The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should a Referee be seen and not heard (off the pitch)?

5 posters

Go down

Should a Referee be seen and not heard (off the pitch)? Empty Should a Referee be seen and not heard (off the pitch)?

Post by jeff stones dad Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 8:51

Refrees have become heard more during games due to the need to manage the set piece, defensive lines, communicating with linesmen and TMO etc. I do not have a problem with this however in my Part of Wales one referee in particular has utilised his fame as a professional referee to forge a career for himself in the media.

Do you think this is healthy for the game of rugby?

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Should a Referee be seen and not heard (off the pitch)? Empty Re: Should a Referee be seen and not heard (off the pitch)?

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 9:26

No sure who the referee you are talking about is but I find it a bit refreshing to see a referee talk about the game off the field.

I know some of the Leinster based referees do a session in the Laighin Out bar after a Leinster game each year for a Q&A session which is usually a good session by all accounts. The more you hear referees talk, the more they show you how they love the game, love freeflowing rugby and they are just enforcing the rules. It dulls down some of the myths out there that there are certain referees just seeking attention.

Drawing from NFL, the former head referee Mike Perriera (spelling?) is now an expert reference for the TV companies, and often gets brought in to explain the good decision (or missed decision) that a referee might have made in a game. Not sure if it would work in rugby, but if you see it in NFL games they have it seemlessly added to the commentary booth.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Should a Referee be seen and not heard (off the pitch)? Empty Re: Should a Referee be seen and not heard (off the pitch)?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 9:31

jeff - are you on about Nigel? To be honest he was an entertainer before he became a ref, and he only started out on TV because he was on Jiffy's show. And to be fair is it any different than Derek Bevan (and otheres i am sure) having a book?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 9:37

You hit the nail on the head SS. I take your point, however did Derek Bevan exploit his sexuality in his book? Did he twiter that he had broken up with his partner, I think not. I am not homophobic far from it, maybe I am old fashion.

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 9:46

I can see where your coming from, but I ain't too sure nigel is really exploiting it. He admits about his eating disorder etc in his book, and how he makes himself throws up before matches (still apparently) etc, but nobody has taken that and made a fuss about it.

Twitter is not used for people to comunicate with friends and family, so I can understand why people post personal stuff on there, if me and my misses split (and i did the whole facebook twitter thing), i would probablypost something like that on there.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 9:48

Then it must be me! lol

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 9:52

Jeff,

Do you feel this way about a coach or a player "utilising their fame as a professional to forge a career for themselves in the media"

I can understand if the concept bothers you.

I would find it strange if you would hold a referee to a different standard to the others.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 10:00

As I said I must be old fashioned!

You dont see Wayne Barnes commenting on general legal issues despite being a barrister in law etc.

Does Alain Roland appear on entertainment shows in Eire?

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 10:08

Jeff how is it old fashioned. You dont mind players and coaches using their reputations to further and off field career.

Peter Clohessy has his "Sin Bin" night club in Limerick, many international rugby players charge upto £1000 as an after dinner speaker at events, we had Brian O'Driscoll getting cash for product placement (drinking Powerade with the logo held aloft) in front of the cameras.

With regards to referees in Ireland the top refs (Rolland, Clancy, Fitzgibbon, Lewis, Lacey etc) are all amateurs and therefore have day jobs.

No more so than you or me they need to do well in those jobs and I have no doubt that when people ring up Alan Lewis insurance company the fact they are dealing with an international class referee played a role.

I dont see how you are being "old fashioned". It just looks like double standards.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 10:21

Red Stag

My post asked?

"Do you think this is healthy for the game of rugby?."

I never said I had a problem with it, the post was only ever intended to provoke dialogue. Wink

I am old fashioned - As an ex player and coach (Amateur) I firmly belive that Rugby is fundamentaly first about the teams and clubs.

I dont have double standards - maybe I am old school - good luck to him I say! Live and let live! Hug

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 10:37

Jeff's old man - I can see what you meant, I guess in the modern day, and especially in Wales Nigel is the only ref that does do anything outside of the rugby world in order to promote themselves in the public eye. I wouldn't say your old fashioned, personally I try to keep me at work and me at home as totally different people, and i try my damnedest to ensure that the moment i clock out of work i am not thinking or talking about the job. However I guess some folk are different, and Nige is one of those people who does seem to want to be in the limelight, and his work gives him an excellent platform.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 10:39

Spiderman

Spot on!

Any way you watching the Scarlets on the weekend? I'll be in Glamorgan Wanderers watching the Otters!

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 10:48

I'm in work grabbing on the Saturday, but will hopefully be able to my old mans (up on the hills) before the Sky coverage begins. Fair play Narbeth ain't going too bad right now.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 10:52

Their playing some really good rugby to be fair!

Do you fancy the Scarlets against Clermont? It going to be a tough one!

Last edited by jeff stones dad on Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 10:52; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 12:09

I think it will be a loss this weekend, but I tend to feel that most weekends right until kick off. The Scarlets side looks ok, but until I see the ASM side I will hold judgement.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 12 Oct 2012 - 13:44

I thought this thread was going to be about the ref being mic'ed up...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Mon 15 Oct 2012 - 7:27

LP - That could be another topic!!!

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down