The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super XV 2013 draw released - Highlanders big winners

3 posters

Go down

Super XV 2013 draw released - Highlanders big winners Empty Super XV 2013 draw released - Highlanders big winners

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:23 am

http://files.allblacks.com/nzru_media_releases/2012/09_September/2013_Investec_Super_Rugby_Draw_210912.pdf

Next season's Super XV draw was released yesterday. In order to clear space in the calendar for the Lions tour 2 Australian derbies will be played on the weekend of February 15th, with the other 11 teams having an opening round bye. Mercifully both opening round matches are night games, playing during the day time in Canberra in February is a recipe for heat exhaustion.

Looking at who's gotten lucky/unlucky in the draw, the following stand out
Blues - miss out on the Force and the Kings, tough on Sir JK
Chiefs - miss the Bulls and the Brumbies, so a good draw for the defending champs
Cheetahs - miss the Brumbies and Crusaders
Highlanders - avoid the Stormers and Waratahs

Otherwise most teams seem to have come out fairly even in terms of avoiding one tougher and one "easier" opponent.

The Crusaders do have a tough start to the tournament, after having the opening fortnight off they open their campaign in South Africa, playing the Stormers and the Sharks Doh

None of the NZ/Aus teams have lucked out and drawn away games vs both the Kings and Cheetahs, though the Highlanders have (probably) winnable away games in Perth and Melbourne - given that draw the Southerners have few excuses for not making the playoffs.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Super XV 2013 draw released - Highlanders big winners Empty Re: Super XV 2013 draw released - Highlanders big winners

Post by Islingtonv2 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:31 am

Given the peculiar nature of the S15 format where not everyone plays each other i'd like to see something similar to the NFL. Schedule could be based on prior year rankings so the top teams get the tougher games. I reckon it would even up the conferences and make for a very exciting race for the playoffs.

Just a thought........

Islingtonv2

Back to top Go down

Super XV 2013 draw released - Highlanders big winners Empty Re: Super XV 2013 draw released - Highlanders big winners

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:44 am

Islingtonv2 wrote:Given the peculiar nature of the S15 format where not everyone plays each other i'd like to see something similar to the NFL. Schedule could be based on prior year rankings so the top teams get the tougher games. I reckon it would even up the conferences and make for a very exciting race for the playoffs.

Just a thought........

I'm not sure I like that idea. But then I support one of the stronger teams Whistle

It'd be fairly tough to manage a tough/easy draw though, bearing in mind that there is really very little between the top 10 or 11 of the 15 teams (and the identity of the NZ team in the bottom 4 tends to change every season or 2). Granted the Kings are likely to be a little bit London Welsh this year, while the Force and Rebels are likely to stay near the bottom.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Islingtonv2 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:59 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
Islingtonv2 wrote:Given the peculiar nature of the S15 format where not everyone plays each other i'd like to see something similar to the NFL. Schedule could be based on prior year rankings so the top teams get the tougher games. I reckon it would even up the conferences and make for a very exciting race for the playoffs.

Just a thought........

I'm not sure I like that idea. But then I support one of the stronger teams Whistle

It'd be fairly tough to manage a tough/easy draw though, bearing in mind that there is really very little between the top 10 or 11 of the 15 teams (and the identity of the NZ team in the bottom 4 tends to change every season or 2). Granted the Kings are likely to be a little bit London Welsh this year, while the Force and Rebels are likely to stay near the bottom.

Fair enough, i have no allegiances so would prefer to see tight groups and new names on the trophy Very Happy

I'm sure there is a way of skewing the draw if they so wished, i'd just prefer that to the random way its done at the moment which could shaft one or more teams while giving another of equal ability an easy ride.

Islingtonv2

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 21 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

Pete/Biltong, any sense of how strong/weak the Kings will be? Will they recruit heavily from the Lions?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down