The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jordan Williams Have the Scarlets done it again

+5
SubsBench
youngguns6
Casartelli
thebluesmancometh
dragonbreath
9 posters

Go down

Jordan Williams Have the Scarlets done it again Empty Jordan Williams Have the Scarlets done it again

Post by dragonbreath Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:42 pm

The young Scarlets fullback looks to be another very talented player off the Scarlets production line. What a showing on debut. His ability to stand a player up and skip around them reminded me of Israel Dagg. I shall watch the young mans progress, he certainly seems to have something unique to bring to the table and it will be interesting to see how much game time he gets with Liam Williams also in the squad. Will Simon Easterby have the nerve to play the youngster in pressure games. They are doing well at the moment, and it is easier to take risks when nobody expects anything of you.

Even on this admitedly early showing he would seem to have the rare ability to beat a man with ease, a skill that could make him a game changer, a player who will win you a game out of nothing. I thought the same when I saw George in his first game, this boy has it too in my opinion.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Jordan Williams Have the Scarlets done it again Empty Re: Jordan Williams Have the Scarlets done it again

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:47 pm

He's only 18, he hasn't even been picked to play for the U20's yet but there's no doubt he's a superb talent. We've been calling him the wonderkid all last season. He's usually metranomic with the boot too, great feet, bags of pace and not all that suspect in defence either.

Think we'll play him in a few games this season, probs mostly in the international period but all the signs are pointing to him being a v v good player.

Back to top Go down

Jordan Williams Have the Scarlets done it again Empty Re: Jordan Williams Have the Scarlets done it again

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Isn't he a bit of a softy when push comes to shove though, as in you wouldn't want him isolated one on one defencively as he has a tendancy to fall off tackles. (from what Ive heard anyway)

Going forward he looks superb, he may get a bit of gametime if Liam Williams is selected for the int squad, and if he isn't i'd look forward to seeing him out wide with Williams offload game to play off.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:08 pm

he's alright defensively although apparently he can have an off day if it's raining! not good when he plays his rugby out west laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:15 pm

He left that Connacht player tackling thin air - but maybe a tad early to be making Israel Dagg comparisons???

He looks about a foot shorter than the world cup winning All Black, for a start.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Both wear yellow boots though don't they? besides I don't rate Dagg that highly anyway!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 pm

I'd normaly have a pop saying why big up players so early when they haven't proved anything but he's a Scarlets 15. He's probably going to be quality.. He will also be over taken in 3 years by the next one.
Christ if only us Gwent clubs had kept up our tradition of front row players we would all be happy!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:22 am

youngguns6 wrote:I'd normaly have a pop saying why big up players so early when they haven't proved anything but he's a Scarlets 15. He's probably going to be quality.. He will also be over taken in 3 years by the next one.
Christ if only us Gwent clubs had kept up our tradition of front row players we would all be happy!

The rest of Wales would have been happy too if we had the VietGwent to call upon.

As for Jordan, he looks very promising but it's far too early to make predictions. Give him a bit of game time and see how he developes.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:45 am

I've been excited to see what he can do for a season, but it is early days and he'll have a tough time getting the 15 (or even back 3!) shirt off Liam/Stodds or the 10 shirt off Priestland - but then I don't like bigging up youngsters before they've had a chance (it usually leads to crucifying them the 1st mistake they make), but I do expect Jordan to be a first teamer in some position in the next 2 seasons.

Dreamer - I thought Jordan had played in the JWC on the wing and FB?

Ahh for the VietGwent...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 am

Jordan is a good player and has been talked about on here and the old 606 as a kid.

That said I would not get over excited. The Scarlets have had a number of other young players that looked like thedogs danglers when they started off and then ended up being relitive unkowns, Martyn Thomas, Dan Evans, Darren Daniel etc
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:59 am

God yeah, I remember Darren Daniel being bigged up and he was looking v good at one (with Gavin Evans in the team as well), and then he got superseeded by the next batch of youngsters and went to Bristol, never to be heard of again...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Aye but Jordan's been something special for a couple of seasons now with Llanelli.

Priest - I'm pretty sure he didn't go, you aren't thinking of Owen Williams are you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Maybe it isn't Daniels I'm thinking of, but it isn't Owen Williams - I'm sure I remember one of our backs (centre?) going to Bristol around 3-4 years ago. I was looking on the Scarlets website trying to locate the name, but couldn't but it's mad to see how much the team have changed in the last 3-4 years - we had a team with players like Ceirion Thomas, Rob Higgitt, Nathan Brew, Daf James & Darren Daniels in our backs, while Stodds and Jon Davies had just come through to play with Mark Jones, Regan King and Sililio Martens

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Darren Daniel is now running his own Gas/Heating company back in Burry Port. Not sure if he is playing rugby but I see his van on a regular basis in the area.

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Really, didn't realise that! When i was researching him, he went to the Quins after the Scarlets. It's a shame as he was quite good from what I remember of him for the Scarlets.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Although the 1st three rounds have not been the best for welsh regions, they still seem to be doing their bit for the national cause. Aswell as Jordan Williams, rhys Patchell (blues) and Jonathon Evans ( dragons scrum half) also look like future internationals in the making.

What is worrying however is that if the top 6 only qualify for europe from the rabo direct in the future, will these young players still be given their opportunities or will the regions use the bt bribe money to sign up foreign talent.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:51 pm

The 1st 3 rounds have been wonderful for this Welsh region, ta Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am

Scrumdown wrote:Although the 1st three rounds have not been the best for welsh regions, they still seem to be doing their bit for the national cause. Aswell as Jordan Williams, rhys Patchell (blues) and Jonathon Evans ( dragons scrum half) also look like future internationals in the making.

What is worrying however is that if the top 6 only qualify for europe from the rabo direct in the future, will these young players still be given their opportunities or will the regions use the bt bribe money to sign up foreign talent.

With the potential loss of HEC earnings, maybe clubs won't be able to afford foreign imports - but its a good point about maybe not wanting to risk playing the youngsters. Though a lot of these youngsters have been given gametime because of a lack of squad depth rather than just giving youth experience for experiences sake - I think that's what the point the critics of the Rabo miss, even if the qualication to the HEC was totally changed, the Irish internationals wouldn't play more (because of the IRU rules), and youngsters would still be given gametime - either like J Evans at the Dragons, because there isn't anyone else fit) or because the squads need to be rotated to protect against player burn out.

So I'd hope it doesn't make that much of a change, otherwise it could create lots of negative, heavily defensive teams with big plodding players.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down