The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ospreys

+5
grumpymog
ScarletSpiderman
I Blame Coco
Cari
ospreylian
9 posters

Go down

The Ospreys Empty The Ospreys

Post by ospreylian Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:22 am

The end of this season is almost here and the future for the Ospreys looks very muddy.

Hook........gone.
Byrne........gone.
Holah........gone
Collins.......gone
Mitchell......gone
Phillips.......going
Tiatia, coach........gone.

That's one hell of a list compounded by other disturbing rumours.

There have, at various times, been stories surrounding Andrew Hore and Scott Johnson and their futures at the Ospreys, and they persist. Additionally, the players that have been announced as recruits are generally of a lower standard than those who are leaving. While that in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, it does give the youngsters greater chances of appearing regularly, it could also signal an end to the high aspirations that the region have always aspired too.
There is also the added complication of Neath, the Principality Premiership re-organisation and the latest news that Richard Webster, head coach of swansea, is leaving them to take up a job with Neath, but on the way lambasting Andrew Hore for his attitude towards Swansea and O's academy players.

When all these things are put together a slightly different picture begins to emerge, one that suggests that all is not well in Ospreylia. Stories of player disharmony have been around for some time, now it seems they may be affecting the coaching regime.
I don't know the truth of it all but i do know that through it all Sean Holley sails supreme. Rolling Eyes

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

The Ospreys Empty Re: The Ospreys

Post by Cari Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:38 am

Oh Ospreylian, such a bleak post! Sad

To be honest, the majority of those leaving need to. It's their time. That's the way of professional rugby; and Byrne, Collins and Phillips are past their peak to be honest so I won't miss them that much. They've been good servants for the O's, but it's time to let them go.

The whole Neath/Ospreys fall out is just a childish stubborn disagreement between the management, and with the recent changes announced to the Welsh Premiership, they'll be forced into resolving it or Neath will be out in the cold altogether.

Having said that I don't think a management reshuffle would do any harm, although it won't solve all the issues, a change is as good as anything, and could make a difference. I think there will be a management restructure before long regardless of whether or not they change the head coach.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by I Blame Coco Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Probably looking at a starting XV next season of
15. Corey Jane (if the rumours are to be believed) / Fussell / Prydie
14. Bowe
13. Bishop
12. Beck
11. Shane / Walker
10. Biggar
9. Kahn / Webb

1. Dunc
2. Hibbard
3. Adam
4. AWJ
5. Evans
6. JT
7. J-Tip
8. Ryan

The Jane rumour is just that, but if it came to fruition would be a great signing. Failing that that isn't really a backline (especially a midfield) that is going to strike fear into the hearts of Europes best. The pack on the otherhand is staying pretty much the same. J-Tip has come on nicely under Holah whilst the front V is remaining the same. The only real shame in the pack is that it's Collins leaving and not JT!

From the stories i hear the O's are very much fed up with losing their players to Team Wales for large parts of the season, getting rid of their high Welsh earners opens doors for quality NWQ players who can play all season. They may face a year or two of poor results in the HC but hopefully youngsters such as Prydie, Phillips, Walker, Allen, Tupiric and Morgan can evolve into HC quality players within 3-4 years.

I Blame Coco

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:10 pm

To be honest even though the players leaving are of a higher standard than those that are coming in, there is also the RWC to consider. The players leaving would most likely have been heavily involved, and probably just a little battered and bruided, especially considering our world cup group.

You should have a pretty solid team for next season, and i would not be suprised if the lack of stars actually helps build a bit of a Dragons mentallity of they all slag us off lets prove them wrong.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by I Blame Coco Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:18 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
You should have a pretty solid team for next season, and i would not be suprised if the lack of stars actually helps build a bit of a Dragons mentallity of they all slag us off lets prove them wrong.

Lets hope the Ospreys never build a Dragons mentallity. Only winning 5 or 6 league games a season and not being able to win away is not a position you want to be in.

I Blame Coco

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:25 pm

I Blame Coco wrote:
Lets hope the Ospreys never build a Dragons mentallity. Only winning 5 or 6 league games a season and not being able to win away is not a position you want to be in.

The Dragons won at the Liberty Satdium this season, so i guess that means they can win away ;-)

Also they are doing better this season than they have since Mike Ruddock left (i believe), so it would seem that they are doing something right.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:58 pm

SS Don't really want to get into the Dragons "thing" but didn't they finish above scarlets last year?

Cari....dont believe it is a bleak post, I simply reported those things I'm hearing, plus the known facts.

For the record i would much prefer that we went down the road of just 4 NWQ at max and no residents. Firm believer in letting the kids free.

BUT,. and it's quite a big one, the apparent lack of true team spirit evident both on and off the pitch does look to be hampering our progress.
I supported the hiring of Scott Johnson, and I still stand by that, but things are not right at Llandarcy and the only constant through it all is Sean Holley.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:53 am

just to muddy the waters even more is the news that Matthew Morgan HAS APPROACHED THE DRAGONS.
This has been a rumour for around two weeks now, but there are also rumours surrounding at least THREE more academy players wanting away.
Two of them have played for the Ospreys.

to put the record straight on morgan, he has been said to have "issues" with the management over training and taking instruction. A huge talent but with no defence.

More worrying are those stories about the others.

time for the Ospreys to come clean I believe.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by I Blame Coco Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:45 am

OUTGOING Swansea coach Richard Webster has launched a scathing attack on Andrew Hore, the Ospreys' elite performance director, citing him as the reason he has quit St Helen's.

Webster has resigned after four years as Swansea head coach to join Neath as assistant coach.

The former British Lions tourist claims he has had a running battle with Hore trying to get Ospreys players released to the semi-pro team, as well as getting other Swansea players recognised by the region.

The Ospreys have defended their stance and insist Swansea remain a key part of their future plans.

Webster said: "I'm not a bad bloke and I haven't had a bad coaching career, but there comes a time when you have to walk away because I was getting zero respect from Andrew Hore. I wouldn't be going if there was a different regime in charge.

"I know if I stay here that my presence would be detrimental to the club and that's why I'm going.

"He holds all the players and the key to everything so I can't battle with him because he has already won.

"Even me bending over backwards for two years hasn't done me any favours. I didn't in his first year and he gave me just two players all season — Steve Tandy and Tom Smith for one game each. The club suffers when we don't get these quality players.

"I love the place but the club will thrive better without me.

"I haven't got a hidden agenda — I just want to coach people. I want to do well for Swansea and I want to do well for the youngsters at Swansea. I am disappointed with Roger Blyth because I would have thought he knew what I was about. Roger knows what I'm about as a player and as a person. I don't think he has stood up for me and I will be telling him. I didn't want to be an Ospreys coach. I wanted to be a coach at Swansea."

Blyth, the region's joint managing director, said: "We see Swansea RFC as an integral part of our plans moving forward, taking into account the proposed changes to the Welsh Premiership.

"It's disappointing to read Richard's comments and that he felt he couldn't be a part of what we are trying to do here.

"We wish him the best for the future."

Swansea director Richard Moriarty added: "I've worked closely with Richard , I'm aware of his frustrations and fully appreciate them. But I also have a relationship with Andrew Hore and we're looking to improve things.

"Professional rugby is still evolving and for the Ospreys, Andrew is at the front of that. There are frustrations, but that's the situation you're going to have as things change in any walk of life."

Something is definitely not right in Ospreylia.

I Blame Coco

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:01 am

Ospreylain - they did, and that is why i think having that team feeling like a family spirit is a good thing.

Any idea who the other three academy players on the move are? I don't think that moving to the Dragons would be a sensible move for young Morgan to be honest. He is a young and talented attacking fly half, but at the Dragons they have a young and talented attacking fly half in Tovey at the moment. So unless Tovey is moving this summer it would seem a bit of a poor move for Morgan as he will be playing second fiddle to a similar style player. At least if he were to stay with the Ospreys (or move to the Blues) he would be a different style to the current holders of the No. 10 jersey and IMO he woul have a better chance at starting/
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:40 pm

I feel that the elevation of Hore is an indicator of things to come, SJ is stepping into his shoes and that leaves a vacancy for a head coach.
Now unless Holley gets it I see someone from outside coming in.

AH and SJ do have strong ties with Hansen and he will be available after the WC, but Hore also has very strong links with the most successful team in the world at club level, Crusaders. Like the Ospreys they were a manufactured team without history and that is what he's trying to replicate here. So, it could be someone with strong ties to the Crusaders.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by grumpymog Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 pm

As far as I can see Swansea are one of a number of Premiership "feeder" clubs for the Ospreys, others being Tonmawr, Aberavon and Neath, however there appear to be "issues" between Neath and the Ospreys at the moment. There is also Bridgend who have done very well in Division 1 West.

Having looked at the Swansea team sheets on more than one occasion this season, the All Whites seem to have been blessed with more Osprey and Osprey Academy players (and higher "profile" Osprey players come to that) than some of their counterparts. It is my opinion that the All Whites have done a lot better than some of their counterparts re accessing Osprey players and should not complain. Surely the Ospreys have a duty to promote and support all the teams in their region and not just one. I cant see the Aberavon or Tonmawr coaches complaining about having access to the lad Morgan at outside half or Prydie? to name 2.

There are a lot of comments being bandied around by so called experts re the merits of the Premiership, sharing out players evens the playing field up as opposed to concentrating resources in one or 2. Who wants to see uncompetitive games where 1 side is steam rolling the other? Concentrating regional players in 1 team will do this, games against Pontypridd, Neath and Llanelli (who are well supported by the Scarlets) would be close, but everything else would probably end up in 1 team being trounced. Swansea is a big city club and needs to do better with the resources available to them.

Interest in the Premiership is already waning, huge mismatches will do nothing to promote the game. The WRU needs to look at the issue of the Regions and players appearing for Premiership clubs, how can it be right for a Regional player to play for different clubs from the same region in the same competition. What we need is an American Football Draft type system where Regional players are allocated to Premiership teams at the start of the season and cannot be changed willy nilly, for example Scarlets players should be registered with Llanelli, or Llandovery or Carmarthen Quins and restricted to appear for the one club, unlike the present system.

grumpymog

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 am

Don't lose heart ospreylian. Losing your big names might be the best thing in the long run. Younger players without a reputation will give it everything and should play as a team. Sometimes when things are bad a fresh start can work wonders.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 am

Schrodinger's Cat Today at 9:21

Actually I'm not losing heart, I said to my wife after the Heineken game in Reading that I was doubtful of renewing my season ticket.
There were a number of reasons for this:
My advancing years.........cold, cold winters are hard.
Makes travelling to games difficult too.
Ever dwindling resources means the pennies have to be watched.
But the cruncher for me was the lack of HEART displayed by too many in the team, that lack was highlighted by the displays when the second stringers played. They showed they cared AND IT'S FOR THAT AND THE CLEAROUT that I will renew for next year.
I look forward to some exciting games 2011/12.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am

Ospreylian - There is a simple answer to your problems

1. Cold winters - Go to a ground that is filled quite often
2. Travelling - Go a ground nearer
3. Money is tight - Go to a cheaper ground (i think it is cheaper)
4. Team with no heart - Go to a ground where the team have shown real heart.

Also they have a similar chant to the Ospreys

:run2:
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:30 pm

SS is it true that you've been secretly dating Kiera Knightley AND that you live in Dew Street!

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:59 am

15. Corey Jane (if the rumours are to be believed) / Fussell / Prydie
14. Bowe
13. Bishop
12. Beck
11. Shane / Walker
10. Biggar
9. Kahn / Webb

1. Dunc
2. Hibbard
3. Adam
4. AWJ
5. Evans
6. JT
7. J-Tip
8. Ryan

Actually if you look at this team posted there is nothing wrong with it. As for the players leaving? Well most of them havent even played that well for a few seasons. Most simply use the Ospreys to go into business for themselves and get noticed for Wales selection. They don't play as a team and I think the coaching staff are worried that if they dont sort it out they will be picking up their P45's sooner rather than later.
Secondly the players dont seem to listening to the coaches so maybe the coaches have rounded up the ring leaders and shipped them out?
Players like Bryne, Phillips and Henson have all gone.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:09 pm

Got to agree Alyn, that team looks good with the exception of JT watched him closely at the Liberty last week and all too often he was late to the breakdown, if there at all.Tom smith looks better all round.
Players I'd keep are :
Dunc, Bev, James
Hibbard,
Adam and Cai ( because as yet there is no on else)
AWJ
Gough
Ianto
Ryan
Smith
Tips (captain)
Stowers
Webb
fortuali'i
Biggar
Beck
Bishop
Owen
Bowe
Walker
Fussel
Shane
I haven't noted the youngsters all the rest can go for me.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue May 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Is JB1973 coming over Osreylian?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 pm

If he does come over we will get the Wales team early

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 pm

glas a du

Invited him several times but so far he hasn't jumped, tried for Ospreydragon too, but happy that Alyndavies, who did say he preferred another site, has now found sense.

Guess we'll know soon enough.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed May 25, 2011 7:09 pm

If they tried it they might like it. Jb is a valued contributor to any debate.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri May 27, 2011 10:03 pm

I'll be honest I wasnt going to get a season ticket for next season, but the more time goes on the more optimistic im becoming. Myself and my 2 brother in laws will be season ticket holders this season, the free Ospreys jersey included in the £165 fee, which included 17 games (11 magners, 3 lv pool, 3 European pool games) + the friendlies we play, including Russia. Basically it works out less than £8 a game.

Secondly its common knowledge there is a massive problem amongst many of the senior Welsh internationals and the coaching team, many of these players have now been ejected from the region. I think with a little team spirit a younger, more hungry Ospreys side could do well.
Bryne, Phillips, Hook, Collins and a few others have looked awfully bored this season and them leaving will benefit us. Because of their wages they were always going to be picked in the team regardless of their form, so not having them is a bonus, it gives some of the younger lads a chance to stamp their claim for a first team place.
I do think Gough and Huw Bennett should of been released also though.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sat May 28, 2011 12:28 pm

It's interesting Glas a du that you call JB1973 and not Osprey JB1973, he lost his password when they changed the format and so re-registered as the latter...........he will be more than welcome as will Ospreydragon and indeed any decent rugby debater, but to me he will always be JB.

Alyn, I have a season ticket in the East stand row G 125 it was class "C" but I now see that all the lower tier has been reclassed as "C", makes for VERY cheap rugby and for me if the weather is poor, I can afford to miss the odd game.
As I understand it one more may yet be on his way, dont yet have a name, but agree that the "star" players did come back from the Welsh camp with a poor attitude, all starting with Henson and with cuyddy's blessing he got away with it.
I donet expect wonders from this new team but real effort and endeavour will do me.
Pop over and say hello at half time sometime EH"

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat May 28, 2011 7:32 pm

ospreylian wrote:Alyn, I have a season ticket in the East stand row G 125 it was class "C" but I now see that all the lower tier has been reclassed as "C", makes for VERY cheap rugby and for me if the weather is poor, I can afford to miss the odd game.
As I understand it one more may yet be on his way, dont yet have a name, but agree that the "star" players did come back from the Welsh camp with a poor attitude, all starting with Henson and with cuyddy's blessing he got away with it.
I donet expect wonders from this new team but real effort and endeavour will do me.
Pop over and say hello at half time sometime EH"

I'm in F131, lol! so one row in front and six seats across.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down