The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 50 most likely to tour with Lions - Planet Rugby.

+22
thomh
gowales
gavstar
George Carlin
RogerLewis
logie28
21st Century Schizoid Man
RubyGuby
maestegmafia
beshocked
Poorfour
Captain Charisma
BigTrevsbigmac
owenh32
GunsGerms
munkian
majesticimperialman
profitius
wales606
rodders
formerly known as Sam
Cotupina187
26 posters

Go down

Top 50 most likely to tour with Lions - Planet Rugby. Empty Top 50 most likely to tour with Lions - Planet Rugby.

Post by Cotupina187 Sat 20 Oct 2012, 6:12 pm

1. Sam Warburton: He'll be the captain, won't he? Even if Gatland decides to look elsewhere for leadership, Warburton is a certain pick in his position.

2. Stephen Ferris: At the heart of an impressive start to the season for Ulster and always impressive for Ireland he should go, barring serious injury.

3. Jamie Roberts: The only other centre who comes close to Roberts will be 34 by the time the Lions travel to Australia. His carrying will be critical.

4. Rob Kearney: If he can stay fit then most believe he is the man to wear number fifteen for the Lions next year, with Leigh Halfpenny next in line.

5. Cian Healy: His performances against the All Blacks made New Zealand's public take note while he is consistently solid for both Leinster and Ireland.

6. Alex Cuthbert: A hat-trick last week means he is the form winger in Britain and Ireland today. In our eyes right now, it will be him and Tommy Bowe.

7. Dan Cole: Still relatively young in prop years, Cole is up against Adam Jones for the starting tighthead spot but just about has the edge with us.

8. Tommy Bowe: At 29, Bowe is in the prime of his career, having matured into one of Ireland's leading players. He will surely start on the Lions wing.

9. Leigh Halfpenny: Taken as a full-back who can kick from long-range, Halfpenny is likely to be one of the names down on the list early from Gatland.

10. Rory Best: Arguably the best hooker in the northern hemisphere going off last year's Heineken Cup. It is unlikely he will miss out on a squad call.

11. Adam Jones: Has been there before and will be hungry to prove a point after the South African series loss. Jones is a barrel of strength for Wales.

12. Dan Lydiate: Currently injured but will no doubt recover and take his place in the Six Nations. From there, his power should see him make the cut.

13. Brian O'Driscoll: His experience means he will surely go, and get picked for the Tests, but will age catch up with him over the next eight months?

14. Jonathan Sexton: Solid and reliable, we would assume that Sexton is first-choice pick out of the stumbling block that is the Lions fly-half dilemma.

15. Richie Gray: Hasn't been up to the standard he set in the Six Nations but does offer a lot when in form. Gatland will hope for a return to his best.

16. George North: North bouncing off Keith Earls remains in the back of the brain and the Lions will hope he has even more in his locker when in Australia.

17. Sean O'Brien: Does things a lot of other flankers cannot. He is currently out for a few months but is likely to get back into the mix just in time.

18. Dylan Hartley: Some would have him lower but looking around the hooking stocks, the Lions need someone with a bit of grunt. Hartley ticks that box.

19. Mike Phillips: Our first scrum-half in the pile, but not by much. It's all to play for as far as number nines are concerned. He must be disciplined.

20. Tom Croft: Like O'Brien but in a different way, he offers something a lot of people in his position do not. Who knows, he could go as a flank/lock.

21. Gethin Jenkins: The reason he does not make our top 20 is that Andrew Sheridan has been ahead of him at Toulon. A good Test season will see him go.

22. Paul O'Connell: While Courtney Lawes and Richie Gray are the athletes, POC is the muscle in the lock department. Needs to stay injury free in 2013.

23. Jamie Heaslip: Where the Lions are somewhat short. David Denton, Ben Morgan and Thomas Waldrom are possibly ahead of Toby Faletau in chasing Heaslip.

24. Alun-Wyn Jones: Has bags of experience and will be a vital tour member, but it's not certain whether he will be considered a starter in the Tests.

25. Manu Tuilagi: If Roberts or O'Driscoll are injured, Tuilagi is an obvious replacement in the starting side. Gatland may even have him ahead of BOD.

26. Tim Visser: This is all down to whether the flying Dutchman, sorry Scot, can back up his Edinburgh form in international colours. If so, he's there.

27. Courtney Lawes: Was impressive last week alongside Samu Manoa and one hopes he continues to kick on for a good November and Six Nations. Lethal lock.

28. Jonny Wilkinson: Wilkinson says he is available, and without a host of quality 10s around you would have to expect the England playmaker to travel.

29. Ben Foden: Another who is currently on the treatment table. He has a big job ahead of him to get fit and back to how he was playing during this year.

30. Chris Robshaw: The current England captain, who made more turnovers in June than any other flank in the world, is an ideal pick for midweek captain.

31. David Denton: Had a strong Six Nations and will hope to rival Heaslip and the English contingent for a starting place. Should by the touring squad.

32. Geoff Parling: One of the most under-rated forwards around. Stuart Lancaster noticed what he brought to the table and we expect Gatland to as well.

33. Ross Rennie: Scotland supporters will be shouting from the rooftops for Rennie to make the cut. We don't argue with that as he was superb in 2012.

34. Danny Care: The Quins nine is currently the form scrum-half in England. If he can keep it up, then we expect it to be Phillips and Care in the 22.

35. Greig Laidlaw: We are getting down to the final few places here, which is when utility players' value can skyrocket. Laidlaw has that on his side.

36. Brad Barritt: Had a decent first tour with England earlier this year. If he can maintain form this season he should sneak in as a bustling centre.

37. Rhys Priestland: Third-choice fly-half? At this stage it would appear so. Dan Biggar may change all that though....it depends on Welsh selection.

38. Chris Ashton: No question he can finish but whether he will get the nod to start remains unclear. Should make the squad though heading Down Under.

39. Donnacha Ryan: Will probably start for Ireland in November, and his adaptability could make him an attractive pick when it comes to final places.

40. Mike Ross: Has improved by the bucket load in international colours and therefore we expect him to follow Jones and Cole in the touring selection.

41. James Hook
42. Ben Youngs
43. Ross Ford
44. Owen Farrell
45. Al Kellock
46. Jon Davies
47. Alex Corbisiero
48. Sean Lamont
49. Toby Flood
50. Thomas Waldrom

No mention of Falatau, Ben Morgan, Keith Earls

Cotupina187

Back to top Go down

Top 50 most likely to tour with Lions - Planet Rugby. Empty Re: Top 50 most likely to tour with Lions - Planet Rugby.

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 20 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

I'd take one of Morgan or Falatau over Waldrom personally. I don't really rate Earles as highly as the other centre options so I'm not surprised by his omission.

Not sure Wilkinson or Hook will make the squad either.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Top 50 most likely to tour with Lions - Planet Rugby. Empty Re: Top 50 most likely to tour with Lions - Planet Rugby.

Post by rodders Sat 20 Oct 2012, 9:25 pm

Sir Clive would take all 50.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotupina187 Sat 20 Oct 2012, 9:55 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd take one of Morgan or Falatau over Waldrom personally. I don't really rate Earles as highly as the other centre options so I'm not surprised by his omission.

Not sure Wilkinson or Hook will make the squad either.

I dont rate Earls as much as the other centres either but he can play anywhere outside the halfbacks, I give him a good chance of touring.

Cotupina187

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 20 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm

Fair point. A utility player or two are extremely helpful in a fixed squad.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 20 Oct 2012, 11:34 pm

Jonathon Davies in 45th!!! That is shocking.

Below Farrell, Hook and Kellock!

First choice 13 for me and the first choice centre for Wales (who have had the best centre partnership of the home nations recently)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 21 Oct 2012, 3:05 am

Nick Easter should also be considered.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 21 Oct 2012, 6:19 am

. Sam Warburton: He'll be the captain, won't he?
I suppose it will depend on him keeping fit enough.(does seem to get injured when it comes to big games.)

Mike Phillips? realy? Not so sure my self.

Thomas Waldrom? I am not so sure he will go to be honest.

Bryan Odriscol? Again another great player. But will he actualy travel with the Lions? It is a big questions to be honest.

The no 10 shirt will be interesting.

All though Johnny Wilkinson said he will be avalible. Will he actualy play or be more of an extra coach (kicking coach that is)

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:16 am

I stopped reading after Lawes, 'ard' in his own teeny tiny mind
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:11 am

I wouldn't bring Falateau either. Good player but there are better options.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by owenh32 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm

Views on scrum half for lions ?

owenh32

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 31 Oct 2012, 3:29 pm

"We'll pick the best players, and the captain after," Gatland told The Times.

"The thing at the moment is your captain has got to guarantee selection and there are areas where there are two or three players in a position.

"I'll back myself to make a call on someone who is not just a good captain but is playing well enough for their spot. Then if there's someone playing well who deserves to be selected over the captain, that's a tough call."

Gatland added: "I don't have a preference for a forward," he said. "It's more important that they earn the respect of the squad by performing.

Plenty on that list that wouldn't be selected on form at the moment.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Charisma Wed 31 Oct 2012, 3:29 pm

As regards North, it was McFadden he speed bumped not Earls.

Captain Charisma

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:08 pm

Plenty of sicknotes in that list, as of today...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:19 pm

Will some one please explain to me why Sam Warburton will be Lions Captain?....Is he realy good enough to be Lions captain?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:20 pm

Shocking list - how can they not include the new Scottish captain Kelly Brown yet they include Denton and Rennie?

Why S.Lamont and Farrell?

BOD that high?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:22 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Will some one please explain to me why Sam Warburton will be Lions Captain?....Is he realy good enough to be Lions captain?

When fit and on form at the world cup he was a sensation, ranked up there with Richie Mccaw and Pocock.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:26 pm

Lions captain will be Robshaw, you heard it here first Wink.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:27 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Will some one please explain to me why Sam Warburton will be Lions Captain?....Is he realy good enough to be Lions captain?

When fit and on form at the world cup he was a sensation, ranked up there with Richie Mccaw and Pocock.

maes.....I do agree with you, when "FIT " and on "FORM ". but lets be honest he has not been fit and on form for a while now. and yet he still gets being put forward not only for the "LIONS " But also as CAPTAIN.

That is what anoys me so much.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:31 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

maes.....I do agree with you, when "FIT " and on "FORM ". but lets be honest he has not been fit and on form for a while now. and yet he still gets being put forward not only for the "LIONS " But also as CAPTAIN.

That is what anoys me so much.

I can't see why it would annoy you?

There are six months before the lions tour, that is time for Warburton to find form and fitness, he'll play in eight or nine internationals.

Luckily if all else goes wrong we have Tupuric as well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

You are assuming that in 6 months time that he will be fit.

Well, may be he will. But what makes you think he will be good enough to be captain.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:You are assuming that in 6 months time that he will be fit.

Well, may be he will. But what makes you think he will be good enough to be captain.

Because he was an exceptional captain at the RWC. That is a very commonly held opinion, not just my own.

I'm not sure if you read any newspapers, but most journalists rated him very highly as captain and as an openside.

I would say that is why so many people have recommended him in their choice team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:07 pm

I read Jonathan Foxy Davies at 46 and realised there is absolutely no credibility to the "most likely" - He's probably the best centre in the NH and is languishing at 46 Yahoo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:You are assuming that in 6 months time that he will be fit.

Because he was an exceptional captain at the RWC. That is a very commonly held opinion, not just my own.

I'm not sure if you read any newspapers, but most journalists rated him very highly as captain and as an openside.

I would say that is why so many people have recommended him in their choice team.

I have nothing against Sam Warburton at all. I just think that at this time naming any one Captain of the Lions is too soon for me....Personaly i would rather wait and see ( 1 ) who makes the squad. ( 2 ) and who puts their hands during training with the squad. ( 3 ) who is the best person tp be captain.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

I have nothing against Sam Warburton at all. I just think that at this time naming any one Captain of the Lions is too soon for me....Personaly i would rather wait and see ( 1 ) who makes the squad. ( 2 ) and who puts their hands during training with the squad. ( 3 ) who is the best person tp be captain.

+1
If Gatland is true to his word (see quote above) that is exactly what he will do to.
On current form Warburton would be lucky to make a Blues 15. Doesn't mean he won't go or be captain but he needs to earn the right through playing well. He hasn't done that since the WC & in rugby terms that is a long time ago.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:40 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

1). Didn't you start a thread on the Lions the other day...

2). The Captain is always named before the squad

3). Therefor consideration for possible Captain candidates always precedes the squad selection.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:56 pm

Denton and Rennie - doubt it on current form tbh

Back to top Go down

Post by logie28 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:41 pm

Don't question his inclusion that high on the list, but to claim Ferris has been 'at the heart of an impressive start of the season for Ulster' when he has played in only 3 games, 1 as sub, and not been in his usual form, it does make a bit of a mockery of the journalistic skills involved.

ps, I also think Davies is a shoo in to tour

logie28

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:57 pm

North and Cuthbert have achieved so much considering how young they are. Their untapped potential still has a long way to go. Beasts.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:09 pm

I have printed that list.

Just in case I'm caught short without paper at a public toilet.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:31 pm

priestland over biggar??? never warning

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 11:41 am

I'm getting sick and tired of these Lions stories.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:16 pm

gowales wrote:I'm getting sick and tired of these Lions stories.

No one is forcing you to read them.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

I'm getting sick and tired of these Lions stories.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
1). Didn't you start a thread on the Lions the other day...

2). The Captain is always named before the squad

3). Therefor consideration for possible Captain candidates always precedes the squad selection.

The order they're announced in does not equal the order they're decided in. I very much doubt that they picked O'Connell as captain before they had decided he was going to be in the squad.

Still interesting to discuss, but I don't think you would ever appoint someone captain who wasn't a certainty for the squad based purely on ability.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:45 pm

6. Alex Cuthbert: A hat-trick last week means he is the form winger in Britain and Ireland today. In our eyes right now, it will be him and Tommy Bowe.

I'd say North and Visser are in better form than Cuthbert. A hat-trick one week does not automatically make him the form winger in the UK and Ireland.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

He's been playing very well for the Blues to be fair.

I can't see why they're so sure of it being him and Bowe though.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:03 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I read Jonathan Foxy Davies at 46 and realised there is absolutely no credibility to the "most likely" - He's probably the best centre in the NH and is languishing at 46 Yahoo thumbsup

The midfield is distorted by the 'BOD' factor.

Roberts at 12 and Tuilagi or JD2 at 13 (depending on whether Gatland wants the outside centre running over or around defenders) is by far the strongest pick, but people want BOD in the team because he's a 'legend' - even though he'd need a motorbike to keep pace with the Aussie backs nowadays.

Love the reference to Adam Jones as a 'barrel' of strength! Laugh

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:20 pm

gowales wrote:He's been playing very well for the Blues to be fair.

I can't see why they're so sure of it being him and Bowe though.

There's no doubting that, but if the 4 in the Rabo keep up their form I'd say it's Visser and North before Cuthbert and Bowe.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm

Snap...

Judging by half the Lions threads on this site.....all the England, Scotland and Ireland players may aswell book their summer holidays now...cos its going to be Wales v Australia... Rolling Eyes

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:48 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Snap...

Judging by half the Lions threads on this site.....all the England, Scotland and Ireland players may aswell book their summer holidays now...cos its going to be Wales v Australia... Rolling Eyes

The best thing is people are putting in people like Adam Jones and BOD when both are probably one knock off retirement (and currently out injured too). Come the end of the AIs we will have a clue who is up to what, but we won't really know til the 6Ns and most of that will still be my team are better than yours.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:53 pm

Thats very true Scarlet... thumbsup

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down