jonathan Joseph if you can get him.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:09 am

Amen to that.

I think we're on or just over the cap, but with Donald, Classens plus others leaving or out of contract that will be reduced.

I think JJ will be coming but unless we improve before the end of the season then I can't see too many players wanting to come to Bath.

I've heard that Attwood might be going as his fallen off the radar of the England management since coming to Bath.

Not a happy club at the moment.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:16 am

Beshocked to the rescue

I'd imagine that we are at the top of the cap now, as most of the big spenders are. But we've got some big salaries due to leave Classens and Donald will be near the 500k mark between them. Possible that Attwood might leave as well and he's rumoured to be on 200k.

Rumours in:
Garvey - lock - LI
Watson - wg/fb - LI
JJ - OC - LI
Roberts - SH - Saints
Young - SH - Tigers

Rumours out;
Attwood
Hipkiss
Classens
Donald
Taylor
Skirving
Vesty
McMillan

The 2 SHs will leave, so we will need to spend big there to fill the gap, but it's likely to be Roberts and/or Young. Ideally I'd love Karl Dickson, but not sure that's likely. Maybe Lee Dickson would fancy it if they do indeed sign Faoutali. (sp)

I don't think Garvey will join, unless Attwood goes, which is a fair swap.

JJ confirmed pretty much, he'll replace Hipkiss. If Watson comes, he'll provide good competition for Bendy and an extra wing slot, which probably signals Banahan and Eastmond are considered centres, with Agulla and Roko covering 13 as well.

My shopping list would be

Big scrummaging TH - ?
Ball carrying 8 - Joubert would be ideal
Two zippy 9s, one with a bullet pass, that does the basics, one pacey scamp to threaten the fringes. Fourie Du Preez would be nice - dreamworld
10 / 12 - anyone with a good kicking game. Frans or Morne Steyn would be lovely - dreamworld

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:24 am

Thanks Bathite for your input.

If I were Bath I would sweep in for Clegg or Botica from Quins if you can't get Ford.

You are looking to sign Micky Young from Tigers - that looks like a good prospect.

Seems like most teams are on the lookout for a tighthead prop but I don't hear much of it from Bath.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

Right now we are back on track...

I would think we are near to the cap, but with a number of departures to come I think there should be room for some trading.

JJ and Watson would be good additions to the backs, Garvey would be a good addition as I feel our pack still doesnt have enough 'dog' in it.

Elsewhere the 9/10 axis will need rethinking, personally I'd like Karl Dickson, offer him some decent cash and the offer to play as 1st choice, although Mickey Young would be good too. We want players with points to prove, not just after the extra cash.

Botica would be a good signing, although I would personally be happy if Heathcote was backed and we brought in a solid Jimmy Gopparth type.

Not sure about the TH? Wilson is a good player and him combined with James and Mears/Webber depending on fitness is a very solid FR I think.

What I want for Bath is to sign players who are hungry for success, not tempted by Brucies millions, try and improve the general squad feeling.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:45 am

Improving the squad feeling is easier said than done but that's what you need to do.

Look at Quins,Sarries and Leicester - try and emulate them.

Obviously you need your own identity but copying bits off these sides will only help you.

Bruce Craig has financial muscle so use it. Look to try things new and push boundaries.

Bath is a desirable city but this needs to be backed up off the pitch and on it.

What is Bath's gameplan/ style?

Quins have the exciting offloading game.

Leicester have the power game but also can mix up their game in attack.

Saracens are the defensive powerhouse who focus on building pressure.

Bath need to figure out what they want to be and build a team reflecting this.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:59 am

With no disrespect to the current top teams, Bath have/ had a traditional style, involving a huge pack and then very quick backs (guscott etc). Even a couple of years ago under Meehan we were playing good offloading rugby in a similar style to Quins are at the present.

Sadly GG's current game plan involves far more kick and chase, which only works with decent kicking and Donald is not O'gara!

But negativity aside, Bath is a very nice city, the new training facilities are one of the best if not the best in the country and who knows, maybe one day the council will allow something to happen stadium wise. So long term off the pitch things are looking fairly good.

The issue is that in the sort term Bath need to find some consistency, once the club has a reputation as a place where you will improve and your England chances will increase (like at Leicester), the signing of players becomes easier and if managed correctly, the club can stay near the top.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

Bathman in London my point is you need the players who are going to execute a certain game style.

Did Gold sign Donald?

It's a virtuous circle that you need to get into - if you are doing well you attract better players mean you do better which attracts better players etc.

You need to get results with what you've got.

Bear in mind Saracens when they first started doing well didn't have Ashton,Hodgson,Wigglesworth,Strettle,Brown,Stevens,Tomkins etc.

Saracens in the 2009/10 season showed you don't need stars to do well. Just the right ethos and mentality.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next