The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Etzebeth suspended.

+13
aucklandlaurie
emack2
Taylorman
Mr Fishpaste
anotherworldofpain
Big
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
gowales
AlastairW
maestegmafia
chewed_mintie
Biltong
17 posters

Go down

Etzebeth suspended. Empty Etzebeth suspended.

Post by Biltong Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:00 pm

Eben etzebeth has been suspended for two weeks up to and including the 24th of September.

Courtesy Supersport.

Eben Etzebeth will miss South Africa’s Rugby Championship clash with New Zealand after the big lock was found guilty of foul play by a Sanzar judicial hearing on Monday and banned for two weeks.

Etzebeth was found guilty of “contravening Law 10.4 (a) Punching or Striking after he was cited during the match at the weekend between Australia and South Africa in The Rugby Championship.

Etzebeth had appeared to aim a headbutt at Australia’s Nathan Sharpe in the 25th minute of the two teams’ Rugby Championship clash in Perth last Saturday.

Etzebeth has been one of the most consistent performers since Heyneke Meyer took over as Springbok coach and his absence will leave a huge hole in the South Africa team which will play the All Blacks in Dunedin on Saturday.

Meyer, speaking just hours before the result of Etzebeth’s hearing was made known, spoke of what the potential loss of the lock would mean for the team.

“It will be a big loss. I have a lot of respect for Flip (Van der Merwe) but I really believe that Eben, as a 20-year-old, is playing superb rugby. He was awesome last weekend and he will be one of the greats going forward,” Meyer told a news conference in Auckland.

“It will be a huge setback because we have some sort of continuity in our tight five now and he has done well with Juandre (Kruger). I believe that Eben has improved in every single test he has played and, even though he is a youngster, he is a huge physical presence,” he added.

Nigel Hampton QC, who heard the judicial hearing, did not mince his words when describing why he had administered his punishment.

“I was satisfied that this was not an attempt just to push the opposing player away by using his head without contact being made. The player brought his forehead forward and downward with a degree of speed and force into the nose area of the opposing player making contact with that player. This was a deliberate act done as a part of an episode of escalating “Holly Wilaboobie for tat” pushing and shoving between the two players. As to sanction, intentional striking with the head into the face of another is not to be countenanced under any circumstances,” said Hampton in a statement.

Lock Bakkies Botha is expected to be called up to the squad as a replacement

I have a few thoughts about this.

If you are going to attempt a headbutt, make sure you connect, it is simply foolish to be banned for something that hasn't actually achieved anything.
If you are going to be stupid enough to react to someone taunting you, get and IQ test done, if the assessment is above fifty, sell.
Hopefuly all shadow ounches that doesn't connect will recieve a ban from now on.
Just another proof of eveidence that SA players are #$%^& stupid.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Etzebeth suspended. Empty Re: Etzebeth suspended.

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:02 pm

Just a young kid who had a head rush Biltong!

Pretty stupid but if all Sharpe can offer is goading the opposition nowadays then he can't retire soon enough

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:04 pm

Agree on both counts, but this infuriates me to no end. firstly I hate that rugby has become a game of "outwitting referees, out taunting young players"

the IRB should really consider the guy that starts the whole thing should be banned as well, if you are using it to milk penalties or bans you are as guilty as the guy retaliating in my eyes.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:09 pm

I'm reading that ol' Bakkies may be getting an urgent callup for the clash this week!

Surely there are other players who SA could turn to if only to give them experience? Short Term solutions generally don't help in the long run

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/7648935/Springboks-may-call-on-Bakkies-Botha-for-ABs

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:11 pm

Nah, we want another "thug"
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm

Amazing how often it seems to be locks that take the law into their own hands...???

Ian Evans was behaving like a prize winning meathead in the Ospreys first game vs Treviso and was fortunate to not be banned for his idiotic and pointless behaviour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:33 pm

After seeing that i was surprised he wasn't seeing red to be honest. Contact or not, the intention was there and he should not have played out that game.

How that slipped past all the refs i have no idea. My other half has only caught the rugby bug in the last year, and even she couldn't believe he could get away with that and stay on the field.

Last edited by AlastairW on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speeling)

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:03 pm

I found it really strange that Owens was having a go at Sharpe when this happened

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 10 Sep 2012, 2:58 pm

any one got a link to the incident? I don't remember anything about it at the time, the commentators def didn't mention it .

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 10 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

Didn the whole thing start when SA player shoved Sharp and then Sharp sohved him back? It was at this point that Etzbeth got involved.

But why did he get involved in the first place? coming to the aide of one of his players.

I suppose it was, if you are going to pick on some one, pick on some one your own size mate.

But then again how did owens and lines man not see it?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 10 Sep 2012, 4:13 pm

Biltong wrote:Agree on both counts, but this infuriates me to no end. firstly I hate that rugby has become a game of "outwitting referees, out taunting young players"
the IRB should really consider the guy that starts the whole thing should be banned as well, if you are using it to milk penalties or bans you are as guilty as the guy retaliating in my eyes.

I can only assume you've been following the game for longer than the 20 odd years that I have. I can't recall a time when outwitting the referee and taunting opposition wasn't part of the game...

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 10 Sep 2012, 4:24 pm

Speaking of about foul play:

I thought the inicident near the end that was lauded by Kearnsy and Marto where I think it was AAC put in a tackle on two players warranted a yellow.

You can't tackled the player without the ball. So if you tackle two at once, surely only one can have the ball. Also I thought both, or either hits were very high. He seemed to get Mvovo around the head. The commentators admit it was a try saving tackle, so surely a yellow and consider a penalty try?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Mon 10 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

AlastairW wrote:After seeing that i was surprised he wasn't seeing red to be honest. Contact or not, the intention was there and he should not have played out that game.

Isn't that getting a bit Orwellian! If I intend to hightackle you and miss, should I be sent off? Surely in the moment of contact players are intending to do as much damage to their opponents as possible! Should all mal-intent be penalised then.

Although on the other hand Etzebeth was a fool for being wound up so easily. He should have learned from (was it Steve Thompson) and given old Sharpe a kiss...

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 10 Sep 2012, 6:55 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Speaking of about foul play:

I thought the inicident near the end that was lauded by Kearnsy and Marto where I think it was AAC put in a tackle on two players warranted a yellow.

You can't tackled the player without the ball. So if you tackle two at once, surely only one can have the ball. Also I thought both, or either hits were very high. He seemed to get Mvovo around the head. The commentators admit it was a try saving tackle, so surely a yellow and consider a penalty try?
i did consider those two issues as well, early tackle or high tackle could have been the call.

But it still doesn't solve the real problems we face.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 10 Sep 2012, 6:58 pm

Has Bakkies been playing enough to hold up in this tournament biltong. Havnt seen him play for a while. Currie cup?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:02 pm

No idea Taylorman.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

Isn't he playing in France somewhere?

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:34 pm

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. For me, it didn't look like he was going for the head butt, but rather just trying to intimidate by rushing into Sharpe's face. Maybe I got it wrong but that's how I recalled it. I know sharpe hammed it up, which is not a great look either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

Yeah sharpe did play it up a little...'did you see that mummy'! Looked like what he was screaming out.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:55 pm

Yeah, Sharpe is one of those guys that makes fun of the teacher and then blames his best mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

Sadly it is part of the game and has been all my long experience of RU.So often the player who reacts instead of the instigator is punished.The TMO is there if in doubt consult then BIN BOTH players or penalise the person who started it.In my opinion the worst thing since the amateur days is the cards and citing system.Let them sort it out in the old way with boot or fist not wet nurse them only 2 players were sent from the field in about 75 years both All Blacks.Colin Meads being one.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:37 pm

I actually am pleased that Etzbeth only got one week, it definitely didnt deserve more, however so many of these incidents get sanctions completely out of proportion, plus he was one of the standout young locks in Superxv.

On the Adam Ashley Cooper incident, I thought that was pretty bloody clever.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:47 pm

Biltong wrote:Yeah, Sharpe is one of those guys that makes fun of the teacher and then blames his best mate.

Must have gone to the same school as Steve 'ouch my finger' Ferris.

Although it seems to run in the family for Ozzy locks, Harris was a bit of a shoite as well.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:12 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: I actually am pleased that Etzbeth only got one week, it definitely didnt deserve more, however so many of these incidents get sanctions completely out of proportion, plus he was one of the standout young locks in Superxv.

On the Adam Ashley Cooper incident, I thought that was pretty bloody clever.

Yeah no one was disfigured after that one and AAC looks typical league to me. He'd do well in the NRL I reckon. Lots of aggression and determination and in your face stuff. Not up with the top stars usually but one damn useful player.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm

Biltong wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:Speaking of about foul play:

i did consider those two issues as well, early tackle or high tackle could have been the call.

But it still doesn't solve the real problems we face.

But...if it had been a try instead, perhaps there would be some momentum to play more that style of game, instead of saying how the first 60 minutes was the game plan...maybe he might take the credit for switching game plan...

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:52 am

This was a nothing incident, a bit of gamesmanship and pushing.

Not a good advert for rugby that the lad has been suspended.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:05 am

offload wrote:This was a nothing incident, a bit of gamesmanship and pushing.

Not a good advert for rugby that the lad has been suspended.
Well, the judiciary committee has now set a precendent.

Every swing of an arm that misses is now a citable offence and should carry a two week ban.

After all according to this judgement, it is the intent that counts.

That is if the IRB wants consistency.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:20 am

Mr Fishpaste wrote:
AlastairW wrote:After seeing that i was surprised he wasn't seeing red to be honest. Contact or not, the intention was there and he should not have played out that game.

Isn't that getting a bit Orwellian! If I intend to hightackle you and miss, should I be sent off? Surely in the moment of contact players are intending to do as much damage to their opponents as possible! Should all mal-intent be penalised then.

Although on the other hand Etzebeth was a fool for being wound up so easily. He should have learned from (was it Steve Thompson) and given old Sharpe a kiss...

Good point, but a tackle gone high could be taken in 2 ways - a tackle gone high accidently, or an intentionally dangerous move - both to be penalised appropriatley. A headbutt aimed at another player can't be taken in anyother context, he certainly wasn't going in for a smooch kiss - obviously Sharpe was trash talking, but that was no way to resolve it, there are equally as effective legal ways Wink

... It's always the locks, and i think we now have the spirtual sucessor to Grewcock :p

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:17 am

AlastairW wrote:... It's always the locks, and i think we now have the spirtual sucessor to Grewcock :p
To be fair, I think Jamie Cudmore is the spiritual successor to Mr. Grewcock. Maybe even the next, more advanced (ie. lunatic) version. Etzebeth has a long way to go to be included in that august group, don't you think? But much to aspire to. Practise, practise, practise..........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:23 am

doctor_grey wrote:
AlastairW wrote:... It's always the locks, and i think we now have the spirtual sucessor to Grewcock :p
To be fair, I think Jamie Cudmore is the spiritual successor to Mr. Grewcock. Maybe even the next, more advanced (ie. lunatic) version. Etzebeth has a long way to go to be included in that august group, don't you think? But much to aspire to. Practise, practise, practise..........

Besides, we know who Etzebeth is the successor to.

One Bakkies Botha is "on call" in the event that the Boks lose any more locks ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:27 am

emack2 wrote:Sadly it is part of the game and has been all my long experience of RU.So often the player who reacts instead of the instigator is punished.
Yes it's always been that way as long as I've been watching rugby. The old saying always went 'Don't throw the second punch'.

...consequently most boofheads at my club didn't quite appreciate the meaning of that so they'd go out of their way to throw the first.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:57 pm

I was thinking that Etzebeth should have explained himself thus: that he was merely emphasising his wording with vigorous nodding of the head!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:27 pm

The 20-year-old Etzebeth was banned for two weeks for head-butting Australia lock Nathan Sharpe in Australia’s come-from-behind win last week.

With Etzebeth ruled out until Sept. 24, South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer had put Botha on standby for Saturday’s match after the 32-year-old veteran lock expressed an interest in playing.

But Laporte was quoted as saying Tuesday on the website of sports daily L’Equipe that “Bakkies will wear the Toulon jersey on Friday (against Montpellier) and not the South African one on Saturday.”  Capped 76 times, Botha last played for South Africa at the 2011 World Cup.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:32 pm

Good for Laporte not because Bakkies Botha a special case,but if the idea of you can play in the NH for cash.Then pop back home for test matches catches on bigtime.The rush from the SH would be immense.The current Nz and OZ bans on overseas players is a deterrent it used to be for Boks too.Incidentally those serving in NH called back for the 3Ns did`nt work they were off the pace.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:00 am

I agree, happy to see all Meyer's attempts to bring back Bakkies, Fourie du Preez, Jaques Fourie and even Matfield has not worked out.

We won't move forward with those guys, it will be the death of SA rugby.

Now we just need to get rid of J d Villiers, Zane Kirchner and Morne Steyn.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down