The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This weekend's action

+3
two_tone
BallchinianMuffwig
Union Cane
7 posters

Go down

This weekend's action Empty This weekend's action

Post by Union Cane Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Sky Sports offer us the latest installment of the Prizefighter series, this time being the turn of the light middleweights. No big names this time round, but there is a potentially exciting new feature, as Matchroom are offering a bonus of £2,000 for a knockout victory. Expect some bombs to fly!

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/8217254/Prizefighter-Light-middleweights-III

Over on BoxNation we have Marco Huck defending his WBO Cruiserweight title against 42 year old Firat Arslan. Always a big draw in Germany, 'Captain' Huck will be looking to impress another full house at the Gerry Weber Stadium.

http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-matches/marco-huck-v-firat-arslan/

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

This weekend's action Empty Re: This weekend's action

Post by Union Cane Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:25 pm

alma wrote:Not too fussed about prizefighter though. Unless there's an exciting youngster or faded 'name' I don't normally bother. Having said that, I think it's a good concept and I don't see why we can't have more tournaments like it.

I think the KO bonus is a good idea, as a lot of Prizefighter bouts only come to life in the last 30 seconds of round 3.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 pm

nothing blows hot and cold like prizefighter does! cant be bothered with a load of UD's...

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Is 2k a big enough incentive when you could leave yourself open and in turn lose your shot at the 32k?

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:52 pm

For the money they must make off it you have to wonder why they havent upped the prize fund. I suppose Floyd isn't likely to feature in the next welterweight tournament so they can get away with it. Reckon 8k would be good incentive though, only 1/4 of the final prize but enough and get them looking for it.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Been a little quiet last couple of weeks. Roll on the bigger cards

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Disagree....

Why should cultured fighters with talent have to come out of their shell and engage over a limit that doesn't suit them!!

I like it but it's for unheralded novices and fighters looking for one last hurrah...

and that's how it should remain...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 pm

alma wrote:I think if the prize money was upped, it could potentially become a really big deal. I realise that's a fairly obvious thing to say, but I like the concept. At least it gets us away with obsessions with unbeaten records, mismatches etc etc.

I mean, we all know who the best tennis players in the world are, but who knows how many times nadal has beaten federer. And who cares? We just know they're both great players and they've had some great matches.

Could the same tournament concept be applied to boxing?

Tennis players can play a world class tennis match every week, every couple of days even.

Boxers don't have that luxury. They do have to be a little more picky. If someone loses they get slaughtered most of the time and there stock goes down, whether you like it or not, Tennis players always have another tournament to redeem themselves a week later,

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:28 am

Bite returns as well I believe. Can't remember who he's fighting but it'll be extremely low risk I'm sure.

I haven't seen a Prizefighter since the one Audley won so a long time. I think the ko bonus is a good idea.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down