The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eric elwood

+2
Submachine
Brendan
6 posters

Go down

Eric elwood Empty Eric elwood

Post by Brendan Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:20 am

There is a rumour going around that Eric is stepping down.

Is this akin to the Ulster situation last year where he was moved aside but allowed to say it was his choice.
Or is it all part of the IRFU's plan to get all 4 provinces playing the same style as we are seeing now with Munster and Ulster.

Who would you like to see as the new coach. There is talk of eddie but would he really do it. What about any assitant coach.

Eric has really helped connacht because he is from their and he is a local. Is there any local person that is up to speed.

If we went with a non connacht man i would like to see a person who will play like the other provinces

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Eric elwood Empty Re: Eric elwood

Post by Submachine Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:34 am

Yeah heard this on the radio this moring. They said it was to spend more time with his family. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.
With no guarantee of HEC rugby next season, I doubt if they could tempt a big name NZ coach. I think Eddie would be favourite for the job and it would be nice to have at least one Irish head coach.
Any possibility Johnny O'Connor might move ito a coaching role when he hangs up his boots?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:41 am

I think that the reason that Eric has done so well is due to him being local. You know how we like or local people. also he has fought with more passion at IRFU level because he loves Connacht and is not just a yes man for the IRFU like others were.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:42 am

What are the AIL coaches like. Do any of them deserve a step up to atleast Assitant.

Who is currently number two in Galway.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 03 Oct 2012, 12:02 pm

Its official isn't it? Its been discussed on here in a few places.

Think Elwood has stepped aside for personal reasons. EOS is rumoured to be the favorite to replace him.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 03 Oct 2012, 2:22 pm

Any chance of him been installed as the next irish coach when Kidneys contract is up? Or at least been involved with the set up.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Wed 03 Oct 2012, 4:24 pm

Golden wrote:Any chance of him been installed as the next irish coach when Kidneys contract is up? Or at least been involved with the set up.

I highly doubt it, he is taking a step back because of the stress involved, I don't think being involved with Ireland would be the stress free environment he is looking for.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 03 Oct 2012, 5:18 pm

Well for one, if Elwood is serious and is stepping away entirely from rugby for the foreseeable future then the loss is to Irish rugby as I believe him to be the best Irish coach operating on these islands today - above Bradley, above O'Shea, who is really a director anyway.

What he's ingrained in Connacht over and over against the odds with little money and the carpet being pulled out from underneath him regarding players, not being able to gain any consistency and yet making his side play with passion, stamina and offensively orientated high tempo resolve is truly admirable.

I think with a side of more resources he would have excelled. Sad day that he has chosen to step away although I obviously appreciate that family and family reasons are always more important than sport.

Eddie? I don't think many of the players there will warm to his style of leadership - it evidently revolves a lot around him being right and alternative views being cold shouldered, remembered and possibly grudges being held. I'm not sure the foreign contingent especially will like his ways....and might tally ho if he gets it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down