The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battling Roger And Rafa By Novak

+5
CAS
barrystar
lydian
bogbrush
hawkeye
9 posters

Go down

Battling Roger And Rafa By Novak Empty Battling Roger And Rafa By Novak

Post by hawkeye Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Found this interesting interview were Djokovic talks about the difficult task of competing against Federer and Nadal

You chose probably the most inopportune time for your mission: when you were 18, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal began their period of domination like no other pair before. From the 28 Grand Slam tournaments from 2004 to 2010, Federer won 15 and Nadal 10...

That makes the satisfaction all the more. I’m aware that nobody believed it would be possible to outperform Roger and Rafa – in this respect, I have achieved the impossible.

Let’s look more closely how it came to this power takeover. Going back four, five years: you’re 20, a much-publicised newcomer, the youngest player in the top 10. You want to go to the top – but up there are two of the greatest athletes known in the sporting world. And you lose major matches against the two. Soul destroying?

And how! You probably remember what I stated as my goals back then: to win Grand Slams and become the number one. Be honest, did you believe me?

Um… not many believed it.

Which was also warranted. I know I said I wanted to go to the top and claim Grand Slam titles, but I didn’t really believe it myself. When I went out to face Roger and Rafa on the court I didn’t have the 100 per cent, the complete and total conviction that I could actually succeed. My respect for them was simply too great.

How do you cast off respect for Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal?

It didn’t happen from one day to the next, it was a process. And it was tough. I recognised that I had reached a point where I must radically change myself as a professional if I really wanted to get to the top.

As a 20-year-old, as the youngest world-class player, you wanted to throw everything overboard that had brought you so far?

There was no alternative. I wanted to beat Roger and Rafa, and not just anybody. Over the next years I more or less changed everything. I knew that success in modern tennis is not a one-man show – and so I put a team of trainer, physiotherapist, nutritionist, fitness coach around me. I trained harder, but above all much more focused than before. I restructured my season. And I totally changed my eating habits. Thanks to a gluten-free diet I became physically more stable – and that of course gave my game a totally new constancy. Simply because I suddenly didn’t have to fight infections anymore that had constantly forced me to pull out of major tournaments.

It’s been said you’re a perfectionist – which we’ve heard is not always particularly pleasant for those who work with you.

If you want to achieve seriously big goals you need such a character trait, I’m convinced of this. When you have to tackle people like Federer and Nadal as part of your profession, you can’t afford to make compromises. And you can’t find satisfaction in the small steps.

I also like this bit were Djokovic shows that he understands his job completely. I'm not sure that all players do. I have always been convinced that Djokovic was more aware than most that his job is to "put on a show" and here he states exactly this.

For years it was regarded as state-of-the-art to play with a poker face – deeply immersed in concentration, no emotion, on no account show feelings. But that’s completely different with you.

It’s good that way. Tennis isn’t a poker game for me. Everyone can see and feel my emotions, and anyone who wants to can share in what I’m experiencing at any given moment. That’s part of my character and I find that belongs to our job: we also have to give the people a good show. We have to inspire and carry them with us.

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/Novak-Djokovic-021243227387579

It's difficult not to admire Djokovic.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Battling Roger And Rafa By Novak Empty Re: Battling Roger And Rafa By Novak

Post by bogbrush Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Good interview, it clearly shows that youth is no obstacle to success in this period. At 20 he was ready to compete at the top, exactly as it always has been.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Interesting read.
Yes BB, and was prepared to make those painful sacrifices to succeed at the very top...like all those before him had to...the upcomers today don't seem to want to have to put the hard work in....it takes a special talent to even want to put in the hard work to get to the very top, never mind make it succeed. That's why we don't see these types of guys very often.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Hawkeye - good post, I have a go when I think it's merited, but this is a good post and you have highlighted an excellent interview with a tennis player I have always liked and who shows a pretty good side of himself.

I found these answers particularly interesting. You can see why he got his stuff together earlier than Murray:

Do you still feel pressure or anxiety on the court today?
Why the negative undertone in the question? Pressure is a privilege! There is no better proof than pressure to show that I’m in a great match and chasing a major goal. I find pressure pushes me more than it holds me. Without the stage fright there isn’t top performance. When everything leaves you cold you know it’s over.

Is it this fire that makes the difference between a good player and an outstanding one?
In big matches it’s not about who hits the ball better – we can all play tennis. And we are all physically fit. The decisive word is ‘momentum’. That’s the difference. The momentum can only be on one side and you have to make sure that it’s your side it’s on

Even walking on red carpets? How do you like the glitz and glamour part of your job?
Why shouldn’t that be fun? After all, it is recognition for my performance. As number one, I must and should represent my sport on such occasions. I regard it as an honour.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 pm

great interview Hawkeye, great find. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:54 am

Or as we say up here...there's those who...

a) make things happen
b) watch things happen
c) wonder WTF happened!

The greats in tennis always make things happen, they dictate play. In facing Nadal or Federer you know you're going to have to wrestle control from them, and for most that's a mental challenge they feel they're not up to before they even step out on court. Djokovic found a way to not let that faze him anymore and it's to his credit he did...the only problem is sustaining it as both Nadal and Federer have come back at him...proving how hard it is to keep them both down, Nadal particularly.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 pm

It has taken a while to reach this stage for Djokovic, and sustaining what brought to the pinnacle, is much harder than reaching it the first time. Just ask Fedal.

They know what it takes to be both hunter and hunted. It is a testament to being called a 'great' and what herculean effort it is.

Let no one ever say that there is a bad tennis player, they are all human and fantastic athletes and have chosen a sport which brings us, the spectators, pure joy at their racquet craft.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Djokovic had a ego from the very early age that he is the best, in some case ego makes them reach their goal and in some cases it lets them down.

Before some one could jump on, In Nole's case his ego made him a successful guy coz he was not ready to accept 2nd man's role and was ready to do every thing to be the no.1, Murray on the other hand had a negative ego at the start of his career, he felt he is great and couldn't accept failures and be 2nd man,Murray got better and better with every failures coz he was put back down to earth and that shattered his ego out.
Once his ego is gone his mind started to work better and he is able to produce the result and achieve what he once that he was.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:09 pm

laverfan wrote:It has taken a while to reach this stage for Djokovic, and sustaining what brought to the pinnacle, is much harder than reaching it the first time. Just ask Fedal.

They know what it takes to be both hunter and hunted. It is a testament to being called a 'great' and what herculean effort it is.

Let no one ever say that there is a bad tennis player, they are all human and fantastic athletes and have chosen a sport which brings us, the spectators, pure joy at their racquet craft.

Yes! What Federer and Nadal have achieved (climbing several mountains) requires a herculean effort and can indeed be described as "great". Djokovic has climbed his first mountain and is just getting his breath back before attempting a second climb. Other players of course are not bad. Like you say they are all human, fantastic athletes and provide us with entertainement. But compared to Nadal and Federer... and Djokovic they are still on the nursery slopes.

What did you think of Djokovic's interview?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Q. One last request. To someone who has never heard of you before: how would you describe Novak Djokovic to them?

A. Actually it’s a bit uncomfortable describing myself... but OK. His bad side? He’s sometimes jealous. And sometimes a little too emotional. The good side: He’s a communicative person. Full of energy, full of life. He openly shows his soul to the world. And he’s responsible... and kind.

Very apt summation. Perhaps a bit too demonstrative fo r my personal taste, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:51 pm

I love the fact that Novak wears his heart on his sleeve laverfan, I just never can get into the stoical players. It is actually better for your game to keep a cool poker face mentality but it makes for much less interesting viewing.

The thing about Djokovic that made him stand out for me is that he is always working to get better and to add to his game. And he is willing to take major risks to improve his game and has the commitment to go through the work necessary. He changed a serve in mid career that got him to #3 in the world, for two years he paid for it with terrible serving numbers before deciding to can the new approach. Not a risk that paid off. He retooled his forehand at the same time and those changes to his stroke did pay off and off big. But when he made those changes both his forehand and serve were pretty good, yet he wasn't complacent he wanted a worldclass shot in these areas and he didn't settle.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:14 pm

This is why Nadal and Djokovic way of playing is bad judgement.

Thank you for demonstrating why Roger is the best. Very Happy

Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down