The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's a quarterback (carousel) league - AFC

2 posters

Go down

It's a quarterback (carousel) league - AFC  Empty It's a quarterback (carousel) league - AFC

Post by CFCNick Thu 23 Aug 2012, 9:40 pm

This article (silly calling this a thread, a thread requires discussion and this cold hard facts) is all about the many QB changes in the NFL since 1999 and why it’s sometimes a bad idea, and also how teams have fared in their endeavours for greatness.

Right before we get started I will answer the question that immediately springs to mind, MJ, why since 99? To which the answer is that 1999 was a huge year for change in this great league we follow.

The Bengals and Seahawks played their last seasons at Riverfront and the Kingdome, the Oilers left Memphis for Nashville and became the Titans, the Browns came back, it was the last season of Michael Irvin's, Dan Marino's and Steve Young's careers, the first season without John Elway, the last season before Belichick took over the Patriots, the first season of Andy Reid in Philly, the last time the Jags and Redskins won division titles, Kurt Warner emerged from nothing, Peyton Manning had his first 10+ win season, the Bills would lose the last three of their AFC dynasty players (Bruce Smith, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas), and the Bills would also never see playoff football again.

Hope that answers why 1999.

There have been, not including the six new starters announced for the 2012 season, 339 changes of starting quarterbacks since week 1 of 1999, 155 in the AFC and 184 in the NFC. The Packers and Patriots have the fewest with 3 each and the Giants are next with 4, whilst the Dolphins have the most with 17 closely followed by the Bears with 17.

I’m taking a look into each teams regular season record each season and overall, and will then average them out between each QB who has started at least one game over the past 13 seasons and hopefully uncover why changing QBs isn’t always the necessary reaction to a bad season.

This is also for educational purposes so that new posters/fans can see what teams have been like for the last decade or so.

First up is the AFC East

Spoiler:

AFC North

Spoiler:

AFC South

Spoiler:

AFC West

Spoiler:

Will put up the NFC over the weekend.

Last edited by MockingJay33 on Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

It's a quarterback (carousel) league - AFC  Empty Re: It's a quarterback (carousel) league - AFC

Post by Thomond Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:01 pm

Interesting read, there's very few teams who hold onto QBs for very long, and the bust ratio is very high. Pats would be low enough without Brady I think but they kind of lucked into that. Broncos surprisingly solid. A lot of guys bounce around the league for a while and get a few starts or games.

I'm thinking Gradkowski, McCown, Collins, Delhomme in latter years. Teams would prefer to play a vet who is average than take a chance on a 3rd 4th round rookie I'd say.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

It's a quarterback (carousel) league - AFC  Empty Re: It's a quarterback (carousel) league - AFC

Post by CFCNick Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:09 pm

I found it interesting that the teams who have been to the playoffs most years have had the fewest quarterbacks.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:10 pm

I suppose it's not too surprising at the same time, if they get to the playoffs I suppose it's a success so no need to get rid of the QB most of the time.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down