The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Favorite All time XV

+46
BamBam
Taylorman
wise7
meAtwork
pbuk0
robshaw4england
whocares
aucklandlaurie
nganboy
Cryptoyourisan
Mr Bounce
Notch
westisbest
George Carlin
LondonTiger
Casartelli
dallym
ChequeredJersey
HongKongCherry
Feckless Rogue
timhen
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Triangulation
Driver
Rinsure
anotherworldofpain
dummy_half
Submachine
Bathite
af73
offload
bedfordwelsh
rodders
captain carrantuohil
king_carlos
mowgli
Biltong
Poorfour
johnpartle
GunsGerms
kiakahaaotearoa
sirtidychris
HERSH
SecretFly
red_stag
Geordie
50 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Your Favorite All time XV - Page 4 Empty Your Favorite All time XV

Post by Geordie Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Lots of International and Club discussions going on at the moment.

It got me thinkin what would your favorite all time team be...NOT WHO YOU THINKS THE BEST!

Who you've enjoyed watching...for humour or aggression...he may have been a great of the international game or he might not have even been an international ...just a hero of your club....

Many of mine follow my Falcons allegiences...and i dont appologise Very Happy .

1 Nick Popplewell - Falcons prop and had many a pint with the guy away from the rugby grounnd
2 Keith Wood - Just a fantastic player who entertained with his alround game.
3 Carl Hayman - Aside from his NZ exploits...watching him as a one man pack for us was bewildering...and have surfed near the guy at Tynemouth / Whitley bay
4 Norm Hadley - Just a monstrous guy...has anyone heard of his scuffle with noisy boisterous youths on the London Underground?
5 Simon Shaw - The complete second row...could do the lot...and should have had more caps.
6 Tim Rodber - Underrated...tough but quality.....
7 Pat Lam - One of the most complete alround back row players to have played the game...
8 Buck Shelford - Just epitomises strength, fearless aggression...and power.

9 Gary Armstrong - Passion, fierceness, ability, class scrum half...by Scotland produce them!
10 Johnny...need i say more Very Happy
11 Caucau - He may have gone wayward...but on his day...simply breathtaking
12 Scott Gibbs - The immoveable object with skills....
13 Inga Tuigamala - What needs to be said...top drawer in both codes...
14 Jason Robinson - Just sublime...entertainment at its best
15 Cristian Cullen - See Jason Robinson...

HHmmmm alot of actual toughmen over skill ...maybe that shows the type of game i like...but this team would entertain both ferociously and entertainment...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite All time XV - Page 4 Empty Re: Your Favorite All time XV

Post by Geordie Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:I dunno. I just think that picking on a guy for being "dull" when in reality he just doesn't prostrate himself before the media like a jackass and chase the limelight at every opportunity by courting controversy like child or leverage the sport-celebrity status to get away with being a general Muppet is a bit sad. Personally I think maturity is commendable, and if someone doesn't end up on some sad list of "likeable characters" then I hardly see it in a deteramental light on the person in question. I more see it as a reflection of the maturity of those "judging".

I think in this case you're making mountains out of molehills AWOP.

Who else has a nice interesting favourites XV?

How about a non international favorites list...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:I dunno. I just think that picking on a guy for being "dull" when in reality he just doesn't prostrate himself before the media like a jackass and chase the limelight at every opportunity by courting controversy like child or leverage the sport-celebrity status to get away with being a general Muppet is a bit sad.

Personally I think maturity is commendable, and if someone doesn't end up on some sad list of "likeable characters" then I hardly see it in a deteramental light on the person in question. I more see it as a reflection of the maturity of those "judging".

He seems like a down to earth guy who has kept his nose clean, got on with the job and not let it go to his head like a Henson, or a Cirpriani or any of the other clowns that parade around like life is their personal circus.

He's still pretty boring.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 am

GunsGerms wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:I dunno. I just think that picking on a guy for being "dull" when in reality he just doesn't prostrate himself before the media like a jackass and chase the limelight at every opportunity by courting controversy like child or leverage the sport-celebrity status to get away with being a general Muppet is a bit sad.

Personally I think maturity is commendable, and if someone doesn't end up on some sad list of "likeable characters" then I hardly see it in a deteramental light on the person in question. I more see it as a reflection of the maturity of those "judging".

He seems like a down to earth guy who has kept his nose clean, got on with the job and not let it go to his head like a Henson, or a Cirpriani or any of the other clowns that parade around like life is their personal circus.

He's still pretty boring.

Morning Folks.

Really, Guns n Germs, Carter has made huge inroads into addressing the flaws in his personality, and this was evidenced by his deciding to come and live in Auckland, its only going to be a matter before he's on everyones favourite list. we now just have to get him to play for the Blues.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:35 am

Dan Carter's Bucketlist:

(1) Appear as a guest judge on Australia's Next Top Super Model. Flirt gratuitously with Elle McPherson. Accuse one of the contestants of looking pregnant and needing a diet.

(2) Wrangle a golf cart and try to set a land speed record on the wrong side of the Western Motorway.

(3) Get embroiled in some 'laddish japes' in a hotel room with a cleaning lady. Hide behind your host union's legal team when she files charges.

(4) Leap off a Ferry in a harbour, somewhere. Preferably someone else's. Preferably after have the shocking performance earns an early exit from a major tournament.

(5) Appear on grainy iphone camera footage appearing to have a drunken trist with a "family friend" while your wife is pregnant.

(6) Get fat. Get thin. Appear on Strictly Come Dancing on Ice Celebrity Edition.

(7) Walk out on your contract and go to France. Then League for a Division 2 English Club. Then back to Union.

(8) Convert to Hinduism.

(9) Deny ever taking cocaine randomly, whilst in a post-match media conference. But then make a joke about not understanding spanish.

(10) Refuse to sign your NZRU contract until daybreak on game day.

THEN! Only then, will you make it on to the 606v2 Favourite Player list.

ARE YOU LISTENING?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:04 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:Dan Carter's Bucketlist:

(1) Appear as a guest judge on Australia's Next Top Super Model. Flirt gratuitously with Elle McPherson. Accuse one of the contestants of looking pregnant and needing a diet.

(2) Wrangle a golf cart and try to set a land speed record on the wrong side of the Western Motorway.

(3) Get embroiled in some 'laddish japes' in a hotel room with a cleaning lady. Hide behind your host union's legal team when she files charges.

(4) Leap off a Ferry in a harbour, somewhere. Preferably someone else's. Preferably after have the shocking performance earns an early exit from a major tournament.

(5) Appear on grainy iphone camera footage appearing to have a drunken trist with a "family friend" while your wife is pregnant.

(6) Get fat. Get thin. Appear on Strictly Come Dancing on Ice Celebrity Edition.

(7) Walk out on your contract and go to France. Then League for a Division 2 English Club. Then back to Union.

(8) Convert to Hinduism.

(9) Deny ever taking cocaine randomly, whilst in a post-match media conference. But then make a joke about not understanding spanish.

ARE YOU LISTENING?

No that would make him Welsh, possibly but not necessarily more likable. AWOP, there's nothing wrong with being boring. Im sure he prefers to be the way he is. Why do you need Carter to be universally loved? Is it not enough that he is generally accepted as one of the best 10s ever, granted he gets to play behind the best pack in the world. What difference does it make to you? Do you honestly find him really interesting?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:05 am

...would be interesting to see how good he would be if he played for an average team.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:07 am

GunsGerms wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:Dan Carter's Bucketlist:

(8) Convert to Hinduism.

ARE YOU LISTENING?

No that would make him Welsh, possibly but not necessarily more likable. AWOP, there's nothing wrong with being boring. Im sure he prefers to be the way he is. Why do you need Carter to be universally loved? Is it not enough that he is generally accepted as one of the best 10s ever, granted he gets to play behind the best pack in the world. What difference does it make to you? Do you honestly find him really interesting?

I don't feel the need for him to be loved. I am just questioning your taste in the choices you make. Whistle

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 am

I applaud all the intricate research on the topic of Daniel Carter.

Next research project: Do Baboons know they is ugly?

Have them on my desk first thing in the morning!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:24 am

[quote="GunsGerms"]...would be interesting to see how good he would be if he played for an average team.[/quote

My money's on exceptional. I think a good player is actually likely to look better in an average team than in a great one. And it's not like the 10s playing for the ABs before him an after him or
For the Crusaders when he's been injured have been in the same League. They barely play the same sport!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:26 am

I watched with interest when he lined out for Perpignan, then he got injured.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:28 am

He came over to Ireland when he was 18 to discuss a contract with St Mary's. Now that would have been interesting.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:31 am

SecretFly wrote:I applaud all the intricate research on the topic of Daniel Carter.

Next research project: Do Baboons know they is ugly?

Have them on my desk first thing in the morning!

It was long thought that the yellow baboon, which takes its name from the pale brownish-yellow hue of the fur, came from Nubia and the Sudan; it is now known to occur on the west coast, in the form of the Force; but there is a baboon found in the neighbourhood of Kilima-Njaro, on the east coast, which is identified with this species. These baboons generally frequent the outlying parts of the plantations of the natives, subsisting largely on the maize and other products stolen there-from. In certain localities they are extremely numerous, going about in troops composed of about fourteen individuals, not entirely dissimilar to a squad of Wallaby. They have but little fear of man, and instead of running away will turn round and face an intruder, with threatening gestures, at a distance of only a few yards, not unlike Quade Cooper. The natives are in the habit of driving them away from the crops, when the baboons retreat in a leisurely manner, with their cheek-pouches crammed full, and often dragging off some of the plunder in their hands, not unlike the Australian front row after the inevitable scrum collapse.

Last edited by anotherworldofpain on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:47 am; edited 4 times in total

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:32 am

Copy and paste, yawn.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 am

A+ Pain..

even though I'm still not certain all of that makes the yellow baboon realise he's ugly.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 am

Everything is about rugby if you read between the lines.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:49 am

GunsGerms wrote:...would be interesting to see how good he would be if he played for an average team.

And his throwing into the lineout is pathetic....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:50 am

I'd like to change my team please. I'll go for Carter at 10.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:Everything is about rugby if you read between the lines.

The Man said "ugly" not "rugby".

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:06 am

rodders wrote:I'd like to change my team please. I'll go for Carter at 10.

Erm Hug Yahoo thumbsup OK Laugh clap Ale Ale Ale

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:06 am

Hey everybody, stop stealing my 10 choice!! Yous made your morally bankrupt decisions now stick with them Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:09 am

If I had a team I'd have Foxy at 10.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:10 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
If I had a team I'd have Foxy at 10.

Really? Yawn. He's so fricken boring.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:12 am

Don't understand why everyone hasn't chosen Felipe Contepomi as their 10. The guy is awesome.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:14 am

If I had a team it'd be a beach volleyball team and I'd increase it to 15, and I'd have this lady as my 10

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ilQdpRb6C9zUyrYtOVqwiw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MTA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/389/2012/08/01/120722028-jpg-170312-jpg_103245.jpg

Oh she's just given away our secret backs move PX12_7!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:17 am

SecretFly wrote:If I had a team it'd be a beach volleyball team and I'd increase it to 15, and I'd have this lady as my 10

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ilQdpRb6C9zUyrYtOVqwiw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MTA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/389/2012/08/01/120722028-jpg-170312-jpg_103245.jpg

Oh she's just given away our secret backs move PX12_7!

She has a man's hands. I'd be worried what's tucked in the front of that thong SF.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 am

You've encountered some strange men, Pain. They's not men's hands they is toned hands........... I like dexterity in a digit.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:19 pm

vomit Too much information.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 pm

That's your mind, Pain - I'm not responsible for your mind - thank God.
A dexterous digit can do many things that doesn't require an X certificate Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Yeah, I checked again. Those are man-hands.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Enjoy the intricacies of your deliberations. I'll leave you to it Smile

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:18 pm

1- Jason Leonard
2- Keith Wood
3- Garath Chillcot
4- Martin Johnson
5- Wayne Dooley
6- Richard Hill
7- Michael Jones / Winterbottom
8- Micky Skinner
9- Matt Dawson/ Rob Howley
10 - Michael Lynagh
11- Jason Robinson
12- Scott Gibbs
13- BOD
14- Rory Underwood
15- Gavin Hastings

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Always thought it was wade Dooley. Gibbs is proving very popular. Had him in my team too. Great centre.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 am

Christian Cullen
Shane Williams
Allan Bateman
Scott Gibbs
Jonah Lomu
Neil Jenkins
Rob Howley
Gethin Jenkins
Lloyd Burns
Rod Snow
Martin Johnson
John Eales
Danny Lydiate
Colin Charvis
Scott Quinnell

I had to put Shane on the other wing and Snowy on the tighthead, but I had to get them in there. I'll be honest, I wanted to put Aled Brew in there, but Shane and Lomu made me enjoy watching them for longer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:53 am

Apparently Dan Carter has heard us and is endeavouring to become more interesting - according to this morning's Times he's been exchanging twitter messages with Kevin Pietersen Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Kevin Pietersen let me down. Never say you're sorry when you don't mean it...and everyone knows you don't mean it.

Just say, 'they need me so I'm being asked back.'

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:32 pm

KP is gas, sending texts to the opponents. What a plonker. He will probably come back for a while then retire from international cricket and then head off to india for another payday.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by meAtwork Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Coming in a bit late on this thread, here are mine..

Matt dunning - just got to love the pie man
keith woods - comes across as a good bloke
beaumont - like him on telly
eales - I think the man with the most humility
Grewcock - character, love him or hate him
george smith - for the dreds
collins - just awsome physical
lawerance dalagio - think he woudl be fun to have a drink/party with
gregan - tennacious terrier!!!
? prob larkham
? can't think of centre
greening - seems a gent
mortlock - all round good bloke
campo - love the arrogance, backed with skill, sort of Ali like
Serge Blanco - magical

Last edited by meAtwork on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

meAtwork

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:01 am

You've named 13 + 1 man team??? you state you miss a centre but seem to miss a 10? Were you ashamed to mention DC because you find him boring? Why you name Blanco twice?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by meAtwork Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:02 am

SooSorry ry, mouse moved and unknown to it it seems to have select and cut some text!

meAtwork

Back to top Go down

Post by wise7 Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:56 am

15 Geordan Murphy
14 Jason Robinson
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 Seru Rabeni
11 Jonah
10 JM Hernandez
9 Austin Healey
8 Schalk Burger
7 Neil Back
6 Tom Croft
5 Victor Matfield
4 Martin Johnson
3 Castro
2 Sebastien Bruno
1 Rodrigo Roncero

16 Keith Wood
17 Julian White
18 Simon Shaw
19 George Smith
20 Joost
21 Arwel Thomas (Loved watching him because he was SO bad)
22 Scotty Gibbs

Decidedly a Tigers feel to it, would have loved to see Rabeni and Manu paired up in the centres, that would be ridiculous!

wise7

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 am

1.Tony Woodcock
2.Andrew Hore
3.Owen Franks
4.Brodie Retallick
5.Samuel Whitelock
6.Liam Messam
7.Richie McCaw (captain)
8.Kieran Read
9.Aaron Smith
10.Daniel Carter
11.Hosea Gear
12.Ma'a Nonu
13.Conrad Smith
14.Cory Jane
15.Israel Dagg.

Imagine getting that lot together....Wow!

whats that you say????

Theyre playing tomorrow???? Really???

Woohoo...! Gotta go... Run

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:56 am

Just looking back through some old threads....would your teams change from what you thought then?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:46 am

Ah AWOP .. wonder whatever happened to him??  angel 

I didn't have a go at this last time, but will think one up shortly

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:55 am

1. Jason Leonard - Met him once, couldn't have been nicer to a young rugby fan
2. Bismarck Du Plessis - one man I would pick to back me up anytime
3. Phil Vickery - The Bull
4. Martin Johnson - Captain fantastic
5. Victor Matfield - Amazing in the lineout, not bad round the park either
6. Richard Hill - God
7. Neil Back - Can't break up the Trinity
8. Lawrence Dallaglio - That image of him carrying 4 Welshmen over the line is one of my favourite rugby moments
9. Joost - Enough said
10. Jonny - 2003
11. Caucau - If only he had the attitude
12. Will Greenwood - England still haven't replaced him
13. Manu Tuilagi - Would love to see him with Greenwood
14. Jason Robinson - Had to fit him in somewhere
15. Christian Cullen - Only really seen him on youtube, but WOW

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:56 am

Theres a few names from the past.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:31 am

Leonard
G Jenkins
Pricey
Norster
Jonno
Uncle Clive (Burgess)
Merv the Swerve
M Williams

R Jones
Jenkins

Gerald
Gibbs
Greenwood
Duckham

JPR
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:02 am

Sheridan
Oliver
White
Shaw
Grewcock
Smith
Dallaglio
Magne

Pichot
Wilkinson
Lomu
Umaga
Bod
Caucauinibuca
Robinson

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:07 am

It's a hard one...

15- I am getting closer to moving MB top, but with Lewsey and Robinson, O'Connor and Latham options it's so hard
14- Robinson
13- Tait
12- Greenwood
11- Caucau
10- N Evans
9- Care/Pichot
8- Dallaglio
7- McCaw, though Robshaw is pushing hard
6- Hill
5- O'Connell. Have to respect the bastard
4- Shaw (Chris Jack up there)
3- Castrogiovanni
2- Flannery
1- Leonard

But it changes a bit day to day
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:58 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:Mine would be:
1. David Sole
2. Brian Moore
3. Olo Brown
4. Abdel Benazzi
5. Ian Jones
6. Mick Skinner
7. Richard Hill
8. Junior Paramore
9. Joost Van Der Westhuizen
10. Diego Dominguez
11. James Simpson-Daniel
12. Brian Lima
13. Terry Fanolua
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Thomas Castaignede

I could probably pick a completely different XV now!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:50 am

Interesting to see a Glaws fan picking Brian Moore - he had some hilarious altercations with the Shed as noted in his autobiography, although there was mutual admiration I think on both sides.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next