The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is This Federer's Best Ever Season?

+16
prostaff85
laverfan
The Special Juan
Tennisanorak
socal1976
bogbrush
reckoner
Henman Bill
HM Murdock
luciusmann
erictheblueuk
time please
Josiah Maiestas
dummy_half
sirfredperry
barrystar
20 posters

Go down

Is This Federer's Best Ever Season? Empty Is This Federer's Best Ever Season?

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:13 pm

Some when reading the title of this article will think what on earth are you on about LK?

Hear me out though. For me this season rings much better than his 3 seasons of 3 Slams or 2009 when he completed the Career Grand Slam. This year for me is much more significant. Reaching number 1 again. Winning titles on all 3 surfaces. Achieving a record 7th Wimbledon crown and also securing a Silver Medal at the Olympics. All at the grand age of 30. His win percentage this year is 89%. The highest it has been since 2006. Also the manner in which he has done it too. Not only has he managed to find the magic of his baseline game, but also the serving and the net play has been exquisite. 6 titles and 2 runner up finishes. 2 Grand Slam semi's. He might not have the haul of years gone past, but for me how he has managed what he has this season is the more remarkable. The style of his play. In his matches it seems like the victories have been more hard earned and also requiring more winners to be hit. In yesteryear a lot of players seemed defeated before they had set foot on court and tended to fold after the first set of a match with the great man. The whole quality over quantity is never more evident than it is now. Yes some might argue that Nadal has not been fit or that Djokovic has been woefully out of form and yes taking this factors into account has not taken any gloss off his victories.

I think watching Wimbledon will live long the memory. How a player managed to win a Slam with his most effective shot of the tournament being something as subtle as a BH Slice on the return of serve is truly stunning. In age when many agree that flat hard shots or simply outlasting the opponent on the baseline is the only recipe to success can now look at Wimbledon 2012 and think how did he manage it? For me the depth on the slice was something to behold and more importantly the height of it too as they seemed to keep so low and take the power element right out of the game. Almost returning tennis to it's purest form. Having to negotiate a rally on touch is something that had the players baffled. It was quite brilliant watching other players trying to workout a way to counter the slice. For me Roger has re-invented that shot. Some players may now look at the slice as an important part of their arsenal. Strangely watching Djokovic use it this week at Cinncy and actually not look off balance when playing it. It is quite evident that it works for better on HC for Djokovic than it does on Grass.

2012 there was clearly an opportunity. Nadal struggling physically. Djokovic struggling mentally. Federer seemingly too old for another run at the top. Murray, Del Potro, Raonic, Tsonga, Berdych. There was a chance for them to really mount a serious challenge and actually be in contention. They say you can't teach an old dog news tricks. Well Federer certainly brought his magic set to table and for me has had quite an unbelivable season. For me the best.

Back to top Go down

Is This Federer's Best Ever Season? Empty Re: Is This Federer's Best Ever Season?

Post by barrystar Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:37 pm

I have asked myself a similar question.

We'll probably have to see the year out for comparisons with 2004-2007, but for me whatever may happen from now the greatness of 2012 is that it is the year that has cemented Federer as beyond any doubt the greatest Open Era player, and for those confident enough to make wider comparisons the GOAT.

He has buried weak era suggestions forever, as well as any argument that he is mentally suspect. Many of us marvelled at Nadal's ability to change his game to win on grass then HC - Fed's ability to change his game to be able to turn back the clock and win in his 30's is a similar feat. I also agree that the style and inventiveness of his tennis is a joy - slice as a weapon to cut through the marathon grinds is lovely to see.

I thought Sampras's swansong of USO 2002 could not be matched - how wrong I was.

You might say with more confidence at this stage that this year has been Paul Annacone's finest achievement as a coach.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Is This Federer's Best Ever Season? Empty Re: Is This Federer's Best Ever Season?

Post by sirfredperry Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

LKV2 - nice article. Yes, Rafa has not been fit/around and yes, Nole is not as dominant as last year. But I would agree that it's been a mighty year for Fed.
He's managed to battle it out and win matches that he would have lost in the past. There have been a number of tight three-setters that he has come through as well as some wins when he was not at his best.
Icing on the cake would have been a GS victory over Rafa which aint going to happen this year now, alas. But given the fact that Nole and Murray are much better now than they were in Fed's 06-7 pomp, you could make a case for saying that this is Rog's best season. Chuck in his advancing years and the case becomes even more compelling.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:40 pm

Don't think I'd say 'best', but maybe when Fed looks back on it after retirement, it might rank highly in 'most satisfying'.

This much success including a Slam and returning to the #1 ranking based on form and performance (i.e. not because of someone being absent injured) at 30-31 years old must be more than he realistically expected when a year ago Djokovic looked borderline unbeatable.

A valid point that in his prime, most players went on court against Federer just looking to win a few games, whereas now several players have a serious shot at beating him - it's harder to win matches, so to be winning nearly 90% of them is an extremely good performance.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

I agree with your post entirely barry. I think Annacone deserves enormous credit for confidence he has put back into Federer and his game. I think I will remember 2012 as his finest year. I think past years you could argue the field were not up to scratch to match his tennis and as time as gone on players like Nadal, Djokovic, Murray have improved and for Federer at those times in those years of 2004-07 it was nigh on impossible for Federer to improve.

Wimbledon was stunning. Yes I was gutted to see Murray lose another Slam final, but I think the tennis that Federer dished up warranted that title alone. I just marvel at the slice because of the execution and control he demonstrates. I think his 7th title at Wimbledon was won on pure touch alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

Looking at the stas these are the matches Fed held on to, or pulled out of the fire, this year which in the period 08-11 he might well have lost:
1. Davydenko at Rotterdam (won in three)
2. JMPD at Dubai (kept it to two sets with incredible tiebreak comeback)
3. Raonic and Belucci at IW - tight three-setters
4. Raonic and the final with Berdych at Madrid (two more that could have gone either way)
5. del Po at the French - two sets down and a recovery against, an admittedly, injured player
6. Bennetteau and Malisse at Wimbledon
7. Del Po in Olympic semi
8. Fish at Cinci

Now you could argue that he would never have been in trouble in these matches when in his pomp. But all these battling wins have contributed to his being number one again.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:03 pm

He can still get to 20 slams, unless Murray or Djokovic find their highest gears it is still in his sight, Raonic, Berdych, Tsonga, Delpo are still lacking when it comes to converting break points, Tsonga has improved but is still too aggressive in the later moments. Federers enemy is only himself.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:30 pm

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find Tenez's thread when he claimed about 18 months ago that Federer was playing better than ever to the general bemusement of all! It seems quite prophetic now.

I think the manner of some of his victories this year and the fact that he has 'kept the faith' while all around him doubted, actually means that.....yeah, it might very well turn out to be so.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

His season is not over yet!
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:33 pm

2012 best ever season - nonsense.

Yes everyone thought 2012 was one of his best ever seasons, but the best ever season occurred the following year where he completed the first ever grand slam of the modern era and completed the first ever season without losing a match or dropping a set.

Nadal never returned to full competitiveness after his double knee transplant and it was such a shame that Djokovic got trapped in his egg chamber just before the start of the clay season. Andy Murray just couldn't take it anymore and grabbed at the chance when he was offered a place in the new Rangers side by Ally McCoist. The joy when he scored the winning goal against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final at the end of the season was plain for all to see, and he said afterwards that it was all worth it in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:44 pm

Erm that is the first impression I have when reading that post NS.

Then I read it again....

Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:48 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:He can still get to 20 slams, unless Murray or Djokovic find their highest gears it is still in his sight, Raonic, Berdych, Tsonga, Delpo are still lacking when it comes to converting break points, Tsonga has improved but is still too aggressive in the later moments. Federers enemy is only himself.

Nice article: this year has a lot in common with the other high achieving years Fed had back in his pomp from 2004-2007, from the win percentage to the number of titles won so far. Remarkably, because Fed has been winning so much, he's played 63 matches already, compared with 76 last year, and after the USO, there's a good chance he'll probably only be 6 matches behind what he played last year and that's with Basel, Paris & WTF still to play, so he could end up playing around 85 matches and the last time he played as many or more was also back in 2006. It could be higher if he chooses to play Shanghai! It's remarkable that back during his pomp he played over 80 matches 4 years in a row (2003-06) and yet he could do the same at 31.

It is possible Fed could get to 20 slams JM, I'd say a lot depends on the USO this year, if he can get to 18, then it's easily conceivable he could win one next year and another the year after (2014) if he's still playing but I find it hard for him to get to 20 if he misses out @ the USO in a few weeks. I think most, if not all Fed fans want him to hit that magical number of 20, a record which I think most of us feel will stand the test of time. Realistically though, I don't think many of us consider that he can seriously win RG (Nadal's main slam) or the Aussie Open (Djokovic's main slam) so that means there's only Wimbledon or the USO where he can gain and if he wins @ the USO in under 3 weeks time, then he just needs to win one each at either, which is doable, but if he doesn't, then Fed could be on 19 and still be chasing 20 in 2014 at the ripe age of 33 (quite hard to imagine)!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:09 pm

luciusmann wrote:... I think most, if not all Fed fans want him to hit that magical number of 20 ...
I think 77 is a more magical number, although my mate a few blocks down prefers 15 and is pretty peeved with Federer for "destroying" the magic (for him). It's a strange world but would we want it otherwise?

Last edited by Nore Staat on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:11 pm

L'man. After the GS dry up for Fed following the AO in 2010, I always thought that the best chance of another Rog Slam was at Wimbledon or the USO.
I didn't think another was impossible and reckoned he could do it even if he wasn't number one or playing that great. So I would think he might manage at least one more, especially as a) Rafa aint around and b) the seeding could help him.
Alas we shall never know if this recent terrific run (albeit started when the top four were all around) would have led to his beating Rafa at Wimbledon or the USO this year. This is one reason why it would be good if Nadal returns soon so we can have some more magic match-ups.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:20 pm

It is possible Fed could get to 20 slams JM, I'd say a lot depends on the USO this year, if he can get to 18, then it's easily conceivable he could win one next year and another the year after (2014) if he's still playing but I find it hard for him to get to 20 if he misses out @ the USO in a few weeks. I think most, if not all Fed fans want him to hit that magical number of 20, a record which I think most of us feel will stand the test of time. Realistically though, I don't think many of us consider that he can seriously win RG (Nadal's main slam) or the Aussie Open (Djokovic's main slam) so that means there's only Wimbledon or the USO where he can gain and if he wins @ the USO in under 3 weeks time, then he just needs to win one each at either, which is doable, but if he doesn't, then Fed could be on 19 and still be chasing 20 in 2014 at the ripe age of 33 (quite hard to imagine)!

I think for Fed to realistically win that many would require a Nadal like slump in form and fitness for Djokovic and Murray next year and beyond. Not that I am wishing that. I think Federer took everyone by surprise this year and has caught the field cold with his devestating form. He isn't as invincible as he was back in 05-06, but the thing is I feel is that with this brand of tennis Federer is playing it is going to take more than an increase of fitness and strength by the rest of the field. It is going to require these players to put more emphasis on shot making than plays developing via passive baseline rallies.

I think it depends on the timescales that these players change their tactics slightly to a more aggressive play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:21 pm

Annacone is a great coach for Federer, you can tell Federer wants to impress his coach, much like when Roche were his coach. Imagine just how many slams he could have if he got Annacone in sooner? Foams the mouth it does.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:28 pm

It surely must be the season where he has most exceded expectations.

2004-2007 was amazing but he was the #1 player, in his mid 20s with rivals who could not produce sustained victories against him. Brilliant results were very much on the cards.

Rewind 12 months though and we have a 30 year old player, ranked #3, holding no slams and with two rivals beating him more often than he beat them.

Who saw this level of success coming?!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:35 pm

I can see the argument but it's a bit short sighted, forgetting his poor (ish) performances at Rome, French Open and Australian Open against major rivals. And we have to wait for the end of the season as well. This could go downhill yet!

I don't think he's played that much better than in 2009-2011, I just think Nadal and Djokovic have got down a bit. I actually think with Federer 2012 vs Nadal 2011 vs Djokovic 2011 he would be ranked 2nd or 3rd.

For me 2006 was the best year due to 3 slams and the win/loss record being highest both for the season and in slams, 4 masters plus the year end masters unbeaten, plus over 90 match wins. Yes the opposition was weaker but was it enough to account for those much superior stats? Tricky to say but I'll go 2006.

This is probably the year where he confirms he is the best player of this era though. You can't see Djokovic and Nadal catching his slam record, and Djokovic is actually struggling now to overhaul Federer in head to head before Federer retires despite the favourable age comparison.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 20 Aug 2012, 4:04 pm

Nice article lk. I'd agree with the spirit of the article and say 2012 is shaping up to be one of the most impressive seasons that Federer has had. To get back up to #1 at his age takes some doing. Let's hope the form continues at the USO...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 4:19 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:It surely must be the season where he has most exceded expectations. ...
Star quote of the week. That's exactly what it is OK

Slam champion plus breaks Sampras being at No 1 record.

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Mon 20 Aug 2012, 5:24 pm

It's difficult to say this season is his best, although it is certainly one of his better ones when you look at it in context. The main year many would consider his best is 2006 where he made 16 finals and only lost to Nadal when he reached those finals but despite that, he achieved 4 Masters 1000 titles, 3 slams and picked up the WTF. That season ended with 12 titles (his best) with almost 100 matches played, winning 95% of the time and losing early in just one tournament @ Cinci in R2, to a certain Andy Murray. However, as was clear then, he was losing matches to players who would become his main rivals. If you combine the matches Nadal, Djokovic and Murray played with Federer in 2006 (9) and look at the H2H, you come up with Fed 4-5 (Nadal, Djokovic & Murray). So even in 2006, he had a losing H2H against them. Compare that to this year so far? 9 matches played, Fed leads 5-4. So strangely, despite Fed dominating so much in 2006, he actually beat his main rivals less than this year, which, if you think about it, is remarkable. When you put things in that context, his loses in the Aussie Open, Rome & RG were tough, but don't change the trajectory of his overall performance since the USO last year.

If he clinches the USO, I would say this year ranks as better than 2009 and probably ranks second only to 2006 because there's a fair chance he would probably finish this year with 8 or 9 titles (Basel & perhaps WTF) and thus this year would have far more in common with 2006 (even if he's made less finals and won less titles) than with any of the years between 2007-09. When you think that if he does achieve that, he's done it at 31, well that is astonishing! It is true that Nadal is injured now but that's only affected the Olympics & the USO, Nadal wasn't a serious contender for Canada or Cinci. So Fed's achievements can't be downplayed because Nadal hasn't been around (he has most of the time) and Djokovic has been too, the fact Djokovic hasn't been at the same level as last year is not surprising, it's not as if Djokovic had a track record of sustaining that kind of amazing form year on year.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 20 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm

Not the best, but it feels a bit that way because it's so surprising.

Sometimes you feel like you should pinch yourself, no?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 5:40 pm

I say considering his age it is his best season ever. Although he is a very young and spry 31 and it seems that the prime of tennis players is getting ever so slightly older and older in recent years. I think it is clearly the season I have been most impressed with fed since 04. After 04 I rated him to be a player at the highest levels so I found 05,06, 07 was completely expected. This season 5 years later is all the more impressive.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tennisanorak Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:33 pm

Not at all. It's a wonderful, glorious season, and probably one that has brought a lot of joy to his fans, but I would definitely not put it as the best.

Try this simple test. Remove any of the years from 2004- 2007 from his resume, or remove this one. Which leaves his resume richer? I'd say it's removing this one, so this can't really be his greatest year.

I think this year appears richer because it's stacked atop those years and is a thrilling climax to a wondrous career. It's entirely another thing to compare this to the main act itself!

Tennisanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:39 pm

It depends what you define as "best". Do you define "best" as winning the all those titles and being number 1 in a year when he was in his absolute prime or do you define "best" as winning all those titles and being number 1 in a year where he has more years behind him than ahead against arguably better players?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:50 pm

How about this test.

Is the competition in 2012 less difficult than 2004-2007?

Also was the brand of tennis he facing more brutal in 2004-07 compared with 2012?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:53 pm

I want him to have a crack at Lendl's 94 and then Connors' 109. 20 slams, as he himself has stated, is doable in his own words.

However, despite his recent form, Federer said that winning 20 majors is a realistic aim. "I believe that having won three Grand Slams per season three times, and two per year a couple of times, it's something doable for me," he said. "I only play 16-20 tournaments per year, so I'm not overplaying, and that keeps the fire burning."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/federer-targets-20-grand-slam-titles-before-retirement-2051139.html

legendkillarV2 wrote:How about this test.

Also was the brand of tennis he facing more brutal in 2004-07 compared with 2012?

You opened the Pandorica again with the Wee Keira side.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:55 pm

You are opening a can of worms with that one Legend, i think the competition is tougher now. Although I will say this Nadal going down and being Fed's biggest nemesis in slams helps him immeasurably. Still I think this is his best season more so because it is 3-5 years after what people say is his prime.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:59 pm

I think you are right TA - but when the dust has settled I think this year will be extremely important for his legacy.

If you listen to Annacone it seems that they are both sure that there's more to come.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:32 pm

laverfan wrote:I want him to have a crack at Lendl's 94 and then Connors' 109. 20 slams, as he himself has stated, is doable in his own words.

However, despite his recent form, Federer said that winning 20 majors is a realistic aim. "I believe that having won three Grand Slams per season three times, and two per year a couple of times, it's something doable for me," he said. "I only play 16-20 tournaments per year, so I'm not overplaying, and that keeps the fire burning."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/federer-targets-20-grand-slam-titles-before-retirement-2051139.html

legendkillarV2 wrote:How about this test.

You opened the Pandorica again with the Wee Keira side.

I haven't, entirely. I am more interested in the 'brand' of tennis purely because posters over the years have often likened the physical and brutality of lung bursting tennis has become Federer's achilles heel and if anything I think his accomplishments in 2012 on a quality basis exceed that of 2004-07. I think people get too carried away with stats,

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:30 pm

Federer has played 13 tournaments so far this year: 6x winner, 2x finalist (both matches on grass!), 4x semi-finalist and only 1 early loss (in Miami to Roddick).

2011 was his first year without a Slam (since 2003), and he only captured a Masters 1000 title at the very last moment in Paris. Nice turnaround!

prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:37 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I haven't, entirely. I am more interested in the 'brand' of tennis purely because posters over the years have often likened the physical and brutality of lung bursting tennis has become Federer's achilles heel and if anything I think his accomplishments in 2012 on a quality basis exceed that of 2004-07. I think people get too carried away with stats,

Federer has also benefitted from physicality of the game. The Tipsy AO 2008, Berdych AO 2009, Falla W 2010, Davydenko (AO 2006 and 2010) wins are examples.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:... I think people get too carried away with stats,
Indeed, 6.7 out of ten people are sympathetic to this view.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:52 pm

laverfan wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I haven't, entirely. I am more interested in the 'brand' of tennis purely because posters over the years have often likened the physical and brutality of lung bursting tennis has become Federer's achilles heel and if anything I think his accomplishments in 2012 on a quality basis exceed that of 2004-07. I think people get too carried away with stats,

Federer has also benefitted from physicality of the game. The Tipsy AO 2008, Berdych AO 2009, Falla W 2010, Davydenko (AO 2006 and 2010) wins are examples.

Not sure I would throw the Falla victory in. That was more nerve than tiredness. Think of the matches he has lost through physicality. Murray Shanghai 2008, Tsonga Wimbledon 2011, Djokovic US Open 2010. Matches in which the pace of game intensified as the matches went on.

I maintain that despite Federer being fit enough to compete in 5 setters, his pace around the court is not in the same bracket as your Nadals, Djokovics or Murrays.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 21 Aug 2012, 2:48 pm

Certain things might overhaul pure stats, e.g. if he had taken no 1 by raising the bar instead of the opponents dropping, or if he had beaten Nadal at the FO and gone on to win it, but to me it would take something really special like that.

Although if he were to win the US Open and world tour finals, that would be getting close.

Th

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 21 Aug 2012, 2:49 pm

e three other top four opponents he has to face now are at a whole other level to 2006. Or at least 2 of them are.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 21 Aug 2012, 2:53 pm

Well Nadal is injured.
Djokovic is totally out of form, and looks mentally out.
Murray doesn't (yet) have the belief in Slams.

Hence the path is clear for Federer. I don't know whether it's his best ever season or not.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 21 Aug 2012, 2:57 pm

I don't think Federer is playing his best ever tennis but he certainly looks very happy.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 21 Aug 2012, 3:20 pm

IMBL - Not sure that Djoko is "totally out of form". In all, he's having a good season and could well end up the year-end number one. Alas we'll never know if Rog could have overcome Rafa at Wimbledon or the USO this year.
Murray played great for a set and a half in the first of the Wimbledon finals this year and was very good for all three sets in the Olympics final.
IMHO, even without Rafa, Fed is up against better opponents than in 04-07.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 21 Aug 2012, 5:05 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Well Nadal is injured.
Djokovic is totally out of form, and looks mentally out.
Murray doesn't (yet) have the belief in Slams.

Hence the path is clear for Federer. I don't know whether it's his best ever season or not.

There is a bit of truth in this for sure. Novak is not all there that to me is clear from that first set, it was a bizarre performance for a guy who has played 5 years in the top 3 to play a first set like that. I think I could have won a game or two off of him. And Nadal is fed's boogeyman at the slams so the path does seem to be clearing up for Federer. Hopefully, Novak can find some consistency and real make this a fight for year end #1, but that final in Cincy was so strange.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 21 Aug 2012, 8:44 pm

I don't think its Feds best season. As others have said where us the charge from others this year? Nadal was in and out til RG then out. Novak seems to be lacking self belief since those 3 losses in a row to Rafa, Murray as usual is great in Masters or other big events outside slams...ok he did well at Wimb but Rafa and Novak seemed AWOL there. And where is Berdych, Tsonga? Then who are serious challengers outside there? I don't see any...Ferrer is ok on clay but never goes really deep or threatening on HC. I mean he's not even really being challenged - so yes I do believe Fed is playing very well but it doesn't feel like he's playing in a full house to me at all, something feels awry with the tour in general apart from him winning.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 23 Aug 2012, 6:18 pm

I think it could go down as his most important season, but I think 2005 and 06 were just out of this world.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 24 Aug 2012, 8:31 am

lydian wrote:I don't think its Feds best season. As others have said where us the charge from others this year? Nadal was in and out til RG then out. Novak seems to be lacking self belief since those 3 losses in a row to Rafa, Murray as usual is great in Masters or other big events outside slams...ok he did well at Wimb but Rafa and Novak seemed AWOL there. And where is Berdych, Tsonga? Then who are serious challengers outside there? I don't see any...Ferrer is ok on clay but never goes really deep or threatening on HC. I mean he's not even really being challenged - so yes I do believe Fed is playing very well but it doesn't feel like he's playing in a full house to me at all, something feels awry with the tour in general apart from him winning.

I think those are fair points Lydian. Nadal's absence in the early part of the year and his beating at Wimbledon have almost certainly had an influence. Of course Fed did beat Nadal (unexpectedly) at Indian Wells in very blustery conditions, so maybe it is a case of one finding their form and the other not - the same argument as above could be made for Nadal's 2010 where Novak was totally out of sorts until the US, Murray struggled with loss of confidence badly after the AO, Fed had a lung infection in the early Spring and Tsonga had been destroyed by Fed at the AO - only Berdych showed some attacking play during the FO and W but was totally outclassed and outgunned in the final at SW19.

Actually this year has seen all four of the top seeds hit form at different times - which is why it has been one of the most interesting for a few years for many tennis watchers.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down