The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd T20I: England v South Africa

+15
chrisss
Fists of Fury
Biltong
Shelsey93
ShankyCricket
Hibbz
guildfordbat
alfie
jimbohammers
Duty281
Liam
JDizzle
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
msp83
skyeman
19 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

2nd T20I: England v South Africa - Page 5 Empty 2nd T20I: England v South Africa

Post by skyeman Sat 08 Sep 2012, 8:22 am

First topic message reminder :

2nd T20I: England v South Africa at Old Trafford.

Match scheduled to begin at 18:30

This series will once again end up with one team either retaining or becoming the No1 ranked team. After being soundly beaten in the Tests and drawing the Odi's England will be hoping for victory against South Africa to give them a confidence boost before heading off to the World Cup later this month.

Other than a series winning confidence boost this is a big chance for a few players to stake their claim for a starting spot in the World Cup and also for one or two {Broads pace, Boparas batting} to try and regain some sort of form.

England need to bounce back to stay in the series after the shambles at Durham.

Squads

England; SCJ Broad {c}, JM Anderson, JM Bairstow, RS Bopara, TT Bresnan, DR Briggs, JC Buttler, JW Dernbach, ST Finn, AD Hales, C Kieswetter{w}, MJ Lumb, EJG Morgan, SR Patel, GP Swann, LJ Wright

South Africa; AB de Villiers{c,w}, HM Amla, F Behardien, J Botha, JP Duminy, F du Plessis, JH Kallis, RE Levi, JA Morkel, M Morkel, JL Ontong, WD Parnell, RJ Peterson, DW Steyn, LL Tsotsobe

Still an injury concern for Tim Bresnan though.

Good luck to both teams.

Last edited by skyeman on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

skyeman

Back to top Go down

2nd T20I: England v South Africa - Page 5 Empty Re: 2nd T20I: England v South Africa

Post by chrisss Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm

Morgan to the rescue? Or maybe the rain? Very Happy

Last edited by chrisss on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

chrisss

Back to top Go down

2nd T20I: England v South Africa - Page 5 Empty Re: 2nd T20I: England v South Africa

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm

Wright gone, so the D/L will go up I imagine. Time for Morgan!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm

Wright gone. Eng 29/2.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:04 pm

Match. No result.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:04 pm

And I think the game will be abandoned, it's hammering down. Feel sorry for the spectators.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:25 am

Well that was utter dross, wasn't it?

Our batting looks pathetically inept. A bunch of average sloggers that succeed at county level but simply cannot cut the mustard against world class bowlers. We looked all at sea.

We haven't even got a sniff of success at the World T20, and are a guaranteed victim of the group stages having lost all three games.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:26 am

On the plus side, very good bowling from Swann and I was quite impressed with Dernbach. Our fielding left a fair bit to be desired again, despite some very good work from the likes of Bairstow.

Could not believe we dropped Amla AGAIN. What's that now, 8 or 9 times this tour? Pathetic.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisss Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:34 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Well that was utter dross, wasn't it?

Our batting looks pathetically inept. A bunch of average sloggers that succeed at county level but simply cannot cut the mustard against world class bowlers. We looked all at sea.

We haven't even got a sniff of success at the World T20, and are a guaranteed victim of the group stages having lost all three games.

I don't have much faith in our batting at the moment either, but I think it's to soon to write them off after one 20 over game, and one five over slog. I do think that (and I'm probably in the minority in thinking this) that our third best t20 batsman isn't being considered at all: Owais Shah. He's a very experienced t20 batsmen and over the past year he's played all over the world and scored a lot of runs.

chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:56 am

Completely agree, Chris, though unfortunately he has fell out with almost everyone at the ECB and thus has no chance of even being considered. I have it on good authority that they've washed their hands of Owais.

I'd pick him, for sure, and he can actually play spin.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:40 pm

I can't think that Owais would have got over his frenetic tendencies which have cost England in the past - nervous starts, run outs, often cramping up, poor in the field.

Yes, he is a good T20 player and whacked some runs around at the IPL. But the IPL is a very different competition to International T20 - save for 1 or 2 bowlers on each side the bowling tends to be pretty average stuff, and the players aren't under the kind of pressure they are when representing their country.

For me the youngsters we have are every bit as good as Owais and so we made completely the right decision to ditch him.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm

Those youngsters need to start performing though, Shelsey. It is getting to the point where they have played enough games to be making an impact. Think Virat Kohli...where is our Kohli? I don't think there is one. They are all promising but they lack genuine quality.

If we are to continue with the youngsters, as I believe we should, then it is essential that the likes of Pietersen are brought back to make up for their shortcomings.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:10 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:I can't think that Owais would have got over his frenetic tendencies which have cost England in the past - nervous starts, run outs, often cramping up, poor in the field.

Yes, he is a good T20 player and whacked some runs around at the IPL. But the IPL is a very different competition to International T20 - save for 1 or 2 bowlers on each side the bowling tends to be pretty average stuff, and the players aren't under the kind of pressure they are when representing their country.

For me the youngsters we have are every bit as good as Owais and so we made completely the right decision to ditch him.
Oh come on. Owais is an INFINITELY better player of spin than anyone in this side and that includes Morgan. Its not just the IPL. He has scored runs in the BBL and the South African T20 too. And Owais is a much better runner nowadays.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:19 pm

Owais was a key part of the ODI side that won an ODI series in SL in 2007 and was one of the few players to come out of the 2008 whitewash in India with his pride in tact. He has scored runs in the subcontinent at international level. I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that the likes of Buttler are as good players of spin as him at the moment. They might have more talent but they are definitely not as good as Owais at the moment. Its important not to get carried away by watching a youngster play spin well in England. Playing spin in Asia is a different ball game altogether. Owais has experience of doing well over there. No brainer to pick him, tbh.

And fielding? As if bringing him would worsen our fielding? Can it get any worse? We have become an awful fielding side since Colly anyway.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:23 pm

"Promising youngsters" is fine. But it has come to a stage where they have to start delivering. There is too much inexperience in the side.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:35 pm

This is the same owais shah who has roughly the same ODI figures as Bopara right?

cherry picking his successes on the sub continent ignores that his avergae there in all games in no better than his career average...which itself is ...pretty average.

Lets bear in mind that the ODI series is part of building for the ICC trophy and next world cup. Winning is nice, but noone really cares about these series ... Englands real gain is building a side for the future. Owais isnt part of that.

I dont see him as a magic bullet ( just another " could do a job " player) , not is he going to add much to the future of England.

I agree that Buttler and his lot need to do a bit more to justify all the hype they got pre selection, but going back to Shah is no more the answer than selecting Collingwood or Dimi would be.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Sep 2012, 1:44 pm

The last T20 is tonight isn't it?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 1:50 pm

Yes Biltong. Should be a 6.30 start, English time, if there is no rain!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Sep 2012, 1:55 pm

Let's hope so, I set aside monday evening to watch the T20 and it was really disappointing.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisss Wed 12 Sep 2012, 2:56 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:This is the same owais shah who has roughly the same ODI figures as Bopara right?

cherry picking his successes on the sub continent ignores that his avergae there in all games in no better than his career average...which itself is ...pretty average.

Lets bear in mind that the ODI series is part of building for the ICC trophy and next world cup. Winning is nice, but noone really cares about these series ... Englands real gain is building a side for the future. Owais isnt part of that.

I dont see him as a magic bullet ( just another " could do a job " player) , not is he going to add much to the future of England.

I agree that Buttler and his lot need to do a bit more to justify all the hype they got pre selection, but going back to Shah is no more the answer than selecting Collingwood or Dimi would be.

But the discussion isn't about whether Shah should be in the ODI team, it's about whether he should be in the t20 team. And after 156 t20 games he averages 34 at a strike rate of 130, which are pretty good figures (for comparison,Bairstow averages 19 at a s/r of 116, Kieswetter averages 28 at a s/r of 120 and Bopara averages 24 at a s/r of 115). And England should be concerned with trying to regain the t20 World Cup, not about building for the future, so Shah's age doesn't come into it.

chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

The big thing which England need to do is rediscover the brand of 'fearless cricket' that they played in the Caribbean.

A combination of the successful new 50-over plan (which relies on a degree of caution), a couple of personnel changes and the passing of time appear to have stifled it, leading to us becoming a nervous looking T20 batting side.

The actual personnel needn't matter that much - for what its worth I believe Shah was given enough chances and never really nailed it when it mattered. He's continued to do OK (and at times very well) in domestic T20 in recent years but I don't think he offers anything to the side that the people we have don't; nor is it likely that his previous frailties (in the field, running between the wickets, fitness, frenetic starts) have gone away.

When we look at the top six and compare it to the top six of two years ago you'd say that Hales replacing Lumb doesn't weaken the team, and that the current in-form Bairstow is potentially better than Colly. The rest of the batting is of course the same, apart from Buttler replacing KP. KP is a key player but we must remember that had he not told everybody that the demands on his body meant he didn't want to play any more one-day cricket, he would most likely still be in the team.

However good KP is (and he's very good) he's not God. We've won games where he's failed, and we can definitely win games without him.

The crucial thing is that our bowling is still amongst the best in the world - only SA and Pakistan are anywhere near as strong. I think this will help us against teams like India and WI who rely on big totals: our bowlers have, in the past and recent past, dominated against both these teams.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

chrisss wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:This is the same owais shah who has roughly the same ODI figures as Bopara right?

But the discussion isn't about whether Shah should be in the ODI team, it's about whether he should be in the t20 team. And after 156 t20 games he averages 34 at a strike rate of 130, which are pretty good figures (for comparison,Bairstow averages 19 at a s/r of 116, Kieswetter averages 28 at a s/r of 120 and Bopara averages 24 at a s/r of 115). And England should be concerned with trying to regain the t20 World Cup, not about building for the future, so Shah's age doesn't come into it.

Apologies yes, but the debate is pointless since the squad has already been announced..before Boparas slump in limited over form. He was picked off the back of a 59 at 134 and some good ODI form.
You cant really compare Bairstow and Keistwetter as they are in as keeper and keeper cover. And again with the selective stats, Shahs international 20 record is 25 at 122 and never bowled...Boparas batting average is lower (it but he has a bowling average of 14 at 6.5. Hes in the squad as a genuine all round option, Shah barely even bowls (less than 10 overs in 156 games) at domestic level.
England needed a batsman who can bowl fairly often. The choices were Bopara and Wright, they are taking them. Unfortunately one is massively off form with the bat.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 12 Sep 2012, 6:10 pm

Cricket does my head in sometimes, a tiny bit of water on the pitch and they wont play, it seems like they never think of the spectators. Yes players might slip over, but it is sport...

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:10 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Cricket does my head in sometimes, a tiny bit of water on the pitch and they wont play, it seems like they never think of the spectators. Yes players might slip over, but it is sport...

I do wish people would get on with it.

Footballers and rugby players play sports where they are far more likely to slip over on wet surfaces. There is a limit, but we need to get on the field more.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

Danny Briggs has been presented with a cap. clap

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:44 pm

Forecast is great for this evening so we really should be able to get a game in.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

8:12 start with 11 overs a side.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:56 pm

SA win the toss and bowl. Let's aim for 100!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

Lumb plays with Bresnan and Briggs also getting a game.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:01 pm

Yep, squad rotation from both sides to gives everybody a game.

A shame that Hales misses out - he needs a knock himself - but it also wouldn't have been fair to leave Lumb out of all the lead in games when he's in the 15.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

England team
C Kieswetter†, MJ Lumb, LJ Wright, EJG Morgan, JC Buttler, JM Bairstow, TT Bresnan, GP Swann, SCJ Broad*, DR Briggs, JW Dernbach

South Africa team
RE Levi, JH Kallis, HM Amla, AB de Villiers*†, F du Plessis, JL Ontong, JA Morkel, J Botha, RJ Peterson, WD Parnell, M Morkel

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:18 pm

Some over from Morkel there 6 wides and 16 runs from it.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:18 pm

16 off the first over, love it!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:32 pm

Morkel. Laugh

Wides is going well so far as our top scorer....

Some spin though for Peterson should keep Swann/Briggs interested.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:33 pm

37/1 after 4 overs. Good start.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:34 pm

When Kies plays lovely shots like that off Botha you wonder why he lets so many dot balls be sent down at him...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:37 pm

Wright out. Caught by Amla skying Botha to backward point. He looked at his frenetic worst out there, unfortunately.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:42 pm

Only 4 boundaries in 6 overs, not easy out there.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:43 pm

Very tough against the spinners. Briggs and Swann will be licking their lips.

Ravi would have bowled well on this pitch... Wink

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:44 pm

Why was that not a wide.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:46 pm

4 big overs needed now, less than 8 per over.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:52 pm

90 is a minimum here. Tough pitch to bat on, but tough fielding conditions also.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:53 pm

Its pretty depressing to think that Boparas back up/replacement is Luke Wright and one of them is pretty much guaranteed to play.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:53 pm

Mor gone

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:58 pm

3 sixes in a row for England!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:58 pm

Buttler! Boom!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:59 pm

Scoooooop! And a second free hit!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

Scooooop! Twice off two free hits! 24 off the over! 2 balls still to go!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisss Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

Get in there Buttler! Very Happy

chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

Six! Smoked him again!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

Buttler showing what he can do! This is amazing, 29 off 8 balls!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next