The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heineken Cup Round 1: Clermont Auvergne v Scarlets (Sat) TEAMS ANNOUNCED

+17
wales606
BristolTaff
Draigoch
thebluesmancometh
maestegmafia
Morgannwg
gowales
LondonTiger
PenfroPete
BigTrevsbigmac
tatterd
PhilBB
ScarletSpiderman
Jenifer McLadyboy
LordDowlais
red_stag
Smirnoffpriest
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Heineken Cup Round 1: Clermont Auvergne v Scarlets (Sat) TEAMS ANNOUNCED - Page 4 Empty Heineken Cup Round 1: Clermont Auvergne v Scarlets (Sat) TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 10 Oct 2012, 3:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Heineken Cup Pool 5
Venue: Stade Marcel Michelin Date: Saturday, 13 October Kick-off: 16:40 BST
TEAMS
ASM Clermont Auvergne: 15 Lee Byrne, 14 Sitiveni Sivivatu, 13 Aurelien Rougerie, 12 Wesley Fofana, 11 Naipolioni Nalaga, 10 Brock James, 9 Morgan Parra
8 Damien Chouly, 7 Gerhard Vosloo, 6 Julien Bonnaire, 5 Nathan Hines, 4 Jamie Cudmore, 3 Davit Zirakashvili, 2 Benjamin Kayser, 1 Thomas Domingo.

Bench - 16 Ti'i Paulo, 17 Vincent Debaty, 18 Daniel Kotze, 19 Julien Pierre, 20 Elvis Vermeulen Loic Jacquet, 21 Ludovic Radosavljevic, 22 David Skrela, 23 Benson Stanley.

Scarlets:Li Williams, G North, J Davies, Sc Williams, M Stoddart, R Priestland, T Knoyle,
P John, M Rees, S Lee, G Earle, J Snyman, A Shingler, J Turnbull, R McCusker (c),

Bench -: K Owens, S Hopkins, D Manu, S Timani, K Murphy, G Davies, A Thomas, G Maule.

Referee: Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)

Lock Tomas Vallejos is an 'option' for the Scarlets ahead of their Heineken Cup clash with Clermont Auvergne.

The 27-year-old, who signed from Harlequins in the summer, has been on Test duty with Argentina in the Rugby Championship.

The Scarlets face Clermont in Pool 5 at the Stade Marcel Michelin on Saturday.

"He is an option, but it is difficult with the lineout calls to throw someone straight in," said Simon Easterby, the Scarlets coach.

"He will be considered and the good thing is that we have players who have performed in the last few weeks and have earned the right to be selected as well."

The Pumas second row flew in from Argentina this week following the completion of the southern hemisphere's Rugby Championship.

He only appeared once during the Pumas' campaign — as a replacement during the home defeat to the All Blacks — so it is unlikely he will be involved in the Pool 5 clash at the Stade Marcel Michelin.

But his arrival will add further strength to the region's front-five resources.

"He is a player we looked at last season, playing for Harlequins in the Premiership," said Easterby.

"We are really pleased that he is able to sign but unfortunately he has missed a big chunk of the start of the season being at the Rugby Championship.

"He has come in and been really positive and enthusiastic and offers a slightly different second row option."

A trip to France does not hold any fears for the Scarlets, who beat Castres on their own patch in the Pool stages of last season's tournament.

Coach Simon Easterby, who is in his first season in charge at Parc Y Scarlets, reached three semi-finals with Llanelli and the Scarlets before the turn of the decade but each ended in a heart-breaking defeat.

The former Ireland flanker tasted defeat to Northampton Saints in 2000 and Leicester Tigers in 2002 and 2007 as he and his team-mates threatened to become the first Welsh team to lift Europe's most-coveted trophy.

But since those heady days, the Scarlets have failed to qualify for the Heineken Cup knockout stages since they were beaten by the Tigers at the then Walkers Stadium some five-and-a-half years ago.

The Scarlets do face a tough Pool , with Heineken Cup holders Leinster and last season's beaten semi-finalists ASM Clermont Auvergne and exciting English debutants Exeter Chiefs in their Pool.

The Scarlets did reach the Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-finals last season but were beaten 15-11 by Brive on French soil. Clermont lifted the same trophy in 1999 and 2007.

The Scarlets need just 14 points to reach the tournament 2,500 points mark, while David Skrela, the Clermont Auvergne fly-half, needs just 17 points to become only the seventh player to score 500 Heineken Cup points.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19883003

A HEC campaign start doesn't get more difficult that this - lets hope the Scarlets pack really step up and can stop Clermont to some degree. It'll be very tough and I really hope we don't pick up any injuries - a losing bonus point is a must if we want to try and qualify, but a win would be a bonus (if unlikely).

Last edited by Smirnoffpriest on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm; edited 3 times in total

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Heineken Cup Round 1: Clermont Auvergne v Scarlets (Sat) TEAMS ANNOUNCED - Page 4 Empty Re: Heineken Cup Round 1: Clermont Auvergne v Scarlets (Sat) TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Post by Morgannwg Sat 13 Oct 2012, 5:28 pm

Well don't because you just sound ridiculous. Scarlets have spent the majority of this 2nd half in the Clermont half with the majority of posession and have failed to get any points. Now Clermont has just got their 6th try after some more poor decisions made by the Scarlets (which clearly outweight any good decisions made, if any); can you still claim Scarlets played well with a good defence?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Heineken Cup Round 1: Clermont Auvergne v Scarlets (Sat) TEAMS ANNOUNCED - Page 4 Empty Re: Heineken Cup Round 1: Clermont Auvergne v Scarlets (Sat) TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Post by offload Sat 13 Oct 2012, 5:31 pm

LondonTiger wrote:ack wrongthread - again

Tiger, I was really confused there for a minute Very Happy
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Oct 2012, 5:35 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Well don't because you just sound ridiculous. Scarlets have spent the majority of this 2nd half in the Clermont half with the majority of posession and have failed to get any points. Now Clermont has just got their 6th try after some more poor decisions made by the Scarlets (which clearly outweight any good decisions made, if any); can you still claim Scarlets played well with a good defence?

Considering that scarlets were down to fourteen men vs fifteen for nearly fifty minutes, world class players throughout the CA team from 1-23.

Yes I do think scarlets did well.

They will be much better in their remaining games. Being just fourteen men makes a huge difference.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 13 Oct 2012, 5:39 pm

I don't agree with your analysis Maesteg - but I certainly admire your optimism.
Hug
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 13 Oct 2012, 5:42 pm

I think CA are potential tournament winners. That doesn't force myself or any other fan into a position of digging up excuses for losing quite convincingly. Some may admire your optimism but it's just grown a bit irritating for me Rolling Eyes.

Anyway, if Scarlets have some more SA beef in the pack come the return fixture I reckon they'll turn this one around, look to beat up Clermont and win the game. Easier said than done but it will take a lot of work between now and then.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 13 Oct 2012, 7:57 pm

offload wrote:I don't agree with your analysis Maesteg - but I certainly admire your optimism.
Hug

"LOL"!

Brilliant synopsis to everything Maes has ever written on here. Very Happy

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:04 pm

Casartelli wrote:
offload wrote:I don't agree with your analysis Maesteg - but I certainly admire your optimism.
Hug

"LOL"!

Give it a rest Casterelli.

Dissagree if you want, I don't mind but personal attacks will get reported if they carry on.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:14 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Casartelli wrote:
Hug

"LOL"!

Give it a rest Casterelli.

Dissagree if you want, I don't mind but personal attacks will get reported if they carry on.

Cool the engines Maes, you've missed the point completely. The key word is ADMIRE. I may not agree with a lot of what you say but I respect anyone who can remain so optmistic in this current climate.

Report away, I've never 'personally attacked' anyone in my life - aside from Gibbsy once in a game of 7s - the 606v2 committee would prob give me a plaque for teamwork in sticking up for you!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:18 pm

Apology accepted

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:19 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Apology accepted

Nope - didn't apologise 'cos didn't do anything wrong. What's up butt? Thought you'd be in a good mood today?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 14 Oct 2012, 3:03 pm

how did samson lee do?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 14 Oct 2012, 11:06 pm

Well scrum fell apart after he left.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 14 Oct 2012, 11:30 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Well scrum fell apart after he left.

I think the Scarlets were getting stuffed up front before Lee went off. Penalty try was just after half time.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 12:52 am

That was not Lees fault was it...!!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 15 Oct 2012, 7:31 am

maestegmafia wrote:That was not Lees fault was it...!!

Not solely - the whole front row buckled.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:03 am

It was a very early shove.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:08 am

Epic weekend in Clermont.

They have the best fans, the best stadium and the best atmosphere.

The first half was absolutely incredible, but going down to 14 men for 50 mins of the match made what was already a difficult task pretty much impossible.

Really proud of the Scarlets though, not one of them left anything out there on the pitch, they gave abolutely everything, and even managed 20 mins in the 2nd half without concecing a point which was excellent under the circumstances.

We also created 3 try scoring chances 2nd half which unfortunately we couldn't take Sad

All the Clermont fans were v annoyed that a red card had been given, they all felt it ruined the game as a contest and didn't think the scoreline reflected the match at all (then again they were drunk and probs just benig nice Wink )

Regan King was sat up in the Scarlets fans section so was great to see him.

Just an amazing weekend, can't recommend a trip to Clermont enough. Best rugby atmosphere I've ever experienced.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:12 am

Cheers RD, glad to here you had a good time, despite the result. Scarlets played really well, and like you said were very unfortunate victims of conceding a silly red card far more than anything else.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:13 am

Aye Maes, we were winning for the first 37 mins, and we even managed to keep their crowd fairly quiet first half (which trust me takes a lot of doing!).

A lot of our players had their best game for us for a long while, but down to 14 men and our lineout going haywire in the 2nd half really cost us. A lot of positives to take from it, although with our injury concerns, this weekends match could be very very tough for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:22 am

Read through the thread, I completely agree with you, the big differences were when Stodd's was sent off. A harsh situation but unfortunately the correct call. When Rees left for Ken Owens, who's throwing was awful. And when Manu came on Scarlets lost more battles in the scrum and loose.

As you say they still created, they still pushed and they defended their hearts out. I think they will do well, just need to be a bit more careful on the card situation. But I m sure Stoddart knows that more than anyone right now.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:26 am

ah the 2nd yellow you can't argue with, first I thought was v harsh as did all the Clermont fans.

It's a shame as this game could have been an absolute classic.

I won't read the thread I don't think. I thoroughly enjoyed myself out there despite the scoreline and just couldn't be prouder of the effort they gave. When you see that your players have literally given everything, you just can't ask for more. Just really hope we've gotten lucky with the injuries.

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:32 am

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I will put my neck on the line and say the Scarlets will win this one, they always start the HC with a bang, I think they could catch Clermont with thier trowsers down.

With Fitzgibbon as ref?

Prescient.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:34 am

rugbydreamer wrote:ah the 2nd yellow you can't argue with, first I thought was v harsh as did all the Clermont fans.

It's a shame as this game could have been an absolute classic.

I won't read the thread I don't think. I thoroughly enjoyed myself out there despite the scoreline and just couldn't be prouder of the effort they gave. When you see that your players have literally given everything, you just can't ask for more. Just really hope we've gotten lucky with the injuries.

I hope so too. I was very disappointed that the red ruined what was a very good contest previously.

I am sure the Scarlets will be out to set records straight over the coming months and CA will get a tough game at PYS

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:50 am

rugbydreamer wrote:Epic weekend in Clermont.

They have the best fans, the best stadium and the best atmosphere.

The first half was absolutely incredible, but going down to 14 men for 50 mins of the match made what was already a difficult task pretty much impossible.

Really proud of the Scarlets though, not one of them left anything out there on the pitch, they gave abolutely everything, and even managed 20 mins in the 2nd half without concecing a point which was excellent under the circumstances.

We also created 3 try scoring chances 2nd half which unfortunately we couldn't take Sad

All the Clermont fans were v annoyed that a red card had been given, they all felt it ruined the game as a contest and didn't think the scoreline reflected the match at all (then again they were drunk and probs just benig nice Wink )

Regan King was sat up in the Scarlets fans section so was great to see him.

Just an amazing weekend, can't recommend a trip to Clermont enough. Best rugby atmosphere I've ever experienced.

I'm not surprised you enjoyed the weekend we had a great time when Wasps were out there. It doesn't get much tougher CA away.
Next up Leinster & a win is vital, Exeter showed you the way. It's a tough group this one but well done to the Scarlet players for not letting their heads drop.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:56 am

Aye, I reckon we've the beating of Leinster in us, just all depends on our injuries.

Shingler didn't look good, McCusker all but knocked himself out putting in a crunching tackle on Sivivatu which probs saved a try, Scott Williams' knee isn't looking good, Foxy may have torn his abductor and Liam Williams' leg wasn't in a good way either.

Walking wounded is what we are!

Put in that level of effort again though and anything is possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:01 am

Are you guys kidding? Lee got mullered in the scrum, if anything Many locked the hell out of that scrum, even french commentators said it, if Manu was in instead of Lee there would probably not have been a penalty try.

John was doing a bit of a job on the much vaunted Zirakashvili too.

*Manu

Last edited by VinceWLB on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:28 am

VinceWLB wrote:Are you guys kidding? Lee got mullered in the scrum, if anything Many locked the hell out of that scrum, even french commentators said it, if Manu was in instead of Lee there would probably not have been a penalty try.

I agree to a certain extent but the whole front row/2nd row were second best the big disparity was the forwards in the loose.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:31 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Are you guys kidding? Lee got mullered in the scrum, if anything Many locked the hell out of that scrum, even french commentators said it, if Manu was in instead of Lee there would probably not have been a penalty try.

I agree to a certain extent but the whole front row/2nd row were second best the big disparity was the forwards in the loose.

Yes totally agreed, Vosloo in particular was really a pain in the arse at the breakdown.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4