The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray - The Belief And The Relief

+3
reckoner
carrieg4
CaledonianCraig
7 posters

Go down

Andy Murray - The Belief And The Relief Empty Andy Murray - The Belief And The Relief

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:00 pm

First up a warm and hearty congratulations to Andy Murray on joining the exclusive club of slam winners - thought I'd type that in to hope it will start to sink in.

Being an avid Andy Murray fan since he first burst on the scene as a scrawny kid I have followed his career intensely and often defended him on various forums such as BBC 606, My Tennis Lounge, Tennis.com, The Murray Maniacs Monopodium, ja606 and of course here at 606v2. It has been tough listening to him being rubbished and written off and maintaining belief that he would finally get there has been tough. My belief was kept alive by his sheer bloody-mindedness as even though he took many painful defeats he bounced back for more and that takes massive dedication and guts - a quality I've always admired. Andy's belief is one thing that really held him back as he lacked that real inner belief that he could do it but that came eventually and now e will be over-dosing on self-belief. As for the relief will one poster (CAS I think it was) summed it up well as to how I feel - sheer relief more than anything else mixed obviously with elation and great pride.

I would like to think that my defence of Andy has been justified but I really do feel I did it in a not over the top way as I have criticised various aspects of Andy's game myself that needed improving. I have often been asked why I support him and yes him being Scottish was the initial draw but it really does go much deeper than that. He displays traits I greatly admire - his determination, dedication and guts laced with an ability to do the unexpected is superb. He wins points he shouldn't but also loses points he should win and how many people here gave Andy a chance when he blew his two set lead last night? I know I felt it wasn't to be going into the fifth set and neither did the pundits considering he was playing the toughest competitor on the tennis circuit. But guess what? He proved everyone wrong again by turning it around and winning the final set - that puts paid to this nonsense that he is a bottler, choker etc etc. Andy Murray you are now amongst the big boys undeniably and irrefutably. Isn't the world great just now?

Craig
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray - The Belief And The Relief Empty Re: Andy Murray - The Belief And The Relief

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:10 pm

clap Bubbly

I think you and Banbro more than anyone deserve to share in the success that was Murray finally winning that elusive Slam. You both kept that strong belief and has proven to be more than justified.

Let's hope there are more days like this. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray - The Belief And The Relief Empty Re: Andy Murray - The Belief And The Relief

Post by carrieg4 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:15 pm

clap

Still waiting for it to sink in too. Just been watching some of the old stuff from 04/05 on the bbc website to remind myself of the skinny kid I first saw play (on tv) at Queens 7 years ago and how far he has come. It has been one heck of a bumpy ride but well worth it.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:16 pm

WTG Craig - you must be on cloud 9!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:19 pm

carrieg4 wrote: clap

Still waiting for it to sink in too. Just been watching some of the old stuff from 04/05 on the bbc website to remind myself of the skinny kid I first saw play (on tv) at Queens 7 years ago and how far he has come. It has been one heck of a bumpy ride but well worth it.

It makes you smile when you see how far he has come clap

Annoyed at Sky for cutting the last set out!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:32 pm

clap

Reminds me of myself Craig. I've been watching Murray since..... I don't even know when. As long as I can remember; indeed I remember a bit of that heartbreaking loss to Nalbandian at Wimbledon. He's always had the talent, he just needed a bit of polishing and the belief. He has both now and I actually think he can improve a bit more.

However, even if Murray goes on to win many more majors, there's 1 thing I will always remember about him, including where I was, where I was sitting and who I was with, it's this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7482478.stm
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:11 pm

That video encapsulates a lot of wehy Murray has his fans. The ability to pull off the unbelievable shot or win a point when all is seemingly lost.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:29 pm

Sky is really the limit for Murray now. He has the beating of Fed, Rafa and Nole any day (bar Rafa on clay), but now he can go in believing he can.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:04 pm

Good for you, really. clap
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

So CC, will you be updating your profile picture? chin

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:02 pm

I became a big fan of Andy once when he lost to RF in Wimbledon, I liked his attitude and knew very well his time will come and when it comes he will hold onto it with iron hands.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:16 pm

Good to see you back IC Hug

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:19 pm

Thx Carriege4, its my pleasure to be back. Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:21 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:So CC, will you be updating your profile picture? chin

I wouldn't have thought so. I mean the image size is so small it is unnoticable anyway.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:33 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:So CC, will you be updating your profile picture? chin

I wouldn't have thought so. I mean the image size is so small it is unnoticable anyway.

I think you should Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:48 pm

I tend to take a wider view of British tennis, and at the moment if you take away Murray the mens british tennis is in a terrible state. Let's hope the current crop of juniors are able to make a decent transition to senior level.

I have been persuaded after discussions with Lydian of the imperative to get as many clay courts here in the UK as possible as part of the junior development programme.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down