The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The truth about the current system in Welsh rugby

3 posters

Go down

The truth about the current system in Welsh rugby Empty The truth about the current system in Welsh rugby

Post by BristolTaff Sat 20 Oct 2012, 2:05 pm

I think the current system is perfect. We must not kid ourselves.

In Wales we are much more in favour of international matches as opposed to club/regional rugby. We do not have the love or passion for club rugby like we do in match day in Cardiff. We may aswell accept for the foreseeable future, we are unlikely to have Heineken cup success and we should be thankful that teams like the Ospreys have managed to win the regional league FOUR times since its inception!

We cannot have it both ways at the moment. Just remember how barren and desolate it was being a Wales fan all through the 80's, 90's and most of the naughties. Before the 2003 RWC, even challenging for a Six Nations title was completely unthinkable. To have 3 of them in 7 years is like being on cloud 9 for anyone in Wales who has followed rugby for more than 20 years.

I firmly believe that the current youth, academy, club and regional system is the reason Wales are punching above their weight. No it will not bring Heineken cup success soon, but it's given us something we have never had before.

It does make me laugh how some players play excellent for Wales and like complete buffoons for their clubs. It's because we have world class coaches at the WRU and absolutely nothing of substance in the regions. The way they are trained to play when in the WRU environment is also better suited that the way they are coached at club/regional level.

WALES WILL GET STRONGER:

The salary cap and the exodus of players is going to bring the most golden age in Welsh rugby ever seen. Mark my words.

We have our best most experienced players playing in brilliantly competitive leagues in England and France. They are playing regular rugby and playing against other international players and they are strangling potential English and French talent. This bolsters the English and French super clubs but will be awfully detrimental to their national sides, and great for Wales.

All the talented Welsh youngsters are playing regular week in week out. There is much more fluidity between Welsh premiership clubs and regions, by that I mean more players are being given a shot at regional rugby and we are discovering more talent more quickly.

All in all the current system gives Wales a massive player pool with more players getting more games more regularly and we are also finding bucketloads of quality youngsters that we never had before.

BristolTaff

Back to top Go down

The truth about the current system in Welsh rugby Empty Re: The truth about the current system in Welsh rugby

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 20 Oct 2012, 3:41 pm

BristolTaff wrote:I think the current system is perfect. We must not kid ourselves.

In Wales we are much more in favour of international matches as opposed to club/regional rugby. We do not have the love or passion for club rugby like we do in match day in Cardiff. We may aswell accept for the foreseeable future, we are unlikely to have Heineken cup success and we should be thankful that teams like the Ospreys have managed to win the regional league FOUR times since its inception!

We cannot have it both ways at the moment. Just remember how barren and desolate it was being a Wales fan all through the 80's, 90's and most of the naughties. Before the 2003 RWC, even challenging for a Six Nations title was completely unthinkable. To have 3 of them in 7 years is like being on cloud 9 for anyone in Wales who has followed rugby for more than 20 years.

I firmly believe that the current youth, academy, club and regional system is the reason Wales are punching above their weight. No it will not bring Heineken cup success soon, but it's given us something we have never had before.

It does make me laugh how some players play excellent for Wales and like complete buffoons for their clubs. It's because we have world class coaches at the WRU and absolutely nothing of substance in the regions. The way they are trained to play when in the WRU environment is also better suited that the way they are coached at club/regional level.

WALES WILL GET STRONGER:

The salary cap and the exodus of players is going to bring the most golden age in Welsh rugby ever seen. Mark my words.

We have our best most experienced players playing in brilliantly competitive leagues in England and France. They are playing regular rugby and playing against other international players and they are strangling potential English and French talent. This bolsters the English and French super clubs but will be awfully detrimental to their national sides, and great for Wales.

All the talented Welsh youngsters are playing regular week in week out. There is much more fluidity between Welsh premiership clubs and regions, by that I mean more players are being given a shot at regional rugby and we are discovering more talent more quickly.

All in all the current system gives Wales a massive player pool with more players getting more games more regularly and we are also finding bucketloads of quality youngsters that we never had before.

Admire your passion but are you trying to convince yourself or other people?
I can't think of any welsh players preventing young talent coming through in the Amlin. The big difference is we have 12 clubs (in the Premiership) compared to 4 Superclubs, sorry Regions, so there is plenty of room to accommodate players from other countries.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

The truth about the current system in Welsh rugby Empty Re: The truth about the current system in Welsh rugby

Post by LoyalPoolaFan Sat 20 Oct 2012, 6:01 pm

Thank you, its nice to read something positive for a change

LoyalPoolaFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down