The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anscombe for Ireland or Wales anyone?

+12
blackcanelion
Pot Hale
Thomond
Golden
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
LordDowlais
gowales
nganboy
emack2
maestegmafia
Taylorman
16 posters

Go down

Anscombe for Ireland or Wales anyone? Empty Anscombe for Ireland or Wales anyone?

Post by Taylorman Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:23 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10835867

Not sure what the article means by being qualified for both Wales and Ireland but looks as though Anscombes in the pocket positional play wont be wanted at the top here...with Cruden and perhaps a more fancied Barrett more suited to the front foot style for a 10 but in all honesty Anscombes had blinders last couple for the Auckland ITM side who are now at the top of the comp.

"Anscombe sat in the pocket for the Blues this year - reducing the effectiveness of Ma'a Nonu outside him. It also made the Blues easy to shut down - defences knowing they could close the space by coming up quickly on the outside.

New Blues coach John Kirwan hasn't unveiled his tactical vision for the team yet, but as one of the world's best attacking wings and having tried hard to generate pace and width while coach of Japan, it's a reasonable guess he'll want much the same in his current role.

Anscombe doesn't really fit that vision which is similar to how the Hurricanes want to play as well. This time next year, it wouldn't be a surprise if Anscombe is on his way to the UK. Anscombe looks better suited to Northern Hemisphere rugby and his accurate goal-kicking and astute tactical kicking would be well received there. He's eligible to play for Wales and there is also possibly the option of heading to Ulster, where his father, Mark, is the coach.

Still only 21, if he heads now, he could be qualified to play for Ireland by the time he's 24 as his eligibility was not captured last year. It's not the future he imagined this time last year but it is at least a future that could feature test rugby."

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Anscombe for Ireland or Wales anyone? Empty Re: Anscombe for Ireland or Wales anyone?

Post by maestegmafia Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:26 am

After losing four flyhalfs I the RWC I'd have thought the kiwis would be more careful...???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Anscombe for Ireland or Wales anyone? Empty Re: Anscombe for Ireland or Wales anyone?

Post by emack2 Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:08 am

He himself is quoted he wants to stay in NZ,he`s 21 and Auckland ITM side are happy with him.S15 franchises may not want him this year but NEXT?who knows maybe a Black shirt long term?Still 3 years in the NH but not commit himself to any other test side.Then come home and resume a Super career?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:53 am

maestegmafia wrote:After losing four flyhalfs I the RWC I'd have thought the kiwis would be more careful...???

Yeah but if he can't get a super contract then he's not in the top 10 anyway so he doesn't have much chance of getting a call up does he.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:01 am

Scarlets could do with a decent goal kicker...

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:13 am

Oh, I see, he is not good enough for you lot but he is good enough for Wales and Ireland, seriously, you lot should stop being so arrogant. The gap is constantly closing between the two hemispheres and the way I see it, it will not be to long before there IS NO GAP. Anyway, up here in Wales we have plenty of no. 10's, we have Preistland, Hook, Tovey, Biggar, Patchell just to name a few, so we do not need him. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:17 am

I'm not sure about Tovey or Biggar Dowlais

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:32 am

gowales wrote:I'm not sure about Tovey or Biggar Dowlais

Yeah, but I would rather see those two home grown players starting for the regions than a foreigner who is not deemed good enough by his native country. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:27 am

There really is some tripe on these threads somretimes ,a 21 year old lad has been rejected by a misfiring S15 side happens.New Coaches etc.How can you say HE is a failure when his ITM side is currently top of the log?Coaches decide tactics not players.John Kirwan is cleaning house and starting from scratch he has his own ideas.No doubt Anscombe can adapt to another position or style he is hardly ancient.Also NH/Japan would be buying him on potential so he won`t get a particular ly good deal.To talk about test Rugby at this stage is ridiculous for another country and arrogant to boot.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:34 am

I hope he stays in NZ. He has the talent to come back from this at 21. He's not on the scrapheap- how quickly players are written off these days!

From an Ulster PoV I also think it would be problematic enough to have the great white hope of the Ireland 10 shirt and an NIQ 10 at the same province- even more so when the NIQ 10 is the coaches son!

So I'm not keen on him coming to Ulster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:50 am

We have plenty of young irish 10s coming through. We dont need him.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Notch wrote:I hope he stays in NZ. He has the talent to come back from this at 21. He's not on the scrapheap- how quickly players are written off these days!

From an Ulster PoV I also think it would be problematic enough to have the great white hope of the Ireland 10 shirt and an NIQ 10 at the same province- even more so when the NIQ 10 is the coaches son!

Who mentioned him coming to Leinster? Very Happy

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:45 pm

I don't want him playing for Ireland, same as I don't want Payne or Strauss playing. Hope Ulster don't sign him simply as Jackson needs the majority of game time.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Connacht need a good 10. He'd be more than welcome there but He would never get on the ireland team.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Bring him up. Get him capped. Then send him to Connacht.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:59 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Yeah, but I would rather see those two home grown players starting for the regions than a foreigner who is not deemed good enough by his native country. Ale

but he's Welsh so he's not a foreigner, he just happened to be born in NZ Very Happy
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 am

Bit ungrateful calling kiwis arrogant, considering how we export a high proportion of our 2nd tier players and international coaches up north. How about some gratitude eh? Whistle

Hope Anscombe stays and maybe this hiccup will inspire him to teach JK a lesson.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:23 am

Anscombe isn't a bad player. I'm not sure he is being dropped is due to ability or form. There are a number of rumours going around: including: he's not a great team player (blames others when things go wrong) and that he was involved in the racist text sent to Pat Lam. It may also be due to politics within the Blues franchise (it consists of 4 unions).

He certainly has plenty of ability. He's only 21. He played for the NZ 20's in 2011. The team won the tournament and he was top scorer, above the likes of Goosen, Ford and Morgan. His inclusion also meant that current all black, Beauden Barrett, played at full back. I thought he was the best flyhalf in that tournament. Since then he's in his second season for Auckland and had a season for the Blues. That's not a bad pedigree.

Being so young he's an up and coming rather than the finished product. Having said that there aren't many NZ fans that wouldn't pick him in the top 10 no 10's in the country. Auckland is doing well with him at the helm.

He would be a catch for any nation. I include NZ. It's better for us that he doesn't go. The reality is he'll need a super 15 contract to stay. I suspect he's more likely to end up in Australia than Europe in the short term.

Last edited by blackcanelion on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:46 am

It makes me wonder if NZ should schedule an annual game with a pacific island nation where they can name players they want to give one AB cap so they can't escape overseas.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:57 am

I think making the under 20's our second team would solve many issues.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:07 am

LordDowlais wrote:

Didn't stop you picking them in the past... I can think of six. Whistle

LeinsterFan4life wrote:We have plenty of young irish 10s coming through. We dont need him.

+1

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Connacht need a good 10. He'd be more than welcome there but He would never get on the ireland team.

But, but ... they've got Dan Parks Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:39 pm

I'd hold tight if I was Anscome. I doubt he will come to Ireland. The obvious province for him would be through Ulster as his dad is coach there. However, with Paddy Jackson at Ulster a great young hope for Irish rugby he probably wouldnt get a look in. At least it wouldnt make sense in signing him.

If he stays in NZ Im sure he would get caps because unless you are as good as McCaw or Carter nobodys place in the team is guarenteed and it seems there are always opportunities especially given that Carter's career will be winding down in the next few years.

Aaron Cruden was on a skateboarding somewhere in NZ during the WC before he got called up and now he is the falvour of the month. Things can change very quickly if you bide your time and concentrate on improving your game.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:52 pm

I’m all for the Hurricanes snapping him up. I’d rather him slotting in there if Barrett is injured over Tusi Pisi any day of the week. Then we’ll really see if he can get a backline moving!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Tusi Pisi, is frankly awesome. One that got away I am afriad to say.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down