The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Lydiate explains the benefits of not going abroad...!

+8
Casartelli
sugarNspikes
bluestonevedder
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
George Carlin
BigTrevsbigmac
maestegmafia
12 posters

Go down

Dan Lydiate explains the benefits of not going abroad...! Empty Dan Lydiate explains the benefits of not going abroad...!

Post by maestegmafia Thu 16 Aug 2012, 6:53 am

“I’m treated really well at the Dragons, whereas, maybe if you went abroad you are just a lump of meat,” said the 24-year-old.

“We play hard here, but they know when you have your bumps and bruises, so if you have to miss a session they don’t mind, as long as you put it in on the field.

“At a foreign club, it doesn’t matter if you have bumps and bruises. They do pay handsomely, but they pay that well you have got to play.

“I can see why some of the boys have gone out to France, some of the older boys for a different life experience. They might not get that chance again. But for the time being I’m happy here. I love playing with Wales and love being at the Dragons for the time being.

“At the minute, I’m happy here. I can’t thank the Dragons enough, especially in the early days of my career.

“They gave me a chance to play top-flight rugby and give me the chance to put myself on show to the Welsh selectors.

“Maybe if I had have been at other clubs I might not be playing international rugby. I can’t thank them enough.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/08/16/double-delight-for-wales-star-dan-lydiate-91466-31632955/#ixzz23gZSHcMV

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Dan Lydiate explains the benefits of not going abroad...! Empty Re: Dan Lydiate explains the benefits of not going abroad...!

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:01 am

Good for Dan in remaining loyal to his Region.
However, I think the comments about French clubs 'treating players like lumps of meat' may be more justifying his decision rather than reality.
French clubs are often large in size so they can afford to rotate more.

Surely any conditioning coach or medical member of staff would rest a player from training if it jeopardised their condition.

So at the minute Dan is happy.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Dan Lydiate explains the benefits of not going abroad...! Empty Re: Dan Lydiate explains the benefits of not going abroad...!

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:35 am

See you in a wine bar in Toulouse next September, Dan. Cool
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:46 am

I agree to a point that if you are paid a stack of wages then I guess they expect you to repay that money by playing even if not fully fit etc.

I have said before I have no problems with the older established players going to maybe cash in on their reputation before its to late.

What would worry me is if the like sof Lydiate, Davies, Cuthbert etc started goin at this stage of their carears
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:57 am

Yes I agree Bedford.

The reason I posted this was that I thought it was a genuinely interesting and positive reason to stay put.

Rather than the other stories which are mainly on why players have decided to leave for more cash, something no one can control.

It will be interesting to see whether the WRU do try the suggested dual contract concept. Or whether they don't need too?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:33 am

maes - It is good to see people like Lydiate and Davies not only staying in Wales, but they do seem to be genuinely loyal to their region.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:39 am

Good interview, I enjoyed reading it. But as for French clubs 'treating players like lumps of meat', I'm not too sure I agree with this at all. I think the resurrection of Steve Thompson's and Wilkinson's career are testament to the quality of the French clubs' doctors and physios.

Last edited by bluestonevedder on Thu 16 Aug 2012, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:40 am

Excellent attitude from Lydiate also by the way, and it's refreshing to see young players so commited to their clubs.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

I think the key thing is he said, "for the time being" twice in two sentences. I guess he's weighing up his options and seeing how things go.

He's a decent player so I'm sure offers will come in when he feels he wants a step up.

Completely disagree with his dig about players going 'abroad' being treated like lumps of meat. Odd thing to say, unless he just likes the gentle training sessions at the Dragons.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Aug 2012, 10:28 am

sNs - I guess then you've been nursed back from a brocken neck by a region then you tend to see people struggling to recover from minor injuries whilst playing in France and assume it is the number of games, and lack of care for their well being that is the issue.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 16 Aug 2012, 10:55 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:sNs - I guess then you've been nursed back from a brocken neck by a region then you tend to see people struggling to recover from minor injuries whilst playing in France and assume it is the number of games, and lack of care for their well being that is the issue.
I see what you mean, but I think all clubs/regions look after their players given that they are their most important asset. I don't see French clubs as being any less concerned about player welfare than others. Indeed, as someone mentioned above, the large squad sizes in France means squad rotation is fairly common.

However, I do concede that a Welsh player in Wales may get nursed back slightly more gently (especially an international) because of the regions' connections with the WRU.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 16 Aug 2012, 11:57 am

Did Lydiate actually get any offers from any French clubs?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Aug 2012, 11:59 am

Casartelli wrote:Did Lydiate actually get any offers from any French clubs?

Are you implying that Mr Lydiate is posturing, and has only not left because the chance didn't arise?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

Want-Away Star in 'Come And Get Me' Plea To French Rugby

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:02 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:sNs - I guess then you've been nursed back from a brocken neck by a region then you tend to see people struggling to recover from minor injuries whilst playing in France and assume it is the number of games, and lack of care for their well being that is the issue.
I see what you mean, but I think all clubs/regions look after their players given that they are their most important asset. I don't see French clubs as being any less concerned about player welfare than others. Indeed, as someone mentioned above, the large squad sizes in France means squad rotation is fairly common.

However, I do concede that a Welsh player in Wales may get nursed back slightly more gently (especially an international) because of the regions' connections with the WRU.

I am not too sure that makes too much difference. The Scarlets have seen the likes of Morgan Stoddart and George North start to become international only players as they get injured playing for Wales, recover and get in the Welsh Squad and then get injured and start the cycle off all over again. However, I do think that maybe the players who have only been at one region/club think that things are good there as they lack the experience of other systems etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:06 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Are you implying that Mr Lydiate is posturing, and has only not left because the chance didn't arise?

Not necessarily! I like Lydiate. He's become a genuine world class 6 and is the Dragons best player by a mile, but I'm curious as to why he's been quoted on this, when it's not clear if he'd actually had any offers??? He's a brutal tackler, but doesn't carry the ball much and by French league standards is very slow, so were they even interested in him??? And the 'lumps of meat' quote is odd, as pointed out by other posters.

Now - "Dan turns down 1m euro offer from Toulon to stay in the 'port" would have been a news story......

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:09 pm

Lydiate carries a far bit, and does the thankless carries, the ones where he may lose a yard but gets the ball to a position to be recycled. He also does a heap of work in the breakdown. IMO very much similar to Daf Jones, and I do believe that he would fit in with the French style of play. And he would most likely fit into most Jeff sides too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Lydiate carries a far bit, and does the thankless carries, the ones where he may lose a yard but gets the ball to a position to be recycled. He also does a heap of work in the breakdown. IMO very much similar to Daf Jones, and I do believe that he would fit in with the French style of play. And he would most likely fit into most Jeff sides too.

But did he get any offers? From either France or England?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:20 pm

I'm fairly sure it was reported that foreign signings in France were over played and expected to earn their keep by playing when not fully fit.

Can't remember the actual context but it stood out at the time.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:21 pm

I guess you'll have to ask him, or his agent. Also remember that sometime lack of offers does not mean that you are not wanted, but your are thought of to be too expensive, or unlikely to want to leave where you are etc. For example I believe North did not recieve any realistic offers when he renewed his contract.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:26 pm

It was reported that Toulouse and others made offers annoy he wants to see out this contract. He could play for any side in europe. To say he's slow is a joke, he's quick out the blocks in defence and works very hard. His ball carrying is underrated, he does make the hard yards.

As a dragons season ticket holder I'm going to enjoy watching him and Toby this season but I don't think they should stay. Top players need to be challenging to win the HC etc.. We can't even qualify.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:31 pm

youngguns - thats a bit harsh. top players should be pushing to win the HEC, although look at some of the talent that is in the Amlin. I think that he and Toby should stay, there are other good players at hte Dragons too, and to be fair if they can get something going up front then you may well make the HEC next season. After all the Scarlets have yet to announce if they have a pack for next season, the Blues and Ospreys have lost a number of key players and have new (or new ish) coahces. It is all up in the air this season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:33 pm

You may be right, I just don't see what the story is here, other than "the benefits of not going abroad, regardless of whether or not anyone wants me to..."

On the 'lumps of meat' quote - Joe Van Niekerk, a fairly decent backrower who, prior to going to France, had spent as much time in South African physio rooms as he had on the pitch, said he loved playing there and had received the best medical support of his career. Although maybe he was just sucking up to Toulon as nobody else had offered him a contract either.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:35 pm

I guess you never slag off your bosses, unless you have something else lined up even if they are crap.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 16 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm

Next big headline on here - "Casartelli explains the benefits of not taking the big money from Planet Rugby and Rugby World to continue being witty on 606v2..."

It's all about the love of the craft.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 16 Aug 2012, 6:39 pm

Lydiate was nothing but complementary about the French medical staff after he did his neck so I doubt he's saying that. And yes he was made an offer from Racing Metro at least that I know of. Let's face it if they'll take Huw Bennet they'll take anyone.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 16 Aug 2012, 6:41 pm

Casartelli wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Not necessarily! I like Lydiate. He's become a genuine world class 6 and is the Dragons best player by a mile, but I'm curious as to why he's been quoted on this, when it's not clear if he'd actually had any offers??? He's a brutal tackler, but doesn't carry the ball much and by French league standards is very slow, so were they even interested in him??? And the 'lumps of meat' quote is odd, as pointed out by other posters.

Now - "Dan turns down 1m euro offer from Toulon to stay in the 'port" would have been a news story......
You've changed your tune
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 16 Aug 2012, 11:31 pm

Dan is unlikely to leave for France as he works on the family farm with his parents and brother. He is a smart guy and knows rugby is a short career hence he will be in a better position than most Welsh players when his rugby days are over. I suspect he will leave for a more ambitious club when his contract is up to play in the HC.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:28 am

Alun, I nearly found myself agreeing with your post, but you had to have your usual pop. I'm pretty sure the Dragons don't settle for the Amlin. Will he move to another region? Yeah probably, but then again does he have to for a while? One performance in the Amlin was enough for Shanksy to make the squad again.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 17 Aug 2012, 9:17 am

Rev,

I have said all along that I think the Amlin is our correct level BUT I have also said is that in itself brings its own down falls in that will players like Lydiate, Faletau and the like finally realise that they have to play in the HC to guarantee future success etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 17 Aug 2012, 2:54 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Alun, I nearly found myself agreeing with your post, but you had to have your usual pop. I'm pretty sure the Dragons don't settle for the Amlin. Will he move to another region? Yeah probably, but then again does he have to for a while? One performance in the Amlin was enough for Shanksy to make the squad again.

Risca:

I will take that as a complement, you say I had a pop and then agree with my comment. If Dan is and stays in the Welsh set up he may not need to move but he can get flogged at the Dragons like the second rows last year. The Dragons are lucky they have strenght in depth in the back row but it is the Welsh set up that plays injured player like Dan and others last year.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Aug 2012, 3:48 pm

I didn't agree with your pop about settling for the Amlin. Nobody would settle for the Amlin as a professional team.

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 17 Aug 2012, 5:50 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I didn't agree with your pop about settling for the Amlin. Nobody would settle for the Amlin as a professional team.

I did not say the Dragons settled for the Amlin but do you think the Dragons will play in the HC over the next few years and if they do, what are your expections? I suspect most players want to play at the top level like Dan unless you are M Phillips where money appears to be his motivation (Scarlets, Blues, Ospreys, a struggling French team, where next?).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down