The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl Frampton vs Steve Molitor this Saturday

+8
TopHat24/7
BallchinianMuffwig
88Chris05
azania
6oldenbhoy
captain carrantuohil
hampo17
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
12 posters

Go down

Carl Frampton vs Steve Molitor this Saturday Empty Carl Frampton vs Steve Molitor this Saturday

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 20 Sep - 10:22

Morning!!!

Haven't seen much discussed about this fight on here which is strange because I think this is potentially a massive stringboard for the Jackal this weekend.

It has been announced that the fight is to be aired in the US on ESPN 3 which has over 73 million viewers. Not bad exposure for Frampton, Selby, Lindsey, McCloskey who will feature in the broadcast.

Molitor has struggled in his last 3 fights, one in which was in Britain against Jason Booth. Molitor went on to win a majority decision. His next fight proved to be too much and was dominated by Takalani Ndlovu who took Molitor's title. Molitor then scraped to a SD in his following comeback fight.

It seems like Team Frampton has snared a pretty big fish at a good time. Molitor is known over in the States/Canada and for Frampton this could set him up big time.

The only issue I have is, IF Carl wins, it leaves him in a position where he will have to carry on fighting highly ranked opponents and being only 14 fights into his pro career, I'm not sure if this is wise. He hasn't really sampled the Euro scene. If he beats Molitor who is world level fighter then drops back into the domestic/Euro scene, it will maybe open a few tins of criticism (especially in the US).

Anyway, for me, its a late stoppage for the Jackal who has looked immense so far.

COME ON CARL!!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Carl Frampton vs Steve Molitor this Saturday Empty Re: Carl Frampton vs Steve Molitor this Saturday

Post by hampo17 Thu 20 Sep - 10:26

One of my favourite fighters at the moment Frampton. Certainly if he beats Molitor it springboards him ahead of Munroe and Quigg in my opinion.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Carl Frampton vs Steve Molitor this Saturday Empty Re: Carl Frampton vs Steve Molitor this Saturday

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 20 Sep - 10:29

I think that you're worrying unnecessarily, dee. This is bold and imaginative match-making, particularly in view of the fact that Molitor is a late-ish substitute for Carl's original opponent. I wish more fighters were prepared to test themselves like this. If he wins, splendid, he can re-calibrate his level of ambition and opponent, not to mention his timetable for championship fights of the future. If he loses, it's no disgrace and will just mean that he has to be taken along that much more slowly. No-lose situation, I would think.

Frampton by decision for me, by the way, but not without some rocky moments en route.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 20 Sep - 10:40

You going to the weigh in tomorrow, Dee? Molitor hasn't looked the same since the Caballero fight, in my opinion. Should he come through, then it's a good name to have on his record. I'll say Frampton UD.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 20 Sep - 10:40

Cheers Captain!

Yea, it is great to see Frampton show some desire to move up the levels.

The good thing is, regardless if he wins against Molitor or not, the EBU has placed him as mandatory for Martinez's belt.

Its been twice now that Martinez has cancelled voluntary defences against Frampton. I was at the press conference the other week when the fight was announced and Martinez looked a little unsettled tbh.

But at least now he will either have to fight Frampton or vacate the belt which leaves Carl (even if he receives an "L" at the weekend) with an automatic European Title shot.

Decent position to be in.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 20 Sep - 10:42

Carl is damn good. he should win and will. Don't agree that that he will have to carry on at world level as Molitor is world level in name only and not ability.

But if he's good enough, why not? I don't think he will have many problems with Molitor whatsoever.

If he loses, the fickle nature of boxing fans will rear its head again and hold it against him. He wont lose though.

Still think Quigg will do a number on him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 20 Sep - 10:43

6oldenbhoy wrote:You going to the weigh in tomorrow, Dee? Molitor hasn't looked the same since the Caballero fight, in my opinion. Should he come through, then it's a good name to have on his record. I'll say Frampton UD.

Where is the weigh in mate? and what time?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 20 Sep - 10:46

Quigg would still be my horse if he and Frampton were ever to share a ring, but Molitor is a good match up for the Belfast lad, I think. I haven't ever really been that impressed with Molitor - I think Frampton will win, and win well.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 20 Sep - 10:48

It's in Victoria Square at 12:30 tomorrow. Might head down, as I can't make the fight itself. Paddy Barnes is doing the ringwalk with him.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 20 Sep - 10:50

Not sure about that Az,

Quigg only has one side to his game, going forward.

When he tried to box on the back foot against Arthur he ended up flat on his face and that was only a jab that done that!

He then reverted back to his usual self to get through that fight.

Frampton has shown he can fight aggressively on the front foot, agressively on the back foot and in his last fight he showed what he can do defensivly against a come forward fighter.

I think he has at least 3-4 sides to his game, where Quigg only has 1.

Not only that, I think Frampton has got into Quiggs head a little with some of the call outs, especially the time when Quigg was punit, he didn't know what to say. He looked a tad nervous.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 20 Sep - 10:53

Cheers 9oldenboy!

I have to pick the kid up from creche tomorrow at 12.30 but will maybe sprint into town with him. Only live 5 minutes from town anyway.

Good stuff!"
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 20 Sep - 10:55

You going to the fight itself, Dee?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 20 Sep - 10:59

Nah mate. I swore I would never finance Paul McCloskey's boxing career again.

I would rather flick between the Belfast bill and the Burn's v Mitchell one at home.

Plus I hate the Odyssey.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 20 Sep - 12:53

The weigh in has been moved to the Europa, Dee. Same time.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Thu 20 Sep - 12:53

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Nah mate. I swore I would never finance Paul McCloskey's boxing career again.

I would rather flick between the Belfast bill and the Burn's v Mitchell one at home.

Plus I hate the Odyssey.

Glad I'm not the only one unwilling to line his pockets again...sneaky git already has 2 incomes anyway!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 20 Sep - 13:27

Great match-up for the Jackal (hats off, again, to Eddie and Matchroom) that I think he can and should win. Not worrying about fringe-world fights after that but chasing the big domestic show-downs of Quigg, Munroe and Galahad.

The cynic in me says he'll only get 1 of 3 arranged but I think he is capable of winning all three (Quigg being his toughest test).

Looking forward to this one!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 20 Sep - 13:35

Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned too much...although seeing as we have been spoilt for choice the past two weeks I think it has kind of been lost somewhat....

I think Frampton will handle this a fair bit easier than some are expecting and actually think he could do a bit of a number on him,

As has been mentioned, Molitor hasn't quite looked the same since his defeat to Caballero and he certainly doesn't posses the power to keep Frampton coming forward.

I expect to see a performance from Carl similar to the one against Kris Hughes. Think he will use the jab to force his way in and then break Molitor down on the inside. He will want to impress and force the stoppage I think.

I really like the Jackal and of our Super Bantamweights think he is the best. I don't usually like to get ahead of myself with boxers but I think he has all the tools to go onto become one of the best fighters in the World at this weight.

I do rate Quigg but as Reborn alluded to he does only seem to have one game plan and whilst he has at times shown something different he seems to struggle to not revert back to type.

Should be another fantastic weekend of boxing!!

Oh and massive props to matchroom & Eddie...can't talk highly enough of the Hearn family. They are fantastic for any sport they get involved in. They have an ability to turn around sports (see snooker & darts)..are visionaries and more importantly are honest people who are fans and genuinely want what is best for the sport.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 20 Sep - 13:43

Frampton, Galahad, Quigg and Munroe.

Galahad is the best pure boxer out of the lot, but probably the weakest. No punch to ward off strong guys like Frampton and Munroe. Quigg I reckon is the best out of the lot with most potential and will go the furthest. Frampton will make the most money as he is the most attrative fighter and will make a name for himself stateside.

But all exciting match ups and hope they all square off in some sort of round robin (super4?) to see who is the best. TV deals will scupper that though. Hearn will not let Frampton fight on C5 and Galahad will not fight on Sky.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Sep - 13:54

Being Canuck side I don't know Frampton as well as I probably should, but he seems to have a nice skillset and I look forward to seeing him this weekend.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 20 Sep - 14:11

owen10ozzy wrote:Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned too much...although seeing as we have been spoilt for choice the past two weeks I think it has kind of been lost somewhat....

I think Frampton will handle this a fair bit easier than some are expecting and actually think he could do a bit of a number on him,

As has been mentioned, Molitor hasn't quite looked the same since his defeat to Caballero and he certainly doesn't posses the power to keep Frampton coming forward.

I expect to see a performance from Carl similar to the one against Kris Hughes. Think he will use the jab to force his way in and then break Molitor down on the inside. He will want to impress and force the stoppage I think.

I really like the Jackal and of our Super Bantamweights think he is the best. I don't usually like to get ahead of myself with boxers but I think he has all the tools to go onto become one of the best fighters in the World at this weight.

I do rate Quigg but as Reborn alluded to he does only seem to have one game plan and whilst he has at times shown something different he seems to struggle to not revert back to type.

Should be another fantastic weekend of boxing!!

Oh and massive props to matchroom & Eddie...can't talk highly enough of the Hearn family. They are fantastic for any sport they get involved in. They have an ability to turn around sports (see snooker & darts)..are visionaries and more importantly are honest people who are fans and genuinely want what is best for the sport.

Couldn't agree more with this post Owen.

Quigg is an accident waiting to happen. Typical Joe Gallagher fighter in my opinion. If Jamie Arthur can knock you onto your face with a job, imagine what the likes of Donaire etc would do at world level.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 20 Sep - 20:10

Great fight but I think its come too soon for him.

Not seen much of Molitor recently but if he comes in the form when he beat Jason Booth, he will have too much. I would love to be wrong though as I really like Frampton.

As for Mckloskey, he better learn to put his hands up, his opponent has been in with a fair few good names, Rios, Jose Cotto & Gesta..... The Sky card is great! Far better than the boxnation card.

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Thu 20 Sep - 20:13; edited 1 time in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 20 Sep - 20:12

His recent results have been less than stellar.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 22 Sep - 23:16

World take note: Framton has arrived!!

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 22 Sep - 23:19

Hold my hand up and say I got this one totally wrong, although I'm not quite sure how much Molitor had.

Unfortunately for Frampton he won't do anything at world level because the competition is ridiculous.

-> Nishioka (possibly going to retire)
-> Donaire
-> Rigondeaux
-> Mares

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down