The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Innovative tactics and selections?

+17
GunsGerms
Pot Hale
damage_13
hugehandoff
Ozzy3213
offload
Poorfour
ChequeredJersey
Luckless Pedestrian
lostinwales
disneychilly
fa0019
George Carlin
SecretFly
thebluesmancometh
kiakahaaotearoa
TJ1
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Innovative tactics and selections? - Page 2 Empty Innovative tactics and selections?

Post by TJ1 Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

This may be a bit daft and naive but is there no way of developing innovative tactics any more? as far as i can see no one has tried anything radically new for a while - nothing came to light in the WC nor in any internationals I have seen recently.

is this down to conservative coaching or have all possible variations been tired and failed?

things such as all the backs lining up directly behind the scrum and only fanning out as the ball is in play? Things like I saw the Canadians do a good few years ago using an enormous American football style pass to go from a scrum one side of the field direct to the other side winger? like putting a back on an attacking scrum to leave one of your flankers in the inside centre channel? More "trick plays" like American football? all teams seem to use similar patterns and I would have thought innovative plays especially in world cups could be to your advantage?

also on selection - why does the 10 have to take the place kicks? why not find out who your best place kicker is and train him up? Is inside centre so different to outside centre? 6 to 7 etcetc Guys like Ritchie vernon - a great player. can no where be found for him to play in the scotland team?

World cups from a while ago I remember teams unveiling new tactics and types of plays but nothing seems to have been developed for a long time - or are innovations just more subtle now? are coaches afraid to experiment or have conventional tactics been proved to be the best?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Innovative tactics and selections? - Page 2 Empty Re: Innovative tactics and selections?

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 14 Nov 2012, 12:23 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Remember watching ireland A v England a few years ago. Ireland got a penalty and signalled a kick to the posts. The English lined up mostly under the posts and around that area so Jeremy Staunton kicked to the corner of the field with his place kick and the Ireland winger caught it and scored. Nice!!

Percy Montgomery did the same for tge Dragons, except maybe it was a tap and go

The kicker cannot have signalled he was kicking at goal - or at least in a way that the referee was aware. If he had then anything else is not allowed. Of course what I have seen, while reffing, is a team indicating they were kicking at goal. Put it on the tee then from that position kick to the corner. Thankfully the winger failed to reach it - as I am not sure what I would have done.

What happened was Montgomery had hit all his kicks perfectly and the other team resigned themselves to the 3 points without checking and were on their way back so they tapped and went
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Innovative tactics and selections? - Page 2 Empty Re: Innovative tactics and selections?

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 14 Nov 2012, 12:25 pm

LT

Once the ball has left the tee it's open play again, the attacking team is free to regain the ball at anytime after that, so kicking from the tee to the corner for your own winger is perfectly legal, as long as he was onside at the time of the kick!!

Happened to us a few times last season, not on purpose though!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 14 Nov 2012, 5:25 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Remember watching ireland A v England a few years ago. Ireland got a penalty and signalled a kick to the posts. The English lined up mostly under the posts and around that area so Jeremy Staunton kicked to the corner of the field with his place kick and the Ireland winger caught it and scored. Nice!!

Percy Montgomery did the same for tge Dragons, except maybe it was a tap and go

The kicker cannot have signalled he was kicking at goal - or at least in a way that the referee was aware. If he had then anything else is not allowed. Of course what I have seen, while reffing, is a team indicating they were kicking at goal. Put it on the tee then from that position kick to the corner. Thankfully the winger failed to reach it - as I am not sure what I would have done.

Thats exactly what Staunton did. He put it on the tee and kicked to the corner. Genius!!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 5:27 pm

I still think deliberatly kicking to the corner could be deemed unsportsmanlike conduct or some such and either a penalty given or a red card.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2