The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray out of Basel

+7
time please
sportslover
Danny_1982
banbrotam
Born Slippy
Mad for Chelsea
bogbrush
11 posters

Go down

Murray out of Basel Empty Murray out of Basel

Post by bogbrush Sun 21 Oct 2012, 5:34 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/20020862

Dodgy back, apparently. Better to be cautious.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Murray out of Basel Empty Re: Murray out of Basel

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 21 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

probably just being cautious with Paris and the WTF just around the corner, especially after what happened last year.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 21 Oct 2012, 5:56 pm

Right for Murray but sounds like he could probably have handled the withdrawal better. Not the Basel organisers' favourite person!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:13 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Right for Murray but sounds like he could probably have handled the withdrawal better

In what way, exactly?

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:29 pm

I'm quite pleased actually. I really want him to do well in London now that the vast majority of Brits have finally taken to him.

Last year he played too much tennis at this time, and it cost him. Glad to hear he's being more cautious this time.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:56 pm

"Not the Basel organisers' favourite person!"

For what reason apart from him beating their beloved Son on their last two meetings?

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

sportslover wrote:"Not the Basel organisers' favourite person!"

For what reason apart from him beating their beloved Son on their last two meetings?
Such anger. picard
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:38 pm

sportslover wrote:"Not the Basel organisers' favourite person!"

Probably because Andy requested a wild card from Basel late in the day last year and then promptly withdrew, and now he is a no show at the 11th hour for the second year running.

I would have thought Murray fans would remember that he was injured at the last minute for the Swiss Open last year.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:43 pm

All Andy can do is make the decisions that are right for him and save himself for the bigger tournaments that lie ahead, Good decision to recharge his batteries and rest the niggling injuries.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:51 pm

Absolutely. Not disagreeing with you there CC, just pointing out why the Basel tournament director would be disappointed with him.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:06 pm

time please wrote:Absolutely. Not disagreeing with you there CC, just pointing out why the Basel tournament director would be disappointed with him.

Not that any of the others ever do this at any other events of course Whistle Andy, does it and it's 'newsworthy' for some reason

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:15 pm

It was the headline on the BBC web-site tennis section, so it that sense it clearly is newsworthy.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:26 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:It was the headline on the BBC web-site tennis section, so it that sense it clearly is newsworthy.

Aww but come on JHM it is the BBC. How many times have they had a tennis great praising Murray but the report gets discredited as a publicity stunt by the BBC?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:31 pm

banbrotam wrote:
time please wrote:Absolutely. Not disagreeing with you there CC, just pointing out why the Basel tournament director would be disappointed with him.

Not that any of the others ever do this at any other events of course Whistle Andy, does it and it's 'newsworthy' for some reason
You asked, he told you.

Probably 'thanks' would have been more appropriate than ill-directed sarcasm?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:37 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:It was the headline on the BBC web-site tennis section, so it that sense it clearly is newsworthy.

Aww but come on JHM it is the BBC. How many times have they had a tennis great praising Murray but the report gets discredited as a publicity stunt by the BBC?

It's on the ESPN site as well. Obviously it is newsworthy, so I'm not sure what previous Murray articles have to do with it.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:42 pm

I guess Basel will be disappointed. They were probably hoping for a Roger v Andy final. It's unfortunate it has happened 2 years in a row. He had to pull out after 1 match of the WTF last year, clearly put a bit too much in to the late stretch last year.

But if Murray even slightly doubts his own fitness, he's doing the right thing. Hopefully the rest will do the job and he'll be at full strength for Paris and London.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm

The seeding is for yet another Fed v JMDP match then. #7 for the year, but the 0-6 record for the big guy doesn't really back up the theory that he's ready to present any kind of threat at the top these days.

Pity, he looked very good in 2009.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 21 Oct 2012, 11:23 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

It's on the ESPN site as well. Obviously it is newsworthy, so I'm not sure what previous Murray articles have to do with it.

Well the BBC site doesn't actually refer to where the Basel organisers are angered and neither does the ESPN report. Must be missing something somewhere. Shocked
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 21 Oct 2012, 11:25 pm

Rather unfortunate for both Basel and Murray. At least the draw was made after the withdrawal, otherwise it would have been a very lopsided draw with JMDP ending up in Federer's half and Murray's half would have been unbalanced.

What is concerning now is that the end-of-season seems to get blighted by injuries frequently.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 21 Oct 2012, 11:39 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Well the BBC site doesn't actually refer to where the Basel organisers are angered and neither does the ESPN report. Must be missing something somewhere. Shocked

The Basel website suggests they aren't best pleased - not that that is a massive concern. The reason I said I thought it sounded like he could have dealt with it a bit better is that it sounds like Basel found out from the ATP. Maybe he did personally tell the tournament but that hasn't been reported.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Mon 22 Oct 2012, 12:25 am

The events prefer it for players to pull out at the last moment. They probably knew he was going to pull out a while ago but asked him to hold back with the announcement.

I guess they've got to say they're annoyed and it's a big blow though. They can't announce that they knew and the late annoucement was all about ticket sales.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 22 Oct 2012, 7:11 am

I doubt ticket sales at Basel have much to do with anyone, as long as Federer is there.

I haven't seen the Basel site but if they've expressed annoyance will anyone believe them, given the strength of feeling on this thread to refute any reason for it?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 22 Oct 2012, 8:48 am

bogbrush wrote:I doubt ticket sales at Basel have much to do with anyone, as long as Federer is there.

I haven't seen the Basel site but if they've expressed annoyance will anyone believe them, given the strength of feeling on this thread to refute any reason for it?

I agree with the first point. On the second point - try visiting the Basel website and you'll find very little in the way of out and out fury or anything remotely like it. As far as I can see. You may be able to find differently but I can't find it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 22 Oct 2012, 9:43 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I doubt ticket sales at Basel have much to do with anyone, as long as Federer is there.

I agree with the first point. On the second point - try visiting the Basel website and you'll find very little in the way of out and out fury or anything remotely like it. As far as I can see. You may be able to find differently but I can't find it.
I think Born Slippy is the guy to take that up with, he seems convinced they are peed off. I can see why if it's two years on the run (I thought Federer was being poor when it looked like he'd pull out of Shanghai after promising last year).
If he's injured, he's injured, but depends on how it's done; didn't Murray pull out of something a few years ago without being polite about it (like phoning the TD, apologising, that sort of thing)?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 22 Oct 2012, 9:59 am

As far as I am concerned, and now perhaps more so in the light of Rafa's predicament, players have to look after No.1 first health-wise and is the only way to be. The Basel Open isn't a Masters1000 either so to play and aggravate niggling injuries at this time of the season would be lunacy. I'd say the fact that Andy went into the WTF last year with a niggling injury he is trying to avoid the same thing happening this year. No harm in that and if it offends Basel organisers then so be it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:18 am

The Basel website has a news article which uses phrases like the decision to pull out wont have won him any new fans, isnt really acceptable and that there is a general cool feeling towards him. Its hardly an expression of outright fury and i havent seen any official statement but they clearly arent best pleased. Bearing in mind tomorrow has been specifically marketed as British day, to reflect Murray's presence, you can understand why. Unless the article has been put up without any authorisation from the actual TD, id say it is a bit too strongly worded to fit in with DJ's view above. Obviously all speculation though. As has been said, right decision for him.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:41 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:As far as I am concerned, and now perhaps more so in the light of Rafa's predicament, players have to look after No.1 first health-wise and is the only way to be. The Basel Open isn't a Masters1000 either so to play and aggravate niggling injuries at this time of the season would be lunacy. I'd say the fact that Andy went into the WTF last year with a niggling injury he is trying to avoid the same thing happening this year. No harm in that and if it offends Basel organisers then so be it.
Doesn't hurt to do the right thing AND be polite though.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:48 pm

Hmm so Andy is guilty now on what evidence? And even if it is the case then he certainly will not be the first or last of the players to offend tournament organisers. I suppose the more noise the organisers make over this is more evidence of how much they wanted him there.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:03 pm

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

I think Born Slippy is the guy to take that up with, he seems convinced they are peed off. I can see why if it's two years on the run (I thought Federer was being poor when it looked like he'd pull out of Shanghai after promising last year).
If he's injured, he's injured, but depends on how it's done; didn't Murray pull out of something a few years ago without being polite about it (like phoning the TD, apologising, that sort of thing)?

you're probably thinking of Marseille in (I think) 09 when he was recovering from a virus. IIRC he asked for a WC for himself and Jamie to enter the doubles, and then pulled out having not got over his illness. The TD wasn't pleased at all.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:50 pm

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:As far as I am concerned, and now perhaps more so in the light of Rafa's predicament, players have to look after No.1 first health-wise and is the only way to be. The Basel Open isn't a Masters1000 either so to play and aggravate niggling injuries at this time of the season would be lunacy. I'd say the fact that Andy went into the WTF last year with a niggling injury he is trying to avoid the same thing happening this year. No harm in that and if it offends Basel organisers then so be it.
Doesn't hurt to do the right thing AND be polite though.

BB. There is nothing anywhere to suggest he hasn't been polite. I'd still be annoyed as an organiser as a Fed/Murray final (projected) is the game most now want to see, given this years reasonably entertaining matches

I also have no problem when Fed does the same. The players have a right to pull out whenever they want, if their bodies are telling them to do so. The last thing we want is any of the current Top 3 harming themselves for Paris / O2 and even AO which is only 2 months or so after the O2 ends

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 22 Oct 2012, 9:40 pm

Yes, of course they do. I did kick the thread off by saying he is right to pull out. I also have zero idea whether he's handled it politely, or rather whether he did it badly.

I hope he phoned the TD, especially with it being 2nd year on the trot. I thought Fed went well out of his way to apologise to Shanghai last year, and when I thought he was pulling out this year I thought it would be really bad.

Modern top sportsmen do sometimes let themselves down.

I honestly like Murray; he's got a good sense of humour, doesn't 'dance' for the media, and is my 2nd favourite top player.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 22 Oct 2012, 9:58 pm

Obviously, you would hope and think he did contact the TD or someone on his team did. Like I say its best if he has a niggling injury to rest it in a bid to ensure he turns up fit for the bigger tournaments that end the season as his WTF was blighted last year by injury.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 22 Oct 2012, 10:37 pm

I obviously hope Andy was respectful to the TD, but to be completely honest as long as he's 100% for the last 2 big tournaments I don't really care. He's probably mentally quite drained after an epic summer and autumn which even for him has been eventful. Career defining wins and a couple of losses from match points up... And he did look like he was struggling a bit physically towards the end against Novak.

That's not to detract from Novak's win, in fact it's credit to him. He was outlasted in New York and then outlasted Andy in shanghai. Good turnaround from his point of view.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down