The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exeter Chiefs vs Harlequins - build-up, teams and live match-day thread

+10
LondonTiger
Moorsman
doctor_grey
ChequeredJersey
George Carlin
Dubbelyew L Overate
yappysnap
AlastairW
Portnoy's Complaint
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
14 posters

Go down

Exeter Chiefs vs Harlequins - build-up, teams and live match-day thread Empty Exeter Chiefs vs Harlequins - build-up, teams and live match-day thread

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 04 Oct 2012, 7:53 am

Piece from today's WMN:

Exeter Chiefs must play better than at Leicester if they are to defeat Harlequins, says Rob Baxter

Exeter Chiefs head coach Rob Baxter admitted his side would have to produce a much-improved performance if they are to stand a chance of upsetting Aviva Premiership champions Harlequins at Sandy Park on Saturday.

The Chiefs endured a difficult day in the Midlands last weekend, going down 30-8 to a Leicester Tigers team beaten by the Quins in last season's Premiership final at Twickenham.

Quins suffered a setback themselves on Sunday, as their unbeaten record disappeared with a shock 18-16 home defeat to Saracens, who Exeter beat 14-12 the previous weekend at Sandy Park.

It saw Harlequins lose top spot in the table to Northampton Saints, and they will be keen to quickly get back to winning ways on Saturday before the two-week break for the opening rounds of the Heineken Cup.

"If they look at our performance at Leicester, they will probably fancy coming down to Sandy Park and playing a bit and seeing what happens," said Baxter.

"We have got to be better, of course we have. A lot was made on Saturday about Tigers' injury issues, but we have got a few ourselves as well. I am not a big one to talk about it because I like to back the players who get on the pitch.

"Last Saturday, we had some really good performances in the team, and there will be a handful of guys who will look at their game and be really pleased with what they achieved. I don't think we had enough people doing their jobs flat out on Saturday for us. We didn't play to our potential, we were well beaten and we have just got to move on and get on with it."

Baxter said his players needed to get back to how they performed against Saracens in their last Sandy Park outing.

"We showed plenty of spirit and energy against Leicester, but it is about having that in the right directions, and we didn't quite have that on Saturday, and it is our biggest lesson to learn as a team," he said.

"We were disappointed after our defeat at London Welsh, and we followed that with a really intense training week and a really intense performance. Almost because of the Saracens game, it didn't look like our intensity was as good on Saturday as it could have been.

"Those are the lessons you have to learn over a period. Your great teams can push those levels of intensity week in and week out."

Exeter's casualty list includes long-term absentees Josh Tatupu, Craig Mitchell and James Phillips, while Hoani Tui, Kai Hortsmann and Myles Dorrian are also currently on the treatment table, but it is providing the opportunity for other players to stake a claim.

Summer signing Alex Brown, a 22-year-old tight-head prop from Doncaster Knights, made his Premiership debut against Leicester by coming on for the last three minutes, while Carl Rimmer made his full Premiership debut the previous week against Saracens.

"I thought Alex did well when he came on," said Baxter. "It is important for us to know where we stand tight-head wise going forward, with the couple of injuries we have got in that department.

"There were also parts of the game at Welford Road where Carl did well. He definitely found it tougher on Saturday than he did the previous week against Saracens, there is no doubting that, but that is the life of a tight-head.

"We still need to remember that he came to Exeter primarily as a loose-head, he is doing a fantastic job for us, he is working very hard and he will be only better for what happened on Saturday."

Will Alex Brown get the nod to start at TH? Hoping that we see a Shoey/Whitts centre partnership, with a flyer or big Naqer on the wing, with a licence to rove

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Exeter Chiefs vs Harlequins - build-up, teams and live match-day thread Empty Re: Exeter Chiefs vs Harlequins - build-up, teams and live match-day thread

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:28 am

In the lee of an RWC year, I often felt that this season would be more testing year for the Chiefs than last as the start of the season would be inevitably be more demanding. Like the Tigers the week before, the Chiefs had a bad day in the office at WR.

But that sort of encapsulates the emerging pecking order. Quins are proving to be the best team as they deny the opposition possession.Thankfully (reading the reports) I missed last weekend's Sarries game, but you can't see past the Quins come Saturday especially as lthey have become Leinster-like in playing the offside law to the very limit and reap the huge rewards in scavenging at the turnovers.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Exeter Chiefs vs Harlequins - build-up, teams and live match-day thread Empty Re: Exeter Chiefs vs Harlequins - build-up, teams and live match-day thread

Post by AlastairW Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:55 am

Both teams coming off a loss last weekend, and both out with something to prove this week.

Should be a belter! thumbsup

Weather is looking a little overcast but dry, so conditions should be good for the running & off loading game, and hopefully Nev has strapped his boots onto the correct this week.

Exeter at home are notoriously hard, and i'm definatley looking forward to a great game! COYQ!

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:01 am

Should be a very tough game for Quins. Exeter are best at the breakdown and playing it to the very limit, which is what Saracens did to such good effect on Sun. Ruin Quins tempo and as seen they can still struggle, we haven't quite ironed out our 'B' game yet for when teams do this.

If the Chiefs can get to Quins at the breakdown then we will really struggle again, a lot depends on our breakdown work, and if Nev gets his kicking boots on.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:10 am

TH is definitely a conundrum for Chiefs. Robin Cowling will have been busy with the scrum this week, so we'll see how it's resolved. Good to hear that Tui isn't categorised as a "long-term absentee".

I think Dolly may be better regarded than Skywalker at full back at the moment, so he may slot in, with the versatile Jack Nowell regaining his bench spot after injury, and hoping for a debut.

Mumm had a run out at 6 in the A game, so he may be getting close to selection - but ahead of who? I don't know if he's Kolpak, though - I'm not sure who the current non-Kolpak players are, anyway, but I doubt that Chiefs will make another Nadolo mistake.

Hopefully Chiefs will be able to raise their game to match the Quins, but I'm saying Quins by more than 12. My support will be coming from the North Stand for this one, though, and I've never seen the Chiefs lose from there.

Chief Chief Chief

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:36 am

Let's all just hope it's a repeat of the A game.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:42 am

yappysnap wrote:Let's all just hope it's a repeat of the A game.

Let's just hope it's a repeat of the three A games last season Chief

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:01 am

You're living in the past mate! It's only this season that counts... Wink

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:52 am

I know, but past glories are precious when they're few and far between.

The A league Championship is only the second senior trophy Exeter have won, after the RFU Championship, since time immemorial.

Last week's A game sounded pretty entertaining, though, so I'll settle for just that - an entertaining game. Botica was kicking instead of Clegg - is that the shape of things to come?

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:56 pm

Yes Clegg's kicking from the tee has been atrocious for a while now while Botica has a 100% record across the A games and his 10 mins of play against Welsh.

Clegg does kick from hand well if a bit too often. They compliment each other very well at 10/12 and hopefully we'll get to see them run out in those shirts in the LV.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 04 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

Chief
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm

Quins team will likely be:

1. Marler
2. Buchanan/Gray (injury permitting Gray will start)
3. Johnston
4. Robson
5. Kohn
6. Fa'Asavalu- I'd quite like to see Wallace get a run out here for his breakdown work
7. Robshaw
8. Easter
9. Care/Dickson- 50/50 on who'll start
10. Evans
11. Monye
12. JTH
13. Hopper/Lowe (Lowe will start if fit)
14. Stegmann- Really not sure about him, would prefer Smith
15. Brown

16. Ward/Buchanan 17. Collier 18. Lambert 19. Matthews 20. Guest 21. Dickson/Care 22. Clegg 23. Lindsay-Hague

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 04 Oct 2012, 5:47 pm

I said Botica was brought in to play 12 next to Clegg!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Oct 2012, 6:25 pm

Great minds CJ!

I do hope we will get to see that combo in the Prem this season. Or maybe it's being saved for Zebre

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:12 am

Methinks Exe is at a crossroads. Lose and they are 2 wins - 4 losses. Already 11 points behind Saints, the current leaders. And if Saints defeat London Irish, as is likely, Exe will have a pretty big hole to climb out of if they lose to Quins. I have a sneaking suspicion Exeter will shade this one, but close. Probably real close.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:59 am

Interesting piece on the AP site:

The Exeter Chiefs' Ironmen

Exeter will play their 50th Premiership game this weekend. James Scaysbrook, Tom Hayes and Tom Johnson have played in all 49 so far, thereby all racking up their 50th successive Premiership game if they appear against Harlequins on Saturday, writes Stuart Farmer.

In the history of the Premiership just a dozen players have played in 50 consecutive matches, the record being held by Gloucester's Alex Brown with 87 in a row between 2000-04. Michael Claassens has appeared in Bath's last 75 Premiership encounters and counting, since April 2009.

James Scaysbrook has in fact started all 49 games for Exeter, just three players have started 50 successive Premiership matches: only Tom Voyce (58), Jamie Noon (56) and Alex Brown (51) got there before him.
During his incredible run Scaysbrook has failed to be on the pitch when the final whistle has blown on just two occasions. He's missed a grand total of just 51 minutes of Exeter's total playing time in the Premiership, with half an hour of that spent during three spells in the sinbin![

Pretty sure they are wrong about TJ, and I'm sure that Tommy Hayes missed a game at the beginning of last season - nonetheless, respect

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 05 Oct 2012, 8:16 am

Respect for certain. For their own sake, hopefully they can find a spark to upend Harlequins. From Quin's pov they can eliminate the Exeter threat for the next portion of the season with a win. Will be tight.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 05 Oct 2012, 12:27 pm

Quins team is out:

Harlequins have named the team that will play Exeter Chiefs in round 6 of the Aviva Premiership at Sandy Park (kick-off 3pm).
There are two changes to the starting line-up of the team that lost to Saracens last week. Among the backs, Karl Dickson starts ahead of Danny Care and in the forwards, Mark Lambert makes his first start of the season, at loose head, with Joe Marler covering from the bench.

George Lowe this morning (Friday October 5th) has had surgery to remove a bone fragment from his ankle. The Harlequins centre is due to return in around six weeks.

Harlequins team

15 Mike Brown
14. Seb Stegmann
13. Matt Hopper
12. Jordan Turner-Hall
11. Ugo Monye
10. Nick Evans
9. Karl Dickson

1. Mark Lambert
2. Joe Gray
3. James Johnston
4. Olly Kohn
5. George Robson
6. Tom Guest
7. Chris Robshaw ©
8. Nick Easter

16. Rob Buchanan
17. Joe Marler
18. Will Collier
19. Charlie Matthews
20. Maurie Fa'asavalu
21. Danny Care
22. Rory Clegg
23. Ollie Lindsay-Hague

I'll tell you what; I'm not actually too sure about that team. There are a few questionable players in there and to be honest I can see Exeter winning this one.

Lambert is a good club player but only that. Guest is struggling for form at the moment, a good impact sub but i'm not sure about starting. Stegmann looks nervous under the high ball and makes poor decisions in attack and defence. Hopper can light a game up but still has defence issues and needs to work on when to pass and when to run.

I might just be having a negative moment though and hopefully the boys will prove me wrong.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:25 pm

look on the brightside Yaps - good to see Dickson get a start, he's better than his brother and i think Care/Dickson should rotate - he has been exceptional the appearances he's had this season.

Lambert's going to need pitch time when the AI'/6N calls in place of Marler, so might as well start now Wink

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:31 pm

I think Guest's form is pretty good, better than Mo's! Lambert I agree, and shame Lowe still isn't fit to replace Hopper. Stegmann will be fine
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Moorsman Fri 05 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

Here's the Chiefs squad:
15 Luke Arscott
14 Ian Whitten
13 Phil Dollman
12 Jason Shoemark
11 Matt Jess
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Haydn Thomas
1 Brett Sturgess
2 Simon Alcott
3 Carl Rimmer
4 Dean Mumm
5 James Hanks
6 Tom Johnson
7 Ben White
8 Richard Baxter (capt)

16 Neil Clark
17 Ben Moon
18 Chris Budgen
19 Aly Muldowney
20 Dave Ewers
21 Will Chudley
22 Ignacio Mieres
23 Sireli Naqelevuki

some interesting changes there with Tommy Hayes, Scays and Whitehead taking well earned rests (guess they'll be starting v Leinster). Dean Mumm gets his first start since arriving fron Oz and Steeno gets to start for a change.
Moorsman
Moorsman

http://www.thechiefstribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 05 Oct 2012, 5:33 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Interesting piece on the AP site:

The Exeter Chiefs' Ironmen

Exeter will play their 50th Premiership game this weekend. James Scaysbrook, Tom Hayes and Tom Johnson have played in all 49 so far, thereby all racking up their 50th successive Premiership game if they appear against Harlequins on Saturday, writes Stuart Farmer.

In the history of the Premiership just a dozen players have played in 50 consecutive matches, the record being held by Gloucester's Alex Brown with 87 in a row between 2000-04. Michael Claassens has appeared in Bath's last 75 Premiership encounters and counting, since April 2009.

James Scaysbrook has in fact started all 49 games for Exeter, just three players have started 50 successive Premiership matches: only Tom Voyce (58), Jamie Noon (56) and Alex Brown (51) got there before him.
During his incredible run Scaysbrook has failed to be on the pitch when the final whistle has blown on just two occasions. He's missed a grand total of just 51 minutes of Exeter's total playing time in the Premiership, with half an hour of that spent during three spells in the sinbin![

Pretty sure they are wrong about TJ, and I'm sure that Tommy Hayes missed a game at the beginning of last season - nonetheless, respect

Chief

Johnso missed the game against Sarries I thought. Hayes was on the bench for one game last season but made an appearance.

Shame that Scaysbrook is not playing - 50 consecutive starts would have been impressive.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 05 Oct 2012, 5:47 pm

Chief
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:31 pm

That's the spirit, c21st, I tell you it's catching this Chief thingy

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:43 pm

Good luck mate - and watch out Shocked for blood capsules

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm

Nah we've moved on to removable fake limbs.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:07 am

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:47 am

Looking forward to seeing how Dean Mumm goes. Would have liked to see a Shoey-Whitts centre pairing, but not to be. Expect Ben White and Steeno will be looking to put down markers

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:56 am

Moorsman wrote:Tommy Hayes, Scays and Whitehead taking well earned rests (guess they'll be starting v Leinster)
*****NEWSFLASH*****
"Premiership team in resting players for the Heineken cup shocker"

So this is what it's like to be a cross league wum Sad

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 06 Oct 2012, 11:12 am

Gameday! Def nervous now....

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 06 Oct 2012, 12:05 pm

Great day for Rugby. Weather is perfect. Great day to be out.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 06 Oct 2012, 6:10 pm

Chief
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 06 Oct 2012, 6:16 pm

See we lost. Anyone watch the match? 2 losses in a row makes me a bit worried
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 06 Oct 2012, 6:16 pm

Well done cheifs... Fantastic result...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:31 pm

Told you I was nervous about this game!

Well done Chiefs, by all accounts you completely out played us.

Worrying form to go to Europe on the back of.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:53 pm

From the Quins forum:

By Rodders
October 6 2012

Final score 42-25 !! Exeter score 5 tries against Quins !! Not so much a banana skin as a whole truck full of the best yellow organic material that money can buy. The game belonged to Exeter from the off.

Exeter had all the possession for the first 30 minutes or so of the first half and I am sure Exeter felt aggrieved that they went in at 16-18 down.

It would be impossible to disagree with them.

Exeter played in what has been of late, the classical Quins style, ball in hand, attacking at all times and from anywhere.

Quins didn’t play at all.

Against the run of play NeV charged down a kick and scored and in the last play of the first half Quins scored with what was their first real attacking move of the game.

At half time Quins had also scored 2 tries to Exeter’s 1 so it appeared that we were well and truly back in the game .

Half Time Quins 18 Exeter 16

Contemplating the game at half time a win seemed reasonable, a bonus point loss the worst that could happen, a loss with no bonus point seemed out of the question.

However, disaster struck 5 minutes into the second half.

Exeter score a try and NeV has to go off to be replaced by Rory Clegg.

At this point a pall of gloom settled over this spectator but Clegg converts a penalty.

After another good period of play from Exeter, and a correspondingly poor period from Quins, Rory Clegg intercepts and Karl D scores under the posts – all is not lost - but Oh yes it is !

Exeter quickly score three more tries, and they deserve them !

Final Score Exeter 42 Quins 25

Have Quins lost their pride and passion?

What has happened to their Commitment ?

Such a defeat for the Champions is the culmination of a worrying chain of events – starting at the London Double header.

This loss to Exeter was always a possibility but I am sure we all felt that the sheer quality of the team would carry us through, and so it should of done.

But it didnt

It would be easy to criticise individuals but today was a team failure and it would be uncharitable to focus on individuals.

We know we have weaknesses but it is now up to the team and the squad to get its head together and sort out the problem.

I really cant think of a good thing to say about Quins game today.

We don’t even have the weather or the ref to blame.

Quins, cut the crap and get on with the game.

None of my comments should take away any thing from a genuinely fine performance from a very good Exeter side. Their performance will, I am sure be one of the high lights of their season, particularly if we get our mojo back !

I’m sure that it was a very quiet bus ride home and that CoS will have one or two things to say on Monday

Today the Game and History belong to Exeter.

Well done Exeter

Not sure if he's totally correct and I havent seen any highlights of the game yet but to be honest I expect COS to tear the boys a new one over this result.

A big game is needed and expected next weekend.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:32 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Moorsman Sat 06 Oct 2012, 10:58 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Chief
+1 Yahoo ChiefYahoo
Moorsman
Moorsman

http://www.thechiefstribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:05 am

What a result for Exe Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:37 am

bah

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:40 am

Congratulations Ex, sounds like you were all over us. Hopefully this will act as a kick up the arse for Quins. Obviously I don't want a loss but this kind of match can help a team kick on, I want to see us back with a vengeance in Europe and a really good team would follow a result like this with a blowout (within reason)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:46 am

Asbo,

Chief and The Warriors winning. You must be rather chuffed !

clap

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 08 Oct 2012, 8:49 am

Have yet to watch the match, but by all accounts it was all Chiefs in the second half. Congrats Exeter clap

... We'll look to return the favour when we host you at the Stoop Wink

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down