The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 - Will Anyone Be Watching?

+15
sportslover
break_in_the_fifth
dummy_half
CaledonianCraig
JuliusHMarx
bogbrush
socal1976
carrieg4
User 774433
hawkeye
Henman Bill
barrystar
Josiah Maiestas
Haddie-nuff
sirfredperry
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2013 - Will Anyone Be Watching? Empty 2013 - Will Anyone Be Watching?

Post by Guest Tue 16 Oct 2012, 9:57 am

90 miles.

That is the amount of miles Murray has clocked on court this year alone. That is a hell of a lot of miles. He has played 66 matches this year. On average he runs 1.3 miles per match. Now I have yearned for British success and when Andy delivered this year, I expected to feel more euphoric than I already have and tennis and me as a fan are in transition. For the larger part this year I feel like tennis has struggled with identity. It is strange. Take Roddick. His last match. Despite being the partisan favourite, I didn't feel the connection. He was almost thankful he was done with it. Take Agassi when he retired and that scene was amazing. The outpour of emotion and there was a genuine connection even though it would've been hard to guess that deep down Agassi detested tennis.

I feel as if the players are disconnected with the fans in such a large way it is quite alarming. Fognini is someone who for me plays to the crowd. Tsonga another who engages the crowd. Playing with a smile to provide smiles. Djokovic does to an extent. He will play a great point and immerse himself with the crowd and then go cold. Maybe if he rode the momentum with the crowd he might just be someone who excites the crowd. When you watch players, besides the brand and standard of tennis I think the players who are ones people pay to watch are those who can engage the crowd and indulge their emotions.

Take the current players. Federer plays with ease and quality and that alone is worth the admission fee. With Djokovic and Nadal, they have moments of engaging the crowd, but lack really the energy to carry that momentum of energy. Murray, well he provides the 'Kids put your fingers in your ears' moments. It is harder for him given the surly nature of his character.

When you watch players like Tsonga or Fognini, results will follow you and given the lack of success casts a shadow over them. You would say "Great personalities and good players. Could've done more if they had 'focused' more" now there's that key word. Focus. Djokovic epitomises that. Early days he wanted to share a laugh with the crowd and crack jokes. Not that it is a crime. When his focus sharpened he became more successful, with his personality on court slightly sacrificed for the good of his career.

As we near the end of 2012, I am somewhat meh. Is tennis providing a lure for me to comeback as a fan next year? I don't know.

Watching a 7-5 set take 1 hour and 10 minutes was really pushing it and it left me thinking could it get any slower than that?

I go back to the US Open and think I really hope that that standard of tennis to win a Slam is not replicated. I know that Andy won't play every match like that as the conditions made for a tricky match, though Shanghai was pretty close.

Is there enough in tennis right now to keep you going into 2013? For me I am just hanging on.

Back to top Go down

2013 - Will Anyone Be Watching? Empty Re: 2013 - Will Anyone Be Watching?

Post by sirfredperry Tue 16 Oct 2012, 10:46 am

LKV2 - sorry you appear to feel a little short changed. 2013 ought to offer plenty to get excited about. Can Rafa come back, how long will Fed go on, can Andy get more slams, how long will Djoko be top, will anyone break up the big-four domination ?
And that's just the men. In the women we have the possibility of Robson/Watson rising in the rankings while Azashrieker - very noisy but at least, and at last, a worthy number one - will continue to be pursued at the top.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 16 Oct 2012, 11:08 am

awwwwww LK you have been missing Rafa thats your problem Whistle Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 16 Oct 2012, 11:19 am

On average he runs 1.3 miles per match.
Normally his matches take about 1.5 hours in bo3. In that case he's not running very much at all.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:31 pm

I'm amazed at how little he runs in a match if it's only 1.3 miles (although it is high-energy shuttle running in short bursts so knackering I agree).

Right now I'll watch - if SF's and F's between the top guys routinely become 3-4hr (bo3) or 4-5hr (bo5) grindathons with near identikit long rallies I'll start to get turned off. If Fed decided to retire right now the game would lack a top player who plays more aggressively and that would be very bad news IMO. Hopefully Fed can continue until some other player(s) can emerge who add(s) attacking balance to the 3 great returners we have at the top of the game now.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:58 pm

Definately be watching. Robson/Watson's performances have added to my interest. I certainly don't watch shrieking Sharapova/Azarenka finals.

But men's tour looks exciting for 2013. The battle for no 1 could be a 3-way battle for the first half of the year. And Rafa's return..

OK, so Djokovic rarely hits a ball into the crowd fo fun or responds to marriage proposals with witty comments, it doesn't reduce the quality of the tennis.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 16 Oct 2012, 3:58 pm

legendkillarv2

I've been feeling the same but maybe for different reasons (Ha ha!). Maybe a little reminder of how good tennis can be might help? I recently re watched the AO semi between Rafa and Fed. It was excellent. They played some beautiful tennis and there was a real fizz of tension and anticipation in the air. It was by no means one sided either and had all kinds of twists and turns in the scoreline. Also some really funny commentary by Willander who got a little carried away with the thrill of it all. I know these aren't your favorite players so maybe you didn't see it the first time? That would make it even better. Why not watch and see?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 16 Oct 2012, 7:47 pm

hawkeye wrote:legendkillarv2

I've been feeling the same but maybe for different reasons (Ha ha!). Maybe a little reminder of how good tennis can be might help? I recently re watched the AO semi between Rafa and Fed. It was excellent. They played some beautiful tennis and there was a real fizz of tension and anticipation in the air. It was by no means one sided either and had all kinds of twists and turns in the scoreline. Also some really funny commentary by Willander who got a little carried away with the thrill of it all. I know these aren't your favorite players so maybe you didn't see it the first time? That would make it even better. Why not watch and see?

But be sure to turn it off before Federer starts blubbering .. totally spoils a fantastic match

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 16 Oct 2012, 7:52 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:

But be sure to turn it off before Federer starts blubbering .. totally spoils a fantastic match
In the AO semi this year?
Have you caught the behind the scenes footage or something Wink

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 16 Oct 2012, 7:55 pm

Sorry My mistake ooops

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 16 Oct 2012, 8:01 pm

lol No worries Ok!

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 16 Oct 2012, 10:22 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:

First you should watch this years AO semi it was fantastic.

And second no way did the emotion at the end of the AO final in 2009 "spoil" what you well recognize as a fantastic match. Considering where the rivalry was between these two great players and the high quality close fought match they had played. Also considering how professional and controlled both players were throughout it wasn't surprising that some emotion leaked out at the end. Federer may have cried but Nadal looked stunned too. The way they both reacted with total respect for each other was the sign of true champions and only added to what was as you say a fantastic match.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 16 Oct 2012, 11:04 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:

And second no way did the emotion at the end of the AO final in 2009 "spoil" what you well recognize as a fantastic match. Considering where the rivalry was between these two great players and the high quality close fought match they had played. Also considering how professional and controlled both players were throughout it wasn't surprising that some emotion leaked out at the end. Federer may have cried but Nadal looked stunned too. The way they both reacted with total respect for each other was the sign of true champions and only added to what was as you say a fantastic match.

So when Federer blubs it is the sign of respect and professionalism? Not quite what you said about Wimbledon, I'm sure you will find some "Well everything is different for Fedal (swoon)" way to justify this.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 16 Oct 2012, 11:33 pm

carriege4

Well no it wasn't the same at all . I did try and explain why but obviously if you can't see it you can't see it.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 16 Oct 2012, 11:33 pm

hawkeye wrote:carriege4

Well no it wasn't the same at all . I did try and explain why but obviously if you can't see it you can't see it.

Yep, just as I thought...................

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Oct 2012, 11:42 pm

hawkeye wrote:carriege4

You know what Hawky I actually agree. It was different.

I am sure as Andy shed some tears, under his breath you could hear him saying "Andy that is sh!t!! Focus!!!!

Ok!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:16 am

AO semi was a good match but once Rafa started to get ahead there was a feeling of inevitability about it. There was a feeling of Rafa in Fed's head and he couldn't resolve it. Once Fed's game starting to get a bit brittle you felt it could only turn one way so there was less jeapardy.

Ao 09 final was a better match for me, just two gladiators going for it, twists and turns all the way.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 17 Oct 2012, 3:58 am

Even AO 09 final was a bit anti climactic in that fed just crumbled completely in the 5th set and it really wasn't that close. From the start of the 5th set it was all Rafa for the the most part. The semi against Verdasco was better. And in terms of Fedal matches Rome and Wimby 08 are much better Fed v. Nadal matches. Also the miami match early in thier career might be just as good. Don't get me wrong great match but not a really good 5th set.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:01 am

In relation though to the title of this thread my answer is that I know I will be watching and I would wager that the vast, vast majority of all of you will be watching as well. The tennis has been brilliant in 2012 leaves me hoping for more in 2013. With the current crop of stars we have I see no reason to have anything but an enthusiastic and hopeful view of what 2013 will be.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 17 Oct 2012, 7:12 am

hawkeye wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:

Sorry I do not agree and there are many out there like me who dont either... RESPECT????? You think Fed was showing his respect to Rafa... Fed was acting like a baby who had had his teddy snatched. Rafa wasn´t shocked he was embarassed poor chap had just one his first HC Slam and Rafa was too busy consolling him to enjoy it... it was a disgraceful exhibition in my view and one I fear Federer will be remembered for. Your right you dont give Rafa enough credit.. he acted like a gentleman when a lot of players would have been well miffed.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 17 Oct 2012, 7:22 am

No as a Nadal fan I liked Federer for it.
Nadal was unbelievably classy as well and comforted Roger, Federer fans should remember that before they start to bash Nadal.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 17 Oct 2012, 7:26 am

Was Federer miffed at Murray for his emotion at AO '10 and W '12? Of course not.

I'm not a big fan of people losing their bottom lip but in the end it happens, they don't put it on, and that's that. No need to make an issue of it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 17 Oct 2012, 7:30 am

BB Someone winning his FIRST GS has an edge on excuses in my book... especially when that player was the first in 70 odd years to win one for his country... A slight difference But then I would expect there to be a different code of conduct for Fed he is the GOAT after all...anything goes where he is concerned.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:33 am

H_N - did you condemn Jana Novotna for crying after she lost to Graf?

I think most posters are applying the same code of conduct to Fed and Murray (and all players) - but you're saying it's OK for other players e.g. Murray to cry, but not OK for Fed?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:55 am

I think it depend on the circumstances in my opinion. I confess to finding it hard to understand tears from a man who already had stacks of slam wins to his name. It just sort of comes across almost like watching a six-year-old kid throwing a tantrum in the shops when their mum won't buy them a toy/sweets etc. Murray's tears I could understand as he had yet to win a slam, wanted it real bad and it was bitterly disappointing to lose again. Novotna was a nearly woman for so long as well (if I remember correctly) so could understand her tears. I'd also understand tears in circumstances such as British judo woman who cried after winning a medal as she had just lost her mum.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:28 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:I think it depend on the circumstances in my opinion. I confess to finding it hard to understand tears from a man who already had stacks of slam wins to his name.

The desire to win and the pain of defeat must remain the same regardless of previous success - otherwise you're not going to win anything. I think that's part those of us without an ultra-competitive nature don't understand.
When Connors was doing his USO run in 1991, at age 39, he was lying on a bed with a drip after one 5-setter, and Nastase asked him "why are you doing this to yourself? You've already won it 5 times". Connors replied "Nasty, you don't get it. Right now, those 5 don't count".

That's why Fed cried.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:35 am

So why tears at that time and not since in slam defeats? Just to say his crying doesn't not bother me at all. Nice to know that it really means so much in my eyes.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:49 am

Like anyone, he can control his emotions at some times and not at others.
It was a 5-setter and would have equalled/beaten Sampras' record (can't remember which) - that may have added to it. He has said since that he regretted it, so perhaps since then he's made more of an effort.
Tennis players are only human. A lot of them cry in the locker room, or trash it. Didn't Agassi rub his sweaty socks all over his face for a long time in the locker room after one slam final defeat? Didn't Dkojo take a hacksaw to his rackets in a hotel?
With that sort of emotion going on, it's not surprising that one or two of them can't help showing it in public.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 17 Oct 2012, 10:18 am

Oh granted JHM and often emotions come out in different ways or forms. It doesn't really bother me at all.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 17 Oct 2012, 11:18 am

I think the Novotna cry was one of the most spontaneous - as was the Duchess's comforting reaction. Not sure if anyone has been SO far ahead so close to the end of a GS final, and still lost.
So who will be the "cry babies" of 2013 and will it be the winners who blub or the losers?

Last edited by sirfredperry on Wed 17 Oct 2012, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:28 pm

I have to say I think LK was being rather pessimistic in the opening post. 2013 could shape up to be another high quality year, with Djokiovic looking to re-establish the dominance of 2011, Murray looking to build on the success of his USO and Olympics wins, Federer looking to keep Old Father Time at bay for another year and Nadal looking to come back strongly after a long lay-off.

Add to that the likes of Del Potro looking to move himself up to this top group and away from the following pack (I think he's the best equipped to do so, but needs to improve his consistency), and hopefully Raonic moving up to a solid top 10 position as the vanguard for the new generation, and it should be another good year.

Only thing I would like is to see conditions at the AO sped up a bit, so that it is possible to hit a winner past Djokovic if you hit a good enough shot - at the moment he (and Rafa and Andy) can run down too many balls. The almost clay slow conditions, allied with the heat and the physical wear and tear from the hard court surface is not good for the longer term durability of the top players. I'm not calling for a revolution, just sufficient change to tilt the balance towards a more attacking game plan.

And on the women's side, we now have a credible #1 in Azarenka looking to build up a lead over the likes of Sharapova and Williams, plus the rapid rise of the two British girls. I'm even quite optimistic that we will see a continued move away from a pure baseline ball-bashing game in the WTA, as players like Kvitova have shown the value in having both an aggressive serve and some volleying skills.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:58 pm

On the AO crying, I think the Rafa fans have a point but have milked it a bit for some years now. Federer was a bit cringeworthy, but it was a difficult situation to be in, you never know how you are going to react.

I think Federer realised at AO09, he wasn't the number 1 anymore and there was no longer any denying it. And that was probably the match where Nadal took an unassaible lead in the rivalry. He effectively won the rivalry in that match. Since then, Federer has done well since he seems to have won about half the matches despite getting older.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 17 Oct 2012, 1:23 pm

He effectively won the rivalry in that match.
More like Federer lost the rivalry, seeing as Nadal did nothing but moonball to backhand. Gotta say Federer lacked the Spartan within in most of his losses to the bull.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:No as a Nadal fan I liked Federer for it.
Nadal was unbelievably classy as well and comforted Roger, Federer fans should remember that before they start to bash Nadal.

When Federer and Nadal play there is extra tension. They both acknowledge this and both know they will have to bring their very best tennis. What is amazing is that so often they do. In fact I would say both players have played their best tennis against each other. I would say both are quite emotional but both control their emotions on court. Both have a "game face" (more so than most). It's not really surprising that when they remove their headbands and game face after a high quality match such as the AO '09 final there might be a release of emotion.

In many ways it was similar to the Wimbledon '07 final. In that case Nadal managed to control his emotions until he got off court. In '09 Nadal was classy enough with Federer to not only comfort him but admit he understood how he felt. But in '07 Federer did the same for Nadal. What did he say? Something like he was lucky to win that one before "Rafa won them all".

We are lucky to be able to watch this great rivalry. What makes it special is that each are not only classy enough to acknowledge greatness in the other but are able to bring their best when they play each other. In many ways it would be easier for them not too as it would be easier emotionally. But they are both brave enough to lay everything on the table.

It's a shame that they seem to divide fans so much because it means so many are only able to recognize one of these players as "great". So yes I agree with you It Must Be Love.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 17 Oct 2012, 3:42 pm

They've had a few good matches but it's not every time they play each other. I also think that Nadal has to play better if he wants to beat Djokovic than if he wants to beat Fed where he just needs to go through the motions. As for the AO2009, disappointing result made even worse by Fed's display at the end. I can see how he'd be frustrated having to hit so many winners just to get a point and this wasn't like wimbledon where he was awful for a lot of the match. Nevertheless as easy as it is to say being detached from it all, I wish he'd controlled himself better. At least he hasn't repeated it since then.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 17 Oct 2012, 3:54 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:H_N - did you condemn Jana Novotna for crying after she lost to Graf?

I think most posters are applying the same code of conduct to Fed and Murray (and all players) - but you're saying it's OK for other players e.g. Murray to cry, but not OK for Fed?

O get real Julius ..this is the man you consider to be consumate professional. The Goat. The shining example by which other players are judged. The role model that all young players are urged to aspire to and the shrine at which all lovers of tennis should worship. Say anything critical about Federer all hell and damnation will be unleashed..
He was and still is heavily criticised for that little outburst of "emotion" so Im sorry if you be so offended by my comments but I stick by them nonetheless

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

In a kind of odd way Murray's tears were ok but Fed's weren't. I think Murray's been through way more with the media and random peoples' prejudice. In his naive days when he displayed personality, having this taken advantage of effectively turning the whole country against him over lies. In every final it was almost as if he was playing for the chance to have his career validated in the eyes of everyone.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:14 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:H_N - did you condemn Jana Novotna for crying after she lost to Graf?

O get real Julius ..this is the man you consider to be consumate professional. The Goat. The shining example by which other players are judged. The role model that all young players are urged to aspire to and the shrine at which all lovers of tennis should worship. Say anything critical about Federer all hell and damnation will be unleashed..
He was and still is heavily criticised for that little outburst of "emotion" so Im sorry if you be so offended by my comments but I stick by them nonetheless

I don't consider Fed the GOAT or any more or less professional than many other players. He's not even in my top 3 of personal favourite players. Nor am I offended by any criticism of him. I just consider e.g. racket smashing, and audible swearing to be worse conduct than a few tears, which is neither here nor there, from Fed, Murray, Novotna or any other player, as far as I'm concerned.
But if you're going to condemn post-match public tears, then why not condemn all players for it equally, rather than just single out Fed for criticism?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:31 pm

dummy_half wrote:I have to say I think LK was being rather pessimistic in the opening post. 2013 could shape up to be another high quality year, with Djokiovic looking to re-establish the dominance of 2011, Murray looking to build on the success of his USO and Olympics wins, Federer looking to keep Old Father Time at bay for another year and Nadal looking to come back strongly after a long lay-off.

Add to that the likes of Del Potro looking to move himself up to this top group and away from the following pack (I think he's the best equipped to do so, but needs to improve his consistency), and hopefully Raonic moving up to a solid top 10 position as the vanguard for the new generation, and it should be another good year.

Only thing I would like is to see conditions at the AO sped up a bit, so that it is possible to hit a winner past Djokovic if you hit a good enough shot - at the moment he (and Rafa and Andy) can run down too many balls. The almost clay slow conditions, allied with the heat and the physical wear and tear from the hard court surface is not good for the longer term durability of the top players. I'm not calling for a revolution, just sufficient change to tilt the balance towards a more attacking game plan.

And on the women's side, we now have a credible #1 in Azarenka looking to build up a lead over the likes of Sharapova and Williams, plus the rapid rise of the two British girls. I'm even quite optimistic that we will see a continued move away from a pure baseline ball-bashing game in the WTA, as players like Kvitova have shown the value in having both an aggressive serve and some volleying skills.

Good post Dummy, have to concur nothing wrong with the state of the game right now and the matches were brilliant this year. Some people just like to be negative, they wear their cynicism like a badge of honor. All we can do is enjoy the tennis and not let them rain on our parade.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

Its not a matter of singling him out Joshua.. that particular incident was unworthy of a champion and it is to this day as already stated "cringeworthy" Not something you would have expected from a player who some consider to be head and shoulders above the rest. And should be able to accept that "you cant win em all"

Made more so because of the embarassment he so obviously caused Rafa who has never shown him anything but respect and whose achievement at that particular Slam was unbelievable playing two matches of 5 sets back to back in less than two days.. he deserved the praise that was due to him instead the centre of attention was Federer.. Rafa consoling him was in my view one of the most gracious things that Rafa has ever done and Federer should have been apologetic ... but hey !!!! It is not something I and Nadal fans will forget and many who arn´t fans of either. I dont make any apologies for my feelings about that incident and Im more than tolerant of "emotional outbursts" but that is not an occasion that Federer should be proud of. I know where I stand on this particular incident so there is no point in
discussing it further.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

I am not a big fan of public male crying I find it a bit off putting it. Maybe that is a function of my own upbringing that favors a more macho approach to dissappointment. And at the time I did feel Roger was in a way robbing the spotlight from Nadal and I criticized fed for it. But in retrospect who cares I don't think the man did it on purpose that is how he is wired, till now I really haven't given it much thought. I am not shy of criticizing Roger when he deserves it for his behavior. BUt behavior is a bout choice and I don't think Roger chose to breakdown like that I mean he would have to be an academy award actor as well as the GOAT for that trick.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:46 pm

Just to say that Fed wasn't proud of it and he did apologise.
People cry - we can't help it at times, even when we'd rather not. It can be embarrassing, but sometimes it can't be helped.
Just because some fans hold him up to be some sort of saint isn't reason to condemn Fed himself for not being 100% perfect - you should condemn the fans unrealistic view.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:46 pm

Well maybe if he does it to Novak you might change your mind social Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 17 Oct 2012, 4:48 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Well maybe if he does it to Novak you might change your mind social Whistle

Oh, so you're only offended because it was Rafa? I guess Rafa's gracious response wasn't echoed by some of his fans then.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

Good grief! Roger crying took nothing away from Rafa. Federer was showing how much he had tried and how much the match meant to him. (Federer has also been known to cry after winning a trophy too.) If anything his tears made the trophy even more shiny and the way Nadal handled the situation did him no harm to say the least.

break_ in_ the_5th

Mmm... I think the opposite.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 17 Oct 2012, 5:08 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Well maybe if he does it to Novak you might change your mind social Whistle

Why would I care, I would be just as happy for Novak's slam regardless of Roger's tears. In fact, this may be sadistic on my part, but if Novak was in Rafa's position I actually would have liked Roger's tears. I would be behind the TV set like Eric Cartman saying, "yes give me your tears Rog, your sweet, sweet tears of sorrow". That is why I enjoyed Rog's belligerent post USO 2011 interview so much, as he was denouncing the way Novak played match point and calling it a lucky shot I was laughing and doing a little jig like a man possessed. Getting Roger to cry or be belligerent and to drop his facade of stoicism is the best compliment he can give a player.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 17 Oct 2012, 5:11 pm

It doesn't have to be a final to generate tears.

Roger was crying after beating Del Potro in the semi-final so he could get a chance to get that elusive Gold Medal at the Olympics.

Well as we all know he didn't get it but no tears were evident at the end.

Perhaps Roger being a gentleman kept them for when he got back to the locker room!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 17 Oct 2012, 5:13 pm

DelPo was sobbing away after winning the bronze wasn't he?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 17 Oct 2012, 5:14 pm

Sometimes when players are in tears after losing it might be because they feel they should never have lost. It's like Murray was cool with losing to Novak in the final of the AO but distraught at the prospect of losing to Fed the year before and then at wimbledon the year after.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 17 Oct 2012, 6:16 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:In a kind of odd way Murray's tears were ok but Fed's weren't. I think Murray's been through way more with the media and random peoples' prejudice. In his naive days when he displayed personality, having this taken advantage of effectively turning the whole country against him over lies. In every final it was almost as if he was playing for the chance to have his career validated in the eyes of everyone.

Agree re Murray but didn't really have a problem with Fed's tears either. Sometimes the tears are coming and there is nothing you can do.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next