The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your favourite of all time

+13
NickisBHAFC
Aaronb33
Nakatomi Plaza
VDT
Ché Guerrero
Kay Fabe
Don Caboose
Liam
Miz NG
nasisillmatic
Oakdene
MIG
Stonee21
17 posters

Go down

Your favourite of all time Empty Your favourite of all time

Post by Guest Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm

Things are a bit slow on here and it's a bit of fun to get to know people a bit better.

Who is your favourite wrestler of all time???

Mine is Scott Steiner purely because I find the promo's hilarious to watch!

Back to top Go down

Your favourite of all time Empty Re: Your favourite of all time

Post by Stonee21 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm

Shawn Michaels.

Always have been a massive Shawn mark, he was hilarious during the early DX days and I used to love his heel actions like sticking the Canadian flag up his nose. The after he came back from his back injury I started to notice just how good the guy was at making you believe everything was real and just how much better he was then most of the roster when it came to in ring. The guy had it all and I still can't believe he only had 4 reigns with the top strap, I know he wanted to put people over more and he didn't need the title to look good but surely the greatest of all time (or one of for those that don't agree) deserves to have more WWE/WHC reigns then 4 when you consider the amount that others have clocked up who have nothing on HBK.

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm

Really difficult one this.

Rock is a contender. He got me into wrestling (at a late age!) and I supported him like wrestling was real in the early days and everything he did was amazing. Great charisma, fast paced ring style. The most electrifying man is spot on for him imo.

But.....when it comes to putting on an amazing match I don't think Shawn Michaels can be beaten. Add the dx stuff in.....

I'd say the both of them are my joint favourites of all time.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:26 pm

The Undertaker.

Ive been into wrestling since I was 8 or 9 & I remember I was living in Germany at the time. I had never seen wrestling before going to a live show with a friend in the Deutscheland Halle in Berlin & I thought I would be bored. We had amazing seats & I enjoyed it...then came the bell tolls & the lights dropped. Shivers went down my spine & I still get goosebumps thinking about it, I was in awe as I watched this vison of blackness come down the arena ramp & without a word he had the whole audience in the palm of his hand.

I think of all the mind games he has played with WWF/WWE superstars in the past, including when he lost a casket match & there was a pyro trick to represent his soul leaving his body & floating up towards the roof of the arena.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:40 pm

Stone Cold Steve Austin.

He was the only reason I kept watching through the latter part of 96, then came 97-01 and he was at the front of the best era of wrestling for me.

I cried at WM17 when he turned heel.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz NG Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:14 pm

I don't have one specific favourite of all time, I have two!

Mr Perfect
Great to watch in the ring, took some serious bumps and his work on the mic - whether promo or as a commentator - was excellent. He could make any opponent look better than they actually were.

Bret Hart
While his mic work wasn't his strong point, he was an excellent wrestler and I liked the fact that he was pretty much being himself. Like Mr Perfect, he could make any wrestler look fantastic in a match and his selling was totally believable. He could tell a fantastic story in the ring.

Miz NG

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:34 pm

2 for me also:

Brock Lesnar:

Loved the guy. In his 2 years in the WWE when on SD he was just in a different league. Raw power mixed with excellent in ring ability, great finisher, could sell well and just had me hooked. Marked out when he returned like never before. He genuinely is one of these guys who I could watch in any match and any time, the guy is just a beast.

The Rock:

No reasons needed really other than he got me into wrestling and i've been a fan ever since. Everything he did was his own, he was completely separate to anything in the business at the time and his feud with Austin is for me the greatest rivalry in wrestling history. Haven't enjoyed him anywhere near as much since he returned but still love it when he comes back.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:12 pm

Sting

I used to watch WCW on ITV on Saturday afternoons when i was a young lad. Sting easily the guy to get behind. He was colourful, a good guy and very entertaining to watch in the ring.

Then after it stopped broadcasting around 1994/95 I did not get a chance to watch wrestling again until 1997 when he was on his full on Crow-esque hunt of the nWo. He had completely changed character but was now a quiet badass and his darker character reflected my own development into a teenage metal head.

I wasn't a WWF guy until Summerslam 1998 and even then I watched anything Sting was involved in be it WCW, WWA or TNA. The fact that he has never sold out to McMahon makes him even more legendary in my eyes.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:06 pm

The Macho Man Randy Savage

For me he's simply the best all round talent that ever worked

He might not have been as good technically as Bret Hart or Chris Beniot, he might not have had as big an intensity as the Warrior or Austin, he might not have been as charasmatic as Rock or Hogan but for me he was a good 8/10 at absolutely everything, there was nothing he wasn't good at and for me that makes him the best.

He was the original Mr WrestleMania and I'd argue he stole the show at WM3,4,5,7 and 8...while it takes two guys to make a match I doubt it was a coincidence that. 5 of his 6 matches all against different opponents stole the show (his all round performance at WM4 stole the show rather than a 1 off match)

He was constantly involved in some classic feuds, the early feuds with George 'the animal' Steele and Ricky the Dragon Steamboat, then onto the Honkey Tonk Man then you had the birth and death of the Mega Powers, the feud with Dusty Rhodes which was very understated, his fantastic rivalry with the Ultimate Warrior, the monumental feud with Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, the compelling storyline with Ric Flair

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ché Guerrero Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

when i got into wrestling which was only a month after the Chris Benoit situation, it was Orton who really got me into the product, but most of that has to do with finding Cena very boring. I think it is actually now CM Punk who i consider to be my favourite although Jeff Hardy follows a close second.

Punk's rise sort of coincided with me becoming more educated about wrestling, and i do think he is the best wrestler at capitalising on smart fans.

Jeff Hardy was just cooler than everyone else when i was unaware of any backstage stuff and he was also the only reason i started watching TNA when he turned up there

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 18 Sep 2012, 8:30 pm

Completely agree with the Gaffer - plus he's a better rapper than Cena - check out "Be a Man" on youtube
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 18 Sep 2012, 9:51 pm

The Rock for me. Always captivating on the mic, and good have an audience eating out the palm of his hand whether portraying a heel or face.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaronb33 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:30 pm

Mick Foley. For me, the best stick man of all time when he was in his prime (think ECW), could do hardcore better than anybody, could wrestle a straight match when he needed to, always put the business (and therefore the fans) before his own wellbeing.

I know I might get some abuse for saying he's the best hardcore wrestler. There were/are wrestlers who took/take much more extreme bumps (I'm looking at you, Jun Kasai, you absolute mentalist). There were wrestlers who had better psychology in hardcore matches (Terry Funk and Jerry Lawler come to mind, even though they did it before it was "hardcore"). But like Gaffer said with Randy Savage (who is probably a close second for me, possibly along with the Undertaker), the guy who put it all together was Mick Foley.

Plus he got himself over big time in wrestling's hottest period when so many other really talented guys never managed to reach the very top.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by Ché Guerrero Wed 19 Sep 2012, 12:20 am

While we are talking about all time favourites i still really miss Edge Sad

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 19 Sep 2012, 12:37 am

The Rock 100%

Reason i started watching WWE in the first place and i just never get bored of him. When he returned will still my best moment ever in the WWE.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sat 22 Sep 2012, 8:58 pm

I have too many favourite.

When I first started watching wrestling I had WCW Mayhem given to me for a birthday present.

The introduction featured Goldberg being an animal, and I have since been a huge Goldberg fan. I've got back into wrestling recently (I'm a student with nothing to do all day during summer) and have found the current crop (with exceptions) to be incredibly boring, the show no longer has great spark or dynamism, though I do like CM Punk and many others.

Nowadays I just watch old matches on youtube, so yeah, Goldberg, Mick Foley, Taker, HBK etc.

Can't choose, but fro the sake of my childhood let's say Goldberg

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 22 Sep 2012, 10:53 pm

I've got back into wrestling recently (I'm a student with nothing to do all day during summer)

It's ok, this is a safe house, you don't have to justify watching the Spandex Waltz on here buddy Smile

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:51 am

My favourites are:

The Ultimate Warrior - his promos were just out of this world and the intensity of his entrances was unparalleled.

Randy Savage - The best programme that Hogan ever had was against Savage. That is all that needs to be said.

Ted Dibiase - The Million Dollar Man gimmick was one of the strongest in wrestling history. Utterly believable, great booking of the character and entertaining to watch. His royal Rumble from number one spot was possibly my fave Rumble of the lot.

Edge and Christian - 7 second pose era. Every week, they did something that would crack me up. AS a tag team, they were far more entertaining and believable than either the Hardyz or Dudleys.

New Age Outlaws - Great heel champs, possibly the greatest tag team ever. Loved everything about them. From move set to hometown trashing, alone not great, together, phenomenal.

Kurt Angle - quite simply the best ever wrestler to step into a ring. Whether he was face or heel, Kurt could put on a world class match and tell a story. Brilliant comedy timing and brilliant intensity.

Vader - the best big guy in the business. Devastating move set and a truly believable monster. A lot of time for Mr White.

Others who deserve a mention - Mick Foley, Undertaker, Ken Shamrock.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leslie case Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:19 pm

I like hogan and kevin nash and matt morgan and crimson and sting

leslie case

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm

Damn it, I totally forgot about Crimson

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:23 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:Damn it, I totally forgot about Crimson

You're dead to me now!

My favourites (can't pick one) are WORYAH!, Bret Hart, the Undertaker and Crimson.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:50 pm

Laugh I do apologise man, I really do

Warrior will always be my all time favourite

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:44 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:Laugh I do apologise man, I really do

Warrior will always be my all time favourite

You've saved yourself with this, well played sir! OK

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:57 pm

Has to be Austin and Warrior for me. I think the fact they weren't around long enough to really go stale and pimp themselves out to every and any promotion makes their memories that much better for me.

With the Warrior I can't begin to explain the promo's or even the thinking. The guy was just pure and utter angry energy and that was something that stuck with me. Any fan from that era like me must've bounced off all 4 walls of their frontroom and delivered clothesline after clothesline and the flying shoulder tackle. Should've had an epic feud with the Taker. Should've been a WrestleMania moment for the ages.

Austin. Well from late 1996 to 1999 he was wrestling. The promo's, the feuds, the moments. The injury in 1999 really did really take the momentum out of his stock and I think after 2000 he had lost that sparkle, that edge. HHH, Angle and Rock had surpassed him by that point. I am glad in some ways that after 2003 he didn't remain as active wrestler.

I think because these 2 had short spans in their peak I think makes them the more remarkable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:01 pm

Taker wasn't anywhere near good enough to make it a classic back in 92, it'd have been a 10 minute match with Warrior over coming the dark side to defeat Taker in a standard match IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:06 pm

Taker was. He was the only one who could've actually gone head to head with the Warrior at that time. He had feuded with Rude and Savage and at that time I couldn't think of anyone who could've 'stayed' with him. It might have broken the no-sell gimmick quicker too. I was all for Warrior giving the Taker the beating for the Funeral Parlour sketch.

Have to admit KOTR 1996 held a personal favourite memory as the Austin 3:16 speech and also the Warrior making that epic save on Michaels and Johnson IIRC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:32 pm

They would definitely have feuded going into Mania VIII but in 1992 the Undertaker was nowhere near good enough to have good matches, he didn't really mature as an actual wrestler until he worked a long program all over America in 1996 with Mankind, it was only then when working with Foley that Taker began to show signs that he could truly become a very good worker as well as being a very good gimmick

Like I say they definitely would have had a feud and it'd have probably culminated at WrestleMania but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as Warrior/Hogan in 90 or Warrior/Savage in 91

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:40 pm

I think it could, just could rival the Hogan/Warrior match in terms of hype and how they were a fit for each other from a plugging perspective. In terms of wrestling quality would not touch Warrior/Savage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:58 pm

I don't think it could have got within a million miles of Hogan/Warrior in terms of hype to be honest, that was at that time and still to many people today the biggest every match in Pro Wrestling history, the top guy of the WWF, the biggest draw in Wrestling against the Future of the business

There is no-way The Undertaker could have had anywhere near that level of hype Hogan had back in 1992 particularly as a heel as he'd have had to remain to continue that potential feud

I also don't think they were a particularly good fit, Warrior was very underrated, he couldn't plan out a match but he could be easily led under instruction, he did what he was told and did it well, that's why Rude, Hogan and Savage had great matches with him, Taker at that point also needed someone to lead him through a match if it where to be any kind of success, there is just no-way he'd have been able to school Warrior through a match and I doubt it'd have worked vice versa either

They'd have worked and it'd have been watchable but the Undertaker in 1992 was in no way ready to have any kind of memorable match, it would be years before he'd be capable of that to be honest

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down