The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Atherton proposes Prior as the next captain

+2
msp83
KP_fan
6 posters

Go down

Mike Atherton proposes Prior as the next captain Empty Mike Atherton proposes Prior as the next captain

Post by KP_fan Sat 25 Aug 2012, 1:09 pm

I also think Prior would be a good choice........never say die, delivers more than expectations...positive aggressive.
and look at Mr. Diplomat Flower's statement.........on Strauss

Atherton talks up Prior's leadership qualities

ESPN staff
August 23, 2012« Rodgers reignites Sturridge interest | Hatton comeback blow as Paulie takes different route »

Former England captain Mike Atherton has given a glowing appraisal of Matt Prior's leadership qualities, amid speculation over the future of current skipper Andrew Strauss.

England coach Andy Flower has suggested that Strauss is free to make a decision on his future in the wake of the Test series defeat to South Africa, which saw the hosts surrender their world No. 1 ranking.
Alaistair Cook is the putative heir whenever Strauss does decide to relinquish the captaincy, but Atherton feels wicketkeeper Prior has emerged as an alternative option. Atherton's assertion focuses particularly on Prior's role in the Kevin Pietersen text-message saga.

Atherton claims Prior rang Pietersen "in the team's best interest" after news of the controversy broke - a move of "maturity, good sense of courage".

"He did it selflessly for the team, much in the same way that he has always batted, putting the team's needs ahead of inflating his average," Atherton wrote in the Times.

Atherton also cites Prior's refusal to shift the blame following his costly drop of Hashim Amla, who was on 2, during the third Test, as well as his gracious acceptance of the decision not to include him for the ODI series.

"There was no attempt to hide behind the difficulty of the catch or the consequences," he said. "Rather it said a great deal about the standards he sets himself and the honesty with which he deals with disappointments.

"There was some expectation that Prior's outstanding form might earn him a way back into England's one-day plans, but instead the selectors kept faith with Craig Kieswetter, so it looks as though Prior's time in one-day cricket has gone.

"His reaction: he said he was 'gutted' but at the same time he was generous towards a Sussex team-mate, Luke Wright, who was given the nod for South Africa."

Prior, 30, has a Test average of 42.61 from 58 matches for England.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/cricket/sport/story/166386.html#74VxZJhEkVFPD7m9.99
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Mike Atherton proposes Prior as the next captain Empty Re: Mike Atherton proposes Prior as the next captain

Post by msp83 Sat 25 Aug 2012, 2:44 pm

I very much doubt England will go that way in the event of Strauss deciding to retire. I don't see Strauss going before the India tour, and when he eventually does, its the ODI captain Alastair Cook who is very much more than likely to take over.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Mike Atherton proposes Prior as the next captain Empty Re: Mike Atherton proposes Prior as the next captain

Post by KP_fan Sat 25 Aug 2012, 2:47 pm

there are only two points i will make:

1) Everyone knows batting will be stromger withour Strauss

2) Flower's comment reading between the lines is saying.....we hope you make up your mind to go and make all our tasks easier.

Cook will be like strauss as a captain......letting flower run it his way...
Prior might be more hands on and active
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 25 Aug 2012, 3:59 pm

People wonder why I have issues with Michael atherton!!

This is ridiculas. Cook is nailed on and also the right man for the job

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 25 Aug 2012, 4:00 pm

If we want a different option we should pick swanny..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:31 pm

Cook doesn't have a personality...a character...an attitude

Last edited by KP_fan on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 25 Aug 2012, 7:00 pm

Swanny for captain? Hmmmm, an interesting option, but I don't think England would go for such a flashy option!. Has he got any previous captaincy experience at any significant level? For me its Cook, and I believe its a fair enough option considering his ODI record not only as captain, but more importantly as a batsman, not much about his figures impressive though they are, but more about the kind of transformation that he brought about to his ODI game.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 25 Aug 2012, 7:06 pm

England's next Test Captain is Cook, that is nailed-on, it is guaranteed.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 25 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

Swann would be an utter disaster as captain, Too arrogant and outspoken.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 25 Aug 2012, 7:59 pm

Being a captain or a manager is about being confident. Its about making decisions on the fly- rightly or wrongly, but commiting with them.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 25 Aug 2012, 8:14 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Being a captain or a manager is about being confident. Its about making decisions on the fly- rightly or wrongly, but commiting with them.

On that basis, I guess you might choose Prince Harry! Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:20 pm

ok first things first you need a decent cricketer in this scenario, then you need a top level one , then you need a regular first team player, then you need the next atributes. It doesnt matter if the captain is outspoken or not, but you need a confident, self assured and quick thinker... sorry if that sounded abit patronizing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:13 pm

In addition to the above, a captain must support and motivate his players when they go through a bad run. Swann is a bit too egoistic for that.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:17 pm

he would support all..He would also at the very least try to motivate. His only problem may be commanding respect from everyone..IMO a much better shout than Prior..

However this is imaterial because cook will rightly take the job as he has proven with a 10 win streak in odi that he can at least handle the role at that level.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:19 pm

However I would still rather swann as our t20 captain over broad!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:22 pm

mystiroakey wrote: However this is imaterial because cook will rightly take the job as he has proven with a 10 win streak in odi that he can at least handle the role at that level.

then why is Prior's name being thrown in by atherton...who is a strong and respecatble voice in english cricket ?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:25 pm

Michael atheron was englands worst ever captain- Maybe thats something people need to understand- he also has had plenty of ex players slate him. He didnt have the respect that was needed in my mind, or the captaining ability. This is in my opinion btw. I dont want to get into any atherton debate.. Maybe he was the best option in a very bad era. But i personally doubt that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down