The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIVE Fights that didnt happen in the 2000s!

+7
azania
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
bellchees
manos de piedra
compelling and rich
zx1234
Colonial Lion
11 posters

Go down

FIVE Fights that didnt happen in the 2000s! Empty FIVE Fights that didnt happen in the 2000s!

Post by Colonial Lion Tue 19 Apr 2011, 4:51 pm

Just for the purpose of some idle debate I have decided to do a series of looking at 5 big fights that didnt happen in each decade. Should the fight have happened? Who would have won? What would the consequences have been?

Going in reverse order I will start with the 2000-2010 decade:

1) Shane Mosely v Felix Trinidad

Circa 2000, both men were welterweight champions who had both scored narrow decisions over Oscar de la Hoya. One would have thought the stage was set for the two pound for pound rated fighters to meet but Trinidad was to move to Light Middleweight and the fight was never to happen. Who would have won? Anybodys guess but mine is Shane Mosely via UD.

2) Oscar De La Hoya v Winky Wright

Both men held versions of the Light Middleweight crown in the early 2000s but never managed to meet in the ring. De la Hoya had beaten Vargas who in turn had conquered Wright. But De la Hoya would go on to lose his titles to Mosely who would then lose to Wright, then establishing himself as the Light Middleweight king outright. But what would have happened had he met Oscar first? My guess in De la Hoya by UD.

3) Erik Morales v Juan Manuel Marquez

Both men held versions of the featherweight title in the early 2000s and a fight could have taken place many times at feather or superfeather. Yet out of the Barrera, Pacquaio, Morales and Marquez quartet, Morales and Marquez were the only ones not to meet. It had the ingredients of a classic with the perfect clash of styles. My prediction is Juan Manuel Marquez to eek out a contested decision.

4) Miguel Cotto v Ricky Hatton

Cotto was a title holder in the division when Hatton scored his victory over Kosta Tszyu. Hatton had acheived status as the man by virtue of beating Tszyu but opted for Maussa after. My prediction is a Cotto UD.

5) Bernard Hopkins v Roy Jones Junior II

Might be cheating a little to include a fight that already happened and eventually spawned a rematch, but both actual fights were distance the wrong side of a potential top 2 pound for pound clash in the early 2000s. Hopkins was at Middleweight then with Jones at Light Heavyweight. Much effort was put in by networks and the public called for it but the two could never agree terms. Assuming the fight would happen at Light Heavyweight, my prediction is Bernard Hopkins by UD.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

FIVE Fights that didnt happen in the 2000s! Empty Re: FIVE Fights that didnt happen in the 2000s!

Post by zx1234 Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:22 pm

tbh I'd rather see jones toney II at cruiserweight and morales hamed instead of marquez

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

FIVE Fights that didnt happen in the 2000s! Empty Re: FIVE Fights that didnt happen in the 2000s!

Post by compelling and rich Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:29 pm

calzaghe v ottke?? as poor as i thought otkke was still very unsuprsing neither of the two stay at home champs would budge. think it would have been a easy nights work for calzaghe as well

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:30 pm

1) This fight should really have happened. The top two welters at the time. Hard one to call but I would also pick Mosely to win it by decision.

2) I would plump for Wright to beat Oscar at LMW. Its hard to nail down how effective Oscar was above Welter. Wright has the defence to avoid being worn out by De la Hoya and I see his jab being effective against Oscar. however oscars lead hooks to body against Wright high defence would also be a useful weapon for De la Hoya. Wright UD for me.

3) This would be the fight I would like to see most. It just has to be a FOTY candidate. Complete contrast of styles that match up perfectly. Although in many ways Morales style is good for a counter puncher like Marquez, I just think Morales higher work rate, aggression and great chin gets him through the slow starting Marquez to take a decision. Potential for either guy to hit the canvas though at any time.

4) Although Cotto was a LWW champ when Hatton beat Tszyu I think it was really only at WW he proved himself and hit the big time so while the fight would have been a great match it was probably never seen as a top pound for pound clash. Ordinarily I would pick Cotto here but I think LWW always took something out of him. I would probably back Cotto to win but it would be tough night against an unbeaten Hatton.

5) Think the blame for this one not coming off has to rest with Hopkins. He refused to move to lightheavy or to settle for anything less than 50% which given Jones status was just for too demanding. If he had moved to Lightheavy and we are talking pre heavyweight Jones here then Jones boxes him to a decision for me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:02 pm

1) Mosely for me, I think he brings a bit more to his game than Trinidad.
2) Wright wins this one I think. There was a damn good reason no one wanted any piece of him.
3) I physically can't decide who I'd pick to win but I'm sure it would be a classic. Really hope we don't see them fight now although it is a possibility.
4) Cotto all day for me.
5) Hopkins for me. I think Jones had lost something by about 2002 so after then I'd go with Hopkins.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:04 pm

Couple more I've thought of Mayweather vs Tszyu, Hatton vs Witter and Hatton vs Gatti was banded about for a while.

1) Mosley was a bit more well rounded than Trinidad, Mosley UD.
2) Wright at LMW he seemed more natural at the weight than Oscar. Never been sure how good Oscar was at LMW or MW. Wright had the defence and jab to deal with Oscar. Wright UD
3) Morales wins what had the potential to be a classic imo. To busy for Marquez who could take a while to get going. Morales KO late
4) Cotto would have been good to watch but think it would have been another case of Hatton being out of his depth. Cotto KO in middle rounds.
5) Hopkins would win for me Jones had his best days in the 90's. Hopkins by wide UD.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:36 pm

compelling and rich wrote:calzaghe v ottke?? as poor as i thought otkke was still very unsuprsing neither of the two stay at home champs would budge. think it would have been a easy nights work for calzaghe as well

They would have fought via email.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:39 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:Just for the purpose of some idle debate I have decided to do a series of looking at 5 big fights that didnt happen in each decade. Should the fight have happened? Who would have won? What would the consequences have been?

Going in reverse order I will start with the 2000-2010 decade:

1) Shane Mosely v Felix Trinidad

2) Oscar De La Hoya v Winky Wright

3) Erik Morales v Juan Manuel Marquez

4) Miguel Cotto v Ricky Hatton

5) Bernard Hopkins v Roy Jones Junior II

Tito via UD
Wright via (slow death for the fans) SD
Morales via late KO
Cotto by TKO
Jones via wide UD.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 20 Apr 2011, 1:29 am

1)Mosley by UD or late TKO
2)De La Hoya UD
3)Juan Ma Marquez by close UD
4)Cotto late TKO
5)Hopkins UD

Its a shame these fights didn't happen especially Juan Ma Marquez vs Morales and B-Hop vs RJJ II
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:37 am

I dont think there was much to suggest Jones was faded or had lost something around 2001/2002 when the Hopkins rematch was being suggested.

He was still blitzing opponents at lightheavy and I dont think he even lost a single round between 2000-2002 really.

Its only when he comes down from heavyweight back down to lightheavy that he looks worse and the weight isues coupled with ageing seems to have finished him from 2004 onwards.

Have to consider also that Hopkins would be stepping up to Lightheavy for the first time and while he was still a force there he was probably at his best at Middleweight.

The only way any version of Hopkins beats a guy of Jones style and ability is if Jones has just faded too badly and between 2000-2002 I dont think theres anything to suggest he had faded significantly.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by punch drunk Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:43 am

Cotto was wobbled by paulie at LWW was he not?? i would say a hatton win after some good hooks to the body

punch drunk

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:49 am

punch drunk wrote:Cotto was wobbled by paulie at LWW was he not?? i would say a hatton win after some good hooks to the body

He wasnt really wobbled. He got hit a couple of times but never really hurt.

Cotto never looked as good as LWW for me so I give Hatton a better chance than most seem to as Coto did seem weaker at the weight and Hatton stronger. The pedigree is with Cotto though so its hard to look too far past that. 60/40 Cotto for me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by punch drunk Wed 20 Apr 2011, 11:06 am

i dont mean wobbled as in serious trouble wobbled, but if paulie had the power to back him up a bit, i think hattons bady attacks would wear him down. At LWW i give it to hatton, at WW, cotto

punch drunk

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 20 Apr 2011, 11:29 am

punch drunk wrote:i dont mean wobbled as in serious trouble wobbled, but if paulie had the power to back him up a bit, i think hattons bady attacks would wear him down. At LWW i give it to hatton, at WW, cotto

Bit unfair - Cotto beat Paulie from pillar to post.

That was a younger undefeated Paulie than the one Hatton beat. In addition, Cotto's hooks could seriously trouble Hatton.

I agree about the body shots - Cotto has shown in the past that he doesn't like taking body shots. However - they were from harder punchers than Hatton (ie a *possibly loaded Margarito).

Cotto has also showed himself to be incredibly slick at evading head shots and landing his own - as well as boxing off the back foot. Hatton is vulnerable to that "check hook" he was caught with against Floyd. He'd be caught against Cotto as well.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:03 pm

Hatton - Cotto at LWW is not a given, although I do agree with most of the posts, I would still have to favor Cotto 60/40. But it would have been an interesting fight watching a pre-Mayweather Hatton take on Cotto.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by punch drunk Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:07 pm

'Cotto beat Paulie from pillar to post.'

Agreed, i just think if they fought after the KT fight, hatton would unleasehed some good body attacks, that IMO a weight drained cotto wouldnt be able to withstand.

I think it would of been a classic and one i can only see on fight night for the xbox!

punch drunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down