The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Wilson Promoted to EPS

+4
HQ matt
LondonTiger
bluestonevedder
Chjw131
8 posters

Go down

David Wilson Promoted to EPS Empty David Wilson Promoted to EPS

Post by Chjw131 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:31 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19714456

Davy Wilson up, and probably on merit in my opinion. Mako Vunipola into the Saxons, another good call.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

David Wilson Promoted to EPS Empty Re: David Wilson Promoted to EPS

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:35 pm

Excellent promotion of Vunipola. Maybe SL does read this forum?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:40 pm

Wilson promoted by default as THs with experience are thin on the ground. I really hope one of the younger ones kicks on this season because Wilson has never looked international quality.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 4:04 pm

I don't know about by default LT. Yes he's the obvious choice, but he's played very well in the tight when i've seen him for Bath so far this season.

Wilson, like Harden PDJ and a lot of other props are developing at a different rate to people like Cole who in my opinion is a bit of an exceptional case. At 23 he was starting for England and doing an excellent job. Props generally take much longer than that to develop properly.

Sinckler looks an excellent prospect, but i've only seen him against other U20's so far. It'll be interesting to see if he develops at the same rate as Cole.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Tue 25 Sep 2012, 4:17 pm

got to admit i was thinking about the england TH situation yesterday and wilsons was the first name that came to me. he has looked good in the bath games a have seen so far this year, both in the tight and the loose.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Sep 2012, 4:32 pm

At least wilson looks liek a prop Very Happy

Reminds me of a young Fran Cotton.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 25 Sep 2012, 5:04 pm

A massive amount of Cole's development came from being thrown in at the deep end for the 2009 6N's and especially against France where he was hammered for most of it. I hope SL realises this and gives who ever Cole's understudy will be plenty of actual match time.

I hope Sinckler gets a look in soon, he is a massive (literally) talent and looks good every time he plays for Quins. Hopefully he'll get more time against adults this season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

Davy Wilson has the ability...he just seems to have totally lost his way the last few seasons...

Ive said preseason...i hope Mr Gold can have a big affect on him (and Fearns) and get him firing again...then he would be a good asset for England...at least we'd have decent cover if Cole does pick up an injury.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 25 Sep 2012, 11:15 pm

yappysnap wrote:A massive amount of Cole's development came from being thrown in at the deep end for the 2009 6N's and especially against France where he was hammered for most of it. I hope SL realises this and gives who ever Cole's understudy will be plenty of actual match time.

I hope Sinckler gets a look in soon, he is a massive (literally) talent and looks good every time he plays for Quins. Hopefully he'll get more time against adults this season.

Sinckler is one of the 30 named in the new Performance Academy. I agree looks a real find.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed 26 Sep 2012, 11:18 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Davy Wilson has the ability...he just seems to have totally lost his way the last few seasons...

Ive said preseason...i hope Mr Gold can have a big affect on him (and Fearns) and get him firing again...then he would be a good asset for England...at least we'd have decent cover if Cole does pick up an injury.....

And he seems to be having an effect on the forwards for certain. I'm underwhelmed by Bath's game plan at present, but he's getting that attitude into the forwards that they've lacked for eons.

Wilson has usually been a dependable scrummager, if not destructive. He was shown up at times when he was forced to play LH for the odd appearance for England, but at TH I can't recall him being dominated. He has shown really well in the loose at times for Bath, but consistency is the name of the game for him and some more work on destructive scrummaging.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 26 Sep 2012, 1:31 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Davy Wilson has the ability...he just seems to have totally lost his way the last few seasons...

I couldn't agree more. I thought Bath had pulled off a coup when they signed him from you, but he has not improved since then. He probably is there for his experience rather than his ability.

England are suffering from a lack of back up to Cole. I think PDJ is better than he is given credit for, but is still along way off Cole. I'm not convinced he has improved in the last year, so this needs to be a massive season for him.

Harden is slowly starting to pick up his form from early last season, but I don't think he warrants a place in the England set-up yet (he does deserve to be in the Saxons though). His technique is improving as is his fitness and work rate in the loose, but he does have a tendency to scrum a bit too high. At present rate of development I can see Shaun Knight over taking him for a starting place within the next year. He needs to do more in the loose, but his scrummaging is showing real potential.

Sinckler looks to have plenty of potential, but at this stage needs to get game time under his belt. I'm pretty sure he's dual reg'd with Esher, so a good season fighting it out in the Championship will hold him in good stead.

I'm still not convinced about Henry Thomas. He has pace and is great in the loose, but I just don't think his scrummaging is up to it. I appreciate injuries are curtailing his development at present, but he's another that needs a good year or so of game time.

Finally, does anyone know if there is any news on Jack Forster? I know he officially left Sale due to injury, but my understanding was that they were going to help him through rehab to try and get him playing again. He was another that showed great potential at an early age.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down