The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v South Africa at Southampton, 2nd ODI

+24
djkbrown2001
Gerry SA
Galted
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ShahenshahG
Shelsey93
liverbnz
Hibbz
Pal Joey
guildfordbat
Liam
Fists of Fury
msp83
KP_fan
JDizzle
Duty281
Biltong
eirebilly
VTR
Mike Selig
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
ShankyCricket
Mad for Chelsea
skyeman
28 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

England v South Africa at Southampton, 2nd ODI - Page 6 Empty England v South Africa at Southampton, 2nd ODI

Post by skyeman Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 6:47

First topic message reminder :

With the wash out at Cardiff, this fixture has no less the importance of that as regards to whoever wins either keeps/gains the number one International ODI team position in the world. Both will give it everything they have.

Likely teams i would think pretty much as the first ODI, ie:

England.
AN Cook, IR Bell, IJL Trott, RS Bopara, EJG Morgan, C Kieswetter†, TT Bresnan, CR Woakes, GP Swann, JM Anderson, ST Finn.

South Africa.
GC Smith, HM Amla, D Elgar, AB de Villiers*†, JP Duminy, F du Plessis, R McLaren, WD Parnell, RJ Peterson, M Morkel, LL Tsotsobe

skyeman

Back to top Go down

England v South Africa at Southampton, 2nd ODI - Page 6 Empty Re: England v South Africa at Southampton, 2nd ODI

Post by Duty281 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:03

145/3 at the 30 over mark would be lovely for England. I'm hoping I can quote this in a few hours time.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England v South Africa at Southampton, 2nd ODI - Page 6 Empty Re: England v South Africa at Southampton, 2nd ODI

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:05

Mike Selig wrote:
AB de Villier, well I'm going to say it, that was disgraceful, but here is a batsman (brilliant player, one of my favourites to watch) who in the past has stood his ground when edging to first slip, so perhaps we shouldn't be that surprised. I actually think he should have walked for that, but I know I'm in the minority on that. And the worse decisions I've seen Taufel (who is a fine fine umpire) make for a long time. However overall it didn't have much of an effect.

That was a very strange moment indeed. I'm not going to lay into AB (although I believe in walking myself), but I thought that that situation cried out for the ability for the square leg or 3rd Umpire to say "I think you've made a shocker there" to Taufel. This should only apply to clear shockers like that one, which was one of the worst decisions I've seen from an elite umpire (let alone Taufel, one of the best), since Daryl Harper was sacked!

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:10; edited 1 time in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:06

Amla is good but he's no Bopara. Bops to come in at 10-2 and smash 203* from 153 balls, winning England the game with 5 overs to spare.

You read it here first!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:07

Linebreaker wrote:Duty, you have no batsman like Amla unfortunately. He's head & shoulders above the rest. Don't worry I'm sure the top 5 will give it their best but it looks like SA will be No.1 in all 3 formats in a few hours..... maybe.

Damn....! (We're next on the get skillfully hammered by Amla list)

Don't put your lot down, win that series and back to No1 Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:07

Linebreaker wrote:Duty, you have no batsman like Amla unfortunately. He's head & shoulders above the rest. Don't worry I'm sure the top 5 will give it their best but it looks like SA will be No.1 in all 3 formats in a few hours..... maybe.

Damn....! (We're next on the get skillfully hammered by Amla list)
Talking about that, Supersport just showed an homage of the test series that took them to number one. Awesome highlights.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:13

Thanks Skye. Your own personal island will be ready for the next Ashes tour here... complete with dancing beach girls Very Happy

Biltong... let's hope for your sake it's a little longer than the last two 'reigns' (not that we use that as a yardstick for the best team) but if you go for more than 74 months I'm not talking to you again. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:15

Linebreaker wrote:Thanks Skye. Your own personal island will be ready for the next Ashes tour here... complete with dancing beach girls Very Happy

Biltong... let's hope for your sake it's a little longer than the last two 'reigns' (not that we use that as a yardstick for the best team) but if you go for more than 74 months I'm not talking to you again. Wink
Then we best get our greetings in mate, will see you on the flipside in 2018.

Not. Sad
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:16

VTR wrote:Amla is good but he's no Bopara. Bops to come in at 10-2 and smash 203* from 153 balls, winning England the game with 5 overs to spare.

You read it here first!

Funniest thing i have heard in ages, i will be happy if he gets 20 odd. Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:16

Shelsey93 wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:
AB de Villier, well I'm going to say it, that was disgraceful, but here is a batsman (brilliant player, one of my favourites to watch) who in the past has stood his ground when edging to first slip, so perhaps we shouldn't be that surprised. I actually think he should have walked for that, but I know I'm in the minority on that. And the worse decisions I've seen Taufel (who is a fine fine umpire) make for a long time. However overall it didn't have much of an effect.

That was a very strange moment indeed. I'm not going to lay into AB (although I believe in walking myself), but I thought that that situation cried out for the ability for the square leg or 3rd Umpire to say "I think you've made a shocker there" to Taufel. This should only apply to clear shockers like that one, which was one of the worst decisions I've seen from an elite umpire (let alone Taufel, one of the best), since Daryl Harper was sacked!

I have no issue with ABDV not walking, I don't walk myself but I do admire people who do, but like someone mentioned earlier the thing that irked me was him tapping his shoulder and trying to pass off that that was the only thing it hit. There is a a difference between letting the umpire make his decisions which is what he is out there for (or at least that is my justification for not being a walker) and deliberately trying to con an umpire which is what AB was trying there. I don't watch him around the globe playing, but he does seem to do these things when he comes to England as I still remember him trying to claim a catch that bounced a foot in front of him on their last tour over here in a Test match. A very fine player, but he could tone down the gamesmanship a lot.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:17

great start Doh

Cook just missing a straight ball.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:18

If only we could get Mitchell Johnson to bowl to him Skye.
He just got hit to Iran.... almost.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:19

skyeman wrote:
VTR wrote:Amla is good but he's no Bopara. Bops to come in at 10-2 and smash 203* from 153 balls, winning England the game with 5 overs to spare.

You read it here first!

Funniest thing i have heard in ages, i will be happy if he gets 20 odd. Very Happy

Well the 10-2 part of my prediction is coming together, its almost scary. Ravi, your immortalisation is near!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:20

Man, you gotto love Woolworths, wife got me some smoked peppered Mackerel, chicken and bacon pasta salad and a shrimp coctail.

Delicious
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:22

Linebreaker wrote:If only we could get Mitchell Johnson to bowl to him Skye.
He just got hit to Iran.... almost.

Even Bops could look like Amla agains Very Happy t MJ

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:22

Biltong wrote:Man, you gotto love Woolworths, wife got me some smoked peppered Mackerel, chicken and bacon pasta salad and a shrimp coctail.

Delicious

No Pick n' Mix?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:22

a slightly surprising move by SA with McLaren opening the bowling rather than Morkel.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:24

No need to panic, Trott is the man for a crisis.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:25

Unusual to see McLaren at poll position on the grid, isn't it?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:25

VTR wrote:
Biltong wrote:Man, you gotto love Woolworths, wife got me some smoked peppered Mackerel, chicken and bacon pasta salad and a shrimp coctail.

Delicious

No Pick n' Mix?
What's pick a mix?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:27

Pietersen last man out for Surrey for 163.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:27

Linebreaker wrote:Unusual to see McLaren at poll position on the grid, isn't it?
laughing

Not sure about his form. Though.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:28

Pakistan pciked up to a decent total so far, I'm struggling with which to watch 155/4 of 33 if anyones interested.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:29

De Villiers shells one! not been a good game for keepers has it? good running from Bell there, haring back for 2.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:29

McLaren bowling close to 140 kph rather than 130. Interesting he's opening the bowling. Morkel has a different role since Steyn, Kallis and may be even Philander aren't playing?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:30

The cheat's dropped one. Karma?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:30

It's killing me Shah.

All those bloody fans spinning around make it even worse! Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:31

Biltong wrote:
VTR wrote:

Delicious

No Pick n' Mix?
What's pick a mix?

I was making reference to the real Woolworths not your cheap imitations Very Happy . They were conveyors of tat and Pick n' Mix, which just means sweets that you pick yourself (after a thousand other people have had their hands in there) and put in a bag. They were a bit of an instituation over here but went bust a few years ago.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:31

Biltong wrote:
VTR wrote:

Delicious

No Pick n' Mix?
What's pick a mix?

A bag of mixed sweets. Woolworths in the UK was (it went bust a couple of years back) a different style of store to what it is in SA (I presume), Aus and NZ. In Australasia it's a major supermarket chain.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:32

Biltong wrote:
VTR wrote:

Delicious

No Pick n' Mix?
What's pick a mix?

It is a sweety selection. Thought Woolies went bust?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:33

Duty281 wrote:The cheat's dropped one. Karma?
I think he was so guilt ridden he wanted to drop it.

Can't you see the regret in his eyes?

Could be because he dropped it though. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:34

skyeman wrote:
Biltong wrote:
VTR wrote:

Delicious

No Pick n' Mix?
What's pick a mix?

Not in SA mate, here they are doing very well, a tad expensive though.

I prefer their savoury stuff, not really a sweet tooth.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:38

Trott may be the man for a crisis but not for a big run chase. sr under 50 so far and probably wont get much higher

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:38

lousy over from Tsotsobe, way too short and Bell cashes in with two fours, the first a beautifully timed back foot punch through point, the second a violent cut shot over the covers.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:39

Duty281 wrote:The cheat's dropped one. Karma?

So one cheat gets dropped by another (lesser cheat). All even then. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:40

Think South Africa should bring Morne on sooner rather than later. Bell's got going and looks in good touch.Biltong, what do you think made AB open the bowling with McLaren and not Morne?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:40

Should be a canter without Steyn and the other Morkle.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:41

woopsie, Amla looking a trifle silly there Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:42

England are really taking the attack to the Saffers here, Bring on Morkel!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:43

msp83 wrote:Think South Africa should bring Morne on sooner rather than later. Bell's got going and looks in good touch.Biltong, what do you think made AB open the bowling with McLaren and not Morne?

He's looking in great touch. On top of the bowling and hitting it sweetly.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:47

skyeman wrote:
Biltong wrote:
VTR wrote:

Delicious

No Pick n' Mix?
What's pick a mix?

From Wiki

*The F. W. Woolworth Company (often referred to as Woolworth's or Woolworth) was a retail company that was one of the original American five-and-dime stores. The first Woolworth store was opened on July 18, 1879, by Frank Winfield Woolworth in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, as "Woolworth's Great Five Cent Store". Despite growing to be one of the largest retail chains in the world through most of the 20th century, increased competition led to its decline beginning in the 1980s. The chain went out of business in July 1997, when the company decided to focus on the Foot Locker division and renamed itself Venator Group. By 2001, the company focused exclusively on the sporting goods market, changing its name to the present Foot Locker Inc.

*Woolworths Group plc originally was the British unit of F.W. Woolworth's, but operated independently as a separate company from 1982, running stores in the UK, Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. On November 26, 2008 Woolworth's Group plc announced that they were in too much debt to maintain their outgoing payments. The remaining British Woolworth's stores closed by January 6, 2009, with the loss of almost 30,000 jobs.

*Woolworths Limited is the largest retail corporation in Australia, operating a variety of supermarket and other retail chains in Australia and New Zealand. The name "Woolworths" was legally taken to capitalize on the F.W. Woolworth name since they did not do business in Australia and had not registered the trademark there but is in no other way connected to the U.S. or U.K. Woolworths.

*Woolworths is an upmarket retail chain in South Africa selling goods of a comparable nature to Marks & Spencer stores in the United Kingdom. The South African company also operates stores in Bahrain, Botswana, Kenya, Lesotho, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

*Woolworth GmbH was the German unit of F.W. Woolworths, but has operated independently since 1998 as a result of the original company's change of focus.

*Woolworth Mexicana operates a chain of small variety stores in Mexico, sold in December 1997 to Control Dinamico S.A. by Foot Locker Inc now is a subsidiary of Grupo Comercial Control, S.A. de C.V.

*Woolworth's operates independently in Bridgetown Barbados, having split from the British branch in 1982. It was established in the 1950s, stocking goods shipped from Britain.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:48

msp83 wrote:Think South Africa should bring Morne on sooner rather than later. Bell's got going and looks in good touch.Biltong, what do you think made AB open the bowling with McLaren and not Morne?
MSP, the only reason I can think of is McLaren's form is questionable and de Villiers may have thought England might start circumpectly and could get a few overs under the belt.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:51

Bell charges Morkel, doesn't get hold of it, but it draws the short ball next up and Bell dispatches that one with ease to the backward square boundary.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:51

Not a bad start but itll take a good effort from the likes of Mogs to win this

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:54

Biltong wrote:
skyeman wrote:
Biltong wrote:
VTR wrote:

Delicious

No Pick n' Mix?
What's pick a mix?

Not in SA mate, here they are doing very well, a tad expensive though.

I prefer their savoury stuff, not really a sweet tooth.

To clarify, Woolworths in SA = M&S in the UK

PS The cheat accusations are getting massively tiresome.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:56

So far, a good rebuilding job done by these 2. Just reached a fifty partnership, Bell the aggressor and Trott the anchor.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 3:58

Biltong wrote:
MSP, the only reason I can think of is McLaren's form is questionable and de Villiers may have thought England might start circumpectly and could get a few overs under the belt.

Not sure that's good think from AB if that is the case. Early wickets would be key to set up the match when defending a total, and I thought Morkel was the best bet. McLaren could have been brought on after a couple of wickets, or after the first powerplay ends. Anyways McLaren didn't go for many, Tsotsobe was more expensive. Would be interesting to see what the SA spinners can come up with. Samit Patel got a few to turn, and Swann bowled well. But South Africa had Amla to deal with a lot of the stuff, has to be seen as to how would Petersen, Duminy and Elgar would come up against Bell and co.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 4:03

Ian Bell after being presented with a rather unexpected opportunity to restart his ODI career has been consistently scoring runs. I wasn't quite convinced with his ability to consistently score quick runs, a couple of his 50s that took a lot of time didn't help and I thought he would be leaving a lot on Cook. But in both the matches so far he has shown a very refreshing attitude. His ability was not much of the issue of concern, but his temprament. But he is evolving well, and at last seems like mentaly free to take on the challenge.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 4:06

Peterson on, and England unfurl the reveres sweep, Bell for three and Trott for four. 63-1, not much turn there.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 4:10

Trott gone, Elgar nearly makes a hash of it by running in but recovers well to take a fine catch. Bops, your time is now.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 4:13

See the difference, England catch like Akmal on payday...SA catch like Collingwood hearing they might be dishing out OBEs

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next