The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graham Swann rested from remaining ODIs

+11
eirebilly
Biltong
Duty281
GSC
KP_fan
JDizzle
Liam
Gerry SA
Mad for Chelsea
skyeman
LondonTiger
15 posters

Go down

Graham Swann rested from remaining ODIs Empty Graham Swann rested from remaining ODIs

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:29 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19413938

He has had this injury a while now, and it has affected his bowling. He was rested earlier in the season to little effect. Worrying signs.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Graham Swann rested from remaining ODIs Empty Re: Graham Swann rested from remaining ODIs

Post by skyeman Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Not much going right for England just now. Still!! Brighter times ahead.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Graham Swann rested from remaining ODIs Empty Re: Graham Swann rested from remaining ODIs

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Of course the conspiracy theory will state that this further facilitates Kevin Pietersens return to the team Very Happy

All they need to do now is drop Bresnan, Anderson, Broad and Prior from all squads and Mr Pietersen's demands will have been met.

(Please note - tongue firmly in cheek)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:33 pm

I think it's been said before that his elbow problem is a bit of a chronic injury, so there's no doubt his workload has to be very carefully managed. On the positive side, it means we'll get a decent look at young Briggs, which should be interesting. I was impressed by him in the UAE.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:35 pm

I don't think his elbow injury is as big concern for the India Tests really.

His injury got worst after that marathon spell he bowled at the Oval.

Can't see India batting 150-170 overs against anyone if I'm honest!

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Understand that Tredwell was next in line and has done a good job for England over the last couple of years but would have preferred to have seen Briggs called up. I think we need to be building towards the future and for me I see this as a sort of transition period for English cricket atm.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:38 pm

erm Briggs is already in the squad Liam?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Right decision I think. The same as Broad, he hasn't been right for a while and the rest will do him good hopefully. And it will be good to see Briggs get a chance, although his form in any formats over T20 has been a little ropey this year I look forward to seeing him play! Although I suppose it is possible, that if the management were being particularly negative, they could play Samit as the lone spinner and bring Woakes in for Swann and load the batting even more.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Flower's favourites are all given rest.......Broad, Swann.....but never KP was give a rest...or his request even entertained.

and his complain stands validated
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:44 pm

KPs been rested for the last 3 games.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:44 pm

KP_fan wrote:Flower's favourites are all given rest.......Broad, Swann.....but never KP was give a rest...or his request even entertained.

Just get a room, shag Pietersen and be done with it KP_fan.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Seriously though, can we get rid of the account mods? It stunts actual debate by regurgiating crap
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:erm Briggs is already in the squad Liam?

Is he, so he will play now for the rest of the series. Just assumed because Tredwell had been called up that he would go straight into the side OK

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:Flower's favourites are all given rest.......Broad, Swann.....but never KP was give a rest...or his request even entertained.

what do you mean by that underlined
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:48 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Google it. You'll soon find out.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Liam wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:erm Briggs is already in the squad Liam?

Is he, so he will play now for the rest of the series. Just assumed because Tredwell had been called up that he would go straight into the side OK

Actually looking at the original squad I don't see Briggs' name? Headscratch

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

I think you are too embarrased to explain?........that's OK...it's there for the records on who is posting abusive and off topic stuff
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Pietersen wanted a rest so he could play Big Bash and full IPL (as demonstrated by his and his agent's actions since). Huge difference to genuinly resting bowlers who have a much bigger physical workload.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:54 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

I think you are too embarrased to explain?........that's OK...it's there for the records on who is posting abusive and off topic stuff

I'm sure you have many posts in these records.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:55 pm

And another topic ends up being derailed.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Yet more wrong facts KP fan.

KP has been rested before, and he did not like it one little bit.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Laugh Laugh

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Yeah, sorry GSC (I should not have left the door open with my original post) Sad

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:03 pm

Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

I'm sure you have many posts in these records.

why don't you point them out to the moderators
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Oh and Briggs certainly wasn't in the original ODI squad

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/natwest-series/england-squad-natwest-series-v-southafrica-2012,2748,BP.html

I have not noticed him being added, but he is in the T20 squad:

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/natwest-twenty20-international/england-squad,319332,EN.html

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:06 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Yeah, sorry GSC (I should not have left the door open with my original post) Sad

Don't worry about it, it would've happened regardless. KP_Fan seems intent on doing this in every thread. Lacking attention from somewhere I think.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:08 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Oh and Briggs certainly wasn't in the original ODI squad

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/natwest-series/england-squad-natwest-series-v-southafrica-2012,2748,BP.html

I have not noticed him being added, but he is in the T20 squad:

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/natwest-twenty20-international/england-squad,319332,EN.html

I thought he hadn't, anyway he should be.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm

sorry my bad, I was thinking of the world T20 squad. Briggs is in that one. Tredwell is obviously seen as next in line in ODIs, and did pretty well against Oz, so very much a continuity decision.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:25 pm

GSC wrote:KPs been rested for the last 3 games.
True. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Its actually a very good idea to rest players like Swann and Broad who have been visibly struggling with injuries. Good chance to give some up and coming players a chance on the big stage as well.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Biltong wrote:
GSC wrote:KPs been rested for the last 3 games.
True. Whistle

also rested from the ODI series against India a year ago.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Good call to rest Swann - I'd have kept him out of the whole series. His elbow needs careful management and he needs to play a full part in the World T20 and in the Tests and ODIs in India.

Tredwell did well last time and is a very solid replacement for Swann.

Briggs is currently performing well in T20s, but I think England rightly have him further down the ODI pecking order and not in consideration for Tests. He is more of a 'dart' type bowler than a skilful bowler like Swann. In 40-over cricket he hasn't always been great on unhelpful surfaces, and often hasn't featured in the Championship for Hampshire.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:46 pm

What ever happened to Yardy? I know he had some private issues but i always rated him as a T20/ODI player.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:58 pm

eirebilly wrote:What ever happened to Yardy? I know he had some private issues but i always rated him as a T20/ODI player.

I would assume that his issues were never fully resolved, hence his omission from the wider pool of 30 players for the World T20.

Whilst he was never particularly popular on forums I always thought he did a good job for us, and has come back into some of that form this season. But I guess that after suffering from depression England wouldn't want to take a risk on somebody who was never going to be more than a fringe player. Also, Yardy's personal issues coincided with Samit Patel's return to availability after his fitness issues. Patel probably offers a slightly less defensive option with the ball and has more of a claim to being an international batsman than Yardy, who always suffered from the fact that his ugly style meant he often batted as low as 8 in internationals.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah, Yardy did get shelled alot on the 606 but i really liked him. Certainly good in T20's
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Big big fan of Yards obviously, on his day one of the best non spinning spinners in the world!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm a big fan of Azeem Rafiq. I'd quite like to see him break into the fringes of England's one-day plans this winter. Remarkably he hasn't even played for the Lions yet...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Have seen next to nothing of him Shelsey.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:I'm a big fan of Azeem Rafiq. I'd quite like to see him break into the fringes of England's one-day plans this winter. Remarkably he hasn't even played for the Lions yet...

Don't know, whenever I've seen him play on sky (The few times) he looks a little loose to me. Bit like Rashid in that he looks raw with plenty of talent but shouldn't be rushed into things. Needs to have a good couple of seasons of county cricket to ensure he is fully prepared for the step up to International level. Also there's a few spinners ahead in the pecking order.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Swann should have never been picked for this series, he's one of the most important core players for England, and his recent performances indicates that that elbow is giving him trouble. If anything, Swann in my view needed that rest more than Broad did, good they both are getting some time out of the game. Better late than never.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Yardy if he were over his issues and if he were actually any good would be competing for Patels role, hes in no way a Swann replacement

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down