The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jurie Roux: "It is unrealistic that SARU can keep all the top talent in SA"

+6
HammerofThunor
DaveM
SecretFly
emack2
Taylorman
Biltong
10 posters

Go down

Jurie Roux: "It is unrealistic that SARU can keep all the top talent in SA" Empty Jurie Roux: "It is unrealistic that SARU can keep all the top talent in SA"

Post by Biltong Thu 13 Sep 2012, 6:45 pm

Courtesy of Supersport.

It is an “unrealistic expectation” to think that the South African Rugby Union can keep all its top talent in this country, Saru Chief Executive Jurie Roux told supersport.com.

After a season where both Ireland and Scotland have targeted rising talent to play in their local leagues with a view of qualifying for the country, Roux reacted to the latest spate of signings which could well see South Africans qualify for their adopted countries ahead of the 2015 World Cup.

This week former Lions captain Josh Strauss became the latest departure to Glasgow with a view of qualifying for Scotland.

Later this year, another two South Africans – former Cheetah Richardt Strauss and former WP No 8 Robbie Diack will qualify to play for Ireland and could well face the Springboks in November on their end-of-year tour.

Ireland have adopted a policy of searching out top young talent to place with Irish provinces, and who are financially assisted by the Irish Rugby Union.

Bulls flanker CJ Stander was the first such player to sign this year, and has professed to be unable to turn down the massive financial offer he was given to go to Ireland.

Other than the former SA under-20 captain, WP winger Danie Poolman has also been lured to Ireland, as has lock Quinn Roux, although the latter’s agents insist he will return to the Stormers next year to continue his development there.

There have been others, with Lion Jacobie Adriaanse and Kings lock Johan Snyman both signing for the Scarletts in Wales and former Cheetahs tighthead WP Nel currently with Edinburgh and also eyeing a qualification for Scotland later this year.

While player movement abroad is nothing new to South Africans, especially in a professional era, there is a growing concern that the Home Unions are systematically targeting young South African talent, using the lure of the Pound and Euro, as mechanisms to have them qualify for the said country.

Australia has also sent scouts to schools weeks in South Africa, and has, on a lesser level, tried to recruit young South African talent. In addition to this, former Springbok coach Jake White is currently searching for a lock to contract to the Brumbies with a view to playing for Australia in the next few years.

Despite this, Saru CEO Jurie Roux believes the danger is not as apparent and says is it unrealistic to expect a country such as South Africa to keep all its talent.

“It would be preferable to keep all players in SA but that is an unrealistic expectation as we actually have more talented players than our market can bear the cost of,” Roux told supersport.com.

“But we have also had success in our policy of keeping overseas-based players in the Springbok mix and they have returned home in due course, rather than extending overseas contracts.

"Players who do not earn selection for the Junior Springboks and go overseas may have aspirations to play international rugby for other nations but, during that qualification period, the Springbok coach would also have the option of selecting them if they were thought good enough to reach Springbok standard.”

Saru has rather opted to nominate the SA under-20 side as the “second side” – thereby ensuring that any player who plays at that level, is automatically frozen and can’t qualify for another international team.

Roux says in any case, the results of young players heading overseas have been “patchy”.

“Young players going overseas to make a career and play international rugby are not a new phenomenon and, to be fair, the results have been patchy. It’s probably the players who went to over there for a life experience and to play rugby – such as Mike Catt and Pieter de Villiers – who are the ones to have made a success of it.

“The club market will drive the movement of players and New Zealand has had some success in retaining players such as Carter and McCaw by central contracting, but it is not a ‘magic bullet’ and many, many more have taken their chances overseas, most recently Sonny Bill Williams.

"This year we have nominated the SA Under-20 team as our second ranked national team, which means those players’ futures are tied to the Springboks.”

In the end it seems we may lose some players, and some countries may well succeed when investing in South African youth.
But if Saru’s new selection structures do their job – with the same selection policies from junior to Springbok level – then that loss will be minimised, and Bok rugby continue to reap the fruits of local talent for years to come.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Jurie Roux: "It is unrealistic that SARU can keep all the top talent in SA" Empty Re: Jurie Roux: "It is unrealistic that SARU can keep all the top talent in SA"

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:13 pm

I know the one thing that keeps many players in NZ...playing for less.. is the success and privileges of being an AB. Part of keeping the players is obviously to have an inspirational team at the top. Goosen, lambie etc will get sick of the treatment they get if they continue to be ignored and will head where the grass is greener.

Same with the u20s- amongst themselves they'll be disheartened by the bok situation at the moment. Meyer needs to take responsibility for the impact his team is having on the growth of rugby in SA.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Jurie Roux: "It is unrealistic that SARU can keep all the top talent in SA" Empty Re: Jurie Roux: "It is unrealistic that SARU can keep all the top talent in SA"

Post by emack2 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

It rather depends on your point of view does`nt it SA players know at least in theory.The can follow the money and still be capped by the Boks,the theory is good.It just does`nt work in practice,A teams like Junior Boks played in tournaments like the churchill cup.That is no longer the practice,in OZ and NZ the line is drawn.Stay maybe and be capped or go for money,off course if you are capped you have a better Cv.A test player is better than a club/Super player in the market place.Incidentally Bok players recalled from the Nh clubs have nearly always been a disaster.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Sep 2012, 8:14 pm

Not really a point of view. By staying in SA I mean fully committing to the advancement of rugby in S A as opposed to going where the money is. Anyone who goes to NH club rugby doesn't fall into that category...they have 'sold their soul' and the cake and have it too approach is not what I'm meaning here.

If the ABs were told they were available for selection as ABs there would be movement but there would also be those who would stay. Some players know what is right and wrong and our experience is there is no better place in the world to play rugby than at home.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 13 Sep 2012, 8:32 pm

What you are forgetting Taylorman is that we ave a much bigger number of rugby players available in relation to our number of professional teams, so players like Josh Strauss could feel hard done by that they are overlooked after a good few years, hence they oeave, others don't get to the "money pit" in SA because there are so many more players than spots available.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep 2012, 8:36 pm

Ireland.... first New Zealand then South Africa. Always the ones primarily mentioned.

I don't have patience for the stat collections but could someone come up with how many South African play in Ireland, how many play in England and how many play in France? Why does Ireland pick up the flack from these worried officals down south.

England International team has already/or did have three or four South African born players already on their team.

But they're different, I assume. It's the little guys we don't like stealing our boys.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:10 pm

I read the other day England has had 10 South Africans represented in their national team since 2000
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:14 pm

Here is a quick list I got from wiki

Since the readmission of South Africa to international rugby, its rugby talent has migrated across the world. There are many high profile South Africans who, through residence or ancestry, are representing or have previously represented other countries. Players of note are:
Hendre Fourie, Matt Stevens, Stuart Abbott, Nick Abendanon, Brad Barritt, Mouritz Botha and Mike Catt for England
Clyde Rathbone, Daniel Vickerman and Tiaan Strauss for Australia
Brian Liebenberg and Pieter de Villiers for France
Carlo Del Fava and Quintin Geldenhuys for Italy
Rhys Thomas for Wales
Greg Rawlinson for New Zealand
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:20 pm

Biltong wrote:I read the other day England has had 10 South Africans represented in their national team since 2000

You see...but rather than ruffle English RFU feathers (one of the habitual big hitters, if not on performance certanly on money etc) the officials from South Africa and New Zealand are suddenly concerned that Ireland are stealing. If it's a general European thing then make it so and stop mentioning a specific country.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

I think you're taking it a little too literally, Roux mentions players to a number of nations not only Ireland.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:27 pm

Biltong wrote:What you are forgetting Taylorman is that we ave a much bigger number of rugby players available in relation to our number of professional teams, so players like Josh Strauss could feel hard done by that they are overlooked after a good few years, hence they oeave, others don't get to the "money pit" in SA because there are so many more players than spots available.

Possibly, but last count there were 15 players in a national side so by that count we have far too many professionals as well. But our players only go when they've little to no chance of making the AB's. SA players like F Steyn, like to have their cake and eat it, and more often than not it has shown in his performances.

The best preparation for Bok test matches is certainly not playing UK club rugby surely.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:32 pm

SecretFly wrote:
I don't have patience for the stat collections but could someone come up with how many South African play in Ireland, how many play in England and how many play in France? Why does Ireland pick up the flack from these worried officals down south.

England International team has already/or did have three or four South African born players already on their team.

But they're different, I assume. It's the little guys we don't like stealing our boys.

I think the clue is in the quote:

'Ireland have adopted a policy of searching out top young talent to place with Irish provinces, and who are financially assisted by the Irish Rugby Union.'

The IRFU have an active policy of seeking out young South Africans, where-as the RFU certainly do not and most of the South Africans who played for England have come over for other reasons and just worked their way in. Botha is the prime example - dropped well down the pyramid, but gradually improved his game and eventually ended up at a top club and playing for England.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:36 pm

Biltong wrote:I think you're taking it a little too literally, Roux mentions players to a number of nations not only Ireland.

Ireland gets the major prod Biltong..just like the last time when New Zealand were worried about us. Better to cloud your worries and not directly goad England...so skirt around for a target you don't mind mentioning.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:41 pm

DaveM wrote:

The IRFU have an active policy of seeking out young South Africans, where-as the RFU certainly do not and most of the South Africans who played for England have come over for other reasons and just worked their way in. Botha is the prime example - dropped well down the pyramid, but gradually improved his game and eventually ended up at a top club and playing for England.

There's a comment for that..you can guess it...it starts with bull. What you mean is that the IRFU are honest and that the RFU do things smarter...they always have and it's why we've yet to blood our SAs and England..well, they're well down the road. They're ahead of us in practical terms and therefore, whether it's a policy by the IRFU or whether it's SAs going to England on holiday and staying..England are a bigger target for SA concerns than we are. Big target, go aim at it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:42 pm

Ah well, I didn't see it that way, but then I am not irish. For me the important aspect there is our players invloved in our U20 squad is now off limits, Jake White suggested earlier in the year an active program from a university in Oz to give bursaries to young players to play rugby in Oz with the hope of getting them to play for Oz, so by naming our U20 team as our second team at least we can keep the best young ones.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:46 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Biltong wrote:What you are forgetting Taylorman is that we ave a much bigger number of rugby players available in relation to our number of professional teams, so players like Josh Strauss could feel hard done by that they are overlooked after a good few years, hence they oeave, others don't get to the "money pit" in SA because there are so many more players than spots available.

Possibly, but last count there were 15 players in a national side so by that count we have far too many professionals as well. But our players only go when they've little to no chance of making the AB's. SA players like F Steyn, like to have their cake and eat it, and more often than not it has shown in his performances.

The best preparation for Bok test matches is certainly not playing UK club rugby surely.
Well you have to admit our situation is a tad different than yours, we have quotas or should I say "unofficial quotas" so some players when looking at the province or national team sees a path blocked then they have added reason to go.

Ultimately a player who is good enough wants to earn a living and when politics prevent him from achieving that he will seek employment elsewhere.

As far as Frans Steyn is concerned, it is what it is.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:01 pm

Biltong wrote:Ah well, I didn't see it that way, but then I am not irish. For me the important aspect there is our players invloved in our U20 squad is now off limits, Jake White suggested earlier in the year an active program from a university in Oz to give bursaries to young players to play rugby in Oz with the hope of getting them to play for Oz, so by naming our U20 team as our second team at least we can keep the best young ones.

And a good move it is, biltong...and I applaud it. We have our mechanisms for trying to keep our players in the country and overall, it's pretty successful. I'm not in favour of the IRFU's policy of finding outside players to perhaps (after they do their legal time in the country) take up positions that Ireland have difficulty filling. I don't actually think the IRFU like the situation either (going back to the policy of keeping as many young players of our own in Ireland)...but the truth is, there probably is an imperative there for a few years as we try to find and create more of the kind of players we'll need for this 21st century. If we can get our own 'factory' up and running, I think that's the longterm ideal of IRFU.

But yes, I have no problem with SA putting into force methods to keep their own young and promising players in their own country.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:08 pm

SecretFly wrote:
There's a comment for that..you can guess it...it starts with bull. What you mean is that the IRFU are honest and that the RFU do things smarter...they always have and it's why we've yet to blood our SAs and England..well, they're well down the road. They're ahead of us in practical terms and therefore, whether it's a policy by the IRFU or whether it's SAs going to England on holiday and staying..England are a bigger target for SA concerns than we are. Big target, go aim at it.

Maybe you could name names, in terms of who the RFU have targetted, and explain how they have done it in practice?

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm

SecretFly wrote:Ireland.... first New Zealand then South Africa. Always the ones primarily mentioned.

I think the reason for the difference is that the Provinces bringing over young South Africans are controlled and owned by the IRFU. The IRFU also have 'slots' available for non-Irish players who may qualify for Ireland one day.

In England, however, the organisations bringing players over are independent clubs that RFU can't control (or put any limits on South African players due to Kolpak, or something like that), the RFU does not distinguish between different types of NEQ players, the only players to represent England from South Africa who qualified by residency was Botha, who moved to play amateur rugby at Bedford Athletic and Henry Fourie, who moved to Championship side Rotherham.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:12 am

Biltong we have a similar problem. We possibly lose considerably more players, it's just at different stages of development.

The biggest loss is probably between 18-20 when players leave school and look for contracts. A significant number of players go to rugby league and overseas (e.g. Australia).

The next faze is early 20's when players go because they can't see themselves making the grade. Many with Island parentage will use their heritage to work in Europe.

Then there's the loss of players who have started families and need to spend time with them and develop a nest egg. Not easy to do when you are constantly moving between IPC and super 15 franchises and spend your time traveling 1/2 way around the world to games.

Lastly there's the retirement package. When players realise they aren't going to make the All Blacks or are retiring from the All Blacks.

The last 2 are the most obvious and talked about. But the loss of young players in large numbers is significant. For instance this years under 20 side was pretty weak due to losses to league. I suspect the same might be true of Australia, which may go someway to explain their recent loss in form at under 20 level.

Anyway it's probably only the efficiency of the local system that keeps us competitive.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:30 am

And if you look at just our warriors under 20's having topped the table its full of budding rugby stars who have gone over to league...

http://www.warriors.co.nz/nycplayerprofiledisplay/Warriors-NYC/Braxton%20Stanley/5608

Bio: DOB: 22 May, 1994 (18)
Braxton is another rugby union signing, his father Martin being a former Auckland player, his uncle Joe an All Black legend. An age-group union representative, he’s doing a diploma in sports and recreation. He was educated at Auckland Grammar School, where he played in school's First XV.

This is a player steeped in rugby tradtion, including AB 'legends' as close family. Get to this age and theyre off... this is hurting both Auckland and NZ rugby big time...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:54 am

Taylorman wrote: ... F Steyn, like to have their cake and eat it ...
Laugh never a truer and funnier line said

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:50 am

SecretFly wrote:
DaveM wrote:

Not really...

The Irish provinces are owned by the IRFU while the English clubs are privately owned.

I think you're taking this way too personally.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:35 am

Rhys Thomas for Wales, that's a bit pedantic. Welsh name, Welsh father, lived in Wales for more than half his life...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:41 am

Wiki had Ian evans on there as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down