The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paulie: The Smartest GBP Fighter

+6
tunes666
Valero's Conscience
aja424
Rodney
TopHat24/7
davidemore
10 posters

Go down

Paulie: The Smartest GBP Fighter  Empty Paulie: The Smartest GBP Fighter

Post by davidemore Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:39 am

In May of 2010 Paulie Malignaggi took a one sided beating at the hands of the chin man, Amir Khan.

It was a bad night for Paulie, who, if honest, looked a little washed up at world-level.

'He simply doesn't possess power', i thought, watching on as Amir imposed his speed and combo's. 'How will he keep the wolves at bay if he can't hurt them?' I considered as they reached the middle rounds.

Like many others i felt that Paulie might be done after that loss. He was young, skilled and had operated at world-level, using his personality and showmanship to gain a following, but still, without power i felt he was done.

Paulie felt different.

He is obviously a very smart man. Joining GBP and relocating to the west coast is the closest thing you can do to changing your name in boxing. When the brand stops working, change the name (trainer, team, promotional banner, lifestyle). It was a genius move by Paulie.

By signing up to a major promotional company he made himself appear big time at a time when he had really hit rock bottom in his career. He had no power to hurt chinny. How could he continue to get big fights without any power?

By doing what he did. Packing up and moving west. The gold rush, baby.

Once he had settled on the west-coast Paulie picked his fights carefully. And for once GBP didn't chew him up and spit him out, allowing him to rebuild instead of trying to make a fast dollar. Hyping him up, putting him in mismatch fights, forcing him to fight above his weight-class because they messed up a promotion and lost a fighter. Risking him needlessly because deep down they know he wont last much longer (ironically enough, what they did to the man that last beat him, chinny). These are traits of GBP that have made me lose faith in ODLH and fatty Richard.

But Paulie didn't let them do him like that. Paulie is getting as much from them as they are from him, if not more.

He built himself back up on big under cards and against decent opposition. He made his fights about boxing skills (he has them) and not power. He took his time, rethought his training and style. He gradually improved with each fight and then took an opportunity that many thought would cost him. He went into someone else's back yard and schooled them.

Why did everyone doubt this man? He'd done it before.

Now Paulie is going to be fighting in an arena in Brooklyn. A town that knows him, and once he has beaten his next foe an all New Yorker fight beckons with the very beatable Salita. Two more wins in the can and Paulie can call out the big guns, and look forward to one more night in the big leagues.

Well done Pauli "Magic Man" Malignaggi. You beat the system, lets hope that more fighters from GBP open their eyes to what you have achieved over the last two years. Let us hope they take some control over their careers. Think long term and not short term.

Thoughts?

emore

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Paulie: The Smartest GBP Fighter  Empty Re: Paulie: The Smartest GBP Fighter

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:51 am

Is Salita still getting shots?? That bum is one of the worst title contenders (outside of HW) I've ever seen!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 am

Don't think he is fighting Salita, i thought it was The Mexican kid who lost against Morales. Salita is fighting way down on the card unless something has changed, as for Mallignaggi his done well to pick up alphabet title but soon as he challenges anyone half decent he will get beat.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 am

Sorry David just re read your article mate, I hope Salita doesn't beckon that's awful.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 am

Salita is awful, agreed. But he is an incredibly smart move for Paulie if he comes through his next fight. It'll sell, make him money, keep him champion and set him up for yet another crack against a truly world-level opponent in Brooklyn or on the west coast.

Paulie is smart. He deserves success too, massive heart and will.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:02 am

Rodney wrote:Don't think he is fighting Salita, i thought it was The Mexican kid who lost against Morales. Salita is fighting way down on the card unless something has changed, as for Mallignaggi his done well to pick up alphabet title but soon as he challenges anyone half decent he will get beat.

Cheers

Rodders

He won it legit off a decent oppenent tho, and in their backyard, and shockingly by TKO! Throws Brook's WW career into stark contrast. The lad's got 2 fights to secure a World title or the world's going to give up on him - and he doesn't have Paulie's mouth/personality to turn things around!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:04 am

Thank you TopHat!

Brook will be forgotten if he doesn't win his next two. Look how paulie has come and come again, amazing career. A smart man.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 am

Yeah good point Tophat don't get me wrong I give respect to Paulie, I just feel his title is on borrowed time, queue Ricky Hatton.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 am

Paulie could beat today's version of Hatton, IMO.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:14 am

Rodney wrote:Yeah good point Tophat don't get me wrong I give respect to Paulie, I just feel his title is on borrowed time, queue Ricky Hatton.

Cheers

Rodders

Please, god, no. A Hatton come-back would be tragic!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 am

davidemore wrote:Paulie could beat today's version of Hatton, IMO.

He could if we knew what Ricky has left, if Hatton is 75 percent the man he was he'll beat Mallignaggi IMO, he is tailor made for him and slicks tee who gets hit and doesn't carry power.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:24 am

This is a Paulie thread not a Fatty thread. Let Ricky decide on his future.

I'm just relieved he's stopped talking about himself in the third person.

Man he must have been snorting a lot of cane by then.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:26 am

Although he talks too much he speaks it how he see's it, I enjoy listening to Malignaggi, and wish him the best.
If only he had the average amount of power of that of a fringe world level fighter, then he would definately be top 20 pfp at the moment as his speed and heart are immense.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 am

Fair play to Paulie, i've always thought he came across as a likable guy.

Not many people would have gone to Senchenko backyard. This is even more paramount considering 9/10 he wouldn't have got the knockout and must of thought it'll go to points and and very high chance of getting shafted!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:32 am

davidemore wrote:This is a Paulie thread not a Fatty thread. Let Ricky decide on his future.

I'm just relieved he's stopped talking about himself in the third person.

Man he must have been snorting a lot of cane by then.

Do you always have to act like an immature baby in the end?

Hatton is a viable opponent in the future for Mallignaggi, it's relevant.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 am

Rodders he is not viable for anything outside of an AA meeting and a boxing gym.

Hatton is done, so done, it's unbeDONEable.

I like Ricky but the man has addiction issues and a career as a second tier promoter to attend to.

And I wish him the best of luck.

Last edited by davidemore on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:42 am

He has that Tommy from Goodfellas air about him when he talks, just a pity he doesn't 'whack' people as effectively.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:45 am

Lol @ aja. That was clever.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Paulie is a great boxer, just has so little power his opponents knew they could walk through his punches and would not only have a psychological advantage but also make life hard for Paulie as he would have to rely only on trying to outbox and out move everyone. To his credit he has done that allot but when faced against elite fighters it was just too much.

Although now he has gone up a weight, and won by two TKOs, maybe it has brought a little more sting to his punches and helped him. Would be interesting to see how he goes.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Paulie isn't a great boxer.........

Come on....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:02 pm

He is very good TRUSS. Soft handed but good...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:56 am

Much as I don't wish to pour cold water on this Paulie lovefest, his three biggest fights have all ended in fairly one sided beatings. He comes across as a good guy, and is a good fighter, but not a great one. Khan is certainly much better than him, and we give him plenty of criticism

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 am

I would have disagree with you on GBP and Khan. I think GBP did alot for Khan. In my view they gave Khan good fights. Peterson and Garcia were very winnable fights for Khan. When he lost to Peterson narrowly they got him a rematch, when that fell through they got him a very winnable world title fight against Garcia. I couldnt classify a fight between Khan and Garcia as risking Khan needlessly. He was an overwhelming favourite and many (myself included) felt Garcia was perfect for Khan. I didnt get the feeling that Khans pretty contentious loss to Peterson was cause to drop down a level or go into career rebuilding mode. They put him in a fighter he was expected beat and look good against. The same could be said even for the Peterson fight.

I like Malignaggi. Quite funny and pretty honest and blunt. Also surprisingly tough and has alot of heart for a guy that looks like a fashion model. Hes good but not great. Maybe two levels below the really elite guys. I often read that he is slippery and elusive but actually whenever I watch him fight hes fairly easy to hit. I just think people cant believe that a guy who looks and sounds like Malignaggi does could take a good shot so they assume he must be really elusive!

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 am

Maybe Khan is simply not anywhere near elite level? I would have him below Paulie now too to be honest, stuck somewhere between European and World.

He cannot take a punch and isn't smart enough to cover up. Three out of his last five fights have seen him get badly chinned.

He's done now, any top level fighter will know how to hit him and ultimately, KO him.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:21 pm

I'll agree he is smart......

If he was to take his turgid, stinking act into retirement and never bore us all to death again!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Well Khan has beaten Maidana, Kotelnik, Malignaggi and Judah who were all real divisional rivals. I wouldnt have said Peterson and Garcia are much better than that lot and Khan was rated highly in the division. I dont thin hes an elite pound for pound fighter but he belongs in the top 5 or 10 guys in his division. The Peterson fight could have gone either way also. I dont really see the evidence that Khan doesnt belong there. I dont believe hes done at the top level either, at least in terms of being a contender. You have just posted a whole article about how Malignaggi has bounced back. Khans chin may not be great but come on, hes beaten some good fighters and navigated some strong punchers in the past. Hes also quite young. He may not ever reach Mayweather or Pacquaio level but hes not a write off.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:21 am

Khan will never meet those heights, ever. But he's done well with what he has, very well.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:16 am

Khan goes to show that you can have all the talent in the world..

but If you have nothing upstairs... well you'll never reach the heights you should!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:24 am

Interesting. When Khan held on to Maidana for dear life he was criticised and some here said the ref should have DQ's him or deducted points.

When he fights back, some here say he's not clever and he should hold. Personally its instinctive. Khan's stones are bigger than his brains. Hearns held on like the other fighter was his lover. Khan should do the same.

When he comes back, I wonder what his confidence will be like? Will he try and mix it up knowing he has chin issues. I reckon him standing up to the Maidana punches gave him a false sense of security and confidence in his chin (well his chin seems fine, its his temple and neck that is questionable).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:55 am

Don't think his stones are bigger....

Just that his instinct a la Holyfield means when he gets hit he throws punches back and leaves himself wide open!!

The same way Bruno stood motionless with his hands down and Holmes and Ali held on till there heads cleared.....

He'll mix it because there is no hope he can change..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:04 am

I don't know if that is entirely accurate given the had Maidana in a headlock in round 10. I thought he was going to do a running bulldog.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:26 am

Khan is skilled, dedicated and in boxing terms, stone stupid in the head. But a lovely guy. Good luck to him. I'll shout for him to win when he rumbles next!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down