The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby

+19
RuggerRadge2611
bazalicous
maestegmafia
kiakahaaotearoa
Morgannwg
drsambo1928
Sgt_Pooly
disneychilly
majesticimperialman
nganboy
Otagolad
OzT
anotherworldofpain
sugarNspikes
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
ChequeredJersey
LordDowlais
wales606
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby

Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap30%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 74 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 28 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 8 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 8 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 29 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 12 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 30 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 21 ]
[ 7 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 18 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 4 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 3 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 4 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]
Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 250

Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Empty Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Aug - 22:25

First topic message reminder :

Pick 3...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Empty Re: Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby

Post by disneychilly Wed 29 Aug - 14:24

It's not even entirely defence related too. The loosies have a responsibility to get to the ball runner before he gets to the 10 as often as possible. Because if the ball is turned over, he can decide the best way to take advantage of it. Carter is a fierce tackler-good enough to play 12 in that area too-but often you see him just push players down as they have an AB round the legs already. It also allows them to direct resources on defence.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby - Page 2 Empty Re: Top 3 Scrum-halves in world rugby

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 29 Aug - 14:26

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Can see your point drs but I just don't think it's as simple as targeting Cruden all game, especially against the AB's who generally have the ball anyway!

Well, then, hypothetically you do a Nyanga and smash him. It still hasn't historically worked that well except on a couple of occasions
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Wed 29 Aug - 14:54

Besides without looking like i'm escaping a hole, Carter will be there for awhile longer and this is the scrum half thread.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 29 Aug - 15:00

He will with the time given to him by Smith's pass. To be honest if I were a fan of another rugby nation I'd find it pretty demoralising that Carter and his backline now have even more time to wreak havoc. Would Smith have the best pass in the game at present? It's very early on obviously and the other halves have different strengths he is yet to develop, but on purely passing ability would he be the best?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Aug - 15:04

I don't know disney. The ball zips by too quickly to tell.

Why am I thinking of Muzza? In the slow motion, the ball seems to come out more slowly or words to that effect. thumbsup

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 29 Aug - 15:49

LOL.

Maybe not pass speed, as with a wind up anyone can throw a bullet, but in terms of getting the ball to the 10 with the minimum of fuss and time, I'd say he's right up there. Justin Marshall had the fastest pass in NZ, it's just that he took an eternity to let the ball go.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bazalicous Fri 5 Apr - 19:19

I presume Fourie Du Preez isn't in this list because he's playing in Japan??

1.Will Genia
2.Fourie Du Preez
3.Morgan Parra

Last edited by bazalicous on Fri 5 Apr - 20:03; edited 1 time in total

bazalicous

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 5 Apr - 19:34

Parra, Genia pienaar
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 5 Apr - 19:48

I'd go for Perenara now. Catch him and the sxv debut of Julians brother Ardie Savea tonight at 7 vs the Warratahs tonight. 2 of NZ's latest young guns- Perenara certain to be figuring on these lists in years to come thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri 5 Apr - 20:12

Good lord. More votes for Cusiter than Mike Blair?! Neither should be on that list

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 5 Apr - 20:42

Especially when no ones heard of them thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Fri 5 Apr - 22:31

What an odd poll. It contains Rhys Webb but no Kahn Fotuali'i.

picard

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Fri 5 Apr - 22:33

Pienaar, Fotuali'i, and Genia. Smith and Parra aren't far off those top 3.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 5 Apr - 22:38

mikey_philVIII wrote:What an odd poll. It contains Rhys Webb but no Kahn Fotuali'i.

picard

You might want to check the date at the top of these polls

I made them a year ago when Fotuali had only just started to put in decent performances for the O's and Rhys Webb was Wales' second choice SH, in good form have just usurped Lloyd Williams
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 5 Apr - 22:38

At the moment it is

Genia
Pienaar
Phillips
(then Fotuali and Parra)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Fri 5 Apr - 22:45

wales606 wrote:
mikey_philVIII wrote:What an odd poll. It contains Rhys Webb but no Kahn Fotuali'i.

picard

I made them a year ago when Fotuali had only just started to put in decent performances for the O's and Rhys Webb was Wales' second choice SH, in good form have just usurped Lloyd Williams

Right... So how many caps does Webb have? He and a few others aren't worthy of such a poll (IMO).

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 5 Apr - 23:08

mikey_philVIII wrote:
wales606 wrote:

picard

Right... So how many caps does Webb have? He and a few others aren't worthy of such a poll (IMO).

I included the top 2 SHs from every 6N and 3N country, it's up to you who you vote for - but obviously some people disagreed with you are every candidate has at least 2 votes.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 6 Apr - 7:58

226 votes, not a number divisible by three picard
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 6 Apr - 11:03

I think Aaron Smith has taken a big step back. He seems to lack confidence and his passing has suffered for the Highlanders this year. His pass is his best thing. His decision taking or his box kicking were disappointing and I think in Brisbane he had his worst game. He needs to develop his running game more and his size worries me. I think TJ Perenara inspires more confidence in me as a long term prospect.

Genia has come back from injury so it'll be interesting to see him in a test shirt but he was a class above the rest in my opinion. Pienaar plays in a side whose gameplan doesn't get you noticed but he's certainly no mug. For all of Phillips' critics, I think he does things that no other halfback does in terms of using his strength. France continually messes with their selections but I get the feeling in any other side Parra would be spoken about a lot more.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 6 Apr - 21:43

Perenara is now easily NZ's best 9. I think we all knew he would press for position this year. Smith is struggling behind probably the worst pack in the tournament, not helped by injuries to Nasi Manu and a drop in form by Woodcock and others.

Perenara just oozes confidence on and off the field and is cheeky with it both in his game and his manner. Takes on the opposition and plays the breakdown area with authority, and has a quick enough pass, but the rreal difference between Smith and TJ P is his presence- you just know hes there all the time.

Nothings gonna stop this kid. Havnt seen a more obvious star in the making since...well, the last one.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun 7 Apr - 13:07

Perenara hasn't reached the levels that he reached last year yet I reckon. He was awful the first couple of games this year(as was Barrett) but both are slowly finding their feet.
Last Year Julian Savea looked more an obvious star than Perenara.
I'm still picking Perenara and Barrett to start and retain the world cup for us.
Ardie and Julian Savea, Conrad Smith, Corey Jane and Motu Matu'u would be the other players from the Hurricanes.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 7 Apr - 13:13

Parra and Genia joint at the top, then a gap
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sun 7 Apr - 20:03

For me, Pienaar hasn't really stepped up convincingly to test level. He's been good for the Boks, but not great, and he's going to have to watch himself as their are a couple of promising no. 9's coming through the Super rugby teams

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2