The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys 13- Ulster 16- Match report

+7
TropicalHotdog
HERSH
Seagultaf
maestegmafia
Mickado
Notch
Thomond
11 posters

Go down

Ospreys 13- Ulster 16- Match report Empty Ospreys 13- Ulster 16- Match report

Post by Thomond Sun 09 Sep 2012, 11:05 am

A match report courtesy of rugbydreamer, she's a Turk so her one-eyedness is probably not as prevalent Wink

Looking at the team sheets, you would have been forgiven to think that this game had excitement written all over it. Sadly, it didn’t transpire that way.
A crowd of over 8,000 was there to welcome the defending champions Ospreys to their first home game of the season, with the hopes of defeating the visiting Ulster. It was a cagey start from both sides, with the forwards providing the platform but neither set of backs being able to utilise it.

At times it was a comedy of errors with missed passes, knock-ons or simply passing the ball straight into touch. Niall O’Connor was to have another poor day with the boot, although he did manage to slot over a penalty to give Ulster a 3-0 lead.

In a stodgy first half it was the home side that finally sent a thrill of excitement around the Liberty Stadium. The ever aggressive Dirksen managed to break through the Ulster midfield, yet he ran away from his supporting players and when faced with two Ulster players that should have been the end of his chance. Full back Jared Payne will hope not to see the replays as Dirksen handed him off with ease to elude Marshall to cross the try line. Morgan converted.

The game stuttered on with neither side being able to add to their points total, with the half time score remaining 7 – 3 to the Ospreys.

Paddy Jackson came on fifteen minutes into the second half and took over the kicking duties from O’Connor, immediately slotting 3 points. But it was the Ospreys who had extended their lead through the boot of Morgan, and going in to the last quarter they had what appeared to be a safe gap of 13 -6, with Ulster showing no signs of being able to score.

Cue the release of players from the Ulster bench. The introduction of Afoa, Trimble and Ferris made a difference. Now it was the Ospreys that were under pressure and scrambling in defence. Discipline soon told and just before the 70th minute, Jackson cut the lead to 13-9. Now the Ospreys were doing their best to hold on for the win.

Ulster continued their charge, but the Ospreys held firm and managed to stop prop Afoa just short of the line. It seemed they had done enough, but scrum half Marshall saw the opportunity and scooped up the ball to dive over the ruck to score. Jackson converted.

With five minutes remaining on the clock the defending champions now trailed 13-16 and try as they might they could make no inroads into the Ulster defence, who managed to see out the game for the win.

Rest will on the journal: http://v2journal.com/ospreys-rugby-13-16-ulster-rugby.html

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 13- Ulster 16- Match report Empty Re: Ospreys 13- Ulster 16- Match report

Post by Thomond Sun 09 Sep 2012, 11:23 am

Full report up here lads: http://v2journal.com/ospreys-rugby-13-16-ulster-rugby.html

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 13- Ulster 16- Match report Empty Re: Ospreys 13- Ulster 16- Match report

Post by Notch Sun 09 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

Fair summary. Ulster try was a good one though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia7rvnkK6Vo&feature=g-all-u

If you just watched that try you might be fooled into thinking it was a good game. Don't be. It was a terrible game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 09 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

I watched some of it, was a shocking affair, nice try though in fairness.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Sun 09 Sep 2012, 12:06 pm

Lovely try there Notch.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm

Well done RD lovely write up.

The Attendence figures were good, 8556 passed at the gate.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 09 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm

Here's Mark Anscombes reaction, in four quotes.

“I’m very relieved to come away with the win. It’s never easy to go to Swansea and come away with four points but we’ve achieved that so we have to be pleased. We didn’t play well for 65 minutes but I thought we played very well in the last quarter of an hour and it was great to get the win in the end,”.

“I was disappointed with the performance in the first 65 minutes. We didn’t look after the ball well enough, we were turned over a lot and we didn’t play territory like we had talked about. We seemed happy to amble through the game and I thought we generally lacked a bit of fizz and didn’t show enough purpose.”

“The scrums were very good in the second half; Nigel [Brady], John [Afoa] and Tom [Court] were very strong and put their front row under pressure. Allen Clarke has done a lot of work on our set piece and we are reaping the rewards,”

“There is plenty to improve on for next week. Every team will be looking to improve week on week and we’re no different. We will have a couple more guys back in the old and that will help but we have to be patient and we will get there.”

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10744.php

I like what he has to say. He knows we were bad. He's not trying to dress it up or hide it, but he's not panicking about it either. He's just saying if we're patient we'll get there and he's identified the positives there are. He speaks well. But if we play like that and lose the honeymoon will be over, I'm sure he knows that, and he knows we need to improve. The thing is, I think he's 100% right in thinking we will. I feel very positive about the direction we are heading in right now.

I think the biggest problem for him would be the halfbacks. And he'll be concerned about their performances. The difference Jackson made when he came on was key. Even thats a positive in a way though, because I think Jackson did great when he came on. If he can play like that he'll answer a lot of the questions about giving him so much responsibility so early in his career.

And I think it was very good man management to keep those big name players on the bench because every one of them was rusty when they came on, but all had a massive point to prove and a very profound impact on the course of the game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 09 Sep 2012, 1:51 pm

The Ospreys have Ryan, Ianto and of course Adam Jones to come back. Adam in particular will make a huge difference to the scrum.

The problem for the Ospreys is the backs, they have decent half backs, Fortuali and Biggar in particular are very good, with Morgan very much up and coming and Webb also. Of the rest Dirkson has huge enthusiasm and drive, but looks more of a 13 than a wing. If he is to get to play for Wales he either needs to work on his pace or learn to pass. Fussell is a good club wing playing full back. In my opoinion the biggest problem is at centre. Both Bishop and Beck are strong and solid in defence. Beck has a good step and offload but is so slow he makes Bishop look fast! They badly need the young wings in the squad to come good soon. Dirkson's pace at 13 would offset Becks lack of pace and provide him with a target for his offloads.

No doubt that with Adam Jones et al back in the side and a return to wet and muddy pitches, the Ospreys forwards will start winning games. But they wont beat the best in Europe with the current crop of backs......unless they unearth another Shane!

PS This needs merging with the other Ospreys v Ulster article!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Sep 2012, 3:41 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Well done RD lovely write up.

The Attendence figures were good, 8556 passed at the gate.

cheers Maes. My reports if they don't make it on here are on my website if you click on the link by my name Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Sep 2012, 6:10 pm

Cheers rd good week

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sun 09 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

Why did they water the pitch before the game?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by TropicalHotdog Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

That report was a good read.

I'm sure both sides will improve a fair bit and should be challenging later in the season.

One quick query. The crowd is mentioned as 8556. Is that the actual crowd or inclusive of the Ospreys pre-season ticket deal. Just interested on how this is calculated.

TropicalHotdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm

Hotdog, I read that the Os had sold 9000 season tickets this year. So it can't be.

The real question is whether those ticket numbers include season tickets bought as part of their membership packages.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/ticketing/season_tickets.php

The offers are;

Buy 1 Get 1 Free
£20 Early Bird Discount
Refer 3 Friends and Save 25%
4 Kids Free With A Full-Paying Adult
£50 Club Shop Voucher

So not all season ticket holders are going to exercise their right to bring 4 kids to every game for instance. And every transaction (customer buys a season ticket) is essentially two season tickets.

So the relationship between attendance and season tickets isn't at all clear. It's not clear to me if that includes kids for example.

Last edited by Notch on Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by TropicalHotdog Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:39 pm

Cheers, Notch.

Ospreys certainly have some good deals going!

Sounds like a decent gate anyway and some of the 'freebie' fans may stay on if they have a good day out.

TropicalHotdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:42 pm

TropicalHotdog wrote:Cheers, Notch.

Ospreys certainly have some good deals going!

Sounds like a decent gate anyway and some of the 'freebie' fans may stay on if they have a good day out.

Yeah absolutely. It must be the ultimate loss leader in rugby ticketing though. The concept is very sound. Make it almost suicidally cheap for people to get season tickets. Wait for people to warm to the idea of being season ticket holders and develop loyalty to the team. Then after a few years, hike prices.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:52 am

Sounds like desperate times down at the Liberty.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:55 am

Still trolling then Hersh?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:10 am

How is that trolling?

If this harassment continues I'll have to report it Rava.

I’m glad the mods can see the difference between trolling and having an opinion!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:12 am

Oh go on then, report me Very Happy but you know I'm right.
For you there is little difference between opinion and obsession.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:15 am

This is a discussion board is it not?

So therefore people will always have different opinions, whether you agree with them or not. thumbsup

Deal with it.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

Repeating the same point, ad nauseum, on multiple threads is not a discussion.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:51 am

Well I'm sorry that there are multiple threads about one game!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

HERSH, you could just copy and paste previous posts if you want to save yourself some time.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:11 am

Can I just say again... Nick Williams no look pass was very sexy. Most big ball carriers like him would have done the usual "Yay I got the ball, who can I run into and hurt??", but that showed he is more of a class act that most of us seemed to be aware of a month ago.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:18 am

T'was a lovely wee move right enough. I've been impressed with Williams' ability to last the whole match. It was something I thought might have been a problem.

I have to say I thought maybe Davy Irwin had been watching a bit too much of the Goal Ball in the Paralympics when I saw the way he bandaged poor Deccie Fitz' head up and then seemed he was going to stay on.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down