The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Samoa face Canada at Colwyn Bay in preparation for Wales

+3
gowales
bedfordwelsh
Morgannwg
7 posters

Go down

Samoa face Canada at Colwyn Bay in preparation for Wales Empty Samoa face Canada at Colwyn Bay in preparation for Wales

Post by Morgannwg Wed 19 Sep 2012, 2:13 pm

Samoa have been handed a boost to preparations for their Millennium Stadium clash with Wales this autumn with the news they will face Canada in the inaugural IRB International Rugby Series at Eirias, Colwyn Bay, a week earlier, on Friday 9th November.

A major coup for the home of North Wales rugby sees the South Sea Islanders take on the Cannucks in the second fixture of back-to-back matches at the 6,000 capacity venue, which start with Russia against USA (KO 6pm).

Just over a week later, on Saturday 17th November, another double-header comes to town when Tonga face USA (6pm) followed by Canada versus Russia, with the fixtures being seen as a major boost for rugby development plans in the area by the Welsh Rugby Union.

Samoa head to the Welsh capital on Friday 16th November for the clash with coach Rob Howley's side for the second match of their own four match series (Wales begin the Dove Men Challenge with an opening clash against Argentina before taking on Samoa, then New Zealand and Australia on successive weekends).

The autumn series is already a tough prospect for Wales, with the Pumas growing in stature during their debut season in the Rugby Championship and the size of the task against the Wallabies and All Blacks unquestioned - and now Samoa can ensure they will be fully up to speed with international rugby by the time they get to Cardiff.

But Welsh rugby bosses know Howley and his side will not shy away from the challenge and they are particularly pleased with the news that Eirias has been recognised as an international venue of note by the IRB.

Rupert Moon, WRU General Manager of the North Wales Development Region said: "There is a huge appetite for rugby in North Wales and to have an international series like this at Eirias is a massive shot in the arm for the venue. We will get a first look at Samoa the week before they take on Wales in Cardiff and will also have the privilege of watching some great players from Canada, Russia and Tonga. North Wales will have a real international flavour over the course of this IRB International Rugby Series and it is a great compliment to Eirias that it has been chosen to host a series of matches of this pedigree."

WRU Head of Rugby Joe Lydon said: "We are delighted that North Wales and specifically Eirias has been selected as the venue for these international games. We are extremely grateful to our colleagues at the IRB for recognising the hard work that has gone into creating a rugby venue in the north which is capable of hosting matches of this stature.

"Our recent experience of hosting Wales U20 Six Nations home matches at Eirias proved there was a tremendous following for rugby in this area. We are certain the rugby public of North Wales will fully support this initiative and give the visiting teams a great welcome."

Funded by the International Rugby Board (IRB) and supported by the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) and Conwy County Borough Council, the matches in Wales form part of an unprecedented programme of 2012 IRB International Rugby Series matches between Tier 2 and Tier 3 nations aimed at increasing competitiveness looking ahead to Rugby World Cup 2015 in England.

Cllr Graham Rees from Conwy County Borough Council said: "We're proud that we've been able to secure these exciting fixtures for Eirias. It's clear there are many fans and enthusiastic spectators here in North Wales and we're pleased to be able to offer the facilities for everyone to enjoy top flight Rugby."

These matches are in addition to the games between Tier 1 and Tier 2/3 nations within the 2012-2019 international tours and test schedule which has increased opportunities for emerging Rugby powers to play the world's best teams in June and November.

Other Unions involved in the 2012 International Rugby Series are Chile, Fiji, Georgia, Japan, Portugal, Romania, Uruguay.

IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: "The introduction of the IRB International Rugby Series is an exciting and important development for Rugby worldwide and underlines the IRB's commitment to assisting Tier 2 and 3 Unions access a competition schedule that meets their strategic high performance needs and delivers IRB World Rankings opportunities."

"We are delighted that Colwyn Bay is going to host these matches and I would like to thank the WRU and Conwy County Borough Council for their desire to bring the matches to Wales. I am sure that the fans will be in for a treat with the prospect of four highly-competitive matches involving some of the most exciting players in the Game."

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/23402.php

This game is a series of fixtures in the area, which will hopefully boost RU's image up North. This includes a Russia vs USA game.

Wales will likely go into friday nights game not at full strength and rusty, against a well prepared Samoa. No easy games for Wales this autumn.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Samoa face Canada at Colwyn Bay in preparation for Wales Empty Re: Samoa face Canada at Colwyn Bay in preparation for Wales

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 19 Sep 2012, 2:41 pm

Great news for North Walers and the rugby community up that area.

As for no easy wins this Autumn, do we ever have 'easy' wins against any of the Islanders. Out of all out AI games its the Samoa game that will fill me with dread and fear the most
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Samoa face Canada at Colwyn Bay in preparation for Wales Empty Re: Samoa face Canada at Colwyn Bay in preparation for Wales

Post by gowales Thu 20 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

Colwyn Bay? I don't understand this at all. It doesn't do anyone any good apart from the WRU.

The USA game was originally scheduled to be played in London at the Stoop, and the USA Union was going to capitalise on the American businessman expat community by holding a fund raiser event.

What good does it do the USA by staging this game up in North Wales?

http://rugbymag.com/usa-men/5775-eagles-fall-tour-stuck-in-outskirts.html

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 2:30 pm

It is great to see that IRB are taking positive steps tp promote Tier2/3 sides in tournaments.Also that Tier 1 A sides are likely to be developed too like NZ Maori/Nz Juniors.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

gowales wrote:Colwyn Bay? I don't understand this at all. It doesn't do anyone any good apart from the WRU.

The USA game was originally scheduled to be played in London at the Stoop, and the USA Union was going to capitalise on the American businessman expat community by holding a fund raiser event.

Unless you're stupid it does North Wales rugby some good, and all the teams involved seeing as they're getting match experience and money.

They were going to play a game in Wales anyway, so it wasn't orginially scheduled. However they're saying it is a tour and they're being put up North Wales for the entire 2 weeks when they should be going around the UK, maybe finishing at the Stoop. It doesn't do USA much good being there for 2 weeks. The IRB should have allowed them to have a game in London like they had planned for, they need to realise USA are also trying to develop not just RGC.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:38 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
gowales wrote:Colwyn Bay? I don't understand this at all. It doesn't do anyone any good apart from the WRU.

Unless you're stupid it does North Wales rugby some good, and all the teams involved seeing as they're getting match experience and money.

They were going to play a game in Wales anyway, so it wasn't orginially scheduled. However they're saying it is a tour and they're being put up North Wales for the entire 2 weeks when they should be going around the UK, maybe finishing at the Stoop. It doesn't do USA much good being there for 2 weeks. The IRB should have allowed them to have a game in London like they had planned for, they need to realise USA are also trying to develop not just RGC.

Laugh
That's why i said it's good for the WRU but not good for USA (apart from the game itself) unless you can't read. picard

You really get so agressive and defensive for no reason, it's actually quite funny.

In what way does what you wrote contradict what i wrote?
The bit in bold is exactly what i'm saying for christs sake.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 20 Sep 2012, 3:57 pm

I can't see anyone going to watch these either in a town of 30,000. Probably be 2,000 max

The tier two nations shouldn't be given the task of growing rugby in North Wales either.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:35 pm

You said it doesn't do anyone good apart from the WRU. It does North Wales (as they've been a seperate entity) and the rugby teams involved good. Can't you read? It would have done USA a lot better to actually have toured though. Anyway you bore me. You go around being pedantic and agree with English people slagging off the Welsh then call the Welsh who stick up for themselves WUMs. Get off my thread and go sort your life out. Pathetic.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:43 pm

Morgannwg wrote:You said it doesn't do anyone good apart from the WRU. It does North Wales (as they've been a seperate entity) and the rugby teams involved good. Can't you read? It would have done USA a lot better to actually have toured though. Anyway you bore me. You go around being pedantic and agree with English people slagging off the Welsh then call the Welsh who stick up for themselves WUMs. Get off my thread and go sort your life out. Pathetic.

I thought the WRU and North Wales were the same thing, my bad if so.

I don't agree with English people slagging off the Welsh. Where do you get that from, i just try to be as impartial as i can be.

In almost ever thread you get involved in you become a WUM, i'm surprised more people don't call you out on it.

Laugh Have a good one old mate Ale

Samoa face Canada at Colwyn Bay in preparation for Wales Chip-on-your-shoulder

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:53 pm

Good news for North Wales - looks like Rupert Moon is working his magic again, though how he convinced the other nations/IRB to play in Colwyn Bay rather than Manchester/Gloucester/Bristol ext. is anyones guess.

I reckon there could be a bit more demand than that GoWales, and think people may come from Llandudno and Rhyl at least for it and maybe even Bangor - especially with it's students - what with it being a double header and a chance for a good few drinks

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:16 pm

gowales wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:You said it doesn't do anyone good apart from the WRU. It does North Wales (as they've been a seperate entity) and the rugby teams involved good. Can't you read? It would have done USA a lot better to actually have toured though. Anyway you bore me. You go around being pedantic and agree with English people slagging off the Welsh then call the Welsh who stick up for themselves WUMs. Get off my thread and go sort your life out. Pathetic.

I don't agree with English people slagging off the Welsh. Where do you get that from, i just try to be as impartial as i can be.

In almost ever thread you get involved in you become a WUM, i'm surprised more people don't call you out on it.

Really. the chip on shoulder thing? How original...

North Wales hasn't had top flight rugby for nearly a century, how can they be the same thing? And it'll probably add to the WRU costs as I can't see them getting much out of this so I only see it to the benefit of RGC (boosting RU image in the North). That's what I was getting at. Despite this the people up that way still strongly support our national cause. I agreed with what you said about the USA.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:22 pm

Wru controls all rugby in wales not just top flight rugby

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:34 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
gowales wrote:

Really. the chip on shoulder thing? How original...

North Wales hasn't had top flight rugby for nearly a century, how can they be the same thing? And it'll probably add to the WRU costs as I can't see them getting much out of this so I only see it to the benefit of RGC (boosting RU image in the North). That's what I was getting at. Despite this the people up that way still strongly support our national cause. I agreed with what you said about the USA.

In some threads you get quite sensitive/defensive very easily, just some advice. Don't get so nationalistic and aggressive so quickly.

So you don't actually know if the WRU and North Wales rugby are completely different entities? You're just assuming that. Hmmm...
If one of us had looked this up then we could have saved ourselves from arguing. I'm sure that there is some sort of organising body up there but since North Wales is in Wales you would think that the WRU would cover it

Tbh I don't really see what good it does for North Wales rugby, it's (tier 2) international rugby and exposure i suppose but meh.

Good that we agree on the USA.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:52 pm

I know, I do purposely try to come across as defensive/agressive though Smile.

The WRU haven't covered it well have they? Up until recent years of course. Think of it as tourism and good for the North Wales community.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 21 Sep 2012, 9:19 am

I think a few are talking complete s**t here. Have you lot in S Wales seen how many rugby clubs there are in N Wales? Do you know how many rugby fans there are?
I think you will find every game played in Colwyn Bay will be capacity crowds.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 21 Sep 2012, 9:43 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:I think a few are talking complete s**t here. Have you lot in S Wales seen how many rugby clubs there are in N Wales? Do you know how many rugby fans there are?
I think you will find every game played in Colwyn Bay will be capacity crowds.

Yea i'm sure people will be queuing up to see Canada vs Russia.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 21 Sep 2012, 9:45 am

better than nothing GoWales - and it's not like it's a massive stadium

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 21 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:better than nothing GoWales - and it's not like it's a massive stadium

True but they (IRB) could have thought this out better. It's a great coup for North Wales to show off the new stadium nonetheless.

It's around 15,000 isn't it? They'd have to get half the population to fill it up.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:04 am

gowales wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:better than nothing GoWales - and it's not like it's a massive stadium

True but they (IRB) could have thought this out better. It's a great coup for North Wales to show off the new stadium nonetheless.

It's around 15,000 isn't it? They'd have to get half the population to fill it up.

You talk complete crap, you think it will just be Colwyn Bay ??? What a sad person. Bangor, Rhyl, Llandudno, Wrexham all under 1 hour away, you really need to get an atlas out my old son and get real. people in North Wales are not a fikle as some smug S Walians.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:08 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
gowales wrote:

You talk complete crap, you think it will just be Colwyn Bay ??? What a sad person. Bangor, Rhyl, Llandudno, Wrexham all under 1 hour away, you really need to get an atlas out my old son and get real. people in North Wales are not a fikle as some smug S Walians.

We'll see...
The people of North Wales did a fantastic job of supporting the U20 boys in the last 6 nations because they are the NATIONAL team.

I wouldn't blame them if they had not interest in watching Canada vs Russia.
Samoa v USA should be a cracking game, if they can get their players though.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:17 am

gowales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
gowales wrote:

We'll see...
The people of North Wales did a fantastic job of supporting the U20 boys in the last 6 nations because they are the NATIONAL team.

I wouldn't blame them if they had not interest in watching Canada vs Russia.
Samoa v USA should be a cracking game, if they can get their players though.

Ohh how nice of you to be so patronising. Bangor hosted an under 16 football international against Poland which drew more supporters than the Wales U21 team got in s Wale pal.

Why would they not be interested in Canada v Russia?? you are just talking idiotic crap mate. Give it a rest, it seems as if you know nothing about N Wales.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

You're a sensitive bugger aren't you Smile

Why would they not be interested in Canada v Russia? Oh i don't know because their players aren't professional and Russia to be frank are not that good.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

I wonder how many of the original Canadian RGC players will be in the Canada team/squad. Kind of like a home game for them.

*Edit* There will be interest in these games up North. They seem pretty keen to support any type of sporting fixture that is held up there, as in honesty they're not spoilt for choice. Also, the Canada fixtures i can see being a decent draw as a large group of Canadian internationals (O'Toole, Marshall, Cudmore etc) were sent to play for local clubs and the original RGC team as a development program for them in the Canadian offseason.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 21 Sep 2012, 11:36 am

Yes Coleman N Wales is not spoilt for choice and we do support sports. It's unfortunate that the dumb gray suits of the WRU ignored N Wales for years in selection for Wales etc because they could not be a&rsed with coming up North to scout, more fool them. A sad reflection on a country that has to travel into england to get to each others regions.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 21 Sep 2012, 12:50 pm

Let's hope that the WRU continue to develop RGC1404 and play internationals (of any level) in Colwyn Bay. It's also good that there's links to the Scarlets academy, so at least there is an outlet in Wales for the good Welsh talent being developed in North Wales.

But like you I think it is shocking that it's pretty impossible to get from North West (or Mid West) Wales to South Wales without going through England.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 21 Sep 2012, 1:11 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Let's hope that the WRU continue to develop RGC1404 and play internationals (of any level) in Colwyn Bay. It's also good that there's links to the Scarlets academy, so at least there is an outlet in Wales for the good Welsh talent being developed in North Wales.

But like you I think it is shocking that it's pretty impossible to get from North West (or Mid West) Wales to South Wales without going through England.

Well you can but it take hours although it is a piece of God's own driving the long way.

N Wales & George North will forever be grateful to the Scarlets / Llanelli, pretty much the best player Wales have thanks to Ynys Mon Mam Cymru.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down