The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Season Born

+7
Super D Boon
Herman Jaeger
bellchees
TopHat24/7
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
davidemore
11 posters

Go down

A Season Born Empty A Season Born

Post by davidemore Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:22 am

Really excited about the new season, and really glad to see HBO showcase two new fighters on their 24/7 series. They seem hungry and not choreographed, and i think the Chavez JR vs Martinez fight will be a barn-burner, and very close. REALLY hope Martinez wins though, i mean, we all know how i feel about Chavez Jr. Still, it will be a great fight, IMO.

Froch vs Mack is another good fight. Frochy doesn't do easy, and i think Mack will come to win. Froch by late KO but this could be a close one.

Dawson vs Ward. For once i am excited to see Chad fight, and if he comes ready he could trouble the elusive, cultured boxer, Ward. Tough fight to call but i like that.

Oh mumma, there's so many great fights coming up, so, which one most tingles your taste buds? And don't forget Broner and Rigo, those two are going to fight again this year, as are and many other blood hungry savages! Cotto's ruck is one i am particularly looking forward too.

Thoughts?

D

davidemore

Back to top Go down

A Season Born Empty Re: A Season Born

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:36 am

Can see Ward-Dawson, Martinez-Chavez Jr and Froch-Mack being absorbing fights, rather than great or exciting ones, to be honest. In terms of potential barnstormers, Olusegun-Matthysse should make fore essential viewing, and I'm expecting a good fight between Mitchell and Burns, too.

However, the tip-top fight for the coming months is, without doubt, Donaire-Nishioka (sorry Dave, I know you don't like the latter's name being mentioned!). I'm expecting Nonito to win that one fairly conclusively in the end, but there'll be some boxing touched by the Gods to witness in that one.

All we need is for the winner to fight Rigondeaux sometime next year and presto, whoever wins that is our new pound for pound number one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:47 am

Maidana-Soto karas, matthysse-olusegun and above all Alvarado-Rios will provide us with gruelling fights for sure

Ward-Dawson, Chavez-Martinez, Donaire-Nishioka are the big fights no doubt and deserve the hype

Both Gamboa and broner will be testing new waters in their next fights at higher weights and both have the potential to be huge stars

Cotto-Trout will make interesting viewing, trout isn't a big name but is a technically gifted fighter. He has great defence, good power and is smart and is a definite risk to cotto

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:48 am

Any news on when Gamboa is going to get back in the ring??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:54 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Any news on when Gamboa is going to get back in the ring??

17th November vs Juan Carlos Salgado for the IBF Super Featherweight title

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 12:05 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Any news on when Gamboa is going to get back in the ring??

17th November vs Juan Carlos Salgado for the IBF Super Featherweight title

Great match-up. Wonder if that'll set a super-fight for the winner (should be Gamboa) v Broner?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm

Can't see Gamboa-Broner ever coming off; I can see Broner always being one division or so up from the Cuban. Broner was the biggest Super-Featherweight I've ever seen and I think the 133 lb he registered at his most recent weigh in shows that he doesn't have much time left, if any at all, at the weight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 03 Sep 2012, 1:07 pm

Broner will be a big lightweight when he moves up, there's no way he should be at super featherweight. Also I think it's bad for his development as he has a big size advantage in all his fights and because of that it is easy to abandon your boxing and just rely on his sheer speed and power.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 03 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

Alvarado-Rios is one not to be missed imo. Two well schooled Latins of similar ability who won't have to go looking for each other. Could just boil down to who's got the biggest heart. Not disputing that Rios was more than lucky last time but it is what it is. Only seen Alvarado on you tube so really looking forward to see him live. Love to see him fight Matthysse whether the Argentinian beats Olusegun or not. A good four man tourny just for excitement would be Alvarado, Rios, Matthysse and Ricky Hatton.

Not seen Mack, not even on you tube, so maybe that's a better fight than I thought. Hope Martinez knocks out Chavez, saw Chavez for the first time against Andy Lee. Chavez was a lot better than I thought he would be from the stuff you read, in fact was a little bit impressed but at last he's in with someone who can make him miss and counter. Time to find out if he's as good as he thinks he is. Mitchell Burns nice little domestic.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 03 Sep 2012, 1:36 pm

Mack loses by KO to anyone half decent. So Froch will have no trouble in this one.

Ward will easily outwork a lazy Dawson who's been foolish enough to take this fight. Daft decision just about money. Hardly anyone goes down in weight to win world titles and Dawson's name isn't going to be added to the list of few boxers who've achieved that.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm

So many treats ahead, and after seeing Golovkin blast the Pol, some huge middleweight fights are out there with at least ten genuine world-class or verging on world-class fighters. Epic!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:26 pm

On the side, I think Rios will get past Alvarado with plenty to spare. Both have very visible weaknesses, but Alvarado somehow conspired to get himself outboxed by Breidis Prescott, the ultimate flat track bully, for almost the whole duration of their fight. Rios has plenty of flaws to be exposed, but Alvarado isn't the man to do that. I think Brandon is going to have himself a good ol' time in that one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:33 pm

Not true sadly. The standards in boxing have been slipping and the fighters around now are not in the same class as before. Take a look at the heavyweight division for the prime example. The division has been awful since Lewis retired. The heavyweights are the main division. Alot of other fighters around today are overrated. Mayweather is the best now but he is overrated and would not beat Sugar Ray Leonard, Hearns or Hagler. Looking at the Olympics the standard was poor even though the games were successful for Britain so there is not the same talent coming through as before and America has lost interest in boxing. I think boxing is trouble to be honest.Boxing is not the sport it was. Too many hype jobs now and not enough quality fighters. No good heavyweights, poor drug testing the list goes on.....

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

I remember when it was all fields round here, and you could leave your door open at night, you could go out for a pound and still have change for a fish supper on your way home and when the songs had words you could understand and programmes on the telly didn’t have all the effing and jeffing they have on them now.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:47 pm

Gordy wrote:Not true sadly. The standards in boxing have been slipping and the fighters around now are not in the same class as before. Take a look at the heavyweight division for the prime example. The division has been awful since Lewis retired. The heavyweights are the main division. Alot of other fighters around today are overrated. Mayweather is the best now but he is overrated and would not beat Sugar Ray Leonard, Hearns or Hagler. Looking at the Olympics the standard was poor even though the games were successful for Britain so there is not the same talent coming through as before and America has lost interest in boxing. I think boxing is trouble to be honest.Boxing is not the sport it was. Too many hype jobs now and not enough quality fighters. No good heavyweights, poor drug testing the list goes on.....

Maybe he is Waingro afterall...........

What do you think of Kevin Mitchell Gordy??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:51 pm

Oh good god, here he goes ago!!

You should rename yourself 'Flash Tripe Gordy'.....

Gordy! ah-ahh!
The bore of the 606v2 Universe!
Flash! ah-ahh!
He's here to repeat himself!
Flash! ah-ahh!
He's a nuisance!
Flash! ah-ahh!
King of the talking tripe!

He's a complete annoyance to us!
Stands for everyone from the late 80's early 90's!
He talks with no reasoning!
Every sentence is about the heavyweights!
Everyone is overated!
Flash.

He's just a man
Stuck in his own time warp
Nothing but a man
Who can't form an argument
Doesn't answer people's questions
May he find a different forum! (or be banned)l
.................ah................

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:06 pm

I have followed boxing a long time so I know what the sport was like in the past and how good fighters before now were. People who are new to boxing or have not been following it for long will not understand this.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:10 pm

Gordy wrote:I have followed boxing a long time so I know what the sport was like in the past and how good fighters before now were. People who are new to boxing or have not been following it for long will not understand this.

'long time' but you only know about 4 boxers and nothing earlier than about 1994.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:20 pm

You assume you are the only one who has followed boxing for a long time though Gordy.

What do you think everyone started following Boxing post 1995 or something? It's fine having an opinion on certain things....it creates debate but as a forum you should be open to the idea of other peoples. You should at least debate and answer people's questions when people are trying to garner your views on certain things....but you don't.

You turn up on each thread and spout the same nonsense....you bracket every fighter who wasn't in your little golden era of boxing as overrated when this clearly isn't the case.

I mean even Mayweather you say is overrated & he wouldn't beat Hearns, Hagler or Leonard. Complete tripe!!

We all know the Heavyweight division is useless...using it as a yard stick to beat the current climate of Boxing is pointless. It is no longer recognised as the 'Premier' division amongst Boxing fans....in fact even casual viewers realise the good fights are at the lower weights now.

I know everyone will say just ignore it but coming on and reading the same thing over is both annoying and IMO detrimental to the forum. People would come on take a look through these posts and be put off by the fact

a) you show no reasoning or debate

b) Do not actually partake in any kind of back & forth discussion.

Rant over!!

Last edited by owen10ozzy on Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:21 pm

No fighting please. Actually... war! lol.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 03 Sep 2012, 5:13 pm

Donaire v Nishioka and Ward v Dawson are both great fights for purists, but does anyone know where they're actually being broadcast? I'm pretty sure boxnation doesn't have them...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 03 Sep 2012, 5:30 pm

Streaming websites do though John... I'll be ready, lol.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 03 Sep 2012, 5:34 pm

Uhu, good old streaming websites.

Gotta wonder who boxnation's target audience are. A dedicated boxing channel that doesn't have the most interesting fights is an...interesting idea.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 5:35 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:You assume you are the only one who has followed boxing for a long time though Gordy.

What do you think everyone started following Boxing post 1995 or something? It's fine having an opinion on certain things....it creates debate but as a forum you should be open to the idea of other peoples. You should at least debate and answer people's questions when people are trying to garner your views on certain things....but you don't.

You turn up on each thread and spout the same nonsense....you bracket every fighter who wasn't in your little golden era of boxing as overrated when this clearly isn't the case.

I mean even Mayweather you say is overrated & he wouldn't beat Hearns, Hagler or Leonard. Complete tripe!!

We all know the Heavyweight division is useless...using it as a yard stick to beat the current climate of Boxing is pointless. It is no longer recognised as the 'Premier' division amongst Boxing fans....in fact even casual viewers realise the good fights are at the lower weights now.

I know everyone will say just ignore it but coming on and reading the same thing over is both annoying and IMO detrimental to the forum. People would come on take a look through these posts and be put off by the fact

a) you show no reasoning or debate

b) Do not actually partake in any kind of back & forth discussion.

Rant over!!

I actually think PBF would struggle with all 3, especially Hagler at 160 lbs. Hearns was almost the perfect anti-thesis of Floyd, he had such a stunningly fast, accurate and powerful jab and the physciality to stop PBF getting inside where he would otherwise excel (esp if at 154). Leonard would be a dream match-up and could see Floyd winning it as many times as losing it. Think SRL's speed could be too much for Floyd at 147/154 especially since Floyd's power hasn't travelled up through the weights due to his hands.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 03 Sep 2012, 5:35 pm

rowley wrote:I remember when it was all fields round here, and you could leave your door open at night, you could go out for a pound and still have change for a fish supper on your way home and when the songs had words you could understand and programmes on the telly didn’t have all the effing and jeffing they have on them now.

Damn it! I remember when you could go swimming for 40p. You could catch a bus, go swimming for four hours, have a bag of chips and a bottle of pop, all for just £1!

Sorry, that's my favourite "I remember when..." story and I never lose an opportunity to mention it.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm

Haha! Super D Boon - Those were the days.

I decided to be a good older brother yesterday and took my little sister swimming....of course she wanted to go on the bus which is more fun than driving!

£3.85 the cost for me to swim...wouldn't mind but they didn't even have a slide their.

Total cost for the day out £15!!! The worst was still to come....bought her some sweets, I can confirm penny sweets are now 2p! Unbelievable....

Wouldn't mind but since im only 24 I wouldn't even class myself as old but I still find myself remembering the days when I was young and everything was so much cheaper!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down