The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Madigan...potential bolter for the Lions?

+25
TJ1
asoreleftshoulder
George Carlin
Looseheaded
Taffineastbourne
bsando
Rugby Fan
Sgt_Pooly
Big Mac Michael
Feckless Rogue
thebluesmancometh
InjuredYetAgain
SecretFly
MDB
Ledge the ledgebag
Geordie
Notch
profitius
B91212
Standulstermen
pete (buachaill on eirne)
100%beefy
wales606
theslosty
Cotupina187
29 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Madigan...potential bolter for the Lions? - Page 2 Empty Madigan...potential bolter for the Lions?

Post by Cotupina187 Thu 27 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sexton seems to be the first choice 10 for the Lions in most peoples eyes, but who will tour with him is certainly up for grabs. Priestland is no doubt going to push Sexton all the way. Laidlaw, Farrell and Flood dont exactly fill me with much enthusiasm.

I expect a big year from Madigan and it seems not just I rate him ahead of ROG as second choice 10 for Ireland. I just hope Kidney gives him a good run out in the AI's. I know he played full back for Leinster at the weekend but I'd like to see him play 12 (is he too small?), D'arcy is finished and has been for a couple of years now.

Has he got any chance of touring?
Could he play 12 for Leinster and possibly Ireland?

Cotupina187

Back to top Go down

Madigan...potential bolter for the Lions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Madigan...potential bolter for the Lions?

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:20 pm

Maybe they aren't better but they have proven it on a higher level, a Lions tour is not a time to test players out.

As I said I rate Madigan but he needs testing on the Int stage.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Madigan...potential bolter for the Lions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Madigan...potential bolter for the Lions?

Post by Looseheaded Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:26 pm

But Pooly it may be worth taking a risky player over somebody who has been tested at International level, but were at best a C grade. I'd personally risk taking one untested player who could light up the side, alongside Sexton and Biggar.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:28 pm

Farrell will tour, he's a top class proven 10.

If Sexton gets injured I wouldn't fancy Madigan coming in.

10 isn't a position to gamble on.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

Pooly are you watching the Sarries game, Farrell's having a pretty poor match so far, just blew a 3 on 1 about 10 metres off the line.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:18 pm

Yea I'm watching it, must be rubbish eh lol

He's not playing poorly though, that was garbage from him.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:19 pm

I'd take Farrell & Wilko (who's playing v well today) over Madigan every time.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:20 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Farrell will tour, he's a top class proven 10.

If Sexton gets injured I wouldn't fancy Madigan coming in.

10 isn't a position to gamble on.

I don't see it being a choice between 2 players,if Madigan did get the call it'd be as a 3rd choice OH who could cover 12 and 15 at a push.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:27 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'd take Farrell & Wilko (who's playing v well today) over Madigan every time.

If it was a one off match I'd take Wilko but it's a series where a young guy can add depth to the squad and cover a few positions so I think Madigan is a far better option.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:30 pm

Madigan won't tour, it's hypothetical really

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:35 pm

He probably won't but unless you've been on the blower to Gatland we don't know yet.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:37 pm

He won't tour 100%

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:41 pm

Then don't worry about it Pooly Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:43 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:He won't tour 100%

He probably won't but unless you've been on the blower to Gatland we don't know yet.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:43 pm

Farrell is having a nightmare at the moment.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:43 pm

I am Gatland Very Happy

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

Farrell certainly did himself no favours today

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:16 pm

You have to say a Sexton, Wilkinson and Madigan package has the best of everything.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:26 pm

theslosty wrote:You have to say a Sexton, Wilkinson and Madigan package has the best of everything.

Yeah, variety. Wilkinson (Da Vinci - master), Sexton (Van Gogh - improviser), Madigan (Picasso - madman)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:42 pm

theslosty wrote:You have to say a Sexton, Wilkinson and Madigan package has the best of everything.

A worthy player, an overhyped hasbeen and an overhyped untested newb?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:43 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Yeah, variety. Wilkinson (Da Vinci - master), Sexton (Van Gogh - improviser), Madigan (Picasso - madman)

Sexton's had a rough time with injuries of late, but surely he isn't entering into ear-severing antics?
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:45 pm

TJ wrote:

Well if you're looking for an underrated, modest type of player, we do have Owen "World Player of the Year" Farrell!
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:48 pm

Draw lots for a compromise. If talent won't swing it, by God a short straw should!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:50 pm

theslosty wrote:
TJ wrote:

Well if you're looking for an underrated, modest type of player, we do have Owen "World Player of the Year" Farrell!

:-)

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 28 Apr 2013, 7:31 pm

SecretFly wrote:

, Madigan (Picasso - madman)
A dodgy haircut does not a madman make! Very Happy

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:25 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:It's not "show boating top players" by picking proven International players.

Players play Int rugby because they are the best in their respective position in their country, Madigan isn't this currently.

Well that rules out Sam Warburton touring.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:28 pm

Burns is better than Farrell...and hopefully in Argentina he will prove it and make that England 10 spot his own.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 29 Apr 2013, 5:29 pm

I think Burns has the worst defensive stats in the AP GF, sure I read it a few weeks back.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Apr 2013, 6:08 pm

I'd personally love Madigan to go on the Lions tour. Just the sort of maverick needed, and I thought his performance at 12 against Biarritz was excellent and full of ambition.

I think Gatland will go with Hook personally as his "utilty" stand-off (and I rate Hook highly), but Madigan certainly has something about him.

Farrell was dog poo yesterday, but he's had a strong season overall. I think he'll still go as second choice, despite Stuart Barnes' best efforts.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 30 Apr 2013, 8:16 am

I can see Gatland taking a punt on Madigan. He has total self-confidence and some of his performances this season have been outstanding. If we're going to Australia to play with ball in hand, he's just the kind of player you'd want.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 30 Apr 2013, 8:27 am

ooooh exciting twitchy bum time. Wouldnt be shocked if Madigan or Scott are the utility bolter covering 10/12/13... 15 announced just after 11am today
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 30 Apr 2013, 9:57 am

Hmm let me see.... will the Welsh coach who hates Ireland select an uncapped back up Leinster fly half ahead of the English golden boy who happens to be the assistant coaches son....... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:03 am

Rodders.... whatever are you suggesting!!?..... is there treachery afoot!!. Actually Madigan coming on for the last 25mins at 10 and creating space for a fired up Jon Davies and BOD or Tualagi tandem is quite mouth watering
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

My fingers are crossed hoping that Gats gives him a go,Wade also would be great pick.Let us have a bit of sparkle in the party.Come on Warren,you know it makes sense!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:26 pm

Told yer Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:31 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Told yer Wink

he wasn't picked. Whether or not he turns up in Australia playing for the Lions is another thing though Wink Anything can happen...just ask young 'wildcard' Stevens.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:34 pm

Stevens is a mad call

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2