The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL games of the Week: Week One

+4
crazy_dave23
GSC
BamBam
Thomond
8 posters

Go down

NFL games of the Week: Week One Empty NFL games of the Week: Week One

Post by Thomond Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:25 pm

Courtesy of Derby, there will be another added around Saturday, if anyone wants to do one of these for every week or just now and then say it below.

I’ve chosen this game for a couple of reasons, the biggest one being that it means the NFL is really back, no more of these games largely played by backups. On top of that, we get to witness a classic NFC East rivalry game to kick the season off; since 1980 the Giants lead the Cowboys 31-30 with the latest win on New Year’s Day which took the Giants to 9-7 and into the postseason.

While I can’t guarantee this game is going to be quite as exciting as last year’s 34-42 shootout between New Orleans and Green Bay, it should still be an entertaining and tight game as over the last 3 seasons the games between these two teams have been decided on average by 8 points. It’s all set up nicely for a good game, in 2011 the Giants scored the 6th most rushing touchdowns and the Cowboys allowed the 6th least, the Cowboys tied for the second least rushing touchdowns and the Giants allowed the 7th most rushing touchdowns. In the passing game both offenses are better than their opposing defences, on top of this the Giants are going to be missing Amukamara again and while Claiborne could start for the Cowboys he has only taken part in two games, having spent most of preseason with some form of injury so neither of these teams recent 1st round additions at Cornerback will impact greatly on the game.

Some questions that we get to start getting the answers too from the game: Was it just one good season, or are they really that good? This relates to both Victor Cruz and DeMarco Murray, in the Giants preseason games that I have watched Cruz has continued to look impressive especially with Hakeem Nicks missing, I haven’t been able to catch any Cowboys preseason games but Murray’s stats from the 3 games aren’t overly impressive. What will happen to Dallas’ passing game? Last year Laurent Robinson came from nowhere to became a reliable target for Romo, and he ended up with a team leading 11 touchdowns and 15.9 yards per reception (leading those with over 10 receptions) after moving to Jacksonville via free agency, this leaves them with Witten who has missed most of the preseason through injury, Bryant who yet again has been the focus of media attention and again it’s because of things happening off the field, and Austin whose 2011 season was full of hamstring issues causing him to miss 6 games and post disappointing season totals after two 1,000+ yard seasons.

Did I mention football’s back?

http://v2journal.com/nfl-games-of-the-week-week-1-dallas-cowboys-v-new-york-giants.html
http://v2journal.com/nfl-games-of-the-week-week-1-new-england-patriots-v-tennesse-titans.html
http://v2journal.com/nfl-games-of-the-week-week-1-san-francisco-49ers-v-green-bay-packers.html

Last edited by Thomond on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Thomond

Back to top Go down

NFL games of the Week: Week One Empty Re: NFL games of the Week: Week One

Post by BamBam Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:01 pm

Thomond wrote:

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Great preview Thomond! Not stuck your neck out with a prediction then ..? I'm going for the Giants, reckon it will come down to the QBs in the 4th and Eli has got the edge there

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:05 pm

Derby wrote it not me. Will be doing the Packers game, despite the fact that Bucs game will be a thriller Wink Should be done for the weekend if I can get a Bucs article done before hand for another site and if I can sort out the time to do it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:17 pm

Cowboys OL is poor, Witten and Austin nursing injuries. Doesn't look good.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

Thomond wrote:Derby wrote it not me. Will be doing the Packers game, despite the fact that Bucs game will be a thriller Wink

Can't wait for the Niners vs the Pack this weekend. Clear game of the week but I am slightly petrified of loosing!

Anyway, nice review Derby!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:27 pm

bambamwillis wrote:
Thomond wrote:

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Great preview Thomond! Not stuck your neck out with a prediction then ..? I'm going for the Giants, reckon it will come down to the QBs in the 4th and Eli has got the edge there
I think it's the Giants that end up winning, would peope prefer me to say who I think wins in the future?

Thanks for the kind words, if anyone wanted to join in or even do a college game of the week you would be more than welcome to.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm

Some very interesting match ups in week 1 starting with the divisional rivalry tomorrow. The Giants just pipped the Cowboys to a play offs spot last year with a 31-14 win on the last week of the regular season.

If will be interesting to see how the Colts new 'rookie' offense does against the Bears with Cutler, Forte back and the additions of Marshall and Jeffery.

The Jaguars vs Vikings game gives both a chance to get off to a winning start.

Game of the week has to be the 49ers vs Packers, a game many are expecting to be the NFC Championship game come January. Keen to see how the Packers offense does against the 49ers defense.

Among the others games the Broncos and Jets games appeal for curiosity reasons.

mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:31 pm

Hmm.... got a sense of deja vu reading this... :P

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:27 pm

Second game is up now courtesy of Olly, read it and for those of you on twitter if you wouldn't mind plugging it. http://v2journal.com/nfl-games-of-the-week-week-1-new-england-patriots-v-tennesse-titans.html

Page was fixed today but forgot to notify people on here.

Last edited by Thomond on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Sep 2012, 1:24 pm

Thank you if you have plugged it. If not plug it!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 08 Sep 2012, 5:11 pm

... title of the article is wrong... might want to plug the Patriots vs Titans and not an article suggesting its the Patriots vs Cowboys.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 08 Sep 2012, 9:04 pm

It didn't really say much either
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 08 Sep 2012, 9:09 pm

http://v2journal.com/nfl-games-of-the-week-week-1-san-francisco-49ers-v-green-bay-packers.html My one on the Packers v 49ers game is up now, seems to have been well received in some places. Again try and plug it and the site (here too) if you can, mainly if you enjoy them.

The Patritos one was fixed earlier on, so it now reads correctly. Also this is something that will probably be done every week so if people want to do a preview of any game write one and it will probably be put up.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:03 am

GurTPL wrote:Hmm.... got a sense of deja vu reading this... :P
If you didn't get Gur's hint then my game of the week article was featured on The Pulling Linemen with their three choices as part of the UK Interblog Prediction Competition (think they're looking for a better name). Probably a bit late to tell you to check out their choices, but they had 49ers @ Packers, Redskins @ Saints and Steelers @ Broncos.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down