The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Players who you wish would finally retire!

+8
socal1976
djlovesyou
banbrotam
erictheblueuk
bogbrush
laverfan
super_realist
Josiah Maiestas
12 posters

Go down

Players who you wish would finally retire! Empty Players who you wish would finally retire!

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:47 pm

We all have players who we think have gone way below their best level, yet they still play on despite the many injuries/embarrassing losses that you will get in a sport so
tough as tennis.

Players who I wish would finally stop playing and bask in an injury free/embarrassment free sunset:

Davydenko
Haas
Hewitt
Blake
Nalbandian
Malisse
Hanescu
Rochus

Sorry, but I think these players need to retire and let the newer players take over.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Players who you wish would finally retire! Empty Re: Players who you wish would finally retire!

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:51 pm

Nadal. Not because he isn't still good, just can't stand him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Players who you wish would finally retire! Empty Re: Players who you wish would finally retire!

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:53 pm

super_realist wrote:Nadal. Not because he isn't still good, just can't stand him.
You don't get the point of this topic do you.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 18 Sep 2012, 1:59 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Sorry, but I think these players need to retire and let the newer players take over.

If the so-called newer players are incapable of beating the old guard, shame on the young'uns. Wink

I had much rather see a 34 yo Haas than a 19 yo Tomic.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:28 pm

No way Hewitt! That guy is still a player, shows more guts than almost anyone and is a top guy.

Ditto Haas, who recently showed he's still got it.

Couldn't care less about the rest.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:58 pm

I debated putting Haas up.

Then I realized he stopped Federer winning the Halle Open.

Píssed me off.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:04 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:I debated putting Haas up.

Píssed me off.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 18 Sep 2012, 4:13 pm

That was kind of my reaction too, NS.... Very Happy
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:30 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:I debated putting Haas up.

Píssed me off.
Prove it
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:46 pm

As long as they enjoy it and they're physically able, I think they should carry on as long as they can.

As your're a long time retired and even the seniors tour is a step down.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:50 pm

Not a bad call or list Josiah, but it seems strange given the recent revivals of Hass and Hewitt, that they are on there!!

I used to love Blake - but he's been so bad for so long, that it's only because I was a big fan of his, that I remember how good he used to be

And Davy's an argument against players peaking late in their careers

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:59 pm

It's not really like boxing where going on too long is actually quite dangerous.

I have no problem with any player carrying on as long as they want. It's hardly an embarrassment whatever ranking they are, or whoever they're losing to really.

Are you suggesting that they should be embarrassed about losing these matches, or are you somehow embarrassed? Seems a bit odd to me. If a player enjoys playing tennis and lifestyle, why stop?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 18 Sep 2012, 6:03 pm

eric

I don't like to see players who used to be good turning up at big tournaments and losing tamely to some average journeyman, I believe when a player goes from top 10 in the world to being ranked behind Granollers and Ebden then it is seriously time to call it a day.

banbro

Blake was one of my favourite players in the 2004-2008 era he could hit a winner from most unlikely positions, really thought he was going to quit last year with his poor run.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

banbrotam wrote:Not a bad call or list Josiah, but it seems strange given the recent revivals of Hass and Hewitt, that they are on there!!

I used to love Blake - but he's been so bad for so long, that it's only because I was a big fan of his, that I remember how good he used to be

And Davy's an argument against players peaking late in their careers

Is it me or is Davydenko 32 and looks like he is going on 62. I know the guy is bald but he looks so old, and really has for a great number of years. A great player though a wonderful ball striker but just lacking the second serve and confidence required to lift the big trophies. James Blake is a great guy but he really does look terrible on the court right now.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 18 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

djlovesyou wrote:It's not really like boxing where going on too long is actually quite dangerous.

I have no problem with any player carrying on as long as they want. It's hardly an embarrassment whatever ranking they are, or whoever they're losing to really.

Are you suggesting that they should be embarrassed about losing these matches, or are you somehow embarrassed? Seems a bit odd to me. If a player enjoys playing tennis and lifestyle, why stop?
Not that it's embarrassing, more depressing.

Most of these players who I think should retire have nothing to prove anymore.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 18 Sep 2012, 6:36 pm

djlovesyou wrote:It's not really like boxing where going on too long is actually quite dangerous.

I partially see what you are saying 'dj', but I just think players like Blake and Davy should be remembered for their great play (I remember 3 years ago just as Murray was 'arriving' as a player, Davydenko giving him a right spanking it was a masterclass in aggessive Tennis) rather than the patronising "it's great they still want to play" rubbish they have to put up with

There is an argument though if they enjoy it, then we should let them get on with it

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

This is their career - they have to make the most of it. Would you be happy for your boss to sack you aged 32 or older because you're past your prime?

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 18 Sep 2012, 9:03 pm

Haas is still a very good player, I want to see how far he can take himself. It goes to show a bit that his number 2 ranking was a no fluke despite what many people think

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 18 Sep 2012, 9:58 pm

Would you be happy for your boss to sack you aged 32
I'm not letting the team down where I work and there is no sentiment in work so why should there be in tennis??

Honestly Nore you're making a habit of posting random stupidity recently I wonder if you are the real Nore or some imposter taken over by somebody I had hassle with before. Whistle
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:05 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Would you be happy for your boss to sack you aged 32
I'm not letting the team down where I work and there is no sentiment in work so why should there be in tennis??

Honestly Nore you're making a habit of posting random stupidity recently I wonder if you are the real Nore or some imposter taken over by somebody I had hassle with before. Whistle
It's a general comment and I didn't mean it to apply to you ... don't take it personally. It's a juxtaposition of perspectives. Anyway thanks for the ad hominem. I'm aiming for the full set before I can say my work is done here on 606v2.

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:07 pm

If they are still having fun on the tour then what's the harm? To be honest I respect the players that carry on even as they drop down the rankings. It shows they are playing because they love the game and not just for the glory.

Hewitt et al - I salute you notworthy

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm

I agree with this. I know if I loved the sport and the lifestyle it would take a lot for me to quit. I imagine the atmosphere at the slams and exotic locations can be quite difficult to let go. I respect those that want to maintain their legacy and reputation by going out near the top, but if other players enjoy it good luck to them.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm

Great minds carrie.... Hug

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:25 pm

The players who should consider their position are young guys who can't displace men who have decided they are too far fallen to carry on.

Yes Bernard, I'm looking at you.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:55 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Great minds carrie.... Hug

Hug

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 19 Sep 2012, 12:19 am

Exactly my feelings BB. Today's young players seem to think its all going to fall into their laps and they play lazy tennis that can't compete against the much fuller repertoire of the older players. Guys like Haas show how the game should be played.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 23 Sep 2012, 2:43 pm

Josiah Maiestas

If they still enjoy and are still able, it's their decision, you don't have to watch it.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down