The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing Books

+3
licence_007
huw
oxring
7 posters

Go down

Boxing Books Empty Boxing Books

Post by oxring Fri 15 Apr 2011, 1:54 pm

What are your favourite boxing-related books?

Hands of Stone and Becoming Holyfield are both good reads. I liked in Becoming Holyfield Evander's perspective of "that" decision; including the fact that he realised it was bad.

I've heard "2 seconds from greatness" by Meldrick Taylor is an absolute turkey - some of the things he's written are absolutely incredible (there was some discussion on how bad it was on here not that long ago). (can post segments if people are interested)
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Boxing Books Empty Re: Boxing Books

Post by huw Fri 15 Apr 2011, 2:32 pm

The Big If - Johnny Owen. Really fascinating and sad story.
Dark Trade - Couldn't put it down
War Baby - If a Benn fan
Night Train - On Sonny Liston - again very interesting book

Hands of Stone was a good read. I've read loads on Ali but they do tend to blur into one!

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Fri 15 Apr 2011, 2:34 pm

I'm currently reading Hands of Stone and would agree that it is really good.

I haven't read many more. A book about Liston and Ali by Bob Mee which gave me a decent background into Liston, never really knew much about him.

Anyone read Four Kings? It's sitting on my shelf for my next read.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Apr 2011, 2:37 pm

I have read four kings, is excellent

Some others I have enjoyed a lot

Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row - Harry Otty

Sam Langford - Clay Moyle

Anything by Adam Pollack

Don King - Jack Newfield

Anything by Andrew Gallimore

Pound for Pound Herb Boyd

Avoid No Ordinary Joe like the plague, absolutely awful.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Apr 2011, 3:02 pm

"Dark Trade" and "McIllveney on Boxing" are two essentials.

Mailer's "The Fight" always seems to get mentioned despite it being somewhat pretentious in parts (but as Mailer was there, his opinion is certainly more valid that than of many others).

"The Tao of Muhammed Ali" by Davis Miller is a good read...if only for the fact it isn't yet another cash-in by Thomas Hauser

Michael Watson - My Biggest Fight...another great little read.

"The Great White Hopes" by Graeme Kent

"Papa Jack" by Randy Roberts

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Apr 2011, 3:08 pm

Agree about Mailer Dave is a good read and a work out for the gray matter but is also wildly frustrating in parts. Mailer seems incapable of realising that when he is talking about Ali winning his title back almost seven years after being stripped of the title Mailer is not the most interesting aspect of the story by a long chalk.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Apr 2011, 3:12 pm

Always had the feeling that if you challenged Norman about it he'd say, "Well, were YOU there?" in the same way people with atrociously behaved offspring who deserve a smack always say, "Do you have children of your own?"

"Er, no, but you don't have to be Nanny McPhee to realise that both your and your child would benefit from a ruddy good slap!"

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 15 Apr 2011, 4:54 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Always had the feeling that if you challenged Norman about it he'd say, "Well, were YOU there?" in the same way people with atrociously behaved offspring who deserve a smack always say, "Do you have children of your own?"

"Er, no, but you don't have to be Nanny McPhee to realise that both your and your child would benefit from a ruddy good slap!"

laughing Tell em Dave
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:14 pm

Reading 'A Flame of Pure Fire' at the moment. It's good, but so far-a little over 100 pages in-it reads a little too fawningly for my liking. Still very good, gives a good impression of the era, but I think the author knew Dempsey, and that's very apparent in the way he favours him. Only other boxing book I read was 'Unforgivable Blackness'. Fantastic read, I'd heartily recommend it. Almost a tear-jerker in parts. Obviously not to me though, being the epitome of manliness...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:25 pm

Balti, have not read a Flame so cannot comment but if you want a decent book on Dempsey the one by Randy Roberts is excellent. Also the Tunney book by Cavanaugh covers Dempsey in almost as much detail as Tunney so is a bit of a two for the price of one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:27 pm

I didn't believe it affected you Balti, not men like us, been having a little look at 'A Flame of Pure Fire', let me know what you think when you are finished. thumbsup
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:27 pm

Cheers Rowley. thumbsup
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:29 pm

If you want a boxing book that may crack even the hardest of hearts the aforementioned The Big If will do the trick. How anyone can read that without filling up is beyond me, when I say that I obviously exclude myself. I'm so manly I laughed at the end of Old Yeller.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:31 pm

Bob Mee - The Heavyweights is a good read as it covers every fighter that has fought for the title(s).

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:35 pm

Don't worry Rowley i believe you, never heard of it going to check it out right now. thumbsup
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:38 pm

Rowley- it was a bit of a toss-up between Dempsey and Tunney, having heard what you've just said about the Tunney book. Not knowing masses about either, I opted for Dempsey.

Galveston/Rowley- I'll let you guys know what I make of it when I've finished it. Like I say, early impressions are that the author isn't 100% impartial, but so far not to the detriment of the overall book.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:39 pm

Lee Rhodes 'Tales from the Vaults' is 700 pages and only for the hardcore. It covers just about everything. Well worth it.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 15 Apr 2011, 5:44 pm

Lee Rhodes 'Tales from the Vaults' is 700 pages and only for the hardcore. It covers just about everything. Well worth it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob i remember you mentioning this book a few weeks ago but couldn't seem to find it, had a search but it kept on showing me horror books, even when i typed boxing in beside it, any info/links would be much appreciated mate. thumbsup
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 15 Apr 2011, 6:28 pm

Hi Galveston,

Its on this page with a few other great books. Just click on the book image to be taken to Amazon.
http://www.billycboxing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=70

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 16 Apr 2011, 3:06 am

Many thanks Rob.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down