The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What makes me very happy about the state of the men's game

4 posters

Go down

What makes me very happy about the state of the men's game Empty What makes me very happy about the state of the men's game

Post by socal1976 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:40 am

I felt like doing a positive post on the tennis and the events that we have witnessed the last few months. Personally, I have been a witness to some incredible tennis in my young life and I have to be thankful to all the great champions of the past that have thrilled me with their talents. But this current tennis we are seeing and the champions at the top right now I think are doing the game proud, all of them. When I think about the problems that a lot of athletes and sports are having it seems that tennis especially when it comes to the big 4 must be doing something right. Now don't get me wrong of course there are tennis players doping, or who are unsavory, or whatever else. But overrall when even compared to the problems Tiger has had in golf or what has gone on in football or major american sports I see that the big stars in tennis are pretty much pretty decent guys or at least they comport themselves very properly. Frankly, if I was as young and as rich as these guys I probably would get into a lot more trouble. For one thing the tennis stars we have at the top whether it be Fed, Nadal, Murray, or Djoko have comported themselves extremely well. This was a sport that at one time boasted an elite player who put a tennis racquet handle between his legs and gestured towards a fan like hey buddy suck on this. Or where a guy flicked off the fans or attacked a table of orange sports drink because it looked at him the wrong way. Don't get me wrong in a way I also mourn the loss of the tennis diva. But now I think it is time to look at what we have.

Overall the top 4 guys in particular with fed and Nadal in the lead have done a wonderful job to grow the game and engage the fans. And it isn't just about the public relations aspect of it either. What these players have brought to the court in their hunger in their engagement and focus in the battle for so long is truely unique. People laughed when Djoko went gluten free and jumped into an egg chamber. I wasn't laughing I thought it showed the level of commitment that he showed to carve his body into a lethal ballstriking and chasing machine.

Look at Murray he battled with carrying the hopes of a nation on his shoulders in his teens and twenties. And despite failing time and again in slam finals and being publically rebuked by people that frankly where not one tenth the tennis talent he was must have rubbed him wrong. But he never got surely he never let the he hates english nonsense consume him. The way his second serve and forehand looked at the open shows a man who knows what he has to do to get the top and put in the hours to solidify weaknesses.

And of course there is fed and Nadal great players who have carried the game. But the cubbord behind them despite what people say is not bare. Nadal despite two terribly cursed knees and a series of leg problems has fought to 11 slams and has answered every challenge. His battle and never say die attitude has inspired many millions. Because of Nadal tennis is probably the second biggest sport in spain now and generations of spanish youngsters are dreaming of flexing their muscles on the clay.

Fed is last but of course not least. Has any man carried a sport as elegantly, and with class and decorum like federer. A family man, a man of charity but on the court his opponents must feel like they are the terminator as he can attack them in so many ways. And at 31 he has maintained much, but of course not all of the splendor that he possesses.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

What makes me very happy about the state of the men's game Empty Re: What makes me very happy about the state of the men's game

Post by User 774433 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 8:46 am

clap

User 774433

Back to top Go down

What makes me very happy about the state of the men's game Empty Re: What makes me very happy about the state of the men's game

Post by carrieg4 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:15 am

clap

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:10 am

This is a review of the top four, who are an exemplary group to lead the sport.

"The game", though, is a far broader concept than these four men and includes such aspects as young talent. This is a factor which looks in a poorer state than any time I can recall in the last 40 years.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:27 am

I get the impression that tennis is at least a middle to higher class sport. Or a sport that requires so much dedication and routine from a young age, that the individuals involved are pretty well in control of themselves and faculties when engaging with the outside world.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:30 am

Nore Staat wrote:I get the impression that tennis is at least a middle to higher class sport. Or a sport that requires so much dedication and routine from a young age, that the individuals involved are pretty well in control of themselves and faculties when engaging with the outside world.
True, it's never been inhabited by football type idiots.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 4:16 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I get the impression that tennis is at least a middle to higher class sport. Or a sport that requires so much dedication and routine from a young age, that the individuals involved are pretty well in control of themselves and faculties when engaging with the outside world.

Yes but that hasn't always been the case look Nore look at Capriati, hell look at early Agassi or Connors. It is a sport that has more than its fair share of crazed champions. In some ways I miss the hatred connors and Mac brought to the tennis court, I mean there was a sort of purity in the competition in the 70s and 80s. But you are correct in some ways tennis is a sport that requires a high level of focus, repetition, and taking care of your body responsibly and the players come from a middle class background for the most part. Still I think that what you are talking about is an important plus for tennis and that those running the game really need to highlight these positive aspects.

Thanks for the applause Carrie and IMBL. We really are blessed to witness not only 4 great tennis players but 4 classy guys that have so far in their careers have hardly missed a step. College American football is a huge sport in the states a breeding ground for the NFL, and a college football team is like a small army with its own band, cheerleaders, retinue of coaches and trainers, and nearly 80 players on a team. A few years back Louisiana State one of the biggest traditional programs an expose was written about their players it seems that LSU football comprised entirely of men from 18-23 years old had fathered close to 150 children out of wedlock. Novak, Roger, Andy, and Nadal haven't even changed a girlfriend in the last few years. I mean I know this outside the lines of the game but to me it is very refreshing.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down